Re-gaining control. It's on like Donkey Kong

Here I go.. I have been working out for about 2 and a half months now. I have noticed a bit of body fat loss in the thigh/butt region which is AWESOME! =) my goal is to be to about 15%bf if not lower, I did some measurement thing in the beginning and I was something like 26% LBM= 92.47

So today is just a cardio day, probably just take the Gabby dog for a 40min walk (it's SO nice outside)

yesterday here is what I did:

Giant superset 1:

dumbbell squat 10reps 4 sets no rest (10lbs)

Leg press 10 reps 4 sets no rest ( I think it was around 90lbs?)

Calf press 25 rep 4 sets no rest

upright row 10 rep 4 sets 60 sec rest between each new superset

Giant superset 2:

leg extension 10 4 no rest

leg curl 10 4 no rest

standing calf raise (two legs) 15 4 no rest

triceps kickback 10lbs. 8rep 4 60 sec rest between each new superset

superset3

adducter and abductor machine 15 4 no rest

Abs

Trunk curl and crunch

Crunch/pelvic Lift combo 10 4 no rest ( I could really feel these! =) )

Cardio

20 stairclimber/ 20 minute crosstrainer = 45mins total with cool down

stretching.

In march I sprained my ankle and now I notice when I do mostly these cardio machines and the bike my right foot (the bad one) falls asleep. what's that all about?

yesterday I ate:

breakfast:

1/2 glass lemonade

water

whole wheat pancakes with pecans blackberries and agave

snack:

water

apple

vega shake

lunch/dinner

Quinoa salad with white beans and bok choy

1/2 grapefruit

snack:

mini PB crackers

this is not a typical food for me I usually dont have pancakes for breakfast (i'm on vacation so I'm trying to actually eat breakfast at home and not in class) I will keep posting my workouts and food so I can get better feed back on my 'normal' stuff.

Edited by djshrew

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I'm going to be the FIRST to reply rather than the last

Great to meet you recently. You and your husband are awesome and in great shape! I'm glad you got to come to two events and really feel the power of our community with in-person events where a bunch of us are present.

All the best and thanks for starting a log on here. I look forward to checking it out.

RC

Sorry I have been a slacker with my posting, this will be a short one (seeing as how i'm actually at school right now.)

I had my first dance class yesterday since my ankle injury (only a little painful and only with certain movements) it was great though to be back doing what I love!

I went to the gym this morning before class and of course I come outside, hair wet, and it is POURING and freezing cold! my class is on the other side of campus and I look like the bag lady with all the stuff I carry! would love to be in my warm bed!

I will post what I did today at the gym when I get home.

Here is what I have done this week and will be doing next week.

CARDIO:

M-W-F: 20 minutes of anything

Tues: Ballet 8:30-9:50

Modern 1:00-2:15

Thursday: Ballet 8:30-9:50

Modern 1:00-2:15

Improv. Dance 2:30-5:00

ABS everyday:

superset:

Lying leg raise 15

crunch 15

superset:

Knee-In 15

Incline Bench Partial sit-up 15

MONDAY/THURSDAY 12-15 (reps)

superset 1:

DB one-arm row (alt. w/two arm row)

Incline DB press (alt. w/palms facing each other)

superset 2:

DB pullover (alt. w/seated low pulley row)

Chest dip (alt. w/push-up)

superset 3:

Wide grip- pull-up front (alt. w/ straight arm pull-down)

Incline DB fly (alt. w/ incline cable crossover)

superset 4:

Bent-over lat. raise on incline bench (alt. w/seated rear delt machine)

Seated machine calf raise (alt. standing calf raise)

TUESDAY/FRIDAY (12-15 reps)

superset 1:

DB squat (alt. w/ballet squat)

Lying leg curl (alt. w.DB lunge)

superset 2:

Hack squat (alt. w/leg extension)

Stiff-legged deadlift (alt. w/ seated leg curl)

superset 3:

Leg press (alt. w/ DB squat)

standing hamstring curl (alt. w/ lying leg curl)

superset 4:

Calf press (alt. w/ multi-directional calf raise)

