Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fire Academy prep and food log
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:12 am 
Rabbit

Hi guys, I am new to the WFPB diet and have been on this for 2 months. I want to track diet, training, and life in preparation for the fire academy that starts in mid November.
I have been working out for 3 years.
My previous training includes calisthenics, powerlifting, and running. Before switching to WFPB I was training 5x per week on a push day/pull day split and have neglected alot of leg work for the few months prior to July start of the diet change.
Workout A:
5 sets Wall supported HSPU
3 sets elevated pike push up on parallets
3 sets ring dips/ or weighted ring push ups
5 sets hanging leg raise
5 sets pistol squat

Work out B
4 sets L-sit chin up
4 sets explosive pull ups
4 sets wide grip pull ups

I did this routine during May and June and had great progress but started to stall towards the end of June

In July I wanted to simplify and do a 3x per week full body but have really stalled out hard and have not been able to progress and get stronger like I am used to doing.

Full body workout:
4 sets assisted one arm chins
4 sets elevated piked push ups on rings with one leg up
4 sets Deadlift triples at 70%
3 sets pull ups
3 sets ring dips
4 sets standing ab wheel roll outs

3 mile run on my off days I stopped the running after the first month because the workouts were suffering.

So 2 months on my vegan diet and I am getting weaker and fatter. I am loosing my abs pretty quickly. This really kind of blows my mind and I am a bit confused as to what I need to do. This log will document my diet, training, and other lifestyle variables so I can recognize any changes I need to make and get help from you guys on the forum.

Current stats
5-11
184 lbs
approx 15% bf

Last edited by Eiji on Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Fire Academy prep and food log
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:44 pm 
Rabbit

8/27/15 80 days out

Breakfast:
24 oz smoothie: papaya, mango, raspberries, spinach, ground flaxseed, amla powder, kyo green powder

I have been feeling pretty weak lately so I am going to reset the intensity and try to get my work capacity back up.

Training:
Assisted OAC x 2,3,2,2
Elevated one leg pike ring push up(basically my whole body is in a handstand position except for one leg that is stabilized on a table) 5,5,5,5
Deadlift 295lbs/134kg x 3,3,3,3

Chins+50lbs x 5,5,5
Ring push up + 50lbs x 8,8,8

dumbbell deadlift 200lbs x 6,6,6
standing abwheel x 5,5,5

Post workout smoothie
5 dates, 2 bananas, 1/2 scoop mrm vegan protein. water

Lunch
Avocado, broccoli sprouts, hummus sandwich on Ezekiel bread
bowl of vegan chilli (I used 2 cans of black beans and 1 can of garbanzo beans and left out the cayene and jalapeno for the kids)
http://ohsheglows.com/2014/02/05/my-favourite-vegan-chili-with-homemade-sour-cream/

Dinner
Massive spinach and arugula salad with orange slices, cranberries and walnuts. Loosely based on http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/spinach-and-arugula-salad-with-orange-recipe.html
I made my own dressing, was delicious

1.5 tbsp orange zest
juice from one small lemon
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp agave nectar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
bit of sea salt
bit of black pepper

Vegan Egg plant parmesan
http://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-eggplant-parmesan/

snack
more salad and an apple

Last edited by Eiji on Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:47 pm 
Gorilla

Eiji wrote:
Hi guys, I am new to the WFPB diet and have been on this for 2 months. I want to track diet, training, and life in preparation for the fire academy that starts in mid November.
I have been working out for 3 years.
My previous training includes calisthenics, powerlifting, and running. Before switching to WFPB I was training 5x per week on a push day/pull day split and have neglected alot of leg work for the few months prior to July start of the diet change.
Workout A:
5 sets Wall supported HSPU
3 sets elevated pike push up on parallets
3 sets ring dips/ or weighted ring push ups
5 sets hanging leg raise
5 sets pistol squat

Work out B
4 sets L-sit chin up
4 sets explosive pull ups
4 sets wide grip pull ups

I did this routine during May and June and had great progress but started to stall towards the end of June

In July I wanted to simplify and do a 3x per week full body but have really stalled out hard and have not been able to progress and get stronger like I am used to doing.

