I'm ready! Let's do this!

Ok, so my husband and I finally have ALL of the animal food products out of our home! We're now ready to start this new lifestyle! We're both in it for the health benefits and for the concern for animals, but I'm also in it for weight loss. And since I tend to be lazy and have a hard time sticking with things, I decided to go ahead and write it all down (perhaps ya'll can help inspire me and offer advice, and maybe I can set goals for myself to achieve and watch myself achieve them). Anyway, here's my starting stats and what I'll be doing and such...

I'm 22 years old, about 6 feet tall, and about 240 pounds. I'm very fat, infact I've been considered obese. I have piles of fat everywhere, though mostly on the lower half of my body. I realize many of you post pictures of your changes. Well, besides the fact of me being camera shy and hating how ugly my body looks, I am very modest and don't like to show off. (So if I did post full-body pics, you wouldn't be able to tell any difference with my big long poofy skirt in the way! lol.) I might get creative with my artwork, though, and draw up some silhouette pics or something, to show some sort of visual as to how much I change. lol.

I've had a hard time shedding weight with diets in the past, and yo-yo dieted a bit. I used to have emotional eating problems, but have been a lot better at that. I have a sweet tooth, and tend to eat sweet stuff often, but have been trying to contain myself. I'm not usually that active, and tend to get tired quickly due to the heaviness of all the weight I have to carry around, so I'll start some goals of being more active too.

I will basically list my daily eating habits, and also if I do any exercise of any type, and a weekly reading of my weight change (I don't weigh myself daily, as it only made me paranoid and depressed in the past just because I wasn't losing weight quick enough).

My husband and I are basically following the same routine (except for any extra exercises I may do, besides walking, like lifting weights, sit-ups, etc.).

So, I'm starting with today...

Due to going to bed late, I woke up at 1 pm. I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (on whole wheat bread, the main homemade bread we usually make) for breakfast. Throughout the day, we had great nothern white bean and veggie soup (the big pot of it that we cooked lasts the whole day). I will have an orange before bed, too. That's about it for today. We're going to bed early tonight so I can TRY to get back on schedule and stick to a good routine.

Stay tuned for more!

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would definitely recommend not trying to take the weight off too quickly. I know it is really tempting once the pounds start shedding, but for loose skin and health reasons, it can be bad. I went from 275 to 165 (or thereabouts, I can never remember the exact numbers) in a matter of nine or so months and I ended up with lots of loose skin and lost muscle. Take is slow and keep up the resistance exercises and you will find yourself with a metabolism that isn't shot in the leg, more muscle and less loose skin when you arrive at your goal.

Good luck!

Are you planning at some point to introduce cardio exercise into your regime? Nothing boosts your metabolism and burns off calories like cardio. Of course, that may be something to consider later on down the road once you've adjusted to your new lifestyle a bit.)

(I was not overweight, but I lost more than 20% of my body weight by starting to exercise and eat properly.)

I would definitely recommend not trying to take the weight off too quickly. I know it is really tempting once the pounds start shedding, but for loose skin and health reasons, it can be bad. I went from 275 to 165 (or thereabouts, I can never remember the exact numbers) in a matter of nine or so months and I ended up with lots of loose skin and lost muscle. Take is slow and keep up the resistance exercises and you will find yourself with a metabolism that isn't shot in the leg, more muscle and less loose skin when you arrive at your goal.

Oh, I already know that. (And if I didn't, my husband sure warned me enough, lol.) I've already decided that for the first few weeks, I'll be barely active (my usual thing, lol). That way, the weight is not coming off faster. Also, if I start feeling ill from my body cleansing itself of all those horrid putrifying meats and junk, I won't feel worse from being more active.

Are there any resistance exercises you have in mind? I have some of those resistance band thingys lying around here somewhere... ...so I could probably use those, too.

Good luck!

Are you planning at some point to introduce cardio exercise into your regime? Nothing boosts your metabolism and burns off calories like cardio. Of course, that may be something to consider later on down the road once you've adjusted to your new lifestyle a bit.)

