Rob's High Intensity Training Log

Create and maintain your own personal online journal. Log your meals and/or workouts, and monitor your progress. Hold yourself accountable and receive support, suggestions, and be open to feedback.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

HIT Rob
Gorilla

Re: Rob's High Intensity Training Log

#466 Postby HIT Rob » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:00 pm

24-10-16
Chest
1. Flat DB Bench Press (v grip / better contraction and less impingement)
2x40kg x 5
2x50kg x 5
2x60kg x 5 (YESSSS!!)
2×50kg x 11
2. Pec Deck
Stack + 20kg (172.5kg) x 2 max static holds, immediately followed by BW Dips
3. Concept 2 rower
3x500 sprints

25-10-16
Legs
BB Squat
60kg x 5
100kg x 5
140kg x 10
DB Stiff Legged Deadlift
2x40kg x 3 sets of 15, 12, 12
Calf Presses
Stack x 2 sets of 15

26-10-16
Shoulders
DB Lateral Raise
2x15kg x 3 sets of 12, 10, 10
supersetted with
Standing Military Press (strict)
70kg x 3 sets of 7, 6, 6
5 minute rest, then
One Arm DB Overhead Press
40kg x 2 sets of 5

Havent had a day off in a few weeks now I think, feeling real good.

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#467 Postby HIT Rob » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:21 pm

Took a few days off, much as I was enjoying making good strength increases over the last several weeks on compound lifts, im refocusing on single joint holds / exercises (seemed to get a better hypertrophic response with isolation work, whereas I seem to be just becoming more skilled at compounds).
Going to take another few days off, just to let the biochemical resources replenish a bit more, after which, its max contraction time again:)

Did a 20hr fast today, didnt eat until 5pm, had a huge fat fat salad with avocado, chopped walnuts, flax oil, chopped sundried tomatoes and peppers, grated carrots and cucumber, all mixed / bound together with homemade hempseed yoguart (easily 2000+ calories)
10pm was tofu cooked in coconut oil anx steamed veggies with sweet chilli sause drizzled on them.Then something bad happened, I opened the cupboard andl there before my eyes was a packed of those new mint flavoured oreo cookies, god dammit, I went into a zombie like trace and before I knew it there I was with a mug of tea and and empty cookie wrapper. Oh well, its Halloween, gotta have a treat (albeit a whole packed of cookies;)

Happy Halloween everyone:)

mrbear666
Elephant

#468 Postby mrbear666 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:11 am

Whats up Rob long time no speak, all that talk of tasty food has got my mouth watering, be sure to post up your new training so i can yet again steal your ideas :)
"iam the strongest one! iam the viking!" - jon pall sigmarsson
“may all of your dreams and ambitions happen, but most important, may all of your enemies die"
www.infowars.com

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#469 Postby HIT Rob » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:13 pm

Hey bud, yeah havent been on for a while, bit stressed at the mo, my depression has come back, been of work for almost a month now, but still hammering it at the gym and making dem gainzzz:) The gym keeps me sane, and ma misses and 6 cats lol. Hope your doing good mate, time for the log fires again;)

Last rotation...
9-11-16
Incline smith machine bench press
80kg x 5
100kg x 5
120kg x 5
145kg x 4 + 2 forced reps
Pec deck flye
Stack x 2 max static holds to failure
Leaning Cable Curls
1/2 stack x 8
3/4 stack x 9 + static hold to failure after a 10 second rest pause

7-11-16
Hammer Pulldown
80kg x 5
100kg x 5
120kg x 8 + static hold to failure after a 10 second rest pause
Shoulder Press Machine
65kg x 5
80kg x 5
95kg x 7 + 2 forced reps
Seated Chest Supported Row Machine
125kg x 10 rest pause reps to failure (5 second rest pause between reps)

5-11-16
Leg Extension (pre exhaustion)
80kg x 5
100kg x 5
125kg x 11 + static hold to failure after a 10 second rest pause
Seated Leg Press
Stack + training parnter applying manual resistance on the negative x 14 reps to failure
Calf Presses
Stack x 12 reps to failure ( 5 second holdcin the contracted position of each rep)
Weighted Hypers
BW + 20kg x 2 sets of 12 (2 second hold at the top of each rep)

- Ive kepted the compounds, but my workouts are back to 100% machines, which I feel are better for tension and isolation.

Been eating clean as f#€k, no more oils in my diet, bar a brown rice and hemp protein powders, mostly just whole foods, a lot of raw foods as well!!

