Finally back at it

I used to have one of these, and updated it religiously. I have a lot less time now than I used to, but I am going to try again now that I'm finally back in the game where my running is concerned.

Here's the link to my old training journal:

viewtopic.php?t=7013

In January I started physio for a minor hip flexor strain. My running was sporadic for the next six weeks. Towards the end of that I realized that things weren't quite as fixed as I'd hoped they were and started seeing a massage therapist for ART treatment. At the same time I got really sick, and couldn't run for three weeks. Well, at the end of the three weeks my hip flexor strain was completely gone. Which is great, but since I hadn't been able to run or do any physical activity I had lost muscle mass as well.

So I've been building back up since then (early March) and I'm back up over 40 km/week and while I'd ultimately like to be around 60, I'm being really careful not to let the strain develop again. the massage therapist says it's the result of a few things. Firstly, my right femur is tilted inwards, which she says is likely from years of sitting with that leg crossed over my knee. So I am being vigilant about not doing that anymore. The other thing is I am very inflexible through my hips and legs, which contributed to the strain on my hip flexor. So I am spending 40-60 minutes a day 6 days a week stretching and doing strengthening exercises for my legs, hips, glutes etc. I hate it, but it needs to be done.

Today I ran 15km, which is my longest run since I started back up after being sick. I also did about 80 minutes of stretching and strengthening today. It was not an easy run; the course covered a LOT of uphills and I was running uphill into the wind for a good portion. I'm trying not to worry about my times too much at this point, I'm more focused on regaining my strength and stamina.

I am doing a 5k race next weekend. I don't expect to PB, I just wanted to get in a race before my big race which is a half marathon on May 25. I'm hoping to run it in less than 1:50. My training plan for the next week is pretty low mileage because of the race:

Tuesday: Run home from work (13.5k, lots of hills)

Wednesday: Speed work group (7k or so, indoors)

Friday: 8k (maybe do some hills or fartleks)

Saturday: 2k jog

Sunday: 5k race

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You ran 15k, that's great. There lots of hills and wind where I live too, and today it was still snowing and pretty cold. I'm used to run 5k, but you motivate me. Tomorrow morning I'm gonna do a longer run.

Keep on the good work.

I heard it was snowing in Montreal... fortunately we didn't get any here.

I was up to 26k for my long runs before physio. 15k seems short mentally, but physically it's taking some time to get back to where I was. When I started running last year I swore I would never run further than 5k.

Welcome Home Pamela

Glad to have you back !!!!!

Tashie

Thanks Tashie.

What is ART?

It sounds similar to IT band syndrome, which based on internet descriptions I think I may have. I need to get my buttocks to an orthopedist and find time for regular stretching.

It is encouraging to hear that a massage therapist is helping. I've seen such people advertise in my area and I have been wondering if it is one of those "alternative" things that never really works.

ART is Active Release Technique. A woman at my running group suggested it.

http://www.activerelease.com/

The correct term for what I had is an Illiopsis strain. It wasn't bad enough to make me stop running, it was just in the very early stages. The massage therapist (who is a very successful ultramarathon runner) seems to think as long as I stay stretched out well and do a bit of additional leg strengthening, it shouldn't come back. It was like a repetitive use injury.

Glad to see you're back. You have really inspired me with my running endeavors. I know what you mean about thinking that you'll never run further than a 5k. That's what I thought, until about a month ago. Now I'm thinking it's possible for me to do a 10k, I'm almost there now in my runs. Just have fun running again, and the rest will come.

Glad to see you're back. You have really inspired me with my running endeavors. I know what you mean about thinking that you'll never run further than a 5k. That's what I thought, until about a month ago. Now I'm thinking it's possible for me to do a 10k, I'm almost there now in my runs. Just have fun running again, and the rest will come.

Aww, thanks.

I ran home from work today (13.5km) and it was fantastic. I felt strong, and the weather was beautiful... 12C, very little wind. I ran at a 5:33/km pace which is faster than I've been running lately, although still slower than my desired race pace by a fair bit. One thing I love about running home from work is it's a hill workout as well. There are 5-6 hills of varying rise and distance, so I'm really getting a lot done when I'm out there.

Oh, and hi Jeremy.

On Wednesday night I went to my speedwork group, which was a lot of work. I think the air quality in the dome is worse than outside. We did 4 x 1600m at half marathon pace some of the time, and 10k pace other times.

Every day I spend about 25 minutes at least stretching, and roughly every other day I do strengthening as well. Today I went to my massage therapist for another ART session and she says my right leg is noticeably stronger than it was last time i was there a few weeks ago, which means my efforts are paying off!

Tonight I'm doing 8-10k, off Saturday, and then the 5k race is Sunday morning.

I'm so proud of you Pamela

What has the weather been like?

Thanks Tashie! The weather has been beautiful. It was 13C and sunny when I ran home from work, and tonight it was around 20C for my run. Todd and I did 8k, mostly easy.

