Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 489 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Robert Cheeke's Bodybuilding Journal - 12 weeks out
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:31 am 
Site Admin

Yes, I threw some D's on it......

Today I trained shoulders. Tasha was there and spotted me using 85's in each hand over-head so that was cool.

I'm getting closer to some of my goals I set a while back. I'm at 85's for shoulder press, 105's for incline chest press and 110's for flat dumbbell press. I'm working up to 100, 110, 120 for those lifts which is even higher than my initial goals which I think were 90, 100, 110.

Workout today went like this.

Lateral Raises
5 sets x 15 reps with 12.5's-20's

Front Raises
3 sets x 15 reps with 15's

Overhead dumbbell press
42.5's x 10
42.5's x 15
52.5's x 10
60's x 8
75's x 6
80's x 6 with spot from Tasha
85's x 5 with spot from Tasha

I should be doing 90's soon, 85's weren't too bad. She gave me a lift off and helped with about 2-3 reps per set. So each set I got 2-3 clean ones unassisted and then as I would struggle she'd kick in and boost me to the top for full contraction. 85's are the heaviest I think I've used for that exercise. But soon 90's and then probably 100's isn't too far off for shoulders....a lot of that is just mental...I'm not afraid of 100's anymore for any exercise because I can manage heavier ones like 105s and 110's for chest and 120's for shrugs, etc. I don't fear then and will even go after 110's for chest without a spotter.

I super-setted each shoulder press with shrugs with the same dumbbells before racking them.

Barbell Smith Machine overhead press
45 on each side x 6-8 reps

Dumbbell Shrugs

120s x 15
120s x 12
120s x 10

Machine over-head (behind the neck angle) press
110 x 10
160 x 10
180 x 6
200 (whole stack) x 6

Then I rode the bike for 15 minutes. I could have gone longer but I showered at the gym before the workout to wash off some tanning stuff, then worked out for over an hour, then did some cardio and Tasha was there too, training while I was showering, etc. and I was getting hungry, so I figured 2 hours was enough (90 min training). I thought about going back to do some cardio tonight but I worked on other things like eating, catching up on some phone calls, etc.

I went to a Darwin Day presentation about the domestication of dogs today at Portland State University and it was really cool.

Tasha made some awesome bean, rice, tofu, broccoli, avocado thing today...as well as oats and now she has something else she's making in the kitchen but I'm not even sure what it will be, so I will be surprised :) Yay for extra help with food!!!!!!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:02 am 
Stegosaurus

Yeah We through up some mutha ........ d's on it !

Great spotting you today Dry. Keep at it, you're getting strong :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:18 am 
Site Admin

Today was my 5th day in a row training. Normally I train 2 days on, 1 day off, 3 days on , 1 or 2 days off, etc. But I've kept busy at the gym, have been eating and sleeping and recovering well enough to keep going.

I woke up at 8AM per my alarm to get to the gym....I saw a text message from my trainer to see if I could come in at 10AM. I had planned on 9AM on my own, but he invited me in to train with him, so I did. I responded via text and said that arms are on my schedule but that Chest was 5 days ago and may be OK....he replied with one word, "chest."

So that is what it was. :)

My week has been:

Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Legs
Wednesday - Back
Thursday - Shoulders
Friday - Chest

Obviously I missed arms in there but trained them all the while training chest, back and shoulders, but I think I'll go back for a 6th day in a row tomorrow to hit arms and then take a day off and then do more of a 3 on, 1 off schedule for now on.

Chest went like this:

Decline Bench press for warm-up
95 x 30
145 x 25
165 x 15
165 x 12

Incline Dumbbell Chest Press
60s x 12
70s x 10
90s x 6
100's x 4

Flat Dumbbell Chest Press
90's x 6
100's x 5
100's x 5

Peck Dec
140 x 10
140 x 10
140 x 10

Dips

Bodyweight x 15-20
Bodyweight x 15-20
Bodyweight x 15-20

I also did 30 push-ups or so.

Then I hopped on the stationary bike for 30 minutes.

I came back to the gym in the evening and did 66 minutes of cardio:

22 minutes on the bike, 22 minutes on the stairmaster and 22 minutes on the rowing machine. I had never used the rowing machine before in all my years of training but enjoyed it and will use it in future sessions. I think I get the most out of the stair-stepper, of all the cardio machines.....but I will start playing basketball, hiking and cycling with Lean and Green and Tasha when it gets warmer as some of my forms of cardio.

I'm 1 point heavier than last week and about 10 pounds above what I'll be on contest day.

