Female, 42 and Bodybuilding - DV's Journal

Why? It's time. I've made great gains in the past 3 months and will continue to do so. My plan is to start competing next year. If this journal can inspire any woman (or man) who is older, lacking a muscular build, non-athletic or frightened of injuries then it will serve its purpose.

Who I am. I'm a 42 year old advanced practice nurse whose passions include nutrition, bodybuilding and cooking. I became vegan the month I turned 39. Eight months ago I thought I was getting serious about bodybuilding. Three months ago I made it a priority, educated myself and started hitting it hard. Over the past 8 months, I have lost 12 pounds of fat and gained 13 pounds of muscle (most of it in the last 3 months). I don't do any cardio.

Format. I'll post my lifting routine and basic nutritional intake. If anyone wants more detail, just ask.

Philosophy. I've done enough experimenting to know what works for me, at least part of the time. I've gained bodybuilding knowledge from trainers, training partners, the internet and books. Before I try a technique, diet or supplement, you can be sure that I researched it to my satisfaction. I think a good trainer is sometimes hard to find (it took me 5 tries) but well worth the effort if you can afford the cost.

Current Stats: 5'10", 20% bodyfat, 146 pounds. Strong points are back and arms. Weak points are glutes and thighs. Goal is to drop BF% to 16-17 and then start bulking again. Other goal is to develop larger, rounder glutes and hamstrings.

LEGS (new routine, very light weights, concentrating on form)

Reverse Hack Squat - superset with - Hack Squat

BW x 16___ BW x 13

40 x 14___ 40 x 10

50 x 12___ 50 x 10

60 x 12___ 60 x 10

70 x 12___ 60 x 10

(For the Reverse Hack I went to a 90 degree knee angle. For the regular Hack I went butt to the floor, wide stance with toes pointed out.)

Glute Squat

BW x 12

10 x 12

20 x 12

30 x 10

(This is a wide stance, toes elevated and forward about 2 feet. I use a Smith Machine and squat to a few inches off the ground.)

Leg Press - superset with - Front Squat w/ DB

110 x 25___ 25 x 10

110 x 25___ 35 x 10

110 x 25___ 35 x 10

110 x 25___ 35 x 10

(This is not a full Leg Press - heels slightly off the bottom of the footrest, narrow stance - really works your quads. Front Squat is butt to the floor, heels elevated.)

Butt Blaster Machine

50 x 8

60 x 8

80 x 6

Nutrition: Calories ~ 2000, Protein 160 gms.

**Every day that I work out, I have 2 servings of Xtend BCAAs during my workout. Every day, I have 5 gms Glutamine at breakfast and 5 gms immediately after my workout. I also cycle creatine for 4 weeks on/ 4 weeks off (currently off). I have been counting carbs, fiber, fat and glycemic load for so long that I don't track them but rather shoot for a range. While cutting, I keep my glycemic load to 50 or less.**

Supplements: Supplements are the same every day.

2 Tbls. ground flaxseed

V-Pure Omega 3 (75 mg EPA, 270 mg DHA)

New Chapter Every Woman's One Daily (one in morning, one after workout or evening)

Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc (500/250/12.5 mg)

B-Complex (25 mg - once per day)

Vit E - natural form with mixed tocopherols (400 IU morning and after workout/evening)

Vit C (1000 mg after workout or morning)

----------------------------------------------------

Inspirational tune of the day: Drowning Pool - Let the Bodies Hit the Floor

----------------------------------------------------

Edited by DV

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who I am. I'm a 42 year old advanced practice nurse whose passions include nutrition, bodybuilding and cooking. I became vegan the month I turned 39. Eight months ago I thought I was getting serious about bodybuilding. Three months ago I made it a priority, educated myself and started hitting it hard. Over the past 8 months, I have lost 12 pounds of fat and gained 13 pounds of muscle (most of it in the last 3 months). I don't do any cardio.

That is truly impressive. Would I be wrong in assuming that since pretty much exchanged an equal amount of fat for muscle that you look smaller now?

Unless I do cardio before I lift it just doesn't feel like I am getting the most out of my system. How do you warm up?

I'm looking forward to this blog. You tend to talk about only things that you really know about. It will be very cool to get good information.

Robert,

Thanks for checking in. I guess we'll train together sometime in May? June? Your schedule is crazy.

BW,

I am smaller is some areas and larger in others. My thighs are thinner in some spots but larger in others. My arms and shoulders are definitely larger. My clothes fit differently but I may actually need some in larger sizes. So far, my experience is not that muscle is more compact than fat but that it distributes in different locations on your body - which is a good thing regardless of size!

BW, sorry that I didn't mention my warm-up.

