Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: i'm gonna be buff!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:35 pm 
Mastodon

thendanisays wrote:
i did biceps today and i finished with 20lb dbs! woo hoo! i was pretty proud of myself. never done that before, figured i'd try...only about 4 reps/ arm, but i did a set of 10 with 17.5 right before that. sweet. also my legs are still pretty sore but i managed to get about 25 minuted of cardio on the elliptical with low resistance, just faster pedaling.

this is day 3 of just juices and blends and i felt like i was eating a lot (veggiepriness would cry if she saw all the fruit! :wink: ) but i'm down 3 lbs in 3 days.....so.......? we'll see how the rest of the week goes....

got dem GOOD OLE carbs working for you.

335 Squat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:52 pm 
Elephant

Wow!

Have I been M.I.A. for a long time or what???

A new love? Juice Feasting? Too much fruit?? (ha, ha... just kidding on that last one)

I totally support what your doing! Sounds like your doing a modified juice feast and still getting your protein shakes in. Love it.

I am doing less raw now. I do a raw shakes for Meals 1 and sometimes Meal 4 and try to do some raw veggies but when I was trying to do too much raw I felt really really sick and not myself and I know, that's how a lot of people are supposed to feel at first and getting the toxins out, etc. But I had so much digestion trouble and pain and discomfort that I scaled way back. Let me know how it works out for you! Maybe I'll try it again sometime.

I love that your lifting so heavy. Definitely the way to go with where your body is at now. Heavy lifts with less reps.

Call me or email me with how your plan is working out and what your doing exactly. Sorry I've been away for awhile.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:51 pm 
Mastodon

She is soooooo strong, I am scared she will catch me on pulldowns. :o

335 Squat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:44 am 
Gorilla

hahaha. thanks zack. i wouldn't worry about that too much. :wink:

so yesterday was day 5 of this juicefeast and i felt like crap, until i went and did some cardio outside and then i felt great! and then i had so much energy that i didn't know what to do with it!

doing just juice today. kinda nervous about it as it's 8:45 am and i'm already hungry....oh well. i'll try anything once!

only 3 days left then i get to see L&G (hahaha) and break the feast together! awwwwww.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:03 am 
Elephant

Not to worry. You will be ok. I'm doing al juices with you today :D You got this......

Joelk wrote:
But as long as people stay away from our cooler bags with our meals and not ask silly questions, we're all pretty tame

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:50 pm 
Gorilla

the good- my juice feast ended me at 123 lbs (which is the lowest I've ever been) and i felt great the whole time with the execption of the day that i did just juice, no blends, no protein....maybe my body just wasn't ready for it? I don't know, but i didn't like it. i felt great the rest of the time.

the bad- due to a bunch of crappy events leading up to the end of my juice feast (think: 12 hours in car, tire changing on i-95 at 4 am and no sleep whatsoever before the Animal Rights Conference in D.C) I ended up not breaking me feast correctly, went kinda overboard with the eating (like homemade raw chocolate at 3a.m. GIACOMO! :evil: )and now am back up to a good ole 129. dammit. that was fast. I think a lot of it is water as i have been heavy on the salt and i feel super bloated. i feel like i'm made out of jello. yuck. i NEED to fix this!

I have been busy with traveling and getting ready to move in oct all while trying to save money and fitness has slipped to the wayside and it's driving me bonkers! It is definately time for a change in diet although I'm not quite sure what i want to do. Due to some influence of Lean and Green I have been experimenting with a high raw diet. I like is just fine, but the amount of fat (allbeit good-for-you fat) makes me feel CRAPPY...tatses awesome though. The gemma that i usually consume has been makeing me feel even more bloated, so i bought a pound of hemp protein today and i'm gonna try using it all day tomorrow. i hope it works because i just like the idea of it so much more that a procesed isolate, you know? I've pretty much cut all grains out of my diet over the past month (with the exception of the grilled shreese sandwhich here or there :wink: ). I think i can count the number of times i've had any starchy carbs over the past month on my hands. and ive been eating a lot more fruit, which i enjoy a whole lot more.

its all an experiment though. but then again, it always is.

need to fix my training routine stat! I feel my muscles melting away!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:10 am 
Elephant

Keep experimenting! It's the only way you'll figure out what works for you. I went 99% raw for a month last year, high protein (with isolates), high protein (without isolates), high carb, low carb, high fat and low fat. I've come to the conclusion that many things CAN work for me but it all comes down to calories in/out for overall weight/mass and low sodium/low isolate to control bloat and blood pressure. Of course, nothing controls abdominal bloat when bulking, IMO.

