Sarah's progress not perfection journal

I had a crappy diet day today. I thought about starting my journal tomorrow, but decided that'd I'd like to be able to look back on this and see my progress. Anyway, my main problem was mindless snacking and not nailing down my meals. Here's what I ate:

Breakfast

Organic Oatmeal and a banana

handful of Almonds, Dry Roasted - With Salt Added

Cafe Au Lait - Tall-sized with Soy milk

Lunchh

Salad with lettuce, shredded carrots and red cabbage, cucumber slices and tomato wedges w/ 1 tbsp. Kraft Free Fat Free Italian Dressing 2 huge chunks of pineapple

handful of Wasabi Peas

2 handfuls of Chex Mix

Dinner

Back to Nature granola bar

5 strawberries

2 handfuls of Grapes

Glass of red wine

Snacks

Spiru-Tein w/ water

handful of Pumpkin Seed

handful of Almonds, Dry Roasted - With Salt Added

At least I didn't have any rice cream!!!

Workout was:

Ran 2.8 miles on my lunch break. Today was my break from weight lifting.

My Affirmations:

I will not snack because my next meal is just around the corner.

I will push myself to failure at the gym.

I am in control

SO this is actually yesterday's info:

MEAL # 1

Spiru-Tein w/ 1/4 cp. Rice Dream Vanilla and water

MEAL # 2 ( I had a lot of veggies that were about to go bad)

Cafe Au Lait - Tall-sized with Soy milk (US)

Salad w/ Spinach, baby carrots, red leaf lettuce, 1/2 an avocado, Cherry Tomatoes and 1/2 a baked sweet potato

MEAL # 3

Salad @ Jason'd deli:

Banana Chips, Spinach, Spring Mix, Cherry Tomatoes, slivered almonds, sunflower seeds, chick peas, edamame, black beans

MEAL # 4

Huge Chunk of Watermelon, small pear & 1/2 of a Cliff Builder's bar

MEAL # 5

Homemade Hummus, w/ baby carrots, cucumber & Ezekiel 4:9 Organic 100% Whole Grain Pocket Bread

I did much better today with the snacking, but did have about 3 glasses of wine...it's Friday. What can I say?

Workout was:

AM: 45 min. Cycling class

PM: Legs>

Exercise Set #1 Set #2 Set #3 Set #4

Smith Squat 13 @ 50 11 @ 60 13 @ 60 13 @ 60

Leg Press 10 @ 125 12 @ 125 12 @ 130 15 @ 130

Lying Leg Curls 9 @ 60 11 @ 60 10 @ 60 xxx

Seated Leg Curls 11 @ 80 11 @ 80 11 @ 90

Hip Abductor (outer) 11 @ 90 11 @ 90 12 @ 90 xxx

Hip Abductor (inner) 12 @ 70 15 @ 70 14 @ 70 xxx

Butt Blaster Machine 12 @ 60 12 @ 60 10 @ 60 xxx

After my AM workout, I had time to meditate in the Sauna and it made a world of difference in my day. I was more focused at work and in my workouts. Tomorrow is Yoga day so I'm looking forward to that!

I love your picture.

You seem to have a well balanced life in many aspects of life. Food - good amount of raw foods; some treats with moderation. Exercices - intense activity; along with some relaxation like Yoga and Meditation...

I don't seem to have reached that control-balance-concentration in my life yet. If I buy red wine, soy ice cream, whatever other things like that, I finnish it all in one shot. At least, I didn't drink any alcohol in the last 6 months and I never feel any desire for it. I'm wondering if I should drink some red wine and sake for next year's eve and Christmas, or resist to the temptation, because those are the only times I may want some...

I lack of some serenity and tranquility, I have to much stress. I really need to study Yoga and Meditation with more seriousness and devotion

Nice journal

What kind of milk do you use for your Café au lait ?

I'm not even going to log what I ate yesterday because I simply lost track. My boyfriend thinks my borderline binging behavior stems from the fact that I'm not eating enough calories. He says it's my body trying to tell me something. I don't know...but yesterday was rough. At least the foods that I do snack on aren't crap. Anyway, today is a new day.

I just joined a new gym about a month ago. My previous one just didn't have enough. I tried out a pilates class yesterday, which I thought sucked. But, I have to admit that my abs are sore today. I also did an hour long yoga class immediately after pilates. This class rocked!! It's definitely going to remain on my Saturday workout schedule.

Affirmations:

I WILL NOT SNACK INCESSANTLY TODAY!

Money is just an object

I lost 48 lbs last year.

One of the things that helped was deciding to lose only 1 pound a week. That allowed me to eat enough to be comfortable and keep my mind off of food.

The fat loss forum I was on had no shortage of people who scoffed at that advice, swore that they needed faster results to stay motivated and who cut their food back more.

They ended up quitting and/or binging and are still where they started off.

