Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Food Log w/ pics
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:27 pm 
Elephant

Hey man, interesting mix of stuff to break the feast. I felt a little differently and didn't want to eat solids or had craved them. Dani actually had to peel an orange and force feed it to me and I wasn't budging but after I gave in..... a decent amount more of solid foods throughout the day followed. 2 apples, 2 oranges, 1lb of lychees, 1/4 lb of lognans. I may do more as eating solids is addictive but ideally, i'd be done at this point and do perhaps one more blend.... I'll probably be done with solids for the remainder of the day but who knows! :roll:

congrats on your 30days. I wish you would have waited for the prunes! O well, you should save them for another feast and it will motivate you to remember you can always do another one in the future. But I would be you've lost enough weight already and want to build a bit and perhaps liquids aren't the best option for that. I will experiment with that idea sometime in the future but not now.... Perhaps next year for sure early spring.

I love that you jumped into doing this right away after feeling it was a good idea. Much respect and props to you my friend! 8) :wink:

Oh and next time, take in more calories!

Joelk wrote:
But as long as people stay away from our cooler bags with our meals and not ask silly questions, we're all pretty tame

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:38 am 
Elephant

It was a great experience and i enjoyed it most of the time, well maybe half of the time, lol. But not that it's over, it's a pure positive experience and I learned a lot about nutrition just by doing this, it kind of educated me with the autodidact way. Now I will surely eat more fruits each day and have a green salad with each meal. For the green smoothies though I'll pass. :)
Eventhough it didn't do any miracle -- I will eat vegan junk foods again -- I opened new horizons to me for the possibilities of raw foods. When I had only fruits, I think I needed to have some very often otherwise maybe it was low glicemy that was making me feel weak? After I had some sprouted grains in the morning smoothie I guess it provided complex carbs that gave sugar for a much longer period of time.

I won't wait like a year to eat your prunes until next juice fast! Are you crazy! (just kiddin). But you gave me an idea, I'll use the prunes you sent me to break the short fast I'll do in the next couple of weeks. I'll do 2-3 days fasting like: only carrots for a day, or only fruits, and before photoshoot I'll have only green tea and energy herbal teas for 1 day or 2.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:16 am 
The energy drop after eating a lot of fruit is called a "glycemic spike". In response to the inflow of sugars the pancreas automatically produces a great deal of insulin to digest those. This is a quite rapid process and the sugars are readily digested, thus leaving the sense of loss of energy. For some who use other forms of manufactured sugar, it can turn into a chronic condition called hypoglygemia.

The loss of energy can also be due to a detoxification and cleansing process in response to the purer and lighter food that the fruits are.

One guy who has made it on fruits - he is a fine person - is at http://www.fruitarianfitness.com.

For my part, I think that a raw vegan diet - fruits, vegetables, sprouts, sprouted seeds and nuts, lots of wheatgrass and algae, is about the best for most people. Most need the cleansing power of the greens and algaes.

Intermittent cleansings and detoxifications are important. Once the body is more thoroughly cleansed, even just the juices and algaes can provide an optimal energy level as LEAN AND GREEN has just proved in his posts at this Forum.

Chia seeds are great!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:16 pm 
Elephant

My juice fast is already ended since last wednesday but I still got pics and the final menus that I didn't had time to enter yet so here it is:

(in the last few days of the liquid diet, I had many smoothies, creams, mashed stuff... like baby foods... as good as juices, just more fibres, takes longer to digest but still easy digestion.

-banana-blueberry smoothie
-nectarine-banana-blueberry smoothie
-date-banana smoothie
-date-peach smoothie

EDIT: removed some of the pics; broken links

Last edited by I'm Your Man on Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:20 pm 
Elephant

hey guys I'm taking a break from this journal but I'm posting pics and recipes about what I eat on my blog . EDIT: more in my photobucket album.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:01 pm 
Elephant

Back to raw! or at least, mostly raw. I ate so much junk food lately. Sometimes I was eating very bad, while other days only good food... But sometimes many days in a row of junk foods, one time for a whole week, I got sick of it.