Standing calf raise, 1-leg (alt. w/ 2 legs)

WED/SAT. (12-15 reps)

superset 1:

DB curl (alt. w/ incline DB curl)

Lying DB extension ( alt. w/ tricep pushdown)

superset 2:

concentration curl (alt. w/ hammer curl)

tricep kickback (alt. w/overhead extension)

superset 3:

reverse curl (alt. w/one arm preacher curl)

tricep dip (alt. w/close grip DB press)

superset 4:

DB shoulder press (alt. w/military press)

upright row (alt. w/ DB lat raise)

So far so good, the ankle seems to be doing alright, I'm still having issues with doing my plies and grand plies (I think the muscles are insanely tight) the other thing I have noticed is my flexibility has suffered, I have been stretching like a crazy person)

• 1 month later...

So I forgot to post the last few weeks.

I had injured my shoulder (it was swollen anyway, so I decided to lay off the gym for a week but kept dancing)

Here is what I am doing for the next 2 weeks:

8-10 reps

4 sets

Abs everyday

Lying leg raise

crunch

knee-in

incline sit-up

MON/THURS.

8-10 reps

4 sets

superset 1:

DB one arm row (alt. with 2 arm row)

incline DB press ( DB press w/ palms facing each other)

DB pullover (seated pulley row)

Chest Dip

superset 2:

wide grip pull-up to front (straight arm pull down)

incline DB fly (I would alternate this is my gym didn't suck and always have broken stuff)

bent-over Lat raise (seated rear delt machine)

seated calf raise (I have no weights on this yet because of my ankle, but I think I might try some next week)

TUES/FRI

8-10 reps

4 sets

superset 1:

DB curl (incline DB curl)

Lying DB extension (tricep pushdown)

concentration curl (hammer curl)

tricep kickback (overhead DB extension)

superset 2:

reverse curl (one arm preacher curl)

tricep dip (close grip DB press)

DB shoulder press (military press) -this one I am trying to do, but I also don't want to mess my shoulder up

upright row (DB lat raise)

WED/SAT

8-10 reps

4 sets

superset 1:

DB squat (ballet squat)

lying leg curl (DB lunge)

Leg extension (would alt a hack squat if the gym had one)

stiff-legged dead lift (seated leg curl machine)

superset 2

Leg press (DB squat)

standing hamstring curl ( lying leg curl)

calf press (multi-direction calf raise)

standing calf raise-one leg (two legs)

Cardio:

M-W-F

20-30 min. of anything

Tues.

ballet

modern dance

Thursday

ballet

modern dance

improv. dance

I will be posting my everyday diet soon.

So I'm skipping my workout today, dance killed my legs yesterday and I can hardly move (not good when my husband is running a marathon tomorrow and I have to walk all around baltimore)

I figure my legs could use some recovery time, they feel like jelly this morning.

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot believe how I ate this weekend! (We had friends in town and took them to all the good spots) I felt so bloated I thought I had an alien that was going to crawl out of my stomach!

Didn't go to the gym this morning (I messed my shoulder up on Thursday, heard it pop even, I want to give it one more day of rest. When our guests leave i'll get back into the gym

How is your ankle doing? Don't be too hard on yourself in regards to the weekend eating. A little increased carbs or cals on the weekend can actually be good for the body. Tricking it into thinking it's gonna be getting more carbs/cals during the following week. Then of course you hit it with the normal diet/workout routine. ha ha fooled you again, body!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am a giant slacker! I have been dancing like crazy (just about everyday, I had 3 performances this weekend)... something is seriously messed up with my shoulder, I have been trying to rest it (aside from the dancing) If it is not better when I get back from Idaho in Jan. I'm going to have to get it looked at.

In the meantime... I did get the stomach flu and lost a few pounds (which I guess helped out w/ all the eating I did on Thanksgiving,lol!)

I'm still trying to stay active without irritating the shoulder, any thoughts would be great.