Beforewisdom is right, losing slowly is usually best. Besides the sanity factor, you are likely to lose far less muscle mass while doing it. Sometimes you can even manage to gain muscle.

As far as your affirmation to go to failure, that is not always necessary. Most current studies show that it is more helpful to go one rep short of failure. It is supposed to help your body grow faster, something with going to failure messing with the neuromuscular system and protein synthesis makes failure less productive. It is only a few percent difference, so nothing much to worry about. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I had a good diet day today. I was super busy so I didn't get to eat as often as I usually do.

MEAL # 1: Green Smoothie made with spinach, lettuce, alfalfa sprouts, frozen mango, and fresh peaches. Next time I'll leave the alfalfa out because the flavor was really overpowering.

MEAL #2: Garden burger on wheat bun with steamed broccoli. They actually serve this at the gym I go to, which is way cool.

MEAL #3: Large banana and half a peach left over from this morning.

MEAL #4: Green lentils w/ onions, brown rice and steamed spinach with garlic. Sooooo delicious!

I only got a 20 minute run in today, but I had an awesome shoulder workout. I can't seem to master the dumbbell clean jerk though. I also got about 9 sets of abs in. All in a day's work...

All I have to say is that my legs are gonna hurt tomorrow!!! Here's what I did:

Dead Lifts: 8x20+bar?? 11x30+bar 12x30+bar 9x40+bar

Leg Press: 11x145 10x145 11x145 10x145

Lying Leg Curls: 13x70 11x75 12x75 13x75

Barbell Lunges: 11x15 9x20 9x20

Calf Raises: 25x120 25x140 25x140 25x140

I also did a 40 min. spin class this AM.

Here's what I ate:

M1: Spiru-Tein w/ rice milk & water

M2: Tofu scramble on tortilla and a delicious peach

M3: Salad w/ lettuce, carrots, sprouts, avocado, and green salsa and a baked sweet potato

M4: 1/2 a cliff bar, 1/2 a soy yogurt and and apple

M5: Spiru-tein w/ water

M6: Stuffed eggplant with onions, mushrooms, tomatoes and garlic.

I wasn't really hungry for dinner so I forced myself to eat about 1/2 a portion. My diet was full of 1/2s today!!!

Affirmation for tomorrow:

Continue on the path that brings me supreme happiness!!!

You are off to a great start! Being conscious about what you're eating is half the battle!! If you can be disciplined about writing things down, it won't take long to figure out where you can do better. I find that I generally don't get enough calories in the beginning because I'm trying so hard to be vigilant and then ultimately realise that I need to eat more.

For me, it's as much about the journey as the destination.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

Pretty good deadlift.

Bar should be 45 lbs btw.

Thanks! I had done them before, but with a trainer. This time I was on my own and had a little trouble with form. My lower back is sore this morning, so I guess I did something right. I would've sworn that I wouldn't be able to walk this morning, but surprisingly my legs really aren't that sore. I guess I'll jut have to put them through more hell next time...

Pretty good deadlift.

Bar should be 45 lbs btw.

Thanks! I had done them before, but with a trainer. This time I was on my own and had a little trouble with form. My lower back is sore this morning, so I guess I did something right. I would've sworn that I wouldn't be able to walk this morning, but surprisingly my legs really aren't that sore. I guess I'll jut have to put them through more hell next time...

Squat.

I'M SOOOOOOO BLOATED!!! I don't know what the deal is. The past few days, I've felt (and looked) incredibly bloated. If anything, my diet has improved, so I'm kinda confused. Diet today was:

M1: Spiru-Tein shake with water

M2: Steel Cut Oats mixed with organic oatmeal, a 1/2 a banana and a peach

M3: Left over lentils, rice and steamed spinach

M4: Hummus w/ carrots, cucumber and grape tomatoes

M5: Hemp protein w/ water and 10 almonds

M6: Left over stuffed eggplant (eggplant, tomatoes, onions and mushrooms)

As I calculate it, I'm only at about 1,500 calories, yet I feel soooo stuffed.

What's the deal? I can't stand looking like I'm either 4 months prego or have a beer belly.

AM Workout: 25 Minutes of interval sprinting (1 min. sprints and 2 min. rest)

PM Workout: Chest, Tri's and Abs

Evidently there are two things that I could never give up no matter how much will power I display: Red wine and coffee.

I'm willing to make peace with my weaknesses, but I need to limit my wine intake.

Anyway, yesterday was a decent day. I think the bloating problem was a mixture of female issues (sorry guys) and not keeping to my smaller portions. Today, I'm really going to work on portion size and see if that makes a difference.

Yesterday's diet:

M1: Kashi GOLEAN Crunch w/ Almond milk (I had too big of a bowl because I was ravenous when I woke up.)

M2: Salad w/ lettuce, spinach, 1/2 an Avocados, tomatoes, and pumpkin seeds with a Morningstar Chik patty

M3: 1/2 a cliff bar, handful of almonds and some banana chips (not the best choice)

M4: Tofu Stir fry

I didn't take any protein supplements because today was my off day at the gym. Not that that's an excuse or anything...

