Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You<script src=
It is currently Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: getting lean and defined
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:01 pm 
Rabbit

It has been a while since I have been back to this board. But I need to keep this log to hold me accountable. I am a 46 yr. old female. After my last kid 10 yrs. ago I weighed over 200 lbs. I lost 50 lbs. over the course of years. I was at 150 lbs., but have gained weight and now weigh 164 lbs. My goal is to get down to 145 lbs. I did my body fat at one point I was at 24 % and I couldn't seem to get any lower.
I worked with two vegan trainers for about 4-5 months. I gained some muscle, but then I started putting on weight( not muscle, but fat around my stomach). So I went into the doctor and found out I have hashimotos and some adrenal fatigue. That was a few months ago.
I also injured my ankle. I tried paddle boarding in too shallow of water and fell off and tore a ligament and broke a small piece of bone off. That was 7 weeks ago. I am still working on getting it healed. I am able to do the stationary bike and the elliptical, but the elliptical is bothering it a little.
So I have had some things going against me lately, but I really want to lose the rest of this weight and gain some nice defined muscles. I love to lift weights. In fact I love it a lot more than cardio, but I know I need both.
Because of adrenal issues and hashimotos, I have to be careful not to overdo it on cardio. I do 2 days a week of HIIT training on the stationary bike for 15-20 min. and then one day a week I do the elliptical, just steady state for 40 min. I do 4 days a week of weight lifting.

So my goal is to track my nutrition and my workouts and hopefully I will get where I need to be.

Today: no workout- rest day

Food:
B: 1 c. gluten free oatmeal with pumpkin, 2 tbsp. hemp seeds, pumpkin pie spice, stevia( 4 c. lemon water before)

L: homemade split pea soup with a few rice crackers, 1 leftover gluten free waffle with jam

S: green smoothie- spinach, sunwarrior protein powder, strawberries,almond butter, almond milk

D: don't know yet.

Post subject: Re: getting lean and defined
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:49 pm 
Manatee

Looks to me that you could benefit from some water fasting (48 hrs no food just water) then going to a Daniel diet for at least 30 days. No exercise while fasting and use walking during Daniel diet to let your body heal itself and be renewed.

Make no excuses to skip a training session. Feel stressed, sad, sick or tired? Go train. Your friends, your heart, mind and body will lie to you. Telling you that you need that recovery day. Go ahead, stay home. I'll be training that day and getting better no matter what.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:15 pm 
Rabbit

That is a good idea with the Daniel diet. It is hard for me not to workout. I did spend 3 weeks after I injured my ankle with no workouts whatsoever. I did okay with it and I think my body really needed that break. I love to lift weights though and I take my two teenage boys who love to lift with me. It is a nice time together.

I did back and bicep today: everything was 4 sets

Seated row- 60-70 lbs.
assisted chinups- 50-60 lbs
rope lat pull- 70-90 lbs.
upright row with curved e-z bar- 40 lbs.
lat machine- 55-60 lbs.
single arm rows- 25-35 lbs.
incline bicep curl- 15-20 lbs.
face incline chair bicep with e-z bar- 30-40 lbs.
100 crunches

Here is my food( not a good day for me, I had to get groceries, I was low on a lot of things)

B: 4 c. water, 1 c. cooked gluten free oatmeal with pumpkin, hemp seeds and stevia

post workout: half of large green smoothie- sunwarrior protein powder, spinach, strawberries, pecan butter and almond milk

L: homemade hummus with rice crackers and other half of green smoothie

S: green juice, couple of handfuls of popchips( sea salt)

D: hashbrowns, green beans, refried beans with salsa

S: if hungry more oatmeal with a banana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:46 pm 
Rabbit

I had a good workout today, just a little tired though. I realized how little trainers at the gym know anything about vegan nutrition. I watch one of the trainers there. She trains one lady who is doing a bikini competition. The lady she trains has a great body with really nice cut muscles. That is what I would like to look like. I asked the trainer if she did any nutrition for vegans. She said she didn't really know anything about vegan diets.

