a new start

Had shoes professionally fit today, then jogged 1 ml. on a cinder track in aprox 14 minutes.

Haven't run since 6 weeks ago, when I hurt my shin, causing a limp, which hurt my knee. I recovered using accupuncture, a Chinese herbal formula, chiropractic and RICE (Rest Ice Compression Elevation) I'd been running for 2 weeks after many years of not running.

I'm over 5'10", over 210# and over 45" at my waist's relaxed equator! My ayurvedic constitution is Kapha-pita (123) I do a lot of heavy lifting during warehouse work for the charity I founded.

Today I ate ww bread w/margarine, strong black tea with fresh ginger, rice milk and unsweetened soy milk. Later, after running, I ate a pound of tofu fried in sesame oil with onions, garlic and hot pepper. I added Braggs and yeast. My supplements were a dose of psylium husk and a natures plus multi w/min.

My goal is to reduce salt, oil, caffeine, starch, and late night meals and to increase pepper, fruits & vegetables, both raw and cooked. I eat no white sugar or any sweets. I will again eliminate the little white flour I eat.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did my first full yoga session in many years today, trying about a dozen postures and teaching my 12 yo daughter, too. Who'd have thought it would be more challenging than 25 years and 50 pounds ago? I have zero ill effect from yesterday's run, except it was hard not to run again last night or today! I plan to integrate some weight training along with my yoga and running, and have the goal of doing one of the three each day, but not doing any one of them two days in a row, allowing for rest from each.

Yesterdays food finished with miso soup with brown rice and spinach and then pistacios. Today I had oatmeal with real maple syrup and cinnamon, and garden fresh salad & o/v. I'm going to have some gimme lean sausage for dinner.

I feel really good.

Jogged further and faster today, 1 1/4 mls in just over 15 mins. I broke a sweat and breathed heavy, but didn't over do it. I'm driving a mile to a track until I'm confident I'm not going to get injured again. I enjoy concentrating on the run and not having to watch for cars, pot holes, etc. Most especially I' want to try and stay off the hard surfaces for a while.

Today I had oatmeal and banana for breakfast, a falafel sandwich for lunch and brown rice & pinto beans w/ spinach for dinner. Additionally I had my multi vitamin, psylium and a couple pints of unsweetened vegan chai.

I'm a little tired, but in a good way. I was feeling some memory of yesterdays yoga session earlier today.

May all beings be peaceful. May all beings be happy. May all beings be free.

My only exercise today was breaking a sweat putting away a few pallets of food using a hand truck.

Breakfast was gimme lean sausage, lunch pb & vegan cheese on ww. Cherry-apple juice this afternoon, chai morning and evening, psylium, multi. Dinner was 9 corn tortilla tacos with beans & rice, salsa and vegan cheese. Now I'm going to have a banana cocoa rice milk smoothy.

Tomorrow is a run day. Yea!

My only exercise today was breaking a sweat putting away a few pallets of food using a hand truck.

Last time I checked, palettes can weigh upwards of 1000lbs; that's still exercise!

Keep up the good work.

Yeah, I used to do that at my old job. They can be pretty demanding.

Still sweating profusely from my 1.5 ml jog in the mid day sun with high humidity. I've heard every pound of fat has a mile of capillaries. I guess for now my heart's pumping an extra 50 miles!

Had tortilla chips and salsa after my late night smoothy yesterday. Had a little puffed wheat with half a banana and a sip of rice milk, followed by pb & vegan cheese on ww and chai for breakfast. Had 1 banana, some unsweetened soy milk and pb smoothy for lunch. For dinner I plan to have brown rice and a pound of fried tofu,w/braggs & yeast. Of course I'll have more chai, but first I'm going to chug some psylium in water.

BTW some pallets of cased cans can weigh over 1500#. Last month I loaded our van, then unloaded, hand trucked and stacked, 5,000# of cans in letter carrier cases from the post office food drive in about 2 hours. That's my idea of fun!

Seems like it's going well. Thanks for reading.

Why did the Bodhisatva cross the road?

(to see the chicken safely to the other side!)

What kind of jokes do vegans like?

(corny)

Sweating it here at my ghetto chateau with no a.c.!

Finished consuming with kidney beans, a beer, tortilla chips and salsa last night. Today I ate pb vegan cheese on ww, chai, avocado/lettuce/red onion/nayonaise on ww, tortilla chips and mashed avo w/lemon juice and garlic powder. Now I'm going to have a banana/blueberry/unsweetened soy milk smoothy.

peace!

My run left me happy this morning. I increased to 7 laps, or 1 3/4 mls I believe, in about 22 minutes.

Last night I had cherry/apple juice for my late night snack. This morning I had a banana/strawberry unsweetened soymilk smoothy to get ready for the jog. After my shower I'm going to have some scrambled tofu with tumeric, black pepper, yeast, Braggs and garlic powder. I'll have chai and some ww toast w margarine, too.

My appetite seems to be growing, which is from an increasing metabolism, one of my main goals. Running seems to trip a switch that allows me the impulse control to limit my caloric intake, also. Week 2 seems off to a good start.

Running seems to trip a switch that allows me the impulse control to limit my caloric intake, also.

I find this too! But with any intense cardio. I started my day with a game of squash and for the rest of the day resisted the most tempting nonvegan treats with no problem.

Good job with your running!!! Pretty soon the 1mile to the track will be your warm up. Years ago I took a running class, learned to run, it's so much fun.

