Denise Nicole's Journey to Oz (SeaSiren)

New Year, New Journal!

Last Year was a rocky journey and I expect nothing less this year, so let's get things moving

Goals:

more definition & strength

more sleep - last year I continuously got about 5-6 hours sleep and not on the same schedule. So this year in order to repair and grow I would like to be resting 8-9 hours per day on a reg schedule.

Diet: Higher protein works well with me, so 165g protein daily. I do not tolerate highly processed soy products or most bread type products well, so they are out. The rest I'll journal as I go.

Supps: Multi, Vit C, Iron, B12, Creatine Mono, BCAA, Spirulina

Cardio: This gets tricky as I am teaching this year. So unless closing in on comp, I will not add any more cardio then the classes I am teaching. Therefore, Step, Pump, 20/20, and possibly more. I would love to teach a pole fitness class this year ... so we shall see!

Weights: Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri:

Monday - Quads, Lats, Shoulders

Quads

Squats - 3x6

Leg Press - 3x8

Shoulders

Rear delts 3x10 (shoulder warm-up)

Shoulder Press - 3x6 (heavy)

Side Lateral Raises - 3x12-15

Lats:

Chins - 3x8

Pullovers - 3x8

Hammer Strength High Rows - 2x12-15

Tuesday - Quads, Lats, Shoulders

Quads

Sissy Squats 2x8-12 (lighter than Monday)

Shoulders

Shoulder Press - 3x8 (lighter than Monday)

Side Lateral Raises - 3x8 (lighter than Monday)

Lats:

Chins - 3x8

Negative shrugs - 3x10

T Rows - 2x12-15

Wednesday – NO WEIGHTS

Thursday – Chest, Back, Calves, Abs

Chest:

Incline Hammer Press - 3x8-12

Dumbbell flyes - 3x10-12

Back

Rack pulls - 4 x 5-6

Hammer unilateral rows - 3x12-15

Calves:

Standing Raises - 3x8-10

Seated Raises - 2 x 15

Abs:

Weighted Crunch 3x8-12

Friday – Cleans, Hams, Arms, Abs

Cleans: 3-5 sets of 3

Hamstrings:

Romanian Dead Lift - 3x8

Standing Leg Curl - 2x12-15

Arms:

Weighted Bench dips - 2x8

Tricep Pushdown - 2x10

Seated alternating dumbbell curls - 2x8

Hammer curl - 2x10

Abs:

Weighted Rope Crunch 3x8-12

Saturday & Sunday – Rest

I have a very aggressive competition schedule this year as well as my normal traveling for the modeling and public speaking. I'll post my comp schedule tomorrow and update accordingly

Seasiren, how do you like the Sun warrior protein? Is it thick or thin.

Good luck with all of your endeavors this year. I know you will rock

Thank you I love SunWarrior, It neither thick nor thin, if that makes sense, lol I don't have to chew it, nor is it like water. I double scoop most of the time. When I needed the extra cals I would mix with fresh squeezed juice, now I mix with water.

where do you teach at?

I do private PT internationally. But rotate gyms for PT and the new classes will be held in the Chesterfield area. I use Detroit as my default as most persons know where that is (easier to visualize) however, I live in the Metro Area, Harrison Twp.

You are such an inspiration SeaSiren. Thank you.

I hope the best for the competitions and for your goals.

Thank you!

Seasiren, how do you like the Sun warrior protein? Is it thick or thin.

Good luck with all of your endeavors this year. I know you will rock

Thank you I love SunWarrior, It neither thick nor thin, if that makes sense, lol I don't have to chew it, nor is it like water. I double scoop most of the time. When I needed the extra cals I would mix with fresh squeezed juice, now I mix with water.

[Thank you!

Which flavor do you recommend?

more sleep - last year I continuously got about 5-6 hours sleep and not on the same schedule. So this year in order to repair and grow I would like to be resting 8-9 hours per day on a reg schedule.

You rock Sea Siren!

While meditation is not a replacement for sleep, it induces a deeper level of rest and relieves more stress. Have you ever cultivated a sitting meditation practice in your daily discipline?

Which flavor do you recommend?

If you are a chocoholic, lol, the choc is very good. However, I mostly use the vanilla as I find it more versatile when adding extra ingredients (such as juice) or when I have it with a side, like a spinach salad..... sometimes I like to eat a portion of the meal instead of mixing it all together. Although if on the go, I just throw it all in a blender.

You rock Sea Siren!

While meditation is not a replacement for sleep, it induces a deeper level of rest and relieves more stress. Have you ever cultivated a sitting meditation practice in your daily discipline?