I did buy the Shred book and love it. I think I will go back and look more at the nutrition section and work on that.

Here is my workout today: legs( all 4 sets of 15 reps)

lying hamstring curl- 45-60 lbs.
glute leg extension- 50-60 lbs.
leg extension-100-115 lbs.
squats( no weight- holding onto chair- still working on building up my ankle- 20 reps- 4 sets)
seated leg press machine- 85-100 lbs.
side steps ups- 15 reps each side
step ups with 10 lbs. weights- 15 each leg
stationary bike- 15 min.( 30 sec. fast as possible, 1 min. recovery)

Here is my food for the day:

B: 4 c. lemon water, 1 c. cooked oatmeal with pumpkin, walnuts, stevia, pumpkin pie spice

S:( postworkout) half of large green smoothie- same recipe as yesterday

L: 1 c. of green beans mixed with 1/2 c. refried beans and salsa, 1 c. shredded hashbrowns

S: other half of green smoothie

D: sloppy joes( plant powered families recipe) - made from lentils on a gluten free bun, salad

S: either oatmeal or quinoa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:30 pm 
Rabbit

I went in and got my ankle checked and it looks like it is healing okay, it is just going to take a while for the pain and swelling to go away. He told me that he had a bad sprain like I do a while back and it took him 10 months until he was able to play basketball with no pain. I guess it is going to be a slow healing process, but at least it is healing. I also had him check my shoulder because I have been having pain in it off and on. It looks like I have an inflamed tendon in my shoulder. So he gave me some physical therapy exercises to do and told me to watch the overhead and bench press type movements until it is healed. I am glad it is nothing else. I will just have to modify my chest day a little. Unfortunately I already did chest before I went to see him today.

Here is my workout today: 4 sets 10-12 reps

Bench press: 45 lbs.- 95 lbs. ( counting the weight from the bar)
chest fly on machine- 60-80 lbs.
chest press on machine- 70-95 lbs.
pushups- 15 reps

Giant set: tricep( 4 sets of 10 reps each)

tricep kickbacks- 15 lbs.
tricep pushups
Overhead seated tricep extension: 25-30 lbs.
tricep dips

My food wasn't that great today. I was watching my grandsons( 2 yrs. old and 6 months old).

B: 4 c. lemon water, 1 c. cooked gluten free oatmeal with pumpkin, walnuts, stevia and pumpkin pie spice

S: post workout half of large green smoothie( same recipe as yesterday)

L: gluten free bun with homemade lentil sloppy joe, other half of green smoothie

D: gluten free bun with leftover lentil sloppy joe, spring mix salad with raspberry vinegrette

S: gluten free oatmeal with banana and hemp seeds

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:47 pm 
Rabbit

I am excited I just ordered Dani Taylor's " Flexible Dieting for Vegans". I need to try something different with my eating and I am excited to read it. I love learning about nutrition and health. One day I would like to do some official training in holistic nutrition.

Workout today:
5 min. warmup- 30 min. on stair stepper doing intervals

Food today:

I woke up late today. My body really needed the sleep though.

B: ( preworkout)- banana

S: post workout- half green smoothie- same as the day before

L: leftover sloppy joe lentils on a gluten free bun

S: other half of green smoothie, rice cake with almond butter

D: grain bowl- basmati brown rice, black beans, salsa, green beans, gucamole, olives

S: oatmeal with pumpkin, hemp seeds, stevia, pumpkin pie spice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:12 pm 
Rabbit

Today was shoulder day, due to my shoulder having some tendonitis, I had to modify some things so I didn't aggravate it. I did some physical therapy exercises on it yesterday and will continue to do some pt on it and not aggravate it until it heals up.

Here is my workout today: 4 sets- 10-12 reps.

alternate front and side shoulder raises-5-10 lbs.
single arm cable lateral raises- 10 lbs.
upright rows with e-zbar- 30 lbs.
cable deltoid- 20 lbs.
seated delt flys-15 lbs.