Here's what I ate yesterday:

5 bananas
10 fresh dates
1 avocado
big portion of romaine lettuce
1 tomato
1 zucchini
10 baby carrots
1 lg yam (cooked)

Total: 1870 calories

lol, first time I do this, adding all the stuff on Nutritiondata and see the results:

Total Carbs: 416 g
fiber: 61 g
starch: 38 g
sugars: 258 g

Total Fat: 33 g

Proteins: 23 g

About those ridiculous recommandations, I got between 200% and 300% for vit. C, K, B6, and 577% for vit. A :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:49 pm 
Gorilla

I'm Your Man wrote:
10 baby carrots

You eat babies? :o

Obviously I can't imagine, how you managed to stuff yourself with all that food...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:01 pm 
Elephant

Happy one year vegan aniversary to me ! :occasion1: I started to be a strict vegan in the begining of last year. Before that the animal products I was eating was mostly milk ingredients in baking goods, chocolates, etc. Prior to that I was vegetarian since year 2000 but was ocasionally eating meat or fish :roll:

During December I was eating almost only raw foods, now I've put some cooked foods (cereals, bread, peanut butter... I don't cook anything myself) back into my diet, mostly due to practical/money reasons. I'll get back to an entirely raw diet in a few weeks when cutting. I haven't been eating any soy or wheat or peanuts since several months but now I started again, because it's twice less expensive. Although I don't consume any soy protein isolate. I like raw almond butter on bananas but on bread it tastes bitter. Peanut butter is so much better on bread and much cheaper.

Here's what I'm eating, those are my favorite foods for what I consider my ideal diet right now:

Mostly organic

Fruits
Apples, grapes
Bananas, fresh dates
Grapefruit, kiwi, citrus, lime, mango, orange, berries
Tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, cucumbers, zuchini, avocado
Fruit sorbet, fruit juice (guava, passion fruit, pineapple…)

Vegetables
Alfalfa and fenugreek sprouts
Spinach, kale, collard, romaine, parsley
Carrots, beets

Seeds & Nuts
Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, almonds

Suplements
Prairie Naturals’ Hemp-Force, North Coast Naturals’ Hemp and Rice protein, Vega whole food powder, Larabar, infusions (green tea, ginkgo biloba, hawtorn, mint, passionflower, valerian), guarana powder in fruit juice.

Not raw
Nature’s Path cereals, milk (almond, hemp, rice, soy), bread (no wheat if possible), peanut butter

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Morning: fruits
Pre-workout : fruits
Post-workout: protein powder
Lunch: salad with avocado or nuts, or sandwich
Evening: salad with avocado or nuts, or sandwich

Snacks: fruits, nuts, protein powder, Larabar, cereals

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Eat some food from each color, each day:

Yellow-orange-red: Grapefruit, kiwi, citrus, lime, mango, orange, berries, Carrots, beets

Green : Alfalfa and fenugreek sprouts
Spinach, kale, collard, romaine, parsley, cucumbers, zuchini, avocado

Beige-brown: Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, almonds, protein powder (hemp, rice), Larabar, bananas, fresh dates, dried figs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:36 pm 
Elephant

Happy 1 year to you IYM/GUILLAUME!!!! I had no idea you have only been vegan for a year; I just assumed so much longer by the way you carry yourself.

So a couple of quick things looking at this in summary...

1) Sprouts go a LONG way and they are really simpler than any preparation of any other food I have ever dealth with in my life and the results are far more rewarding. I was just speaking to Tasha about it. Soak for 6-12 hours, drain them and place them in a strainer. Quick rinse and try to spray some water on them with the hose from your faucet or whatever 1-3 times a day. 2-3 days later, you have a LARGE yield of yummy edible sprouts with a good source protein at a very inexpensive cost. (MUNG beans sprout like crazy and so does quinoa. Buckwheat takes a bit longer but it always sprouts; just takes an extra day)

2)Almond butter is expensive, perhaps 3 times as much as your standard pb. It can be a lot more expensive but you can get jars from 6-8 bucks here as long as you are savy and hold out when you cannot. OR you can make your own raw peanut butter, it doesn't taste the same as roasted but you might like it. The small raw Spanish peanuts, just blend with a touch of olive oil and whatever else you desire to fit you palette.