Thanks! I agree with meditation. I do not sit still well, lol But I do get down 2-3 times a week and am quiet. I was told to lay down on a floor or bed, but I found time in a tanning bed.... between the warm lights and buzzing sound, I almost fall asleep! Not sure that is quite what Robbie meant when he said be down and quite though

I'm greatly looking forward to following this! Do you have any booked competitions?

I was invited by some of the NPC judges to do the Arnold this year on the main stage for the new NPC bikini division. I am trying to hammer that one out!

I have plans for 9-12 shows this year. A definite are the following NATURAL Competitions as I have fallen madly in love with the organizers of this circuit!

March 28, 2009: Toledo OH

April 4, 2009: Flint Mi

May 16, 2009: Grand Rapids MI.

June 27, 2009: Ann Arbor MI

October 3, 2009: Flint Mi

November (Date to be announced) The Ohio Natural Classic

MEAL 1: Tofu Scramble (lite firm tofu heated in very little olive oil, w a bit of onion and green pepper and 1/2 cup baby spinach). Old Fashioned Oats, Coffee

Results: My stomach either doesn't like being back on a strict higher protein diet (began being strict yesterday) OR did not like the oats. Will give it some more time for the adjustment. I did want to add some grains in my AM meals.

I do not have class this week yet, so will do 20 min cardio this morning.

I am one of the celebrity models taking on the runway in Detroit next month for a charity event. (he said celebrity and I looked behind me and thought... "really!!!! where???" ... I don't see it I guess) So I need to continue my cut (also a couple of photo shoots just after). I was surprised on this one as it's not a company I would normally go for, just never thought I would be their type. But glad to do it. The designer does street/hip hop clothing. I went in for my first fitting Sat, they just took photos and measurements. They are designing the clothing for my body, as well as a jeweler who is designing pieces for my body type for the event. Bonus ... I get to keep the custom clothing

Anyway, they will have Rap Bands playing on stage and Hip Hop dancers on either side of us .... the event is across from Tiger Stadium in Detroit. I am looking forward to working with everyone..... OH! radio, television and magazine coverage. I'll see if I can find out if there are any live feeds going on. Although it's be evening here, so most of you will prob be sleeping!

AND!!!! My gorgeous daughter Savannah is making her runway debut at the same event. I am so very proud of her! I have already given her the talk... we have 40 models, 20 minutes and 2-3 changes. Once we are back stage, I can not help her, she is on her own as far as changes.... tensions are very high and it moves lightening fast... change quickly, line up ... the event coordinator lightly pushes us on our back and it's walk, walk, walk, turn, turn, walk back ... RUN!!!.... change and go again! People, models... the designer, make-up etc will be yelling etc... nothing is personal, you can react when it's over That and a very large crowd ... but she says she has it under control and that girl can do circles around her mother... so I have no doubt!

Savannah Claire:

http://www.denisenicole.com/images/vannaBW.jpghttp://www.denisenicole.com/images/vannaSummer.jpg

Thanks! I agree with meditation. I do not sit still well, lol But I do get down 2-3 times a week and am quiet. I was told to lay down on a floor or bed, but I found time in a tanning bed.... between the warm lights and buzzing sound, I almost fall asleep!

There are relaxation techniques for laying down, as well. I was referring to sitting postures, which allows the mind to be highly alert, while the body is profoundly rested. You'd be better able to "sit still well" also. I recommend mantra meditation for all humans. Please don't mind my unsolicited suggestion.

hryan77: aw But I haven't gotten them to agree to it yet anyhow .... people are a little offish about that up here lol

John V: Suggest Away!

Emilyrobin: Thank you

Yesterday:

MEAL 2: light tofu, straight up & banana, Pre-WO PP Shake

MEAL 3: PP Shake

MEAL 4: mock meat, broccoli

MEAL 5: bean tortilla w salsa (in kale instead of tortilla roll)

Yesterday Training:

Quads

Squats - 3x6 - not as heavy as I would like, lower back giving me a little grief, so cautious

Leg Press - 3x8 -legs were screaming nicely!

Shoulders

Shoulder Press - 3x6 (heavy) -eh ok

Side Lateral Raises - 3x12-15 -used db instead of plates like I usually do and liked the burn better

Lats:

Chins - 3x8 -can someone say ..... cheat chins! jeez!

Pullovers - 3x8 - nice and strong here, I love these!

Hammer Strength High Rows - 2x12-15

Feel it a bit today but not too badly.

