Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:06 am 
Elephant

I'm Your Man, that's great man. I'm glad reading this blog gave you the itch to do something similar. You will feel great immediately and it will only get better, at least that's the way it has been working out for me. I look forward to hearing all about it! :D

Hey VeganDude,

I am getting my day started bf work and I thank you for those links. I read the first one briefly and I will read through the other ones as soon as I can possibly tonight or tomorrow. I still feel they're beneficial and that is one out of the many other healing centers that have changed people's lives. Granted, they're expensive but your life is one of a kind and irreplaceable. I know there is much controversy on the subjects but for me they feel right. I will look further into all materials and thank you for your concern....

Saturday, June 14th DAY FOURTEEN

Morning Weight: 194lbs (I finally found a number to stabilize at, thank
goodness, i'll restrict when i want to drop more)
Bodyfat: 11%

Performed 2 bag enema flush

Today's Intake
-116 grams spirulina/chlorella blend in 42oz water
-50oz organic fruit juice blend (9 organic bananas)
-42oz organic fruit juice blend (2 young thai coconuts, 2 cups frozen wild
blueberries, 1/2 organic lime)
-75oz organic vegetable juice blend (organic watercress, organic chards,
organic cilantro, organic lacinto kale, organic dandelions, 2 organic green
apples, 1 organic lemon, 1 organic lemon)

Worked pretty hard, wouldn't be surprised if I lost a lb on the scale when i wake up to weight myself later this afternoon (just got home from a 21hr shift, haven't slept yet).....

Joelk wrote:
But as long as people stay away from our cooler bags with our meals and not ask silly questions, we're all pretty tame

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:07 pm 
Elephant

If hope someone is reading this and perhaps has an idea as to what may be going on. If not, maybe i'll start a thread about it. About a week ago people started telling me I smelt like pot. Last night, 6 different people accused me of smoking pot and said i reeked. I finally figured out it was my breath. They said it is so unmistakably similar to the smell of pot that it is uncanny. What is it about my juice feast that could be causing that?

The only thing I can think of but it doesn't make any sense, it ketosis. Ketosis would cause foul breath but it is when someone consumes nothing but protein for that to happen, no? I am consuming a balanced diet of all macronutrients without one overshadowing the other. Or perhaps it comes from consuming very little as well but i am averaging around 3000+ calories a day!

I'm very confused and a tad bit freaked out. I don't want everyone to think I am some sort of a 24/7 stoner (mainly b/c i don't smoke). What is going on, any thoughts????????? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

Sunday June 15th, DAY FIFTEEN

Morning Weight: 193lbs (-1lb)
Bodyfat: 10% (-1%)
<-- this makes sense b/c I have been
losing alot of fat around my midsection, very noticeably and I keep
measuring my waistline (I actually am starting to have one now) and
taking notice that it continues to get smaller :wohoo:

Today's Intake

-24oz Organic Vegetable JUICE (organic watercress, organic ginger,
organic dandelions, organic swiss chards, organic burdock root, organic
sunchoke, organic lacinto kale, organic cilantro, organic celery, organic
bok choy) I'm telling you, without the ginger, juices are CRAP! Love the
ginger

The greens that were just juiced, they posses me
Image :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

-40oz organic juice blend (5 organic bananas)
-Another 26oz organic vegetable juice made in the juicer; similar makeup
as the first one.
-40oz organic fruit juice blend (My baby organic watermelon!!! It only had one seed in it, weird but i suppose one is better than none :roll: )
-70oz organic fruit juice (5 organic oranges, 1 organic grapefruit)

I gave my body some sort of a rest today from the high calorie coconuts and durians. I have been feeding my body far more than it has been craving so I decided to listen and rest for a day on that. Also b/c this week if I do what I intend on exercise wise (cycling trip + cardio), I will be needing alot of calories and will have to take in ALOT

Joelk wrote:
But as long as people stay away from our cooler bags with our meals and not ask silly questions, we're all pretty tame