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#470 Postby HIT Rob » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:53 pm

Quick update: training is going well, been off work now for several weeks, taking a time out....

Back to training just twice per week...

Workout A
Hammer pulldown (underhand)
Seated chest press machine (life fitness)
Leaning back cable curl
Leverage Leg presses
Calf Presses
3 x 500 sprints of the concept 2 rower

Workout B
Incline angled hammer smith machine press
Seated chest supported row (life fitness)
Shoulder press machine (life fitness)
Leg curl
Leg extension
3 x 500 sprints on the concept 2 rower

Diet wise, continuing to do daily intermittent fasting on a high fat diet, with carb refeed meals on workout days.

Hope everyones doing good, have a great weekend:)

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#471 Postby HIT Rob » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:48 pm

Hi all, hope everyones doin good. Havent been posting as much as im going through a legal battle with my former employee. Been training every other day this weather and as usual, employing a multitude of techniques to mange stress. Getting relly into constant tension / piston reps with a reduced rom, its kinder on the joints and great for blowing up the muscles....

Last few workouts...

Today - chest, back, biceps
1. Incline angled hammer smith machine press
120kg x 2 sets of 10 9
100kg x 16 to failure
2. Bent over bilateral DB rows
2x45kg x 2 working sets of 12
2x35kg x 22 reps to failure
3. Ez curl bar cable curl
3/4 stack x 2 working sets of 10
4. One arm DB power lateral raise (still controlled and strict form)
25kg DB x 2 working sets of 8
5. DB stiff legged deadlift
2x45kg x 2 working sets of 12 - no lockout / constant tension)
2x35kg x 25

8-12-16
Underhand hammer pulldown
120kg x 2 working sets of 8
90kg x 17
Seated chest press machine (life fitness)
130kg x 2 working sets of 10, 9 / no lockout or deep stretch / constant tension
100kg x 18 - constant tension reps
Triceps pressdown
Stack x 2 working sets of 15, 14 - no lockout / constant tension
Rear delt / trap flye machine
70kg x 2 working sets of 12 (focused on the contraction half of the movement)
Leverage leg press
200kg x 40 - no lockout or full stretch / constant tension
250kg x 35 to failure (thought I was gonna die lol)

Diet wise I went back to see the geneticist I was seeing to have a DNA and SWAMI test, low and behold, im not suited to many food stuffs, am not allowed legumes, veg from the brassica family, tomatoes, corn, wheat and many fruits, also found out I am a blood type B (whom are NOT best suited to a vegan diet), which is fairly rare (about 15% of the world), I was also advised strongly to include fortified grass fed dairy, eggs, wild fish, nuts, oils etc. I cant bring myself to eat meat, however I have been including the fish, eggs and dairy. I have also started taken a herbal supplement called cortiguard which supports a healthy hormone balance in blood type B's. Am not a huge supplement advocate, however I can say this particular supplement has made a great difference in how I feel, especially at times of stress and post workout.

Have a great weekend everyone
Rob

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#472 Postby HIT Rob » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:02 pm

Wee fun arm and shoulder work this morning...

1. Ez bar cable curl
3 sets x 30 reps, 10 reps standing close to the machine, 10 reps standing away from the machine and pulling to the forehead with a close grip, then 10 reps with back against the machine. Torque changes with each angle.
2. Ex bar cable triceps
3 sets x 30 reps, 10 reps standing close to the machine, 10 reps standing a few feet away from the machine, then 10 reps with back turned /overhead triceps.
3. Shoulder tri set on the cable machine
3 x 30 reps, 10 reps underhand front raises (dana linn baily style), 10 reps wide grip upright rows, then 10 reps rear delt flyes. (First two movements using the ez curl cable attachment).

Really enjoyed the change of pace today, constant tension and fast paced, got one hellva a pump. Might try something similar on my next chest & back workout, maybe even gaint sets:)

esqinchi
Elephant

#473 Postby esqinchi » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:24 pm

Hey man, looks like you are still hard at it. Sorry for the legal troubles BS... I know that world up close and personal on a daily basis, and know how ugly and annoying it can be at, well, pretty much the whole time. The trick is to be as dispassionate as possible - even though it's your personal stuff at issue. I know that sounds impossible, but I guess people are going to do whatever they will, no? Most times I just hope that opposing counsel is not a complete dick, and the judge actually gives a damn about the case. I am usually disappointed. Just try your best to let it go at the end of the day. Speaking of things to distract you . . . I'm not sure if you've been on my journal lately, but we are expecting our first baby this coming June! Exciting times man, and I'm pretty well scared shitless. That's ok though, because I see plenty of poo in my future lol. Just thought you'd want to know. Hope you, the Ms. and all them cats are doing well and still enjoying the countryside.

