i'm gonna be buff!

ok, so i decided it's finally time to start a journal to hold myself accountable with. so here's my story.

i'm 22, 5'8" and about 127 lbs. i am in a sort of cutting phase, where i am hopeing to lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously even if it is very slowly. i work out diligently, but i screw up my diet more often than i'd like to. i have eating issues. i was diagnosed with EDNOS (eating disorder not otherwise specified) which basically menas they can't quite pinpoint what i have, but its an eating disorder. i know that i am an emotional eater and sometimes binge (a lot) when life gets tough.i also, even when i'm on track, seem to be too preoccupied with food, and what i'll eat next and blah blah blah. i am constantly crunching numbers and calculating out percentages of macros and the like.

luckily, my body is perfectly healthy, my fitness goals are legit and i have no intention of reaching them in an unhealthy way. have i made you all think i'm nutso yet ? i have everything under control now, but as anyone who's ever had an ed knows, it never completely disappears. but i am a ok and stronger than ever.

my biggest problem is that the fitness aspect of my life seems to overshadow everything else or esle it just won't happen at all. i am hoping to find a balnce between fitness, peace of mind and a social life ideally. there are not a lot of likeminded people around me. there are no vegans at all and very few people interested in fitness (and even fewer girls who are)

i lift heavy and i love it. veggieprincess is my online trainer and she is freaking fantastic not to mention a very sweet person. my biggest goals are to do unassisted wide grip pull ups. 20 military pushups. and maybe a 1 handed pushup or two.

i'm at roughtly 20% body fat now and would eventually like to get down to about 15% and to have visible abs (which may be impossible because ihave so much extra skin from being overweight for so long) but slowly is ok with me.

here are some before and after shots.

before i was vegan, just a locto-ovo veg. about 190 lbs.

right after i went vegan about 5 years ago ( i dropped tenty pounds pretty quickly) i'm in the middle.

a href="http://t

these were back in january of 08 after when i started training and eating serioulsy again.

and these are about 3 and a half months later after serious training and eating with some slip ups here and there....

forgive the poor picture quality, but they're cell pics. no one owuld help me. but i'm proud of myself anyway. i'll be posting both food and workout logs. hopefully...

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great to see you started a journal Dani!!!!

You have come so dang far.

You can ALWAYS talk to me about your emotional eating, because believe me... I get it. I'm not just hear to whoop your ass into shape... I'm pretty good at counseling emotional eaters too, so feel free to email me or even call me if you think your going to have an episode.

We've both shared with eachother those times when we need to hide or throw away the nuts because sometimes we're fine with out 10 almonds and other times we could eat the whole dang bag!!! I can really relate to emotional eating and I am definitely one too.

But it is really about what you do more often than not that gets you to your goal, so I'd love to see you not be so hard on yourself. You are young and your body will respond really quickly when you've overeaten one day... as long as you continue to get back on the horse.

So try not to be so hard on yourself. You don't have to have all the answers or completely work through everything. You can still cheat once in awhile and get to 15% BF if that is indeed your goal.

(I was gonna email you tonight with an answer back on the home BF test... I didn't forget)

wow thanks everyone. i wasn't expecting such a response.

potter, you'll be seeing a lot more of me as i'll be out in portland with you and l&g for the whole extra time.

and veggieprincess, you have been such a huge help to me. really. and an inspiration to say the least. it always makes me happy to know i can count on you.

DV you are also an inspirtaion to me. have you looked at the weight you're moving lately? holy shit you are strong! and very knowledgable. it always impresses me.

alison, pazios, hilary wright, and dawgburt- thank you very much. it means a lot to me.

ok, so yesterday was legs day for me. the first day in my new workout program, so i went with weight a little lower just to get the form right, but my legs are still pretty sore today.

1 leg leg curl--3 sets of 12x45 lbs

Leg ext w/ body elevated--1 set 15x30, 2 sets 15x35

Hack Squats --first time ever doing these. was very surprised at how heavy the machine is alone. and it KILLED my shoulders(in a bad way)

1st and 2nd set with 20lbs added, 3rd set just the machine.

Reverse Lunges with DBS-I have a hip that pops a lot, so i tend to go light on lunges or it does pop and it hurts. 3 sets of 12 reps/leg wit two 10lb DBS

One Leg Calf Raise- 3 sets of 12/leg with 2 12.5 lb DBS

Roman Chair Straight Leg Raise 3 of 12

3 sets of crunches on ball to failure...about 110 total.

i got on the treadmill for about a minute an a half, said screw this. and went to the stadium to jog around and enjoy the weather rather than stare at the tvs under flourescent lights in front of me...you know the feeling. about an hour or so of that...although i was distracted more than once by adorable pooches.

decent food day-not enough veggies though imo.

i took a multi, calcium, xtend (during my workout) and st.johns wort and 5htp.

overall good day.