Last edited by Lean and Green on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:33 pm 
Gorilla

hum, no idea what's going on with the smell. i hope you can figure it out and then illuminate us with what happened.
i just couldn't wait anymore and went to buy fruit and stuff to start my feast tomorrow :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:50 pm 
Manatee

Look at this site and see if any of the suggestions help

http://www.ehow.com/how_2078480_treat-k ... reath.html

Also this site does say that a juice fast can cause bad breath. :(

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/detoxcl ... asting.htm

I hope you find your answer soon. And if you happen to see a police officer turn and walk the other direction. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:25 pm 
Rabbit

Lean and Green wrote:
If hope someone is reading this and perhaps has an idea as to what may be going on. If not, maybe i'll start a thread about it. About a week ago people started telling me I smelt like pot. Last night, 6 different people accused me of smoking pot and said i reeked. I finally figured out it was my breath. They said it is so unmistakably similar to the smell of pot that it is uncanny. What is it about my juice feast that could be causing that?

The only thing I can think of but it doesn't make any sense, it ketosis. Ketosis would cause foul breath but it is when someone consumes nothing but protein for that to happen, no? I am consuming a balanced diet of all macronutrients without one overshadowing the other. Or perhaps it comes from consuming very little as well but i am averaging around 3000+ calories a day!

I'm very confused and a tad bit freaked out. I don't want everyone to think I am some sort of a 24/7 stoner (mainly b/c i don't smoke). What is going on, any thoughts????????? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

Sunday June 15th, DAY FIFTEEN

Morning Weight: 193lbs (-1lb)
Bodyfat: 10% (-1%)
<-- this makes sense b/c I have been
losing alot of fat around my midsection, very noticeably and I keep
measuring my waistline (I actually am starting to have one now) and
taking notice that it continues to get smaller :wohoo:

Today's Intake

-24oz Organic Vegetable JUICE (organic watercress, organic ginger,
organic dandelions, organic swiss chards, organic burdock root, organic
sunchoke, organic lacinto kale, organic cilantro, organic celery, organic
bok choy) I'm telling you, without the ginger, juices are CRAP! Love the
ginger

The green is just juiced, they posses me
Image :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

-40oz organic juice blend (5 organic bananas)

Ketons are used for energy when one doesn't eat carbs ( you can enter ketosis eating as little as 50g of carbs). Not your case though.

More on ketosis here:

Bodyopus Diet and Ketosis

I was rummaging through some old MM2k issues from 1996 and came across one of Dan Duchaine’s Guru columns about the BodyOpus diet and using Ketostix to determine if you’re going into ketosis. I know the BodyOpus diet is similar to the T-Dawg diet as far as restricting carbs, but what's your take on this diet and using the Ketostix?

GySgt R. Puentes

USMC

It’s not a bad plan for a competitive bodybuilder but it’s a bit extreme for an average guy just wanting to look good nekkid. As with most low carb diets (or at least the extreme ones), you can’t keep this ripped condition for long and certainly can’t build muscle on such a plan, at least naturally. The T-Dawg Diet is pretty easy and forgiving compared to BodyOpus.

As for the little piss sticks, most experts these days agree that they’re overrated as a dieting tool. In many cases, you can be in ketosis and the sticks will show that you’re not. It’s just not as cut and dried as once believed.

There’s a lot of confusion about keto diets with some authors preferring to stay at 20 grams of carbs or below per day to hit ketosis and others saying that anything under 100 grams a day will put you in ketosis no matter what color the Ketostix turn. And then there’s the ultimate question: do you really need to be in ketosis in the first place?

We’ve asked John Berardi to address these issues in an upcoming "Appetite for Construction" column. Look for it in the near future.