Full body workout:
4 sets assisted one arm chins
4 sets elevated piked push ups on rings with one leg up
4 sets Deadlift triples at 70%
3 sets pull ups
3 sets ring dips
4 sets standing ab wheel roll outs

3 mile run on my off days I stopped the running after the first month because the workouts were suffering.

So 2 months on my vegan diet and I am getting weaker and fatter. I am loosing my abs pretty quickly. This really kind of blows my mind and I am a bit confused as to what I need to do. This log will document my diet, training, and other lifestyle variables so I can recognize any changes I need to make and get help from you guys on the forum.

Current stats
5-11
184 lbs
approx 15% bf

Hi Kiji,

You mentioned about your progress stalling, heres something to consider...

As we grow stronger and bigger, our energy output also increases proportionally, and the greater the energy output - the longer it takes for the energy reserves to replenish themselves. There must be a corresponding adjustments made to the volume and / or frequency for progress to continue.

So were 3 full body workouts per week may have been fine for the first few months, its now possible that 3 workouts is too much, perhaps only 2 workouts per week would be optimal, or stick with 3 workouts but use a split.

Best
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:37 pm 
Rabbit

Well Rob, It really feels that my work capacity has shifted down and not because I am bigger and stronger. A year ago i was 195 with 1100lb powerlifting total and could workout everyday with no issues....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:44 pm 
Rabbit

8/28/2015 79 days out

Breakfast
tofu scramble with green onions and red pepper
hash browned golden potatoes

Lunch
Sandwich with hummus, avocado, red peppers, olives, cucumber, lettuce
17 oz coconut water

Dinner
About 4 cups of vegan chili. Yum

Last edited by Eiji on Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:20 pm 
Gorilla

Eiji wrote:
Well Rob, It really feels that my work capacity has shifted down and not because I am bigger and stronger. A year ago i was 195 with 1100lb powerlifting total and could workout everyday with no issues....

So why do you think your work capacity has shifted down? You seem to be implying its the vegan diet...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:21 pm 
Rabbit

I really can't pin it on anything else right now because they only thing that is different is the diet. I am bent on making this work. I do not want to give the meat, egg, fish or dairy industry a penny more of my money.
The reason why I am logging training and diet is to iron out any kinks so I can thrive on a whole foods plant based diet. IMHO I should be able train as hard and as often as I did on my previous diet. Which would be 4-5 days per week.
I was hoping for an increase in exercise capacity and a reduction in recovery times but that has not been the case so far.
I am however open to consider that this is an issue that was going to happen regardless. Either way I am looking to optimize the vegan diet since I don't want to go back.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:00 am 
Gorilla

Are you ensuring your are getting sufficient complete protein profiles? Enough carbs to fuel? Enough food in general?

I noticed strength plateaus when consuming a lot of high protein foods like tofu, etc., yet still felt weak - until I started taking bcaas. Now I can get through my workouts fine, my strength is increased, and I'm noticing gains in the mirror.

Maybe you could put down what you consume in an entire day?

Also, I think Rob's suggestion is logical and interesting, but it's also possible for your diet to be off; despite it being proven that a vegan diet has potential to permit significant gains.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:52 pm 
Gorilla

Eiji wrote:
I really can't pin it on anything else right now because they only thing that is different is the diet. I am bent on making this work. I do not want to give the meat, egg, fish or dairy industry a penny more of my money.
The reason why I am logging training and diet is to iron out any kinks so I can thrive on a whole foods plant based diet. IMHO I should be able train as hard and as often as I did on my previous diet. Which would be 4-5 days per week.
I was hoping for an increase in exercise capacity and a reduction in recovery times but that has not been the case so far.
I am however open to consider that this is an issue that was going to happen regardless. Either way I am looking to optimize the vegan diet since I don't want to go back.

Good stuff Eiji, I was at the point twice a week up until only a couple of months ago, but whats really improved my recovery rate and productivity is pre, intra and post workout supplemention (glucose, BCAA's and creatine), am now able to train 3-5 times per week, that being said I have to manage the stress of my workout by combining high and low stress techniques.