A brisk 5 minute walk to the gym is my basic warm-up. I warm up whatever body part I am working on with 3-4 sets of light exercises for that part. I don't see the point of 15 minutes on the stair-stepper if I am working my back. To avoid injury, I find it much better to perform compound exercises (or whatever primary exercise that will involve heavy weights) at a low weight first to prime your joints, tendons and muscles.

I hope that made sense.

So glad to see you've started a journal.

Goal is to drop BF% to 16-17 and then start bulking again. Other goal is to develop larger, rounder glutes and hamstrings.[/i]

If your goal is to drop BF, why no cardio? Are you concerned about losing muscle? Xtend will aid in that NOT happening when taken properly during your workouts. Adding cardio would definitely help you drop some BF.

So glad you have a journal now AND an avatar!!! Very cool!

Yep, VP, very concerned about losing muscle. Additionally, I hate cardio! What exactly do you mean by "taken properly" during your workouts. Basically, I drink 2 servings during my workouts and take 5 mg of glutamine immediately afterwards (along with about 25 mg of protein).

Zack, I'm not quite in competitive mode yet.

I worked out with my trainer today. New routine, concentrating on form rather than weight.

Nutrition: Calories ~ 1850, Protein 150

Chest

DB Flat Bench

20 x 20

25 x 16

30 x 14

32 x 12

Incline Press (Paramount machine)

20 x 16

25 x 12

25 x 12

25 x 12

DB Flat Bench Fly

15 x 12

17 x 12

17 x 12

Decline Cable Fly

10 x 12

20 x 12

30 x 12

Incline Cable Fly

10 x 12

10 x 12

10 x 12

Calves

Donkey Raise

105 x 15 x 3 sets

Plate Loaded Rotary Calf

115 x 15 x 3 sets

-------------------------------------------------

No music

-------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to say thanks for putting up a journal; looking forward to seeing the hows and whats that make you tick.

You hate cardio that much, b/c the gerbil whees bore you or because you don't like the feeling of it? I am with you in that I am not a big fan of being stationery in a gym. Aside from sports that cannot be mimicked on a machine (racquetball, handball, paddleball, squash) I actually enjoy outdoor cycling and running to some extent also.

I take it you don't really have any pick up sports games to get some cardio going, huh? And riding a bicycle outdoors bothers you too? Just wondering....

If my time is limited I always choose the lifting over cardio but I love the feeling of both as they each put you on a diff high. Nothing like the endorphin rush after an hr session outdoors, for me at least.

With the music situation do you generally feel it helps to not have headphones while you train? The music they play in my gym drives me insane in a bad way, I am so thankful that I got a player to tune it out. Except for those time when people insist on conversing with you while you have headphones on and insist you take them off to hear them. Aggravating....

Have fun perfecting form. If you get a chance post a little inf bout the glute squats and how they feel for you. They sound like sumo squats with raised toes. I want to try raising my toes next session; just sounds like i'd have to train with lighter weight to keep my balance...

Rest Day

Calories 1900, Protein 156

Lean and Green,

Thanks for the positive feedback. I just don't get an endorphin rush from cardio the way I do from lifting. Living in the city makes outdoor exercise a bit iffy (air quality) and I don't enjoy indoor cardio. If I must do it to decrease my body fat further, then I will - but I won't enjoy it!

I always listen to my own music in the gym unless I'm training with someone. I find that it helps tremendously. I'm not very outgoing at the gym and tend to cut conversations short. I let people know that I'm there for my workout. Period. I've been fortunate that people aren't pushy at this gym.

My squats are very similar to sumo squats but with legs very forward so the Smith machine is necessary. I definitely feel it in my glutes.

Zack,

You're too cute, even without long hair. I thought of you today when "Eye of the Tiger" came on at work. Some 80's station was playing.

I have completely reassessed my stance on vitamin and mineral supplements in the past year. I won't get too in-depth here, but I'm convinced that going beyond the RDI of nutrients is necessary for optimal health and I don't believe it can be done on the most perfect diet of 2000 calories (or 3000 for men). One of the best books I've read on this is the recent edition of "The Real Vitamin & Mineral Book" by Shari Lieberman, PhD. At the very least, it's a safe indulgence in the doses and forms I take.

I specifically take the doses of vit E (not synthetic), C, beta carotene and selenium for their anti-oxidant properties. Exercising and most other stresses involve oxidative processes that release free radicals.

I haven't listened to Slipknot for a few years. I lost their music from my collection awhile back and never replaced it. Good lifting choice!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Currently reading "How Fat Works" by Philip A. Wood. A fascinating look at how fat is made, burned and stored. Great descriptions of the processes of obesity, metabolic syndrome, diabetes and hyperlipidemia. Written for the educated layperson or medical professional.

---------------------------------------------------------------

This is my post for yesterday.