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#474 Postby HIT Rob » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:55 pm

Hi Chris,

CONGRATS MAN!! Thats awesome news:)) Goodness, itll be a culture shock for sure. Indeed mate, plenty of feeding, pooping, nappy changing, running to the shops and a lack of sleep haha, but all good times ahead;)) Fantastic.

Just looked at my last post, I wrote ex employee, meant to say ex employer, we got a new hr mangeress in, a real condescending nasty peace of work with an agenda to get rid of people. Not sure how it works in the U.S, but here an employer has a "duty of care" to their employees, with myself, ive a long term health problem. Ive 3 herniated discs, so if I sit for to long long periods of time I stiffen up like a board, so I alternate sitting and moving around jobs, but that cow was being akward and not letting me do this anymore, so I left and am sueing for constructive dismissal. But hey, on a lighter note, I feel liberated, im working for myself now property developing, sometimes the bad things that happen in our are for the greater good, YES, 2017 will be bright...for both of us, and hopefully everyone else:)

If am not talking to you before Xmas, happy Christmas:)

mrbear666
Elephant

#475 Postby mrbear666 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:01 pm

Hey, Rob long time no speak, hope all is good and have a good xmas if we dont bump into each other here!

mike.
"iam the strongest one! iam the viking!" - jon pall sigmarsson
“may all of your dreams and ambitions happen, but most important, may all of your enemies die"
www.infowars.com

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#476 Postby HIT Rob » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:45 pm

mrbear666 wrote:Hey, Rob long time no speak, hope all is good and have a good xmas if we dont bump into each other here!

mike.

Hey Mike, how goes it, yes alls good mate and same to yourself, dont go to hard on the ale, or yall end up with a 2 pack;)

Rob

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#477 Postby HIT Rob » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:18 pm

Happy new year everyone:)

So of late ive been employing the advice I heard given by Jon Jon Park (Reg Park's son) on the Ric Drasin youtube show last month, JJ is very much a hitter and Arthur Jones fan. Its inspired me to get back to HIT basics.
Last rotation was an upper body / lower body split, training every other day....
W/O 1 - Incline smith machine bench press, seated chest supported rows and a bi-lateral DB curl on a a slight inclined bench
W/O 2 - Leverage leg presses, calf presses and grip work
W/O 3 - Standing Military Press, Chins and incline bench Ez-bar triceps extensions
W/O 4 - Leverage power squat, calf presses and grip work
- Each movements has been 1 warm up set, 1 heavy set...but not to failure, then finally 1 moderately heavy set to vanilla failure.

Been consuming just 2 main meals a day plus a pre workout drink and a small post workout snack (protein shake and caramel flavoured rice cakes).

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#478 Postby HIT Rob » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:42 pm

So of late, im no longer looking to merely move a heavy weight from A to B, ive slightly lower my loads and am focusing much more on feeling, squeezing and contracting the muscles etc, I believe Milos Sarcev referred to it as "iso tension", and again on certian lifts ive been reducing the range of motion employed for better inroading and isolation. One example would be with DB Lateral Raises, I watched this big Z video yesterday and tried his way of preforming laterals today, felt much more focused on the delts / limiting trap involement.
Heres the vid, 15 mins in...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QCmp09NDPCY

Im still training an upper / lower body split, ive eliminated overhead presses though, I felt the anterior delts get sufficiently worked from the incline press, side and rear laterals preformed as above are going to be a mainstay going forward...

Todays upper body workout was...
Incline smith machine presses
80kg x 10
100kg x 8
120kg x 4
140kg x 3
Seated Cable Row (technogym, smooth as silk)
70kg x 8
80kg x 8
90kg x 8
DB Lateral Raise (Big Z style)
2x12.5kg x 10
2x15kg x 2 sets of 10
Bent Over DB Lateral Raise
2x15kg x 2 sets of 12, 10
EZ Curl Bar Drag Curls
30kg x 10
40kg x 2 sets 10, 9
Triceps Pushdown (straight bar)
40kg x 10
50kg x 2 sets of 10, 8
Currently training 2 days on, one day off...legs tomorrow.