20 min. on ellitpical( 1 min. of hard fast, 1 min. steady)

Food:

B: 4 c. lemon water, 1 c. cooked oatmeal with pumpkin, pumpkin spice, stevia, walnuts

S: post workout- half of green smoothie

L: burrito bowl- brown rice, beans, guacamole, salsa, green beans

S; other half of green smoothie

D: homemade gluten free pizza with spinach, sauce, artichoke, salad

S: some sort of gluten free dessert ( it my cheat day)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:25 pm 
Rabbit

I did a 30 min. cardio on Saturday. I have been logging my food on fitness pal. I didn't eat that great this weekend. I am ready to start a new week.

Today's workout: 4 sets of 10-12 reps

seated row- 60-80 lbs
assisted chinup machine- 60lbs.
cable delt flies- 30 lbs.
delt rope pull- 70-90 lbs.
upright row with ez bar- 30 lbs.
single arm DB row- 25-35 lbs.
incline chair bicep curl- 30-40 lbs. with ez bar
incline bicep curl 15-20 lbs.
ab crunches- 100 reps

Food:

B: 4 c. lemon water, 1 c. cooked oatmeal with pumpkin, walnuts, stevia

S: green smoothie( same as last week)- half of large

L: leftover homemade tomato soup( Oh She Glows) with 1/2 c. roasted chickpeas

S: other half of large green smoothie

D: fried rice with veggies and tofu

S: quinoa or banana ice cream

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:34 pm 
Rabbit

Yesterday was a crazy busy day. I didn't get a chance to post. I calculated my macros yesterday and decided to log them into my fitness pal. So for a while I will be doing that. I think that will really help. I tracked my calories for 4 days just to see how much I was eating. I was shocked. Most days were 2200-2300 calories. Leg day was 2500 calories( I usually am more hungry on leg days). So I cut my calories down to 1800 and figured out my macros. So I am going to eat according to my macros. Hopefully doing this I will lose some weight before my daughters wedding in November.

I did chest/triceps today( I am still taking care of that shoulder so weights for chest were pretty light)
4x10 reps

bench press- just the bar
cable chest fly- kept it light- can't remember
pushups- 4x12
chest press machine-50-65 lbs.

tricep giant set 4x10

Overhead tricep extension seated- 30 lbs.
tricep dips
tricep pushups
tricep kickbacks-15 lbs.

ball crunches- 4x25
reverse ab crunches-4x25

Food for today:

B: 4 c. lemon water, 1 c. cooked oatmeal with pumpkin, walnuts, stevia, pumpkin pie spice

S: green smoothie- 1 tbsp. almond butter, 2.5 c. spinach, 1 scoop sunwarrior protein powder,1 c. almond milk, 1/2 c. frozen strawberries

L: 1 c. basmati brown rice with veggie( like fried rice) with 1 c. cooked tofu with tamari sauce

S: green smoothie- same as above

D: planning on southwest quinoa salad- quinoa, black beans and veggies

S: orgain chocolate protein powder in almond milk, 1 apple

Don't know on dinner and the final snack how my macros are going to look, but we will see. My first time doing this. It is all new to me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:52 pm 
Rabbit

I did ok on my eating yesterday. I did go over by 33 carbs. I think it is going to take a little to tweak it. Then I woke up at 3 am to go to the bathroom and was hungry so I had a almond butter and jelly sandwich. I really want to lose this weight. Just a little confused about how to do these macros and make it work for me. I am used to eating a lot more carbs.

Workout today: I did a body combat class. I got a good workout, but my ankle is still not where I want it to be. There were a lot of things I just couldn't do yet( side to side stuff especially).