Best of luck
Rob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:09 pm 
Rabbit

Hmmm, well...I have discontinued creatine, bcaas, and beta alanine. I was hoping to get everything I needed from plants. Maybe I will add those back in.

This is exactly what I was hoping for, some outside input. Thank you Rob and esquinchi!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:29 pm 
Rabbit

8/29/15

Breakfast: banana, mango, raspberry, oj smoothie
2 pieces of Ezekiel raisin bread toast with earth balance and cinnamon sugar. A little splurge

AM:
1 min on 1 min off jumprope for 8 rounds
20 min on the water rower. About 4400m

Lunch:
2 sandwiches- Ezekiel bread with homemade olive tapenade, hummus, avocado, broccoli sprouts, cucumbers, tomatoes, red peppers.
Afternoon snack:
Fried rice - 1.5 cup brown rice, green onions, garlic, ginger, 1/2 cup each soybeans, peas, corn
17 oz coconut water

PM: 3 scoops Amino Energy + 5 g creatine 10 min prior to start

Power clean to front squat
135x3
155x5
185x3,3,3
155x5

Ring dips
BW + 25lbs x 8
BW + 35lbs x 8,8,8

Power clean
155 x 3,3,3

Pistol Squat + 20lbs x 8,8 both sides

HLR toes to bar x 10,10,10

3 dates

2 mile jog 18:49

24 oz water and banana

Dinner:
3 cups miso soup, 1 cup brown rice, natto

Snack: 1 scoop mrm vegan protein w/ almond milk, 1/2 cup broccoli sprouts w/ sesame dressing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:10 pm 
Rabbit

8/31/15

Feeling a bit sore this morning so Im going to push out my work out till this evening to give me a few more hours of recovery time.

breakfast
Massive smoothie with banana, mangos, raspberries, amla powder, spirulina, spinach, almond milk, water....did not taste good...I usually use a bit of oj and it tastes great but i was all out this morning...

Lunch
2 cups of vegan chili with sprouted lentils, black beans, and garbanzo beans

Snack
rice n bean chips
home made granola with oats, walnuts, pecans, pumkin seeds, ground flax, dried cranberries, sweetened with banana and molasses

1-2 pm rowing
Took the kids to mission bay park and rented some paddle boards. LOL is was a bit windy and my daughter and friend got blown across the bay and I had to tow them all the way back. was a great little workout though.

hung out on the beach for another hour and got blasted with too much sun and got my VitD for the week.

Lite dinner at 5:00
fried rice with 2 cups chopped kale, 1 cup white rice, 2 tsp chili garlic sauce, tamari to taste. Super fast to make and very good. so good that I made another batch for the kids.

Preworkout 2 scoops amino energy/ 5g creatine 15 min prior
6:00-6:40
Workout: one set of each exercise in order with approx 30 sec between each set.

Assisted one arm chin with opposite hand grasping the working arm's forearm at about the middle.
R - 3,3,3,3,3,3
L - 3,3,3,3,3,3

Elevated pike push up on rings with one leg extended
BW x 7,7,6,5,6,6

Deadlift
225 x 3
275 x 3
295 x 3
315 x 3,3,3

Finisher
17 chins @ BW, 33 push-ups, and another DL triple at 315

8:00 snack
A rather large salad. Spinach and arugula tossed in a lemon dressing topped with apple, walnuts, and dried cherries.
Dressing:
Juice from 1 lemon
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large clove of garlic minced
1.5 tbsp maple syrup
Sea salt to taste

I just made up that dressing and its a keeper

1 scoop mrm vegan protein with water

You guys are the best. thank you for pointing out the bcaa/creatine issue. I think I am back.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:46 pm 
Rabbit

9/1/15

Tofu and kale scramble with hash brown potatoes.

10 min jump rope
30 min on the water rower for 6300m

More tofu and kale scramble with hash brown potatoes.

Lunch:
2 sandwiches Ezekiel bread, avocado, cucumber, broccoli sprouts, hummus

Snack: 1/4 of a large watermelon, 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, 2 apples

Dinner: chick pea shawarma wraps. Recipe from minimalistbaker.com the best vegan recipes I have found. Baked purple potatoes