I found that when it came to a high raw diet, the bulk of my calories came from more 'gourmet' high fat foods (which were also very high in omega 6 fatty acids and saturated fats, for the most part). I found gourmet high raw to be fun but low fat high raw to be not so much fun. It was too much juicing and chewing for my taste - but you may enjoy it more than I did.

You'll pick up where you left off when you have more time to work out. Sometimes life gets in the way!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:02 pm 
Elephant

DV is so right, sometimes life gets in the way. Just last week I felt awful, and quite unmotivated because of various stuff going on in my life. The first thing that it affected of course was my time at the gym. Then when I felt like going I started not feeling so good. At least you are eating well, that's the area that I need to desperately improve upon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:14 pm 
Gorilla

SODIUM HOW YOU MOCK ME! BAH! The high raw diet has still been happening. Its not so bad, but this FREAKING slald dressing that i am currently having an affair with (Miso Tahinii--possibly the new love of my life) has been bloating the hell out of me! I cut the miso in half and upped the vinegar AAAAAAAAAND started drinking over a gallon of water daily, so hopefully that will help. still doing some isolates as i have no other options yet. everything else is raw. Still a little iffy bout my feelings on it thus far, but it definately hasn't been bad. All a learning experience.

I'm very number oriented when it comes to my food and i have been on such a clear cut plan for so long that i have kind of felt like a kid in a candy store for the past month or so and that HAS GOT TO STOP! and it will. lifes just hectic thats all. I've put a few pounds on, but there is good news:
I think alot of it was actually muscle. yesssssssss!

I have started this new system of training (courtesy of DV) which is specifically to increase stregth with HEAVY weights (for me anyway) and low reps (4-6) as my first exercise for whatever muscle group I'm training followed by 4 exercises in an 8-10 rep range (all to failure) all it is like WHOA! Man I am SOOOOORE. I can't tell if its because it is so hardcore or because ive slacked so much lately, but either way, I'm loving it.

Life is still hectic with the moving across the whole freaking country and all, so i'm sure i wont be at 100% til we get there, but i aim to be pretty damn close. when i dont work out and eat right, i feel crappy. if i feel crappy (physically or mentally) then i get nothing accomplised. if i get nothing accomplished, then i'll never be ready to move. if i never move, well...you get the point. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:49 am 
Stegosaurus

No oil, lowER sodium, cheap, FAST salad dressing recipes

http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj99may/99maysalad.htm

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:00 pm 
Gorilla

Since July, i have managed to put on about 10 pounds give or take. its not the end of the world, but it is very frustrating because i was THISCLOSE to my goals (although it is kinda nice to have boobs again HAHAHAHA!)...so NOW i have to drop back down to where i was and tear it up until i'm there agina and then i'll start bulking up. hopefully that will be around the time Giacomo's competetionis over and we can kind of do it together. 8)

I had been doing high raw up until this week. It was fun and delicious, but for some reason it wasn't working well for me at this moment in time. I'm sure i'll try it again at some point down the road, it would be easier to try living with a raw foodist i bet, but you should see Giacomo and I when we're together around food.....its amazing how we can eat-especially together....its hilarious. a show in and of itself, i swear.
so basically I'm back to a similar diet plan to the one that Melissa has had me on and although it's less fun, i'm not gonna deny that it works. not for one second. its a miracle worker if i have the will power, which i'm hoping that i do. :boxer:

trying something different lately as far as my workouts go. so far i am LOVING IT! I can feel myself getting stronger. i've been working one body part per week.
day 1-legs
day 2-biceps/triceps
day 3-back
day 4-shoulders
day 5-chest

I've been trying to get more cardio in because i have slacked on it lately. The weather here is beautiful so i'm trying to take as much of it in as possible before i got to grey grey portland. :D I am tired of low intesity cardio, so i am trying to do higher intensity cardio in addition to it. I have no endurance whatsoever and i HATE IT, so i am trying to change that. I ran (don't laugh at me) 2 miles today! I can run for longer than that on a treadmill, but i dont think i've ever done it on the ground before, so i was really happy about it. THEN I went to the gym to do chest.

