HST - Holy Shite Training

Okay, now i'm getting serious!

10 days without training have me pumped for serious workout!

Couldn't wait any longer to start this thread....

I will workout this week according to HST principles, because of the 10 days deconditioning. That means, whole body workout 4 times till friday, increasing weights, decreasing reps, no muscle failure.

Today i started easy, with high reps and medium weights. After a week without training, this is hard but necessary for the cardio vascular system.

I did bench press, pull ups, squats (2 sets with 20 reps - hello Johnathan! ) and barbell row two sets each, then dips, SL deadlifts, military press, curls, calves, crunches one set each.

Tomorrow the same with 5-10kg more, depending on the exercise.

Same on thursday and friday, then the weekend off ...

...and THEN: what i've been looking for a long time now, the Doggcrapp routine. This is a killer workout, but it gives great results for advanced trainees. I'll be doing it for at least 6 weeks, depending on the results.

Training plan is only the half deal - other is nutrition. At the moment, i'm having the usual plus christmas goodies I'm gonna eat big in order to get big.

In this thread, i'm gonna post photos every ~2 months to compare results and to motivate me further. First set of pics will be next sunday, before the DC starts. I hope there will be a visible progress!

And i'm gonna get a scale sometime in the not-to-distant future...

Okay, bored you long enough....

I'm gonna get some food now...

Edited by Daywalker

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The workout today showed me i've really lost strength

Especially my lower back, but bench press also.

(Today was:

Bench: 90kg x 6, 6 reps (not as easy as it should've been)

Chins: +10kg x 10, 10 reps (easy)

Squat: 100kg x 15, 15 reps (easy)

Dips: +20kg x 10 reps (easy)

Quitted rows, SLDLs and Military Press to save my lower back.

Dumbell curls, calves, crunches.)

I'm scared as well as excited of my DC routine... monday will be an interesting workout

Tomorrow we'll get the first shots and a few measurements.

Let's get ready to rumble!

Yesterday was the day i've been looking for along time - first day of DC

To tell the truth, i was a little scared as well.

Okay, it went like this:

Warm up.

Chest:

Bench press: 90kg x 9 reps + 2 assisted reps, 15 breath-break, 2 reps + 1 assisted. Then loaded stretching (LS) for ~ 60 seconds. OUCH, i'm not used to this anymore! I could feel myself grow instantly (and i was sore instantly)

Shoulders:

Dumbell press: 26kg x9 + 1 assisted, 15 breaths-break, another rep. Loaded stretching for ~ 60 seconds. Tough, but not as painful in the shoulders as the chest exercise.

Triceps:

Dips: 25kg added (plus my new chain, which is at least 5lbs, maybe 10 on it's own ) for 9 reps (ALMOST 10 - argh, it was like this the whole day ). Break for 15 breaths, then another 4 reps, then LS.

Lats:

Pull ups (wide grip) with 10kg added. Concentrated on form, but was weak... 9 reps (!) plus another 2 after the 15 breaths break. LS=hanging off the bar afterwards for as long as possible (not long, but longer than i thought i could ).

Back:

Bent over barbell row, underhand grip: 90kg for 9 reps ( ), no rest-pause set here, too dangerous imho. LS.

Did two singles deadlift with 140kg just to get into this exercise again and realize how weak i am at the moment

Then rotator cuff work and it was it for the day.

Now growing

20 reps!? blah!

seriously though - even though you say that you are weak, the only exercise that i could out do you with is the bench (but its always going to be like that - ill always be a better bencher! ).

im not sure that i would consider myself an advanced lifter yet, so maybe ill give doggcrapp a miss for a year or so. could you please explain this hst thing to me though?

jonathan

Hey big John!

the only exercise hat i could out do you with is the bench (but its always going to be like that - ill always be a better bencher!

You wanna bet?

I'm far away at the moment from my personal best, but i think in 1-2 months i'm back at full strength, if not sooner. Only "problem" is that DC is not about going for single rep max. I estimate that i'll be doing 95kg for 10 times next time i bench, at least that's my minimum goal.