Food: ( this is my plan, but I will tweak it if need be)

B: 1 c. cooked oatmeal with 2 tbsp. hemp seed, pumpkin and stevia- 4 c. lemon water before that

S: green smoothie- same as yesterday

L: tofu with 1/2 c. brown rice and green beans

D: planning on making mac-nificent baked mac and cheese from Plant powered families- don't know if this will fit into my eating or not, salad

S: orgain chocolate protein powder in milk, maybe an apple

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:06 pm 
Rabbit

I messed around with my macros last night on Fitness Pal. I have the book " Shredded" and I love it. I got to looking back in it on macros and saw how other people didn't have a ton of protein and still got shredded. I tried high protein and not a lot of carbs, but found I was feeling deprived and hungry all the time. I feel better and more satisfied when I am eating more carbs. I found myself getting up in the middle of the night hungry and eating. So I changed things up. Today is going to be the first full day eating this way, we will see how it goes.

Here is the the breakdown:

carbs: 240 g
Fat: 45 g
protein: 110 g
calories- 1805

We will see how it goes,although usually on Friday nights I have a cheat meal.

My workout today: shoulders- still going lighter and avoiding overhead lifts to heal shoulder

lateral shoulder raises- 2 sets warmup( 5 lbs.) 2 sets drop sets( 15, 10 lbs.)
upright row with e-z bar- 4x15 reps- 30 lbs.
single arm cable lateral raise- 10-20 lbs. 4x10 reps
cable reverse delt fly- 4x10-12 reps- 20-30 lbs.
incline delt fly- 4x10 reps- 15-20 lbs.

elliptical- 20 min. 1 min. fast, 1 min. steady

Food:

B: 4 c. lemon water, 1 c. cooked oatmeal with pumpkin and 2 tbsp. hemp seed

S: green smoothie - same as yesterday

L: leftover mac and cheeze- plant powered families- 1 c.

S: green smoothie- same

D: veggie dog with gluten free bun, green beans or salad

S: almond flour chocolate chip cookies( cheat dessert)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:21 pm 
Manatee

Hey Kathy,

I noticed you were doing upright rows. I have read that they can be an issue for some people.

Google upright row bad for your shoulders, and you'll see.

Also Google the Starr protocol for injury recovery. You may want to reintroduce the overhead movements very light for sets of 25. If you have the rom it could be worth it for joint circulation. Blood flow promotes the healing process.

Make no excuses to skip a training session. Feel stressed, sad, sick or tired? Go train. Your friends, your heart, mind and body will lie to you. Telling you that you need that recovery day. Go ahead, stay home. I'll be training that day and getting better no matter what.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:41 pm 
Elephant

Have to second Eiji on the upright rows. If you are doing them with fairly light weight, and not for volume, I suppose they wouldn't be an issue; but what's to gain, really?

At one point (ignorantly) I was doing them fairly regularly, and got up to the 80lb range for 12-15 reps. Ended up injuring my right shoulder (probably mid-front delt area), which took me out of training shoulders for pretty much an entire year. So many other ways of training shoulders, not sure upright rows are worth the risk. FWIW.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:31 pm 
Rabbit

Thank so much for the advice. I do start a new 4 wk. workout next week, that doesn't have upright rows in it. I am going to cut those out. I have been doing some physical therapy exercises for my shoulder and it has a lot of band work. I think I will try doing some overhead work this week, but light and more reps. Thanks again.

Today's workout was a cardio:
10 min. elliptical
30 min. stair stepper 3 min. steady 2 min. at a higher level
Then I sat in the massage chair. It felt so good.

My eating has not been all that great today. I need to get back to eating healthy and not vegan junk food. I just feel better and have better energy.

Food:
B: 4 c. lemon water, 1 c. cooked oatmeal with pumpkin and 2 tbsp. hemp seed

L: 1 1/2 smart dogs with 2 gluten free hot dog buns, a few potato chips( horrible, I know)

S: green smoothie

D: don't know for sure- I need something healthy

s: protein shake, apple

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:28 pm 
Elephant

I just read your other post about shoulder tendinitis! Too funny.

If you want a badass shoulder exercise, maybe try Arnold Press. Those always kill me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next