Nice to see you doing some speed work Hopefully the legs are still there in the morning

Ugh, I do it but I don't like it! But I am going to keep going out to the group through till mid-May. After that, we'll see. Maybe again in the fall before my races then. Any idea if it'll be much of a help all summer? I'm not sure I have the motivation to do it on my own.

well, the race wasn't terrible but it wasn't great either. The purpose for it was to get back into the whole race environment again before the races that actually matter. It accomplished that. We were running a bit late, and then we got half way there and Todd realized he had forgotten his bib at home. So, we had to turn around and go back, making us even later. I was panicked by the time we got there with still so much to figure out and do. I had meant to take a shot block with be to take one before the race, but I forgot, so I was already feeling a bit weird before we even got out of the car. We made it to the start line on time, but barely.

Anyway when we got to the so-called 1k marker the stopwatch said 5:30! I was like, WTH? It felt like we'd be going at a decent clip. Todd and I consulted and decided if our first km was 5:30 there was no way we could make up enough time to have a time we'd be happy with, then we should just slow down and run for fun. But then we hit the so-called 2k mark in 10:05... meaning a 4:35 second km, which is absolutely impossible. So clearly the km markings were not terribly consistent. We reached the half way mark in just under 13 minutes (indicative of a nearly 6 min/km for that half km, apparently).

It was at about 3k that my lower back began to hurt. Ugh. I haven't been training for 5k at ALL, which really started to come through. Other than a bit of speedwork, I haven't done any runs under 8k in a number of weeks, and I've only very recently gotten "it" back. Anyway, I dealt with the back pain for the last couple km, knowing I wasn't going to come even close to setting a pb. I also felt a bit lethargic because slightly too much time had passed between eating and the race. I ended up finishing in about 26:27, a full 2:20 off of my pb. But then that was set last fall, a few weeks after my half marathon when I was in great shape. I've only been back at running for about a month now, so I guess I can't complain.

You'll be fine...everyone runs into a race unprepared every now and then. Today was the first race I was ever really prepared for...but this time the official screwed things up for me. Oh well...you learn and get better every time. This time you may have been a bit off but really you can blame Todd more than anything

Oh well...you learn and get better every time. This time you may have been a bit off but really you can blame Todd more than anything

Good points!

Last night I ran home from work (13.5k) and then tacked an extra 3.5k on at the end for 17k. Because of the race I missed my weekend long run, so this took its place.

It was a really tough run, mostly due to getting only five hours sleep the previous night, and because it was very hot and sunny out, 25C. It was -10ish just a few weeks ago. It went right from hovering around freezing to +20 very quickly and I am just not acclimatized to the heat yet. Running along the longest stretch in my route was like running in a desert... all low-rise buildings, no trees, and for one stretch, just fields. It's pretty hilly too, but that doesn't bother me.

I got to the 13.5k mark (home) and stopped, thinking I had done enough. But after walking for a couple minutes I had renewed energy and did the last leg of my planned run.

I averaged just over 6 minutes per km for the whole thing (including walking for a few minutes), which isn't bad because given the heat, I really took it easy to make sure I'd make it home ok. I think heat stroke was a real possibility and it was more important to finish it than to go really fast.

I've got a couple shorter runs planned for Thursday and Friday (8-10k), with Saturday off, and then 20k for Sunday.

Let's see... last Thursday I did a very slow 8.5k recovery run, and then on Friday I did a not-slow-not-fast 10k. I've also done a couple of leg strengthening sessions, and I spend about half an hour or more a day stretching.

On Sunday I did a 20k run. I maintained just over a six minute/km pace. I purposely charted my course so that it covered a lot of uphills. It was actually pretty hellish, as I was already really tired going in to it. I stopped and walked for a few minutes twice, which I rarely do. I only got stopped at one stoplight in all those 20k. Next weekend I plan to run the half marathon race course I'm doing on May 25. Todd will accompany me for part of it, and another veg runner will be joining us as well. I rarely run with other people, so it will be interesting. Even at speedwork group I run alone.

It'll be good to take it easy after doing a big week. Maybe after one easy week 55k will be a normal base week for you and not a struggle to maintain.

It'll be good to take it easy after doing a big week. Maybe after one easy week 55k will be a normal base week for you and not a struggle to maintain.

'That's what I'm hoping. 55 is about where I was consistently for a couple weeks in the fall. Of course it's also when my hip flexor strain developed, so I am being mindful of that. So far it isn't returning at all though!

Tonight I went to speed work group. I felt pretty crappy because my period started today. sorry, TMI I'm sure, but it really affects me physically. Anyway, I cut the workout a bit short but still put in about 8k. Also, the wind was absolutely brutal. I've never been colder while running.

Thats great...this week will hopefully let it recover completely and be ready for the pounding you'll be giving it later in the season.

Our vegetarian association is entering a running team in the upcoming race weekend. We got our printed shirts tonight! We did them on moisture wicking shirts.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/pamelaswitzer/pamelarunningshirt.jpg

From behind:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/pamelaswitzer/runningshirtback.jpg

Edited by pamela