Courtney's Food Journal and Fitness Log

I need a place to keep myself accountable for what I eat and what I do. So here's my food journal and fitness log. Oh, and I am going to weigh in weekly to see how my progress is doing. Weigh in day will be every Monday morning.

Monday, June 2, 2008

Highest Weight Ever: 263

Goal Weight: 135

Starting Weight: 237.4

Breakfast: bagel with vegan cream cheese and strawberry preserves, soy milk

Lunch: one Gardenburger "chicken" sandwich with Tofutti american soy cheese slice, veganaise, mustard, and hot sauce and one cup of steamed broccoli with Earth Balance buttery spread

Dinner: spaghetti with marinara sauce and mushrooms

Ounces of Water Today: 64 oz.

My mini food goal for the week is to not drink any sodas at all! Nope, no more Liquid Satan for me!

Exercise: 1 hour 30 min. of Wii Sports (Man, that boxing is a decent beginner workout for the arms!!!!), 1 hour 30 mins. kayaking and walking with a friend

I am also going to have my husband take some pictures so I can post progress pics on a weekly basis.

Edited by VeganGirl2006

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really does help to post what you eat. I know I don't eat as well I should. But I end up doing better when I know people will be able to read about what I've been eating. Good luck on giving up soda, I haven't quite kicked the liquid satan habit yet! I just heard on the Today show that if people cut out sodas,and other sugary drinks that it can equal up to like 9 cups of sugar in a week,maybe it was two weeks but that's still a lot of sugar.

Giving up soda is a tough one for me too, that's for sure! Being allergic to caffeine, I drink a lot of things like Sprite and decaf Mountain Dew. I must cut those out in order to lose this weight and get healthy.

Reading about Liquid Satan in "Skinny Bitch" made me realize how bad for me the stuff really is. I can't keep that stuff in my daily food intake and meet my goals. Even diet soda is bad for people. And diet soda tastes like crap to me anyway. The fake sweeteners in it leave a terrible aftertaste. Yuck!

I remeber a personal trainer telling me once he had a rusty penny and he poured soda onto it, and it ended up as shiny as new. If soda/acid can rinse off the rust on a penny I don't even want to know what it's doing to our insides. Definitely a good idea to get rid of this bad habit.

One of my friends bought a kayak last week and he invited me to go down to the lake and kayak. I've never been kayaking before so I thought it would be fun. We headed down to the lake just a couple of miles from my house. Holy cow that is fun!!!!! The hard part is getting in and out of the kayak. In fact, my butt met the lake the first time I got out of it! I'm glad the water was fairly warm! That can give a pretty good upper arm workout!

The lake has a walking track around it so one of us would walk the track and the other would kayak. Then we'd switch places. I got in some fun exercise and hung out with my friend at the same time! Can't beat that!

Tuesday June 3, 2008

Lunch: 2 veggie burgers, a couple of cookies, Gatorade

Dinner: veggie burger, a couple of cookies

Ounces of Water: 32 oz.

Exercise: none. I was a slacker!

It's raining outside today so any exercise done will have to be indoors. My arms are sore from kayaking yesterday!

Wednesday June 4, 2008

Lunch: corn chips with salsa and guacamole, a couple of cookies

Dinner: spaghetti with homemade marinara sauce with mushrooms

Ounces of water: 48 oz.

Exercise: 2 hours kayaking, biking, and walking

I didn't have the best eating habits yesterday. Couldn't keep my hand out of the damn cookie jar. Let's try to do better today. My friend and I are going to go kayaking and biking today.

Edited by VeganGirl2006

That is true. I have to get to the store, which I sadly don't have the money to do right now. I have a grand total of $4.84 in my checking account that has to last me until Friday. But then I should be able to get to the store and have some better foods.

Here's some pics my friend took today of me out in his kayak! It was such fun! I totally have to get one of these!

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/fmwitch/courtneykayak1.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/fmwitch/courtneykayak2.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/fmwitch/courtneykayak3.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/fmwitch/courtneykayak4.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/fmwitch/courtneykayak5.jpg

Thursday June 5, 2008

Breakfast: one mango, bagel with vegan cream cheese and strawberry preserves, soy milk

Lunch: chips with homemade salsa and guacamole, three vegan peanut butter cookies

Dinner: tofu BBQ sandwich, steamed broccoli with Earth Balance buttery spread, homemade garlic mashed potatoes

Ounces of water: 48

Exercise:

Edited by VeganGirl2006

I went kayaking once. This was right before I seriously got back to my workouts. It was a 2 person kayak, and I did almost all of the work. My arms were sore for almost a whole week. It was a lot of fun though, and I''d love to do it again.

Whats your cats name?It's adorable!

I was rather bad about not tracking my food on Friday and Saturday. I had to work those days at the call center and just flat out was a slacker about coming home and logging my food. I vow to do better this week.

Also, I am going to change my weigh in days to Sundays since it's the actual start of the week and all.

So....

Sunday June 8, 2008

Last week's weight: 237.4

This week's weight: 236

Change: -1.4 pounds! Yay! It's not much but it's progress!

Breakfast: bagel with vegan cream cheese and strawberry preserves, one glass of apple juice

Lunch: I skipped it today.