I'm sure I have more to say but at the moment, nice to check out your blog and see all is well!!!! ;)

Joelk wrote:
But as long as people stay away from our cooler bags with our meals and not ask silly questions, we're all pretty tame

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:59 am 
Stegosaurus

Happy one Year Veganniversary !!! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:10 pm 
Elephant

Thanks Natasha and Giacomo :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:41 pm 
Elephant

Got an email a few days ago from nutritiondata.com

http://blog.nutritiondata.com/ndblog/2008/12/updated-nutrien.html?mbid=NDNL

Quote:
Updated nutrient info for dark chocolate and more!

What's new?
Over 200 new foods will be added to the database, reflecting new foods that have been recently introduced to the marketplace or foods that have simply become more widely consumed in recent years. Many will be of particular interest to the Nutrition Data community, including:
28 brand-name soy products, such as various flavors of Silk soy yogurt and soymilk
66 soy-based vegetarian foods, including Worthington and Morningstar brands
12 new breakfast cereals, including several Kashi brand cereals
4 types of dark chocolate representing different cacao levels
Spray (spritzer) salad dressing
Grass-fed beef and bison
Pomegranate juice
Wild blueberries
Refried beans
Microwaved vegetables, including beans and corn
Several new varieties of canned soup, including lower sodium soups
Amaranth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:55 pm 
Elephant

Here in Quebec, the publicity on tv are some of the worst in the world. The people who studied in that and now earn their life by designing those ads really lack talent. I've seen commercials from the US, France, Japan, etc, and they're better quality and less stupid. I really hate to see commercials on meat, cheese, milk, especially because they're produced with our taxes. The governement need to promote those shameful industries because the farmers don't make any money with it and even lose money. But the recent commercials for milk are the worst : it's just scenes with kids playing or with their parents and there's no relation whatsoever with milk, we don't see any milk, they're not eating anything, they're just like playing piano or hockey... and then at the end it says : "le lait, source naturelle de réconfort"... which would be something like "milk, natural source of comfort". What ? Yeah right, some pus, piss and antibiotics in irradiated milk with cholesterol is a source of comfort ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:22 pm 
Elephant

What I ate yesterday
Usually I eat more fruits, vegetables and fresh products but I was out of those.
Numbers are for: calories, proteins, carbs and fat

9am
water

10am
1 cup pineapple juice, 120 cal, 1 pro, 30 carb, 0 fat
250 ml soy milk, 100 cal, 8 pro, 7 carb, 4 fat
2 cups Nature's Path's Rice Puffs, 100, 2, 28, 0

1pm
water with 25 gr hemp protein, 90, 12, 2, 3

2:30pm
100 gr dark chocolate, 450, 4, 50, 22

3:30pm
1 cup pineapple juice, 120, 1, 30, 0
1 cup Nature's Path's Rice Puffs, 50, 1, 14, 0
250 ml soy milk, 100, 8, 7, 3

6pm
2 quinoa-kamut bagels, 460, 20, 100, 2
2 cups yellow split pea soup, 350, 18, 50, 0
1 carrot, 25, 1, 6, 0

8-9 pm : resistance training
water

9pm
1 cup pineapple juice 120, 1, 30, 0

9:30pm
water with 30 gr hemp protein, 120, 14, 5, 3

midnight
6 california walnuts, 200, 5, 4, 20

Total=
calories= 2285
proteins=95
carbs=325
fats=56

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:25 pm 
Elephant

So the giant Pfeizer,world #1 of pharmaceutical companies, bought for 63 BILLION $ another giant company producing vaccines and medecine...
The journalists commenting the news said :
-So now Pfeizer is even more giant...
-Yes, even more #1 than before...
:lol:

And in Quebec, all papers from Montreal and near areas destined to recycling is not getting recycled anymore... there's a place where they just put tons and tons (it looks like the China's Wall) of paper outside in the snow... the reason is that paper lost value, it dropped from $5/ton to $0.05/ton (honestly I don't remember, I'm just inventig those numbers) and nobody wants it...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next