(I was not overweight, but I lost more than 20% of my body weight by starting to exercise and eat properly.)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking...start small, and introduce more variety of exercise to my routines once I go a few months or so through this.

The thing is, all this weight on me keeps me tired often, so I figure it may definitely be best to start off slow with this. I've had many times where I worked myself hard and almost passed out. So, yeah. Don't wan't that happening again!

Good luck with this!

If your ultimate goal is to become a frutarian maybe you can by start integrating more raw fruits and vegetables into your diet on top of or instead of the things you usually eat? This might better prepare you for the yank? I've been at the point where I ate things 90% raw, but I just didn't feel like I was getting enough complex carbs to support the amount of exercise I do... also I read a post here where someone was talking about "riding the waves of energy you get and using them to work out" maybe if you do feel a bit energized that's a good time to go take a walk? Anyways, best of luck! You can do anything if you put your mind to it.

Yeah, my husband and I already talked much about that. We're already trying to add a few more raw foods into our diets. Though, due to our small budget, we may not start eating a lot more raw foods at least until after our move (hopefully we can both get decent jobs where we move to).

July 2, 2008

Breakfast: peanut butter and jelly bread (not a sandwich, but just 1 slice with peanut butter and jelly on top)

Lunch: cooked spaghetti squash and pasta sauce

Dinner: peanut butter and jelly bread

Snack: 2 oranges

I didn't have much variety today, and also didn't eat much. I felt a bit tired and had stomach pains. Flatulence is bad...and smelly... And I feel like my body's starting to go through a cleanse.

No exercise at all again today. I didn't even go outside. Anyway, I'm signing out for the night.

Other recommendations for resistance exercises...

I would recommend some body weight exercises for you, but I am not the most knowledgeable on them. Pushups, situps, crunches, get your hubby to assist you with pullups eventually...

Check the Bodybuilding/Strength Training area. There is a recent thread called "Building muscle on BW only" or something like that. Here is a link I found to some body weight exercises.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/basictraining.htm

Other recommendations for resistance exercises...

I would recommend some body weight exercises for you, but I am not the most knowledgeable on them. Pushups, situps, crunches, get your hubby to assist you with pullups eventually...

Check the Bodybuilding/Strength Training area. There is a recent thread called "Building muscle on BW only" or something like that. Here is a link I found to some body weight exercises.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/basictraining.htm

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely consider that for later.

Good luck, TigreBella! I'm glad to see that you've put a lot of thought and effort into this. Here's me hoping for a safe and healthy path to your goals!

Thanks! I'm definitely anxiously awaiting to see how things will go.

July 3, 2008

Breakfast: peanut butter and jelly bread

Lunch: lentil and vegetable soup

Dinner: lentil and vegetable soup

Snack: 2 oranges

I still felt tired. Flatulence wasn't so bad today, but I'm definitely starting to get acne all over my face and back.

No exercise again today.

Dude, I farted so much when I first went vegan. NOBODY WANTED TO BE MY FRIEND! Lol

so don't worry, it's normal. It will last a few weeks. Also, I noticed that you're eating quite a few beans and lentils. That's good for protein, but not for the gas so much.

I would suggest just one thing: It would be best for you to eat a little more often. Eating small amounts more often increases your metabolism and keeps your energy up. If you can't do so at the moment, due to budget reasons, make sure you do this later on. It will help tremendously.

Buying local produce that's in season is a great way to get more fruits and veggies that aren't too expensive.

When you start your exercising, start off slow by taking a 20 minute walk everyday. I don't use resistant bands too often.. but I'm sure you can look up on the internet all sorts of different exercises.

