Skate, bike, lift

Look like I will finally get my hands on some weights, so I figured I would start a log (I am also keeping this log at Vegan Fitness).

Currently I am skating (roller derby practice) three times a week, 2 hrs per practice.

I haven't worked out since Feb 07! I just can't make a gym membership work here in London, due to time and money. But we are about to move into a new place and the landlord is selling on his weight set to me. It is far from ideal. It's just a standard barbell with some plates and a bench-press setup. So no cage, which means no squats. Still, I'll be able to do something with it, which makes me very happy.

I'm trying to think of all the things I can do with a barbell and no cage. I will have my partner there to spot.

Deadlift

Overhead presses

Rows

Front squats*

Bench press

Hang cleans

(*Would have to use light enough weight to avoid failure because I can't drop the weight. But I figure light weight is better than nothing.)

What else?

Edited by FormicaLinoleum

Been sick, so didn't skate on Tues or Thurs as we had a bout coming up and I wanted to do all I could to recover by then.

Saturday: Roller derby bout. Two half-hour periods, but in some jams and out others. So less time skating than at practice, but more intense when skating. We took on Glasgow Roller Girls and won, 163 to 31!!

Congrats on the victory, your team definitely dominated the floor!

I have never watched them in action but there are alot of squads here in the u.s. and they all call themselves 'roller girls'. I never got into skating but I have rollerbladed alot over the years and played some street hockey...

Anyway, go Liz!

Tuesday and Thursday: Derby practice, but assessing other skaters the whole time, but very light on my own skating.

Saturday: Regular 2-hr practice, but with a focus on scrimmaging.

Livening things up with a photo--here's me from our bout last week. Photo by "Steve Kitten". Steve is his real first name, but don't know his real last name to credit properly! (He is the husband of Kamikaze Kitten, hence our name for him.)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/formicalinoleum/RiotsofSpringSK.jpg

Finally got to the "weighting" part. Right now, just doing pretty light weight for higher reps (10) to get back into the swing of things, so I'm not going to post weight and rep detail for now.

Monday

Front squat

Stiff-legged deadlift

Bench press

Overhead press

Barbell row

Lat pulldown

Thursday

Deadlift

Dumbbell bench

Dumbell military press

One-arm row

Lat pulldown

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Tuesday, 12 Aug

Roller derby practice, 2 hrs

Wednesday, 13 Aug

Cycled to work (the from part to come in a few hours), 15mi/24km

Am completely exhausted! Up until a couple of weeks ago I was doing only roller derby practice, and just added the cycle commute and weights. Haven't had many rest days and I think it is taking its toll! I'm sure I will get used to this schedule, but right now it is hard! I am supposed to lift weights tonight but might skip it as my legs are feeling pretty tired.

Friday, 15 Aug

Took day off from work, so no cycle commute

Lifted weights:

- Front squat

- Stiff-legged deadlift

- Bench press

- Overhead press

- Barbell row

- Lat pulldown

Sunday, 17 Aug

Should have gone to roller derby practice, but didn't due to engineering works on tube/DLR that would have made the trip 2+hrs each way to get there. Too lazy to do that.

Lifted weights:

- Deadlift

- DB bench

- DB overhead

- One-arm db row

- Lat pulldown

My mother has been staying with us, so I have missed a lot of practices/exercise. I'm especially unable to do weights as doing them causes us to eat at 9:00pm or later which is too late for my mom.

Wed, 20 Aug

Cycled to and from work (15mi/24km)

Tues, 26 Aug

Roller derby practice, 2 hrs

Wed, 27 Aug

Cycled to and from work (15mi/24km)

I'm planning to ride to work tomorrow and then that will probably be it for exercise until Monday, after she has returned home. I hope I don't get too out of shape!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have still been skating and cycling, but having major problems finding any time to fit in weights.

Recent activity.

Sunday: 3 hr derby practice

Monday: cycle commute

Tuesday: 2 hr derby practice

Wednesday: nothing

Thursday: 1.5 hour derby practice

Friday: cycle commute

Got 2 hr practice tomorrow and 3 hr on Sunday.

I have derby practice 3 times a week: Tues, Thurs, Sun. Plus Sat once or twice a month. I can't lift weights on the same day as practice as it would be too much and I also generally don't have time (e.g., on the weeknights, I get home from practice between 11:00 and 11:45).

I don't mind lifting weights on the same day as commuting on my bike. So that means I potentially have Mon, Wed, Fri, and some Sat for weights. However, my partner and I lift together and both have to be there so we can spot each other. And my partner works evenings on Wed, so that's out. That leaves Mon, Fri, and some Saturdays. Can't do Fri and Sat, so my free Sat basically would be good for weeks on which I can't do Fri for some reason. So that's 2 weights sessions per week max.

But with only two evenings per week free, generally, if I am ever to do anything else in my life other than work or derby, it will fall on Mon or Fri or Sat. For example, we are very soon going to start a six-week meditation course on Mon evenings. So then we are down to just Fridays.

That leaves us in a situation where it's really hard to be consistent and we sometimes go weeks without having an opportunity to lift. It's really frustrating.

OK, so that was just a little vent! I'm feeling a wee bit tired and maybe like I am getting a bit sick. Probably mostly tired, though...

• 3 months later...