Edited by djshrew

If only I had a pool, I quit the gym I used to go to (for money reasons) now I use whatever my school has. I may be able to use the indoor pool, but they seem to always have practice or classes in there. I am going to Florida for the holidays ( pools are everywhere there, lol) Thanks for the advice

Alright..the shoulder thing is getting to be unbearable! It hurts so badly at night that I have a hard time getting to sleep! I figure when I get back from Idaho in Jan. I will make an appointment to get an MRI and see what the hell is making it hurt. All the gains I made in my arms are going to hell I haven't really worked out in a month (the shoulder issue combined with the stomach flu does not make for good working out) now I am ready to do something (I feel like crap not working out!) I have been thinking about starting to run, I don't love to run but I know that it may help to get my fat loss over the edge and to maybe uncover the awesomeness that lies beneath...maybe now's the perfect time to focus on getting killer abs and legs since my upper body shows progress faster anyway. Any thoughts on my plan would be great.

I would call for an appointment tomorrow.

It can take weeks or even a month to get an appointment with a good orthopedic surgeon/sports medicine MD. They have protocols too. You will not a prescription for an MRI right away. They will put you on physical therapy and some sort of anti-inflammatory for a month to see if the condition gets better. If not, then you will get an MRI. Depending on the results you may need surgery and that can take months to arrange.

Orthopedic issues, especially the shoulder joint can be a "stitch in time" issue. If you don't take care of a problem sooner, it will become a bigger problem.

I would call for an appointment tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice, I know I shouldn't wait, I think part of me is waiting because I know i will have to go to PT and I just got done with PT for the second time. I swear the people there will be like family when I'm done I promise i'll call to make an appt. I talked to my primary doc. already but they didn't seem too concerned (go figure)

• 4 weeks later...

So guess what! I went to the Doc. and apparently I messed up my trapezius and something to do with my shoulder. He gave me meds. (daypro, which I will not take! He gave me the same thing for my ankle, didn't take it than either) and he also prescribed Physical Therapy. I have been to PT twice in the past 2 years. I feel like I live there. The people that work there must think I'm crazy lol

I have been wanting to do the personal training thing ( with Veggie Princess for sure ) but it would most likely be better to wait until PT is over with don't you think?

Also, I joined a gym to help get my friend motivated to get herself in shape, I just got back in town and have not gone yet, but I will as soon as I get back from visiting family out west. until than it's cardio city.

I know what you mean about feeling like a jerk ending up in the same physical therapy place over and over again. I had a knee, shoulder, then plantar fascitus problem. Sometime this year I want to go back to PT to get help evening my legs out. One side is much more developed from hobbling around with a knee problem for years. I will feel the same kind of silliness that you do.

• 3 weeks later...

quick update...

I missed my 1st PT appt. because I was stuck in San. Fran at the airport with a delay so I didn't end up getting into Baltimore until around 1:30am (my appt was at 8am needless to say i was a bit out of it) on top of this delay I have a cold and an ear infection! ouch! I haven't been doing any fitness related stuff much this past week (my classes start monday and I need to be better asap) When I was in Idaho I did run a bit and went snowboarding twice so I did get something in there. I bought a new pair of running shoes, this time I was fit professionally so I won't end up hurting something else I will be starting PT in Feb.

well I need to go hit some serious vit. C!!

Edited by djshrew

Started this week at the new gym I joined, It's not too bad. they have nice equipment and it's not too crowded. plus, I saw a kid the other day there that used to make fun of me in school so it felt great to be like, "and what? look at me now!" I have just been doing cardio and abs until I have met with my physical therapist. Today I did and hour on the treadmill (mixed it up between running, walking fast and inclined.)

If I am not on here that much it's because Spanish class is kicking my butt! pray for me

GET IT CHECKED OUT! My shoulder injury has not gone away, even with laying off it, it never healed. It happened last June. I just can't afford to have it looked at at the moment. If you can, please do as they are a pain. I have similar problems. Hurts to sleep on it, swollen, etc. I just work through it now but it def prevents me from doping certain exercises. Keep us posted!

Congrats on the new gym; super envious of your snowboarding. I am dying to get out over here on the slopes. Wish I knew you were here visiting.

It took me how long to just realize now that your avatar is a tofu kicking a bacon slices butt!? lol, i love it