Good luck with your progress ^^

Definitely doing resistance/weight training exrecises would help, especially with raising your metabolism. Then you'll burn more calories even while resting. For exercises I can think of a few. I'm not sure what type of bands you have,if they're closed or open, but you can do all sorts of things with them, I've used them in group exercise classes a lot. You can put both feet over the band, and then while holding it do bicep curls, overhead shoulder press, etc. Anyway I'm sure there are a ,ot of different websites you can find info and pictures of various exercises.

Eating frequently is important too, llike Marcina said. I have a habit of not eating frequently sometimes, and that's when I find myself tired and with no energy. Sounds like you're on your way!

I heard that drinking lots and lots of water can help with acne / skin condition

Yeah... ...my husband keeps reminding me I need to drink more than 1 or 2 bottles of water each day. I'm just so not used to it, and end up forgetting. In the past, I almost always only had drinks with my meals and not just throughout the day like you would with snacks. I need to get into the habit of drinking more water!

As far as the acne, though, I read up that it can be due to toxins leaving your system, especially when eating healthier or cleansing.

Dude, I farted so much when I first went vegan. NOBODY WANTED TO BE MY FRIEND! Lol

so don't worry, it's normal. It will last a few weeks. Also, I noticed that you're eating quite a few beans and lentils. That's good for protein, but not for the gas so much.

I would suggest just one thing: It would be best for you to eat a little more often. Eating small amounts more often increases your metabolism and keeps your energy up. If you can't do so at the moment, due to budget reasons, make sure you do this later on. It will help tremendously.

Buying local produce that's in season is a great way to get more fruits and veggies that aren't too expensive.

When you start your exercising, start off slow by taking a 20 minute walk everyday. I don't use resistant bands too often.. but I'm sure you can look up on the internet all sorts of different exercises.

Good luck with your progress ^^

Well, considering it is only me and my husband in our home, and we don't have many friends (except online), AND that we just keep farting in sync with each other...I don't see that as a problem for us! I just hate that at first it smelled kind of revolting...

We figured since beans and lentils are cheap on our budget, it's a good way to go. That's our main problem. Our budget is just measly $100 in food stamps and $50 cash each month, and it can only go so far...which sucks! We're considering trying to eat less, though, as we have been eating a good bit, and I doubt it'd hurt us to eat a bit less and try to make things last a bit longer.

Prices are so costly at the stores near us! Though, hopefully when we move to Washington state, things should be better. We looked up places in the area where we're going, and they have a co-op nearby, so that might be cheaper on us to afford, hopefully.

Definitely doing resistance/weight training exrecises would help, especially with raising your metabolism. Then you'll burn more calories even while resting. For exercises I can think of a few. I'm not sure what type of bands you have,if they're closed or open, but you can do all sorts of things with them, I've used them in group exercise classes a lot. You can put both feet over the band, and then while holding it do bicep curls, overhead shoulder press, etc. Anyway I'm sure there are a ,ot of different websites you can find info and pictures of various exercises.

Eating frequently is important too, llike Marcina said. I have a habit of not eating frequently sometimes, and that's when I find myself tired and with no energy. Sounds like you're on your way!

Yeah, I'll definitely try adding that to my routine!

July 4, 2008

Breakfast: peanut butter and jelly bread

Lunch: cooked spaghetti squash and pasta sauce

Dinner: peanut butter and jelly sandwich

Snack: 1 orange

I'm feeling tired, but other than that, doing good!

We went to the store today, so walked a mile there and a mile back! We got mangos, 16 for $8! So hopefully that will help snackwise, until we get foodstamps on the 16th. I'm trying to cut down my snack to 1 fruit per day for now, until we find we can afford to buy enough fruit to have them as often as I was.

That is SO awesome your eventual goal is to be raw!!

It's the most profound, life changing thing imaginable!

Being positive and full of LIFE is the natural state of the human being.

Congratulations on your goals and achievements thus far,

it can sometimes seem like a long road.. but take it one day at a time,

one step in front of the other, and you can climb any mountain

Also, I do just wanted to offer advice in the realm of GREENS consumption.