And i'm talking nice slow reps here, slow eccentric descent

By the way, are you or Kathryn missing a black sweatshirt?

For info on HST look here:

www.hypertrophy-specific.com

Great program, but your joints have to get used to the high volume.

i do wanna bet! you forget at the moment that i am also bulking, and also stronger than ever.

i challenge you to get to 300lbs (136.4kg) or 140kg before me on the bench! put your money where your mouth is!

plus, these types of challenges inevitably make all participants train much harder so it can only be a good thing

im not sure that i am missing a top - but then i dont really pay much attention to what i wear. what kind of top it is?

jonathan

i do wanna bet! you forget at the moment that i am also bulking, and also stronger than ever.

i challenge you to get to 300lbs (136.4kg) or 140kg before me on the bench! put your money where your mouth is!

Hehe, good

But as i said - i do slow, controlled sets in a rep range of 6-15, not single max. And i know you're stronger at the moment, but you said you'll be always be better - not who's first at a certain weight

Let's see... okay, what about two challenges at the same time? One who's first at 300lbs (probably you) (paused rep, not touch and go) and one who can do more reps with 120kg next may.

I have to look for the top, will email you later.

300lb paused is going to be hard! i was thinking touch and go, as im not too far off on that. but i think that the most that i could pause at the moment is 122.5-125 so ive got my work cut out for me!

i like the idea of repping at 120kg. i will say that by may next year i should be able to do 5-6reps with that weight. on a good day now i think that i could do three (based on the fact that i did 2sets of 3 at 117.5 yesterday). how many do you think you could do?

jonathan

@John:

At the moemnt i think i can't even do one rep But wait until may

@Will:

Loaded stretching is extreme passive stretching - you let yourself be stretched by a weight. At the same time, you hold tension against the weight. For example chest: you take two dumbells and take the bottom position of dumbell flies and hold it there. During the stretch, you try to go deeper and deeper into the stretch. Very ouch

Today's workout:

Squats:

I lack a power rack and/or workout partner So i can't really do a set to failure, that's why i did rest-pause set instead, which i would never do for squats when doing sets to failure. So: 120kg for 12 RP 5 RP 3 reps + LS.

Hamstrings:

Cannot explain this exercise... K-Oz calls it "kneecrusher", i prefer "Mohammeds" Anyway, very hard one +LS.

Biceps:

Dumbell curls on incline bench: 20kg for 6 RP 1 RP 3 reps + slow eccentric on the last rep each. LS.

Forearms:

Barbell wrist curls behind the back while standing. 50kg for 15 reps, then LS, then the gripper no. 2 for 2 reps each side. Can't close it, but do a max effort, hold it, then slow negative.

Traps:

Dumbell shrugs. Pretty stupid to do that after forearms 40kg only 12 slow reps, then grip failed.

Calves:

On leg press. 170kg for 14 reps, 5 seconds LS before each rep.

Got a weight scale for christmas

This morning, i officially weighed in at 84.0 kg

Not as much as i had expected, but okay. From tomorrow on, the holidays are over and my diet goes back to normal (less cake than the past weeks, but as much food as i can comfortably ingest). Will weigh myself every training day and post my weight here every month. Try to keep it increasing everytime, along with my expected strength gains this will inevitably lead to more muscle

The problem of doing squats DC style without a power rack and/or training partner is solved: from wednesday on i'll have a training partner

He's a cool guy, about my strength, and physiotherapist. Around 40, but you'd guess him ten years younger. He wanted to try DC training anyway, so we'll do it together. No mercy, i'll crush him AND the log!

He's not vegan - yet!

Training on friday was okay.

Today's workout was good, i did squats again. Rather than doing Rest-Pause set, i did a drop set to increase intensity. I did 130kg for 7 reps (not very good) and then dropped a plate each side and did (without break) 100kg for 20 reps. That was quite hard But i know there's still a lot of potential there. With a spotter, i'm going to do the same with 10kg more next time.