Post workout feed - Rice and pea protein mix (50g) + flavoured rice cakes

Been keeping my carbs at 150-200g per day (the bulk of which are focused around my workouts) and ive upped my protein to 300-350g per day, fats are around 100-110g daily, bodyweight is a reasonable lean 240lb @ 6'4. Going to let my body get used to this weight and then upper cals / macros to reach the 260-270 mark again (but this time ill be leaner).

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#479 Postby HIT Rob » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:42 pm

So this last few weeks ive been focusing again on the pre exhaustion method on tne larger muscles, however, gotta be careful, its very is to burn 8ut on this method, especially when done it HIT style I.e., with intensifies and no rest beteeen the isolation movement and the compound movement. Ive had to compromise and have reduced my training frequency to just 3 days per week (Tues/Thurs/Sat- as the gym quieter on these days) . Listening to and watching some of Markus Reinhardt's work has simulated my thinking again with regards to potency of isolation movements when performed very slowly and with intensifiers. Thus being said, I do still feel there needs to be a lower body compound movement, and an upper body pull / push compound movement.

Last rotation...

24-1-17
CHEST / FRONT DELTS / TRICEPS
1. Pec Deck
130kg x 10 reps to failure + static hold to failure after a 10 second rest pause
immediately followed by..
2. Hammer Incline Press
150kg x 4 to failure
Rest...
3. Triceps Pushdown (straight revolving bar)
Stack x 11 reps to failure + 2 more reps to failure after a 10 second rest pause
immediately followed by...
4. Weighted Negative Only Dips
BW (242lb) + 30kg x 6 superslow negatives to failure
BUSTED!!!

21-1-17
LEGS
1. Leg Extension
137.5kg x 9 reps to failure + static hold to failure after a 10 second rest pause
immediately followed by...
2. Leverage Leg Press
350kg x 9 reps to failure
Rest
3. Calf Presses
Statck + training partner providing manual resistance on the negative x 14 reps to failure
Short rest
4. Weighted Hypers
BW + 40kg x 16 reps (just shy of failure)

19-1-17
BACK / MID AND REAR DELTS / BICEPS
1. Hammer pullover
120kg x 7 reps to failure + static hold to failure after a 10 rest pause
Immediately followed by...
2. Parallel grip pulldown
100kg x 6 reps to failure
Rest
3. Seated Chest Supported Row
130kg x 9 reps to failure
4. Big Z DB Lateral Raise
2x17.5kg x 12 reps to failure + 3 more reps to failure after a 10 second rest pause
5. Preacher Curl Machine
70kg x 7 reps to failure + static hold to failure after a 10 second rest pause

To reduce overlapping, no overhead press for the shoulders or direct rear delt work, after just a few workouts of the Big Z laterals, I can already see good improvements in my lateral delts.

Diet wise, ive had to half the protein intake I was consuming due to bloating and stomach discomfort, so carbs are around 50-100grams per day, protein is bewteen 150-200, and fat I dont count, but its high. This approach alone with a high carb / low fat meal once every 4-5 days seems to work best for me.

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#480 Postby HIT Rob » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:27 pm

Hey y'all, been a while since ive updated...so here goes. Took a 9 day layoff at the end of January (to allow for systemic recovery), have since rebounded nicely. Ive put a focus again on static holds and rest pause, I believe I may well have reached my genetic ceiling (by natural means), and training to mere positive failure is no longer enough to signal an adaptation. Am also looking to aviod "outroading", i was recently reminded by a HITer with 50 years of experience that this thing we do is called RESIST[ance] training, not performance exercise. Am not trying to become more skilled at specific lifts, my goal is achieve greater / more intense muscular contractions, given that a full range of motion reduces the amount of weight the muscles can maximally contract against, ive opted again for a static protocol exclusively that focuses on maximal loaded in the fully / peak contracted position.
This time round im using a load that allows for no more than a 15-20 second hold (having to be creative given the weight stack limitations), I then take a 15 second rest pause and have at it again.

Last nights Shoulder & Arm workout....
Warm up: Shoulder press machine x 3 sets of 5 slow controlled reps @ 120lb, 140lb & 160lb
1. Machine lateral raise *
290lb x 24 TTOC
2. Rear Delt Machine *
187.5lb x 21 TTOC
3. Preacher curl machine*
220lb x 21 TTOC
4. Triceps pushdowns (using V Bar and standing slightly away from the machine to increase tension on the triceps)
250lb x 33 seconds TTOC

NOTES:
- * resistance held in the fully contracted position
- TTOC = total time of contraction

Diet wise, all is good, currently bodyweight is 247.3lbs @ 6'4

Return to “Online Training Journals & Blogs”