Flat BB Press
45x10 (warmup)
70x6
70x6
75x3.5
70x6 (why could i do six again with 70 and only 3.5 with 75 :oops: )
70x4.5

Cable Crossover
12x10 (/side)
15x10
15x10

Incline DB Press
20x10
20x10
22.5x10 (guess next week i'll go much heavier here if i'm finishing higher than i started)

Pec Deck
35x10
35x10
45x8 (ditto)

Decline Press
My gym only has one decline bench and there was this guy who was showing no sign of being done anytime soon, so i was trying to find a way to replicate it. there was a michine which felt like crap, then i tried pushups-that was not happening....THEN i went to the decling bench that people usually do abs on and carried a 45 lb pound baody bar to it and climbed on it then tried to hoist it up on top of me....it was funny and everyone lokoed at me like i was crazy. but i did it anyway :zunge: )
45x10
45x10
45x8

hmmmm....any other huge achievements....????I can curl 20 lb DBs and i feel like i"m literally thisclose to being able to do a few pullups on my own.....hopefully if i drop this pesky 10 pounds..... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:41 pm 
Elephant

Great workout!!!

I'm glad you put on weight if your breasts got larger - a sure sign, IMO, that you were too thin before!!!

I realize that you've lost weight in the past, but I really think you need to put some more on (mostly lean mass) before cutting again. You appear to be normal/thin for your build and I would bet you'd reach your goal if you first bulk up (which will really increase your metabolism) and THEN worry about cutting/toning/etc. I know you're not looking to compete but training as though you will can really transform your body, IMO.

I was wondering how the high raw diet would go for you. I would not be surprised if it had something to do with your weight gain ( I gained 5 lbs, mostly fat, when I did it 18 months ago - of course I had to do gourmet raw so it was seriously high in calories, but tasty).

I'm looking forward to seeing you two soon. When does Giacomo compete?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:49 pm 
Stegosaurus

When you come to Portland you can do hill repeats with me at Mt Tobar. :)
That and I can take you on a long hilly ride.
And be careful not to dig in on all of those wonderful gourmet raw foods Giacomo prepares !
You'll drop 10 lbs in a week :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:27 am 
Gorilla

I really enjoyed eating high raw, but i was trying to stay away from gourmet foods towards the end and something just wasn't satiating me (maybe just mentally, but that matters too dammit!) so i went back to the old way. my plan right now is to drop back to where i was ojnly about 7 more pounds, because i feel like almost everything i gained was fat :roll: and then i want to bulk up probably to about 140-145 of mostly muscle before cutting down again. this bulking cutting thing is something i've never really done before and try as i might, i still have that girl mentality that is kind of petrified of gaining weight....gotta get over that STAT!

as for giacomo i'm not sure when he'll compete, november pehaps....?

Tasha wrote:
When you come to Portland you can do hill repeats with me at Mt Tobar. :)
That and I can take you on a long hilly ride.
And be careful not to dig in on all of those wonderful gourmet raw foods Giacomo prepares !
You'll drop 10 lbs in a week :wink:

Do you know how much i am looking forward to learning how to ride a bike???!!! A LOT! maybe we could start with some flat straight aways first please :D and you have to promise not to laugh at me! I must look so awkward. but i can't wait to ride with you!!! I'm pumped!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:07 am 
Stegosaurus

I never really understood the bulking and cutting and the benefits. Does it mean that when you gain all that weight. Will you cut it down to muscle and shed the weight off?

OMG I won't laugh at you. How can I laugh at someone who's trying out something new. I think it would be so much fun riding with you. I'm so proud of you Dani :) don't feel discourage or if you're fatiguing. You'll be just fine sweetie !
The only person I laughed not even laughed at but laughed with is Robert. But I was only laughing at him because we couldn't pump his tires up at home because his spokes were in the way. Anyways he was riding downtown with two flat tires and I was way ahead of him. I looked behind me hen I stopped to wait up for him. OMG so funny when he was just pushing it. He reminded me of the witch on the Wizard of Oz. :lol: dundadunda dundadunda daudadunda I was mostly laughing because he was so happy. Huge smile on his face and he couldn't stop smiling.
I bet that's what you're going to look like on a bike. Even I still am.
I now get these kinda facial expression climbing up hills.
Look at this facial expression. :lol:
This is a picture of a girl who races for giant, I know from back home. She is amazing !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next