Edited by thendanisays

haha. thanks offense. i think the guys on this forum are decnt i guesss nah, just playing. i like you all a lot.

so today was busy as hell for me. my dad needed to borrow my car as he is staying with me for a bit, so i walked to the gym with my 30lb bag schlepped over my shoulders with all my gym/work/food stuff for the day. did some new excercises ( i left my notebook in my bag and am too damn tired to get it)

the exercises were

wide grip pulldowns

chest cable crossovers

seated rows

hammer curls

incline bicep curls

and i was supposed to do pushups but i was already so sore that i didn't even try. i could feel it just wasn't gonna happen.

i gopt in 17 minutes of cardio (should be fifty) before my ride to work got there (way earlier than i expected)

i worked from 1030 am to 11pm ( i bartend) with NOT EVEN A FIVE MINUTE BREAK!!!!!!! holy shit!!!!! i was eating all of meals on the fly...which means i have very little concept of how spaced out they were. i felt like i was picking all day. now i'm home and i am hungry and trying not to eat a whole bunch of bananas or something. hahaha. on the plus side i made over $300, so hey- not too bad....except that my feet are killing me! good thing tomorrow is only cardio. i think i can manage.

wow thanks everyone. i wasn't expecting such a response.

potter, you'll be seeing a lot more of me as i'll be out in portland with you and l&g for the whole extra time.

and veggieprincess, you have been such a huge help to me. really. and an inspiration to say the least. it always makes me happy to know i can count on you.

DV you are also an inspirtaion to me. have you looked at the weight you're moving lately? holy shit you are strong! and very knowledgable. it always impresses me.

alison, pazios, hilary wright, and dawgburt- thank you very much. it means a lot to me.

ok, so yesterday was legs day for me. the first day in my new workout program, so i went with weight a little lower just to get the form right, but my legs are still pretty sore today.

1 leg leg curl--3 sets of 12x45 lbs

Leg ext w/ body elevated--1 set 15x30, 2 sets 15x35

Hack Squats --first time ever doing these. was very surprised at how heavy the machine is alone. and it KILLED my shoulders(in a bad way)

1st and 2nd set with 20lbs added, 3rd set just the machine.

Reverse Lunges with DBS-I have a hip that pops a lot, so i tend to go light on lunges or it does pop and it hurts. 3 sets of 12 reps/leg wit two 10lb DBS

One Leg Calf Raise- 3 sets of 12/leg with 2 12.5 lb DBS

Roman Chair Straight Leg Raise 3 of 12

3 sets of crunches on ball to failure...about 110 total.

i got on the treadmill for about a minute an a half, said screw this. and went to the stadium to jog around and enjoy the weather rather than stare at the tvs under flourescent lights in front of me...you know the feeling. about an hour or so of that...although i was distracted more than once by adorable pooches.

decent food day-not enough veggies though imo.

i took a multi, calcium, xtend (during my workout) and st.johns wort and 5htp.

overall good day.

Next time... can you walk really fast around the stadium instead of jogging?

Especially with how lean you are getting (and with the title of your journal being "I Wanna Get Buff )... Id rather see you walking at a really fast pace. Does the stadium have bleachers? I sometimes do half lap walking fast, climb bleachers 5 times skipping a step each time, then another half lap walk, climb bleachers, repeat. Sometimes I will just walk the bleachers up and down for 30 minutes skipping a step in between. Its an excellent workout... but yeah... Id like to see you preserve as much lean muscle tissue as possible by walking at full speed instead of jogging

can do. sometimes i just feel like i'm doing nothing when i'm walking, even if its full speed. when i moniter it on the treadmill sometimes my heartrate drops below 120 even if i'm at 4.1 mph.....although thats at a low incline. i just tried yesterday doing only 3 mph at a 15% incline which was awesome. but thats not easy to find outside. but i do like the bleacher idea. our bleachers are HUGE!

p.s 3rd day on track 110% in a row. not one.little.slipup.

life is crazy right now. i just got home form the gym. eating has been on track completely with my only cheats in the past 4 days being. 2 Tbl soy whipped cream, a few TBL of low cal zinfandel dressing, a couple Tbl Ketchup, and of course i will not give up soy creamer in my coffee, but it's very very little.

my workout:

i am pyramiding these excersizes so its four sets the first being 12 reps, 2nd being 10 reps, 3rd being 8 reps and 4th being 6th. which i am loving btw.