Last night I had green olives.

2 mls took around 26 minutes today.

I had a smoothy w/ pb, banana, acai Amazon berry super antioxidant juice blend and my multi before hand. Now I'm drinking more of the acai blend. Next I'm going to have chai, scrambled tofu and toast w/margarine.

It's another scorching hot day here and during my jog I kept flashing back to 20 years ago, when I spent the Winter in Miami and felt I wasn't satisfied with my 31" waist and my 7 ml runs. I did Nautilas 3 times a week then as well! To quote Dylan: "Oh and I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."

Was off line for a couple of nights as my daughter and I went camping. Yesterday we had a 2 & 1/2 hours of open water canoe paddling. My shoulders were sore and I got a few spots of sunburn, in spite of generous SPF.

So that I wouldn't aggravate the sunburns on my knees and ankles I wore heavy black sweats on my 2 mile run just now. The sweat pants, the 92f blazing Sun ( I'm allergic), paddling rather than running yesterday, forgetting lunch today and shaving a minute off, down to 25, made the 8 laps seem grueling.

Trying to remember what I ate in the last few days taxes this old hippy's brain. Pb on ww, black bean soup, lentil soup, tortilla chips, salsa, oj, cashews, raw almonds, ryekrisp, chai, psylium, lettuce, pickled beets and other pickled vegies (Amish country) Quantities are not mentioned in my food journaling, but I try and be moderate, or at least not gluttonous. I'm going to have a banana, blueberry, chocolate soy smoothy now and fried tofu after a little while.

Finally put some plates and bars together. Just played around for a few minutes.

bench 10 x 100

incline 3 x 100

squats 10 x 100

alt curls 20 x 25

alt rev curls 20 x 25

alt shrugs 20 x 25

Body said: " I remember this."

Rotators still seem delicate from bench machine 5 yrs ago.

Had cashews and fried plantain late last night.

Ate pb/ww, psylium, multi, strawberry-banana-pb-choc-soy&rice milk smoothy, emergenC, cherry-apple juice earlier today. Planning steamed tofu and cauliflower with brown rice, and a lettuce mung sprout salad w o/v for dinner. Chai, about 2 pints a day, includes 1/4 rice and or unsweetened soy milk, sometimes green cardamon, sometimes fresh grated ginger, always a heaping spoon of black Assam tea per pint. It's been in the 90s and I've been loving drinking more water.

Added strides to the final stretch of my 2 miles this morning. That was fun! I'll add them earlier next time. Still took 25 minutes. Felt strong the whole jog, after the first lap warmed me up. It's nice and cool, relative to the last few days, though humid, and the track was soaked in places.

Had cashews and green olives for my snack last night. This morn a tiny bit of oatmeal w/maple and marg, chai, multi. Now I'll have psylium, chai and pb/ww for "brunch." Drinking much water.

That's 7 runs in 2 weeks again, the point at which I first injured my self two months ago. Still have a small bump on the shin, but no added sensitivity there. Ached a tiny bit last night after yesterdays 1st lift, but almost none now.

Had an incredible Thai yoga massage this morning. I miss Thailand!

Had 1/2 a stout beer and ryekrisp w/pb late last night, oatmeal w/ cinamon and margarine for breakfast, a juice box, pb on ww w/salsa&chips for a late lunch. Chai, psylium and a multi of course.

2 miles took a little less time today, around 24 mins. Did some strides a little earlier on, which sure made it harder to finish. I'm feeling kind of off after my run today, and feel dizzy.

Had fried potatoes for dinner and some guacamole and chips for a snack yesterday. Today I had a banana/pb/ricemilk smoothy and chai prerun then oatmeal, psylium and the multi. For lunch I had brown rice and garbonzos. Now I'm going to have guacamole and chips.

Breakfast was oatmeal w/cin/marg, tea. Lunch was falafel, pita, pickled turnip, tahini, lemon juice, red rooster hot sauce. Home grown salad at my Mom's 92 bd party. PB/banana/ww, tortilla chips for late dinner.

2 mls in under 23 min today!

Oatmeal w/cin/marg/banana, tea, psylium, multi for breakfast. Falafel sandwich lunch. Cherry-apple/pb/banana smoothy an hour before run. Planning on tea and chips, avo on ww, w/lettuce and nayonaise next.

Last night boiled soybeans (frozen), banana/pb. Today oatmeal w/marg/banana/cin, tea. Lunch was guac and chips, dinner was fried cauliflower and mung sprouts. Less tea/caffeine the last couple days. I need soy or rice milk to make palatable the very strong tea I prefer and I've had none in the house for a couple of days.

19 minutes?! I must have skipped a lap. I can't believe I did 2mls that much quicker and guess it was 1.75. Though, I paced much faster than usual and tried to do some strides but was only able to run slightly faster for a short distance a few times and then slowed to a walk for a moment. I felt like barfing afterwards.

Oatmeal for breakfast w/marg/cin/ban. A few chips, another banana and some cherry-apple juice was all I had since then. Boiled frozen soy beans, steamed broccoli, brown rice and salad is what I plan on eating for the rest of the day. My caffeine/tea consumption is low.

First real gorge/glut in weeks last night. Several portions of hash browns from the George Foreman grill with salsa. I'd eaten less than 1,000 calories earlier in the day, but the potatoes were more than that. Today I had pb/ww/ban breakfast with psylium and the multi. For lunch I'm enjoying guac and chips. I'm going outside to pick cherries next!