I find that not consuming enough greens(salads, green smoothies, etc.) really

contributes to giving into cravings and sweets. I have found.. for my body,

it comes down to mineralization.

So, maybe add a green smoothie to your diet in the mornings to

help energize you, hydrate you, and mineralize you

Also, I don't know if you know of Angela Stokes but she is an astonishing creature:

www.rawreform.com

That is SO awesome your eventual goal is to be raw!!

It's the most profound, life changing thing imaginable!

Being positive and full of LIFE is the natural state of the human being.

Congratulations on your goals and achievements thus far,

it can sometimes seem like a long road.. but take it one day at a time,

one step in front of the other, and you can climb any mountain

Also, I do just wanted to offer advice in the realm of GREENS consumption.

I find that not consuming enough greens(salads, green smoothies, etc.) really

contributes to giving into cravings and sweets. I have found.. for my body,

it comes down to mineralization.

So, maybe add a green smoothie to your diet in the mornings to

help energize you, hydrate you, and mineralize you

Also, I don't know if you know of Angela Stokes but she is an astonishing creature:

http://www.rawreform.com

Thanks! *blushes and feels more confident*

Yeah, I was thinking that I need something to give me a lift in the morning. I seem to be tired for the first few hours in the morning, and slightly less tired throughout the day. We'll see what we can get, though. My husband and I are talking over it, about what our plan of action is for the month when we go shopping on the 16th, so we can make sure to eat more healthy, and more raw, and not go over our budget.

Nope, I never heard of Angela Stokes until now. I just checked out that website, and it looks like she's had an amazing transformation, though! Wow! I hope I can be just as successful with losing weight! I am definitely getting more and more confident about doing this and losing weight, though! Rawr! lol. I feel more determined now than I ever was to change my life around for the better!

aww...that is so great you feel motivated! It is such a powerful force.

The trick is... developing endurance driven motivation

Keeping with a habit long enough, so you can reap the benefits of health

thru consistency.

& , wow, well I am glad you know of Angela Stokes now!

She is a sweetie pie and I love her outlook on life. She's gone thru

many of the obstacles you probably have experienced with weight gain & loss..

as have yet to experience, so I think her wisdom in the matter will help you immensely!

Also, GIRL you need more fruits and veggies!! hah

Don't focus on purely eating comfort foods all day.. it will leave you feeling

worn out very quickly, and unmotivated.

Definitely look into Green Smoothies to start your day!

Also, try and consume about 1-2 litres of water within the first few hours after

you awake.. it will help you through out the day, more than you can imagine!

If you can just focus on your water consumption then, then you don't

have to worry about it the rest of the day!

Also, I find what helps me with grocery shopping (aside from

trying to shop at a CO-OP, natural foods store all of the time..) is

always start in the produce section.

Try and plan nearly all of your meals, or foods you like, around that section!

That will help immensely. Not only to increase raw food consumption,

but to decrease processed food consumption!

You have all of my best wishes.. you can do this!

aww...that is so great you feel motivated! It is such a powerful force.

The trick is... developing endurance driven motivation

Keeping with a habit long enough, so you can reap the benefits of health

thru consistency.

& , wow, well I am glad you know of Angela Stokes now!

She is a sweetie pie and I love her outlook on life. She's gone thru

many of the obstacles you probably have experienced with weight gain & loss..

as have yet to experience, so I think her wisdom in the matter will help you immensely!

Also, GIRL you need more fruits and veggies!! hah

Don't focus on purely eating comfort foods all day.. it will leave you feeling

worn out very quickly, and unmotivated.

Definitely look into Green Smoothies to start your day!

Also, try and consume about 1-2 litres of water within the first few hours after

you awake.. it will help you through out the day, more than you can imagine!

If you can just focus on your water consumption then, then you don't

have to worry about it the rest of the day!

Also, I find what helps me with grocery shopping (aside from

trying to shop at a CO-OP, natural foods store all of the time..) is

always start in the produce section.