Looking forward to next workout

The real interesting part starts next monday, when the war against the logbook begins

HI Daywalker I have been Doggcrapp training for along time and what you are doing is not fullon D/C Dante [the guy who invented D/c] has asked all posts etc on D/C not to be shown for various reasons as like yours its not true D/C so will you please change the name of your routine.Robbie

Hi Robbie.

Why do you think my training is not DC?

As you, i'm a member on intensemuscle.com, i think i know what DC is. At this point, i follow the DC principles very strict, almost no customizing (yet?). The only thing i do different is that i use squats as the only leg exercise, because of my knee injury which prevents me from doing other exercises.

So, what do you think in my training is not DC?????

Confused greetings,

Daywalker

Hi Daywalker rep range wrong no bench pressing no assisted its extreme streching etc, in the Dogg pound go on intensemuscle and re read look at post ,where are the stickies then you will see why Dante does not want D/C posted.I am not being funny hats to you man for going for it the routine you are going is fine but not fullon D/C same as me I have a few variations in mine so I dont call it D/C as repect to Dante.ROBBIE

Hi Robbie.

I really don't care if my training is called DC or otherwise. I respect Dante highly. I use all of his principles in my training. I have to slightly adapt it though, due to my knee injury, the limited number of exercises i can do at my gym etc. But I think it's still DC.

I do the extreme stretch.

The rep range is something individual, as Dante himself says. There is no "wrong" (or "right") rep range, just recommendations by Dante to begin with. I just started the DC routine again and have to find out what weight i can use - in some exercises i estimated wrong, so the reps came out at a different number than expected/aimed for.

Assisted reps: how else can you go to muscle failure? You need a spotter/training partner to do DC for you'll ALWAYS need help on your last rep! (ok, maybe not if you have a power rack, but i think the last, assisted rep adds to the intensity).

Greetings,

Daywalker

Hi to do D/C you need a gym so you can do 30 different exercises I go to 3 gyms on D/C training you do not go to failure thats why you rest pause.Why dont you call your training Alex,s D/C style training just to make me happy and re knees tell me about it 8 operations on mine very bad pain at the moment caused a virus in my left eye saying that not missed a workout yet I will keep going till I drop All the best train hard keep strong ROBBIE

Hm, i don't get it

If i didn't call it DC, i'd have to explain in detail what i do and why. Then, after i did it, someone would say "Hey, that's DC training!" Because it is.

It's easier to say "I do DC with a change fopr squats due to my knee" instead of explaining what i do in detail (which i read on IntenseMuscle.com anyway).

I did squats rest-pause ONCE, true, because without a spotter or rack it seemed the best way to do them.

Now i have a training partner and can do them to failure (i did today - oh boy )

Except for squats, i do 3 different exercises for all muscles, so it's DC. On squats, i vary the rep ranges instead of the exercises.

A virus in your left eye causes you bad knee pain???

Get well soon,

love and peace,

Alex

The pain in my knees caused the virus in my eye.I give up on trying to tell you your not D/C ING post up the routine here on intensemuscle in the Doggpound and see what them guys say there,its bits of D/C not full on.Most people have not heard of Doggcrap training and I never get people in the gym asking me what training is that they will soon as Dave Henry does it and has just got a spot in Muscular Development and Dante is writing a book to be out soon ROBBIE

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have worked out like this for the past 7 weeks.

My strength gains were not as good as expected, not as good as last time i did this routine.

I gained strength mainly in squats and back, but almost nothing in arms, chest and shoulders. My weight has remained the same, too.

From monday on i'll do a new routine for 6 weeks. It's a whole body workout, three days per week. I want to get used to a higher volume again slowly. I will have three different days, but each time the whole body.

Everyday will be different exercises, but only compound exercises like squats, dips, chin ups, rows, presses etc.

It will be 2 sets each muscle, clean straight sets close to failure.

I will post the exact routine soon.

After these 6 weeks, i'll start another HST cycle, with even higher volume.