And here is the Appetite for Construction:
http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=461087

No idea what the smell could be. Maybe you're getting rid of some toxins. How does it taste?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:35 pm 
Elephant

from what I know, the simple fact of losing weight -- and you are -- is enough to have bad breath. I thought you knew all the symptoms of detox ? Basically, it's about the same symptoms that a person can feel when intoxicating herself -- getting in bad toxins into the body and flowing in the blood can give headaches just like getting the toxins out of the body. The fat is burning and melting, with everything that was in it, it leaves by urine, sweat, ass, in the breath and from everywhere.
You can try to wash your mouth with liquid concentrate chlorophyll, and, even better, drink some everyday as an internal deodorant; I guess it's better if it's in the morning on empty stomach but I guess you can put some in your green smoothies too-- that's what I will do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:50 pm 
Gorilla

I'm Your Man wrote:
You can try to wash your mouth with liquid concentrate chlorophyll

Where can I find that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:55 pm 
Elephant

I found it in a health food store. Mine is a bottle of 500ml for 10 bucks and it lasts long, since you only need to use a few tablespoons each time. Ingredients are : pure water, and concentrated chlorophyll from alfalfa. It's unflavoured and green, there's some that are mint flavoured.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:31 pm 
Elephant

Thank you kindly both Amy and Raw Tennis for the articles and information you both sent to me. The whole ketosis thing is just like I thought and obviously is not my issue. As far as that type of diet goes Raw Tennis, pre comp, it's not a bad idea and come mid-late fall when I intend on such a thing, I will most likely be sticking to something similar. Helps to dehydrate as well (bbing comps)

I'm Your Man, yeh I know of the detox symptoms and I expected bad breath but the whole having it smell like 'pot' really bugged me out, that's all. I've had the bad breath before when cleansing and fasting but no one ever came up to me and told me my breath smelled like marijuana, was just weird, that's all.

As far as the liquid chlorophyll goes, the algaes contain more chlorophyll than anything else on this planet, what's wrong with getting it straight from them? I have heard of those supplements before but I didn't buy into them. Just didn't sound right to me. I'm not really into extracts.

I'm Your Man and Lena, that is amazing news that you are both starting this week, this is gonna be so cool. You're gonna feel out of this world. We're gonna have like one big happy juice feasting community all over the blogs! I can't wait to read about how you both fare.

Joelk wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:37 pm 
Gorilla

my body oder when i work out or sweat smells like pot as well but usually only if i have eaten alot of processed or fried foods, drank beer, or had the occasional cigarettes. but my breath never smells of pot. even if i smoked pot.

before and after accountability photos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:20 am 
Elephant

yeh phillipeb, that's what people were telling me that even if they smoked, their breath didn't smell like it. Okay, i'm over it at the moment before this thread goes to pot!

Back to the feast....

Tomorrow I w/b taking progress pictures, as I finished my 50 day workout and am going to test my 1rm. My left right shoulder has taken a bit of a beating from all the aggressive training so I need to lighten up after this as it's a little sore in a bad way. It usually happens when I go very heavy for a long period of time and goes away when i stop fairly quickly. Point is, i'm excited to see and display my progres this time around as bf loss comes into play as well as lbm increase :D
Forgot to mention that ever since I began feasting, from day one, I have been sleeping MUCH better and falling asleep and waking up naturally and with the need for at least 2hrs less of sleep each night, feeling fully refreshed and alive when I arise. ALSO, extremely lucid dreams almost every single night and it's like my body goes into dream land when i lay down before i even shut down. It's weird, I like 'hear' my dreams before I fall asleep. Loud inner noise that comes from nowhere and then I conk out and it feels like i've slept 24hrs when i wake up without that oversleeping feeling. I looked up others on the juice feast on other blogs and sites to find out that many experience the exact same thing COOL! 8) 8)

Monday, June 16th, Day SIXTEEN

Morning Weight: 194lbs
Bodyfat: 12%

These figures are off, probably b/c I consumed alot right before I went to bed but I hadn't taken in much during the day so I wanted to get a big blend in before I went to sleep. I felt heavy and full when I woke up. The bf is def off as I have much less now than when i started out. The figures usually level themselves out over a couple of days...