Dinner: 2 veggie dogs, fruit salad, garden salad, peanut butter cookies, soy milk, apple juice

Ounces of water: I forgot about water today. I'll do better tomorrow!

Exercise: Lots of it but no actual exercise activities! Cooking for the guests, hauling wood, building a fire, doing dishes, cleaning up. Yep, that was my exercise.

Edited by VeganGirl2006

Good job! Keep it up. Your doing great. My daughter and I are going kayaking and camping tomorrow. It's great fun. A pound is great for a week. I try and focus on my change over a few months and not weigh my self too often, or I become less satisfied with modest, sustained success, which is my goal!

Courtney, just checking in and browsing through your journal to show some love and support and send it your way.

Wii Boxing! Coooooool. I never got into the boxing but i've tried the new wii fit recently, it is pretrty interesting. I love how when they measure your body statistics in the beginning, they tell you where you're at and they use that scale that's off base with reality and doesn't take into account lbm, just height and weight. According to them, i'm obese. raaawwwwwiiiiiiight

but the exercises are pretty cool on it. I enjoyed doing a yoga tree and having them assess where my center of balance is and to make sure i keep it there during the pose.

Kayaking rocks! I did it for the first and only time in Costa Rica off the Tortuga Islands and enjoyed every moment of it, as long as i steered clear of the rapids which i went close to by accident. It was so much run hopping from island to island on it. I would def do it again. Lovely pictures.

Congrats on the 1.4lbs. You can do it girl. I'll be checking in to make continue and congratulate you while you're on your way. It will take time to lose the weight but you'll get there. I'll send you the link of the person who inspired me for the juice feast. He did it for weight loss. went from 400 to 195 in a yr, major kudos to him. Not saying to do it but just showing an example.

I totally agree with Zack, more veggies and fruits girl and for the love of whatever please do not drink any soda, it is so terrible for you, i refuse to touch it even before i was vegan.

Maybe this will scare you away. The acidity in one 12oz can of soda is so severe that to bring your ph back to a normal level, you have to drink 30 glasses of water for every can of soda. Acidic body = environment for incubation of disease. Just say no! Not to mention the sugar is probably coming from the animal bone filters that 'whiten' when refining it.

<-- big hug of support for you as you continue on your journey

Thanks for your words of confidence! I greatly appreciate the support.

It's funny that you mention your friend who lost weight with the juice feast. I was watching a show on TV a moment ago and it mentioned a "master cleansing" and talked about the lemonade diet, where people consume a lemonade made with fresh squeezed lemons, a little bit of maple syrup, and a pinch of cayenne pepper throughout the day. I looked up the website and it's a detox cleanse as well as a weight loss thing. I am sure I could see results with such a thing but I don't know how long I'd be able to go without actually eating a meal. I fully admit that I love food! Would such a thing be healthy for a person's body? If I remember right it says to do it for a minimum of 10 days and max of 45 days. I have no doubt I'd lose weight quickly that way, but would it be worth it to do it that way?

I've been super bad about logging my food over the past couple of days. I was out of town on business and I did take my cooler along with food, but just didn't write anything down. I know I ate way too much and I have to stop keeping a supply of peanut butter cookies in the house. They are my weakness and I can't make a batch without them being gone in a couple of days!

I know alll about that damned cleanse and personally i wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. I know so many who are all about it, have done it, loved it but to me it just doesn't sound right. I mean maple syrup and water? cmon you can do wayyy better than that nutritionally for a long term fast ya know?

As far as how long you can go you don't know until you try. You'd be surprised at your willpower once you set your mind to something. Everyone likes to succeed and imo the biggest thing holding people back from doing things is the fear of failure bf they even start so they avoid goals all together. That is an automatic failure, at least if you try, you'll only get stronger for the next time in case you don't achieve the goal you set out to do.....

Tr it for a day, just drink water for a day, 24hrs, that is not bad for you. You'll test your wits and then have a nice healthy decent sized meal when you resume eating...

I think I'll give the water fast a shot tomorrow or Saturday. It will be easier for me to do that on a day when I'm at work and not tempted by whatever's in my fridge.

Thursday June 12, 2008

Breakfast: rice with black beans, corn, and homemade salsa, garlic marinated mushrooms, carrots

Lunch: veggie dogs

Dinner: Chinese food!!!!! A couple of friends took me out to dinner. I had brown rice, broccoli, mushrooms, green beans, corn, and noodles. I had so been wanting Chinese too! But I ate too much.

Ounces of water: 32

Exercise: Went on a long walk with a friend. Spent a couple of hours walking around the mall pushing our kids in their strollers.

I am going to get in some form of exercise today! That's my mini goal for the day.

Friday June 13, 2008

Today was bad. I had a migraine this morning so I didn't go to work. After taking my Imitrex and getting rid o the migraine I spent the day grazing. I just couldn't stay out of the kitchen. And I ate bad stuff. I don't think I had a real meal today. Just lots of snacks. I had chips, cookies, a couple of veggie dogs, and I think I overdid it on the soy milk. That's all I drank today. 4 glasses of it.

This may explain why I have had a tummy ache this evening. I can't do this. I have to eat healthier.