Try and plan nearly all of your meals, or foods you like, around that section!

That will help immensely. Not only to increase raw food consumption,

but to decrease processed food consumption!

You have all of my best wishes.. you can do this!

Yeah, good idea about the water! I told my husband to make sure to start reminding me to drink enough water soon as I wake up!

Oh, we always start in the produce section...just that we keep feeling that we can't afford much fresh stuff due to such high costs...and $150 doesn't go very far for a month. But hopefully it will help if we get more raw foods and just ration out our portions (eating a bit less than before) and filling up on water! We'll see when we go shopping on the 16th.

Woohoo! YES I CAN! *does a cheery Spongebob Squarepants voice*...I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready...I'M READY!!! lol.

July 6, 2008

Breakfast: jelly bread (no more peanut butter, so only bread topped with jelly for now)

Lunch: lentil and vegetable soup

Dinner: lentil and vegetable soup

Snack: 1 orange

I'm still feeling about the same, and didn't do any exercise today. I'll probably start a bit of small exercise tomorrow after I weight myself.

Hey TigreBella, just wanted to wish you luck. I find that if you fill up a gallon jug of water, lug it around with you AND place it within eye shot. You'll be more likely to take a gulp here and there. I go thru about a gallon and a half a day. I've even got a little "shake it up" routine that I go through when I clean the jug out. It makes me feel like I'm doing a little workout. You fill the jug with water about a quarter of the way full, toss on the cap/lid and start shaking it with one hand. As hard as you can. It's rather fun.

Anyway, good luck!

Hey TigreBella, just wanted to wish you luck. I find that if you fill up a gallon jug of water, lug it around with you AND place it within eye shot. You'll be more likely to take a gulp here and there. I go thru about a gallon and a half a day. I've even got a little "shake it up" routine that I go through when I clean the jug out. It makes me feel like I'm doing a little workout. You fill the jug with water about a quarter of the way full, toss on the cap/lid and start shaking it with one hand. As hard as you can. It's rather fun.

Anyway, good luck!

Thanks!

Yeah, my only problem with that is that I hate hot/warm water...unless it's tea or soup! But plain water, I can only stand drinking big quantities of it if it's cold, or at least slightly cool. Though my husband and I each keep a gallon of RO water (we use a Reverse Osmosis water filter) in the fridge, so we each have one to gauge how much we drink. And we each have a water bottle that we refill from the gallons as we empty them. And we each keep our water bottle in plain sight (I even bring mines with me when we go shopping). We're trying to get me in the habit of drinking more, though, by my husband reminding me to drink a good bit in the morning. That way, if I don't drink much throughout the day, at least we can assure I'll get somewhat of a decent amount.

July 7, 2008

Breakfast: jelly bread

Lunch: split pea and vegetable soup

Dinner: split pea and vegetable soup

Snack: 1 mango

I'll also have a laxative tea before bed, as I feel I'm needing it. >.<

I'm still feeling about the same, and didn't make time to exercise today. Grrr.

This week's weight: 238 pounds (-2 pounds) (I know, it's best not to get excited right away, expecially since with my luck it's probably just water weight.)

You are tired because you aren't taking in enough calories and I there is very little protein or fat in your plan.

** Try to eat 3 small meals and two snacks every three hours.

** Is the jelly sugar free? Anyway, you could switch breakast to a slice of Ezekiel toast with 1 tablespoon peanut butter and a glass of low sugar soymilk for breakfast instead. That would be a better breakfast.

** Drink tons of water. At least 90 oz if your serious about fat loss.

** Do a 20 minute walk every day to start. Everything else is extra but cardio should be your first goal to lose some of the fat,then a proper weight training program can come later.

Good luck. Hope some of these tips help. On the good side, you are very young so your metabolism is fast! So if you do follow a proper program, you should see things happen quickly. But you definitely aren't taking in enough calories and too many refined carbs and simple sugars. Start with the breakfast I suggested and add one snack and the walking. Baby steps