Today's Intake
-64oz organic fruit juice blend (6 organic bananas)
-464 grams of spirulina/chlorella blend in 150oz water; that's OVER A LB OF ALGAE! :wohoo:
-2 1/2 shots of fresh wheatgrass juice from 'Pure Food and Wine' juice bar. Who said you
can't dine out on a juice feast? ;)
-24oz fruit juice blend (1 young thai coconut, 1/4 organic lime, 1 cup frozen wild blueberries)
-44oz organic juice blend (1 whole baby organic watermelon)

[b]Bought Today[/u]
Was out of greens and some other stuff, went to town....
-Organic Peppermint and Spearmint direct from the nyc farmer's market.
-Organic Burdock Root
-Organic Purple Kale
-Organic Dandelion Greens
-Organic Celery
-Organic Collard Greens
-Organic Red Swiss Chard
-Organic Watercress
-Organic Lemons
-Organic baby plums (i'm going to dehydrated them to make the prunes I will eat in portland
on July 16th to break the fast. They looked soooo good.
-Organic Canteloupe
-Organic Quinoa for rejuvelac

I feel like i'm forgetting to list something but the produce is in the fridge and not by where I am right now. I'll add to the list if anything.

The strawberries in nyc farmer's market look phenomenal and were in abundance but they were all sprayed so i opted not to get any and stick to my frozen organic ones from Trader Joes.

Dani, in case you were curious, the bill came out to $43.26 for everything.

Joelk wrote:

Post subject: Re: June is for JuiceFeasting!(1 1/2 mo of juicing)31pics added
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:34 am 
Elephant

Tuesday June 17th, DAY SEVENTEEN ( i think I just keep spelling out the days because I feel it's more dramatic! ;) )

Today marks a huge day for me in many ways. For one, I have never ever gone more than 17 days without solid food in my entire lifetime, so as of tomorrow, this will be the longest fast/feast!!!! Secondly, I go for 285lb bp and if I get it up, it will mean I have successfully increased my 1rm bench press from 235lb to 285lb (+50) in 50 days, all whilst losing ALOT of bf thanks to this feast in particular...

Morning Weight: 194lbs
Bodyfat: 11%

-Performed 2 bag enema flush.

Today's Intake
-72oz organic vegetable juice blend (organic watercress, organic lemon, 2 organic green
apples, 1 conventional avocado, organic dandelions, organic spearmint, organic peppermint,
organic collards) due to the mints, this was the best smelling and most flavorful one yet.
Several people tried it at work and loved it!
-16oz fruit juice blend (1 cup frozen durian)
-27oz organic juice blend made in the greenstar (organic watercress, organic dandelions,
organic collards, organic burdock root, organic celery)
-174 grams of algae in 32oz water :shock: packed alot in a little water, hardcore, so hardcore!
-32oz fruit juice blend (1 young thai coconut, 1/2 organic lime, 2 1/2 cups wild frozen
blueberries)
-24oz organic fruit juice blend (2 organic grapefruits, 2 organic oranges)

I also find it truly amazing that I have been feeling way fuller than I ever have on a completely liquid/ fruit and veg juice diet as well as having absolute appetite control and not craving excess calories.......

Joelk wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:11 am 
Gorilla

43.26 huh? thats really cheap for everything youjust said. see, i dunno if it's my location or what, but i cannot afford for all of my produce to be organic, and you are dfinately comsuming more of it that i would. thats a pretty sweet deal for you.

i cannot WAIT to see these pictures. hurry up! :D
how'd you do with your bench? 50lb in 50 days? thats pretty amazing. i should try to set a goal like that. a-freaking-mazing all around. keep it up!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:24 am 
Elephant

I agree with thendanisays, I can't afford neither to buy only organic foods. I do it for the ones that are about the same price than the non-organic, or up to maybe 30% more... but there's some organic fruits and greens that are way too expensive, like apples, celery, broccoli... or maybe it's just that the non-organic are very cheap!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:07 am 
Elephant

I think this is something really odd but really interesting. I'm really eager to see the results because if this works great, I'll try something similar when I go to a cutting phase.

It seems like you're having a great time and losing weight at a superb rate. You should be a nutritionist for overweight people or something!

I run a vegan food webstore and retail store chain in Finland. Please check http://www.vegetukku.fi for more information (sry, only in Finnish)!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next