Cardio - 30 minutes on some machine.

Calories ~ 3000, Protein ~ 210

VP, BW and L&G - you wore me down already. I did some cardio.

Since I am not training for a competition, I am cutting my body fat slowly. At this point I would rather have no fat loss in a week than have the loss of fat and muscle. I allow myself one or two days (usually on the weekend) to eat anything and to drink wine. Last night was a bit more than usual. While I was bulking, my caloric intake was about 2800 calories daily to maintain a body weight of 150 lbs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inspirational Cardio tune of the day - One More Shot by C-Bank http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sYpMknvEvE

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Woohoo... DV is gettin in some cardio. Remember... WE ALL HATE CARDIO... you are not alone

Yeah... just start slowly. 20 minutes on the bike (or whatever, just no running) 3 x week done AFTER weight training is a great start. (Try to make your Xtend last over the course of the weights and cardio to perserve lean muscle tissue so that you are just finishing it up or have a couple sips left when your done with cardio... that is according to my trainer and dietitian

Woohoo... DV is gettin in some cardio. Remember... WE ALL HATE CARDIO...

I like cardio

I also eat carbs though. I also don't own a TV ( on purpose ), but I have come to like Law And Order which is on about the same time I do cardio on the elliptical. I have been known to stay on a bit longer to see how a case ends.

Nutrition: Calories 1800, protein 146

Triceps and Biceps

Seated DB Tricep Extension - superset with - Standing DB Curls

20 x 15 ----- 20 x 12

25 x 12 ----- 25 x 12

30 x 12 ----- 27 x 10

35 x 10 ----- 30 x 7

37 x 7 ------ 30 x 6

37 x 7 ------ 30 x 6

Assisted Dips - superset with - Assisted Pullups

60 x 10 ----- 70 x 10

60 x 10 ----- 70 x 10

60 x 10 ----- 70 x 8

Cable Pushdowns - superset with - Hammer Curls

20 x 15----- 20 x 10

30 x 10----- 20 x 10

30 x 10----- 20 x 10

This was a quick workout with little rest in between sets.

I went to my first contest tonight. Very inspiring! There was an unbelievably ripped woman who was 57. All of the women in their 50s looked tremendous. I may put off competing for 2 years instead of next year - I'm too thin, IMO. I wasn't too fond of the figure but the bodybuilding was great.

BW, I don't watch much television. However, Law & Order (and SVU) is my favorite show. It's the only series we watch.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inspirational tune I'm with Stupid by Static X http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZveEyg_GmQ

Nutrition: Calories 3000, Protein 130 (brunch this morning and a couple of glasses of wine - a typical free weekend day)

Shoulders

*Warm up*

Seated DB Press

25 x 12

27 x 11

30 x 8

32 x 6

32 x 7

Upright Rows

50 x 12

60 x 9

60 x 9

60 x 10

Lateral DB Raise

15 x 12

15 x 12

15 x 12

15 x 12

Front DB Raise

12 x 12

12 x 12

15 x 10

15 x 11

Bent-Over Lateral DB Raise

12 x 12

12 x 12

15 x 12

15 x 12

ABS

Inspirational tune is "Chop Suey" by System of a Down - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdRd3k4CIAg&feature=related

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Josh, that was a great workout! You're a good training partner. Keeping a log and tracking my previous weights helps me shoot for a new goal each workout. I don't know how some of you can keep all of that in your heads.

Yesterday was a Rest Day.

Calories 2200, protein 120

I'm a bit undecided about how to reach my goals right now. Decreasing my bodyfat % by purely losing fat is going to come at the cost of strength and size - two things I don't want to lose. I'm already relatively thin and I really don't want to look skinny. My hope is that I will maintain or even gain some muscle while slowly decreasing BF%. I'm just not big enough to risk losing muscle at this point. So you won't see this log divided into the traditional cutting and bulking stages for now. I would rather do this slowly, without 5-10 pounds changes of weight in different directions. We'll see if it works.

Ah, youth. My brain isn't that flexible anymore.

But seriously, I change up parts of my routine every week so I couldn't possibly keep track. At least that's what I tell myself.

Hey Josh, that was a great workout! You're a good training partner.

Thanks!

Keeping a log and tracking my previous weights helps me shoot for a new goal each workout. I don't know how some of you can keep all of that in your heads.

I log all my weights. I just don't post them online that much anymore.

The contest sounds like it was so much fun! I can only imagine the raw energy there! I LOVE seeing women who are older than me looking so freakin' ripped, built and healthy! They are such role model's as to what is possible and it gives me so much hope!

Oh, and I totally agree with Josh, your shoulder numbers are amazing, you give me motivation to push a bit harder too!

Thanks and keep posting those numbers