We got a bunch more support in the form of paypal payments, checks in the mail, encouraging words, and t-shirt orders as well as some DVD sales so that is great and it makes a huge difference.

Tasha and I just finished a grocery shopping trip and we got some great foods to prepare for the next 2 weeks.

I'm quite tired so likely off to bed soon. Arms tomorrow.

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:29 am 
Manatee

Looking strong, Robert. The db overheads are particularly impressive - especially so now that you're closing in on 90s/100s. I think the only guy I've seen strict pressing 90's and 100s is a 300+ lb strongman competitor.

I've been doing a lot more arm training myself lately, I attribute that partly to reading your journal so much lately :)

I'd be interested in buying a t-shirt, especially if it supports the cause. I saw the white ones with the "Healthy Food Defines You" on the back, that one looks pretty cool. Do you have any of those in xl or (ideally) xxl?

Thanks,
Eric

The best supplement for someone who is not eating enough and is therefore not recovering is more food.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:41 am 
Site Admin

ralst wrote:
Looking strong, Robert. The db overheads are particularly impressive - especially so now that you're closing in on 90s/100s. I think the only guy I've seen strict pressing 90's and 100s is a 300+ lb strongman competitor.

I've been doing a lot more arm training myself lately, I attribute that partly to reading your journal so much lately :)

I'd be interested in buying a t-shirt, especially if it supports the cause. I saw the white ones with the "Healthy Food Defines You" on the back, that one looks pretty cool. Do you have any of those in xl or (ideally) xxl?

Thanks,
Eric

Hey Eric,

Thanks man!

You know what....I'm having more fun than ever in the gym.....if you look at my journal from a year ago or two years ago or before that when I didn't even have a journal, I wasn't having a lot of fun, I was only in there every once in a while, I was injured, interested in other things, etc. It's just part of my personality, I have so many interests....but right now...I'm having the most fun in the gym since 2003 when I trained with one of my best friends, the guy who got me into bodybuilding.

So now, I can't wait to get in the gym, in fact I went twice today :)

As for the shoulder dumbbells, I know I could have done 90's yesterday and I almost did them but stayed with 85s because my shoulders were burning out and I figured I'd get better reps, greater range of motion just using 85s. I'll be at 90s soon and perhaps I'll achieve my vision of triples, the 100, 110, 120, getting that 100 lb dumbbell for shoulder press. That would be pretty sweet.

As for shirts.....yes, I have XL in the classic version, white with blue text and I also have 1 XXL shirts in royal blue with white text (also classic version), and I have an XL long sleeved light blue with white text classic shirt, and then I have XL and XXL in the newer shirts with the logo that is on most of the shirts (the logo from the top of the forum) and those are in white with blue text.

They are $24.90 with shipping, so that is the full price and they can be paid via paypal to robert@veganbodybuilder.com or via check.

Thanks! Let me know what you'd like.

I'm actually using all of my income on this competition. All the money I get from my various jobs goes into making this competition happen for Me, Lean and Green and Octopussoir. Each of them has also stepped up and have found ways to fundraise. I'm not just using the money I make from selling shirts and DVDs and things like that but my paycheck from Vega, and all other sources of income. I'm putting everything on the line for this day that we're all working towards. I've contacted media and we may even have Tom Platz as a judge of our contest!

Thanks for helping us make it happen.

Robert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:14 am 
Site Admin

Today was my 6th day in a row training with weights. I usually do 2 or 3 days in a row max with a rest day to keep recovering.

But lately, I've been sleeping a lot and eating a lot, supplementing, etc. and have felt really good with this type of training. I'm also stronger than ever and my physique is looking good in a variety of ways. I'm still not as ripped as I want to be but I don't compete until the last week in April which is still some time away.

Anyway, on Valentine's Night Tasha, thendanisays, and Lean and Green and I went to the gym. We started off by playing a bit of basketball.....Tasha has a great shot and was dribbling the ball between her legs and showing some mad skills. It was cool.

After a bit of B-Ball warm-up we hit the weights.....at first I was feeling a bit out of it. I was jumping up and touching the rim (I can still dunk a basketball and dunked back in November to show someone) so I was a bit light-headed when I got to the weight room.

But after a few sets of bicep curls, I was back to normal. Since this was my 6th day in a row, and it was 10:30 at night I decided to just train biceps....I ended up doing about 8 sets of triceps too and some sets of abs.