Bent Rear Delts (I have a very hard time with these--always)

2.5, 5, 7.5, 10

Arnold Press

12.5, 15, 17.5, 20

OH tricep Extrention

12.5, 15, 17.5, 20

Rope Pulldown

30, 35, 35 (very difficult at this point...don't know why), 40

Bent Rear Delts again, 1 arm at time this time

2.5, 5, 7.5, 10

hanging leg twist crunches

3 sets of 12

full body v-ups

3sets of 12 ( ihave a popping hip, this movement hurts sometimes)

and 60 minutes low intesity cadrio on the treadmill at 8.6%incline at 3.9 mph

going to work soon to serve ungrateful, snobby customers fancy martinis......yuck. hope i make some loot!

i have bought every single flavor of wishbone spritzers and, i don't know, i just do not like them. i make my own dressings something with just vinegar, water and spices and then add my fat serving to the salad separately, which works well. but when i'm at work, its much harder because i'm already bringing a truck sizd cooler with me everyday. so we have this dressing called low-cal zinfandel which is definately fat free, BUT i think it may have more sugar than is allowed, i should really stop being lazy and read the recipe to see....

on a good note, saturdays are usually hard for me to stick to my diet, but i did it. when i went out after work, i had only one drink and then soda water after that. YAY!

aaaaaaaaaannnnd i blew it. severe stress (think: my dad, whom i'm letting live withme for free, driving my new car and my little brother around blackout drunk) hit the end of this weekend and i let it get to me.

i won employee of the year and ha dto go to a big corporate party, which included all the free vegan wine you could drink, which was cool since its not a vegan company i work for and the wine was delicious, buit i only had a few glasses. the problem came after that when i got hungry i had little to no inhibitions and since we were in boston we might as well go to grasshopper (my favorite vegan restaurant) and t.j scallywaggles (the all vegan pizzeria i used to co-own) to say hello.....not good.

as if this wasn't bad enough, nursing a hangover is not conducive to five small meals in a day. . . . . .so . . . there's that. sigh. oh well. back on track in the a.m. and lets not talk cardio, which has been non-existant for the past three days, save the pacing around and yelling at people who should be responsible enough to take care of themselves...which is actually kind of a good workout--being angry that is.

all in all though, i'm feeling better now and hopefully will be back on track until the wedding i'm going to on saturday, which i there will be lots of pictures of.

Dani,

This blog is incredible. You are performing all sorts of serious exercises to build lbm and your pics are amazing. I cannot believe where you have come from and where you are now, it is truly surreal. You have made a ton of progress all over and done a fantastic job at shedding off bf. I especially love how your hamstrings bulge out on the shot where you are standing up sideways. I wouldn't flip out over the cheat days but then again it only shows how crucially motivated and serious you are about succeeding and sticking to the plan and goals. It doesn't seem like you get upset just that you want to do it right. It is going to be an absolute pleasure to have your accompaniment traveling to Portland and hanging with you the extra days we will be there.

I would like to join the "Dani Fan Club' if possible, there has to be one with the way you have excelled.

Looking spectacular!

also, 135 deadlifts, I can see you there one day, don't fear it, you're already more than halfway there. And unassisted wide grip pullups, I know you can do it!

Dani,

This blog is incredible. You are performing all sorts of serious exercises to build lbm and your pics are amazing. I cannot believe where you have come from and where you are now, it is truly surreal. You have made a ton of progress all over and done a fantastic job at shedding off bf. I especially love how your hamstrings bulge out on the shot where you are standing up sideways. I wouldn't flip out over the cheat days but then again it only shows how crucially motivated and serious you are about succeeding and sticking to the plan and goals. It doesn't seem like you get upset just that you want to do it right. It is going to be an absolute pleasure to have your accompaniment traveling to Portland and hanging with you the extra days we will be there.

I would like to join the "Dani Fan Club' if possible, there has to be one with the way you have excelled.

Looking spectacular!

also, 135 deadlifts, I can see you there one day, don't fear it, you're already more than halfway there. And unassisted wide grip pullups, I know you can do it!

Yes, your hammies are amazing.

You must have a damn good trainer or something!!!

I am going to email you some extra tips you can apply before the wedding

awwww thanks, you guys are fantastic. l&g, youre words never cease to amaze me. seriously one of the most motivating people i know.

and veggieprincess, that trainer i have, she's quite a looker herself

i did well today guys. about 90% perfect. and i got your email vp. that will all be put into action in the a.m. i'm not too too worried about my stomach being wicked flat for the wedding because my dress is one of those ones thats all bunched up on the sides and its hard to see anyway....plus its a size 5 which is 2 sizes too large for me and i had to buy a padded bra to fill it out! HA HA HA! god, i remember what boobs were like. sigh. oh well the size 3 was $170 and the size 5 was $70, sooooooi i couldn't really pass that up ow could i? .....it still looks pretty damn good i think. i'll post pictures afterwards.

also, on a funny side note, i caught myself doing calf raises and and those standing butt kicks during dead times behind the bar today....ok, so i didn't catch myself.....a co-worker did but it's ok. they all think im a crazy one anyway. i can't really blame them