The bloating was better yesterday, but still present. It seems to get worse as the day progresses and I'm beginning to think it's a soy side effect. Anyway, I did better with my portion sizes yesterday.

M1:

Spiru-Tein shake made w/ water

M2:

Cafe Au Lait w/ Chocolate soymilk

Tofu Scramble w/ Garden of Eatin whole wheat tortilla

M3: Huge salad at Jason's Deli w/ spinach, spring mix, cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, sprouts, mushrooms, almonds,dried fruit, piece of organic flat bread and balsamic vinegar

M4: Orange and 1/2 a banana...then half a granola bar halfway through my PM workout

M5: Hemp Protein shake w/ water and a little soy milk

M6: Piece of Rustic Crust Vegan Pizza (delicious!!!) with a bowl of broccoli, 2 glasses red wine

I'm still experimenting with what works best as a pre-workout meal for me, and after yesterday, I know it's not just fruit. I had to stop mid-workout and grab a granola bar from the gym cafeteria. I was pissed!!! Anyway, from now on I will make sure to eat plenty of carbs at least an hour before hitting the weights and save the fruit for after the workout.

AM Workout: 25 minutes of HIIT on the treadmill

PM Workout: Back and bi's...by the end of the workout, my arms were so swollen that I was getting some interesting looks from the guys in the gym. I'm an animal!!

Edited by sophierhymes

All I have to say is that my legs are gonna hurt tomorrow!!! Here's what I did:

Dead Lifts: 8x20+bar?? 11x30+bar 12x30+bar 9x40+bar

Leg Press: 11x145 10x145 11x145 10x145

Lying Leg Curls: 13x70 11x75 12x75 13x75

Barbell Lunges: 11x15 9x20 9x20

Calf Raises: 25x120 25x140 25x140 25x140

I also did a 40 min. spin class this AM.

Here's what I ate:

M1: Spiru-Tein w/ rice milk & water

M2: Tofu scramble on tortilla and a delicious peach

M3: Salad w/ lettuce, carrots, sprouts, avocado, and green salsa and a baked sweet potato

M4: 1/2 a cliff bar, 1/2 a soy yogurt and and apple

M5: Spiru-tein w/ water

M6: Stuffed eggplant with onions, mushrooms, tomatoes and garlic.

I wasn't really hungry for dinner so I forced myself to eat about 1/2 a portion. My diet was full of 1/2s today!!!

Affirmation for tomorrow:

Continue on the path that brings me supreme happiness!!!

I answered your PM finally. Sorry about that!

Put a protein shake on Meal 6 and that would make it your best eating day on all of the logs I saw IMHO

Feeling good today. The bloat is gone and so is the water weight!!!

M1: Green smoothie w/banana, mango, spinach, lettuce and hemp protein powder

M2: Baked sweet potato and baked regular potato with steamed veggies

M3: "pudding" w/ soy yogurt, 1/2 a cliff bar, ground flax seed and 1/2 a banana

M4: Spirutein w/ water

M5: Left over stir fry (veggies and tofu)

I really an trying to focus on just having veggies for that last meal of the day. I'd like to experiment and see if cutting out carbs later in the day makes a difference.

Workouts:

AM: 45 minutes on the step mill

PM: LEGS!! - focus on hams and glutes

OK, I'm off to the gym!!

I've had a headache for two days now. My energy level is also pretty low, which is very unusual for me. I didn't go to the gym yesterday and if this headache doesn't go away, I'm not going today either. I'm wondering if I'm fighting a virus off.

It sucks because I'm going on vacation on Wednesday, which mean almost a whole week off from the gym. I know it's good to give your body a break every once and a while, but I've become so dedicated and I'm scared that I'll lose progress. Anyway...I think a week is fine, but I can't help obsessing over it.

M1: Oatmeal w/ flax seed and banana

M2: Whole wheat pasta w/ organic tomato sauce, squash, onions, and pumkin seeds

M3:Grapes, strawberries, and soy yogurt

M4: going out to eat for boyfriend's b-day...will probably just have a salad and some steamed veggies...NO MORE CARBS ALLOWED TODAY!

I also know I didn't get enough protein, but with not working out...

I know how you feel. I am so unhappy when I can't get to the gym. This past week I had to visit family in DE, and help my brother empty his stuff from a storage unit there. I wasn't able to workout for like 4 days. It felt more like 4 weeks. When I got back to Orlando even though I was tired from the trip I had to get to the gym. It felt so normal for me to be back at my workouts and it felt so good to be back in my comfort zone. I also missed a whole week of running, and I hope I didn't backtrack on my progress of running in the heat. I don't know if I could manage a week not going to the gym, it sounds like an eternity to me! But I guess sometime taking a break can be a good thing, you'll come back to your gym and have a newfound love for your workouts.