Today:

MEAL 1- HF Cereal, tofu heated in little water

MEAL 2- Mock Meat, huge spinach salad, FF Dressing

Off to train in a few

They are looking for a Zumba Instructor here and I would love to do it badly! Talk about a fun class to teach .... but sadly the closest cert class is too far Designing new class for my aerobics students .... trying to come up with something a little different and hoping something will hit me... so far completely blank, lol

MEAL 3: Pre WO PP Shake

Quads

Sissy Squats 2x8-12 (lighter than Monday) - ooooooh, I have never incorporated these into my training before. Nice burn since I worked this group yesterday and oh so easy on my body

Shoulders

Shoulder Press - 3x8 (lighter than Monday)

Side Lateral Raises - 3x8 (lighter than Monday)

Lats:

Chins - 3x8 -again cheats!

Negative shrugs - 3x10

T Rows - 2x12-15

Bit of a headache after training today, organizing office is in order today and spending some time with my girls

MEAL 4: PP Shake & Sweet Potato soup

Well, the other shows I have done were in the old historic Redford Theater, down in Detroit. Last year was scary for me to go and check out the competition. It has shown how bad the economy of Detroit is with that theater. Even the front door had a crack in the glass. It was so sad. And the only ones showing up for prejudging were the participants and their families (I didn't stay for the evening show due to all the people hanging around outside the theater - didn't want to have to go thru them at night to get to the parking lot nearby - have to remember that I was all by myself going to this show).

Flint has been nice to me. My son will be going to Kettering University that is north of Flint, and I have done the Crim's 10 mile run for two years in a row now. They have a planetarium - laser show perhaps?, a couple of colleges (UofM-Flint and Mott), laser tag, and a massage school (don't know if that is doable because of the tanning). I don't know if the Farmer's market will be up and running by then either. Personally, I just go and hand out in a park when I do comps. Keeps me relaxed cause I get all anxious when I have to perform a routine at night. Just thinking about it makes me want to run away from it. For such a big girl I am a wimpy wuss .

Yeah, shooting for the Middleweight (145lbs) class in BB - if they will even have a class (last years only BB show I went to had only 3 girls in it! No classes at all, just all lumped into one).

hryan77: Yes, I have noticed, lol I'm not sure they know how to take me yet, but I just kinda piddle along and just be me and except them for them. The younger gals seem to be much more on board, so times are changin!

Gaia: Oh.... ya gotta hand out then! I am so freaking laid back at these things We'll all be in the same dressing area anyway. So def hook up before.

MEAL 5: was tofu straight up

Still not sleeping well I was soooo cold last night, so that prob didn't help. But at least I'm down and quiet.

20 min cardio today. No weights today.

I have a whole network of pole fitness friends mostly out the UK, these girls are amazing! I would totally love to work with some of them sometime. Anyway, Would love to get into some pole comps, but no there yet.

Here is a gal from AU, she is amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwX4LnqAgMs

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone-just wanted to chime in. I live in W. Bloomfield, MI. Denise, thanks for writing back a few months ago! Glad to see your comments on this forum.

Sorry I don't have a photo up yet-the forum said my photo files were too big-I am SO not computer literate....will have to work on that.

Denise THANK YOU for posting those listings of what you eat-I finally did figure out what "low carb, high protein" looked like on a vegan diet. Glad to see I'm very close to how you eat. So, its just a matter of time, with consistent exercise, that results show....I gotta believe. I'm getting there!

I modeled in detroit area in my twenties (I'm 44 now, but most people think I'm 30, max, especially when I'm eatin' right and working out!) Have been thinking about trying to get back into it when I reach my goal size (size 4, 15% BF). anyway, glad to meet some fellow michiganders!!! Blessings, everyone! Theresa

Have you been to Inn Season Cafe in Royal Oak yet...if not check it out...one ofthe few vegan restaurants around here.

Def will check it out! I'm getting a lot of my photographers and agents taking me out to dine and they always say "I don't know what to feed you" lol So they need suggestions... they don't want to be "wining and dining me" and my choice on the menu is only a garden salad! So they are very understanding and sweet ... and almost all of them are fearful of making a major faux pas so stick to veg themselves while dining with me. Knowing the area better will allow me to have some suggestions when setting things up.

Theresa: welcome to the board!!

Robert: Doing very well Hun *kiss*

Been amazingly swamped and suddenly have a wave of shoots ahead of me. So much so that I am having to choose who to work with, just hope I am picking the right projects! Had several shoots last week and have the Detroit Fashion show and rehearsal this week. Today I am trying to figure out the schedule beyond that.

Oh and had training for all the Personal Trainers for a new gym I am training at. And have to get back to an additional two who want to hire me on there. I'm not sure if their policies on training at additional gyms. However, the first did not make me sign an exclusivity contract and one of the others only offers classes (aerobics and such).

Off to train and then I'll get my training journal caught up!