It went like this:

Hammer Strength Machine Bicep curls to get myself into it:
45 x 15
45 x 15
55 x 15
65 x 10
65 x 10

Seated alternating bicep curls (didn't feel like standing yet)
30s x 8
30s x 8
30s x 8

Seated alternating hammer curls
35s x 8
35s x 8
35s x 8

EZ Curl standing curls (both arms)
85 x 7
80 x 7
80 x 7
70 x 15

Standing Hammer Curls
50s x 8
55s x 8
60s x 6

Tricep rope extensions
80 x 20
80 x 20
80 x 20
100 x 12
100 x 12

Push-ups

(160 total)

Some sit-ups and crunches and a bit of flexing my abs in the mirror.

Lean and Green was doing 375 lb deadlifts, no straps and was looking swol.

All 4 of us had a good time.

I came home and pounded 1000 calories before bed...usually I don't eat that much right before bed but the workout went so late and I was very hungry, I just ate.

Tomorrow is an off day for sure....but I think I'll get back to weights again on Monday.

I want my name to be "Mr. Consistency" and that is exactly what I have been for months with a good balance of consistent workouts and quality rest.

I may take 2 days in a row off to rest...that is what I did last weekend and then my first workout after that was the strongest workout of my life..multiple sets of dumbbell press with 110's. I've been doing cardio too.... 90+ minutes yesterday...starting to get a bit leaner but still heavier than I was last week...so things seem to be working well.

I have a very busy March....traveling all over...Florida, D.C., L.A, Seattle, etc. But I am committed to my diet and training amidst all the travel.

RC

P.S. I just posted the entire inventory of clothing in the photos section....please consider getting an item for yourself. I'm using it as a fundraiser for this contest that the 3 of us are doing in Arizona...we still have a ways to go, but we're doing well with our fundraising efforts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:11 am 
Site Admin

Today was an off day from the gym but I went bowling so I still did something athletic. I bowled a 116 and a 112 :)

I had some good calories today, great food that Tasha made from smoothie to quinoa and other things. I also had Vega on top of that, Pro Bars, and other food that I prepared myself. But for the most part..Tasha hooks me up with my meals, which is greatly appreciated.

I'm up late again (as usual). I've been promoting the VB&F clothing on facebook and myspace doing some fundraising and it has been going very well.

Off to bed now......back at it tomorrow. Gym workouts 6 of 7 days was a lot for me. I'll hit 5 days of weights this week.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:11 pm 
Elephant

Hey bro keep it up!! Man seeing that you are eating all that food is insane! I think with all those probars you are trying to make me lazy with food. Its like "cook" vs "eat a probar" the obvious choice is... Im cooking more so Im not pounding like 3K cals of probars a day. Lol. Cause boy are they sure good!! Dont like the chocolate chips much.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:31 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, I gotta take it easy on the ProBars from time to time...being 350-400 calories each but I figure they are primarily whole food ingredients so it's not too bad....the carbs are high but I'm not too worried about it 10 weeks out. If we're talking 4 or 5 weeks out I'll be a little more worried but right now I enjoy them.

I am eating quite a bit but my metabolism is crazy...it takes a lot for me to put on size, mass, fat, etc. So I can get away with eating more than most. I'm also doing cardio these days so I figure the more I train the more I can eat and the more I eat the more cardio I can do, then then the more cardio I do the hungrier I am and then the more I allow myself to eat :)

Something like that but it works. I am eating a ton of whole foods.....grains, beans, veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, etc. Then Vega on top of that, creatine, glutatmine, etc.

Time for breakfast.....I see a ProBar next to my computer....hmm......I had oats the past couple of mornings....maybe it is fruit and ProBar time. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:00 am 
Site Admin

Tonight, Tasha, Lean and Green and I went to the gym.

Lean and Green and I trained back.....also earlier today I met another forum member for the first time, another Portland resident new to the forum.

Today's theme was "12 reps" I didn't go as heavy as normal but did about 12 reps each set...some only 10, but in general it was a 10-12 rep day...not super heavy but a full and fairly slow range of motion day with squeezing and really feeling things moving.

Back started like this:

Warm-ups

3 sets of 20 back extensions

3 sets of 20 machine rows

3 sets of 20 machine lat pull-downs

Actual workout:

Narrow Grip Pull-ups

One-arm dumbbell rows
65s x 12
65s x 12
80s x 10
80s x 10
80s x 10
80s x 10
80s x 10

T-bar rows
Wide Grip
100 x 12
110 x 12
120 x 12

Narrow Grip
100 x 12
120 x 12
120 x 12

Bent-over rows
135 x 12
135 x 12
135 x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10

Cable rows
120 x 15
135 x 12
150 x 12
165 x 12
180 x 10
Drop Set
120 x 10
90 x 20

Then I rode the bike for 35 minutes.

After that we went shopping for cheap food.....gotta eat but also low on funds....but we got some good stuff and Tasha is making most of my meals from scratch. I'm also using VEGA everyday and ProBars (another sponsor) everyday, and making some food myself...but in general Tasha is making my food and had some creative stuff today with potatoes and avocado.

Great stuff!

Solid back day, I like the 10-12 rep range. I switch it up with 4-8 rep range workouts too. It's a good balance for me as I progress. I trained 7 of the past 8 days with weights, but have slept quite a bit and recovered well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:54 am 
Stegosaurus

We should be very proud of ourselves.
You forgot to mention how you weren't feeling 100% and you wanted to work out on something lighter then
back, like your abs. But you worked on your muscle group that you were scheduled to work on. And
I doubt cardio was on your list to do after wards.

Great Job Dry, keep it up. I'll see you tonight :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:30 am 
Manatee

Robert, sounds like your workouts are going good. :D Can you elaborate on your diet a bit? I am sort of going by feel on my diet here since this is my first meat free contest. I knew how to dial it in before I mad the switch, but let's face it there is not a lot out there on pre-contest vegetarian diets. Most of the competitors I know tell me to "give it up" or "You can't enough protein" or the litany that I have repeated in years past to competitors who said they were thinking about making a change.

Thanks--Steve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:52 am 
Site Admin

Hey Steve,

Yeah, I'll try to share more about diet....so far so good. I get most of my food made for me by my roommate Tasha, on the forum. If you like soy, (some don't) I found 0 carb tofu that has 48 grams per package. So each package is 48 grams protein, 0 grams carbs. It's only $1.19 at Trader Joes, and is organic. I will bake it and put salsa (fresh cut, low carb) on it to add flavor or use other things to add flavor to it without having to add much sodium, carbs, calories, etc.

Right now I'm eating a lot of quinoa, beans, rice, tofu, potatoes, yams, oats, broccoli, other greens, fruits, Vega and other powders and supplements, some bars, and a variety of other foods, focusing on whole foods, less processed stuff, almost no breads, no pastas, etc. I'm really enjoying grains, greens and legumes in meals. I just like it....quinoa, kale, beans and tempeh, or something like rice, beans, avocado, broccoli. Those kinds of things.

I'll try to share more soon too....I'm keeping a super consistent training log but it's harder to keep up logging the nutrition side of it though, perhaps even more interesting.

Today I trained legs.

I warmed up by running up flights of stairs, then I did about 3 sets each on the lying leg curl and seated leg extensions as additional warm-ups.

High Volume Day - High Reps

Leg Extensions
110 x 25
150 x 20
190 x 15
230 x 8
190 x 15
190 x 12

Lying leg curls
70 x 12
70 x 12
90 x 10
90 x 10
90 x 10
90 x 10

Hack Squats
90 x 20
180 x 15
270 x 15
360 x 15
360 x 15
410 x 15
270 x 15
180 x 20
90 x 20
90 x 20

Lunges
Loop around the gym
1.25 loops around gym
1.5 loops around gym
1.75 loops around gym
2 loops around gym
2.25 loops around gym

Then I used the rowing machine (upper body cardio) for 22 minutes. It wasn't long and I had places to go....but I got in 35 minutes yesterday and last week 66 minutes of cardio after my workout. Soon I'll be consistently doing about 40 minutes after each workout.

Last night I was hungry after the back session and cardio and took in 1600 calories immediately post-workout. Today was 1200 calories immediately post workout and another 1000 or so 2 hours later....doing the cardio makes me hungrier but I feel like that will help me keep muscle while I continue to burn.....soon I won't be able to eat as much but now, 9.5 weeks out, I'm doing OK.....still training 5 days a week, doing cardio pretty much the same, 5 days a week and eating whole foods, taking supplements and I'm looking fairly good for 2.5 months away. I look forward to seeing what I look like in March and of course in April when we're only weeks away!

A special thanks to Tasha for making meals.

A special thanks to everyone who has been buying shirts or DVDs to help support our efforts to eat well, supplement well and make our way to Phoenix, AZ in less than 10 weeks. It's a huge help! I'm sponsoring all of us to get out there, and each of us is doing our own forms of fundraising and all competitors have been contributing well.

We're getting there and we appreciate your support!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:43 pm 
Mastodon

Nice leg work, super strong!

335 Squat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:58 pm 
Elephant

This is the way to do it RC!! I'm loving the consistency.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 489 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 33  Next