finally, i'm starting to maintain an online training journal.

i train with one day rest in between my workouts

day one (chest+bizeps) (weightxrepetitionsxsets)

dumbbell bench press 4,25kgx12x2; 4,75kgx8x3

barbell bench press 13,25kgx12x2; 15kgx8x3

barbell curl 8,75kgx12x2; 8,75kgx8x3

alternate hammercurls 4,75kgx12x2; 4,75kgx8x3

concentration curls 3,5kgx12x2; 4kgx8x3

dumbbell flyes 3,5kgx12x2 (couldn't do anymore, normally +3,5kgx8x3)

the weights may seem laughable to you, but i'm a skinny guy and need to increase my strength slowly.

if you have any tips or proposals, feel free to post, thanks!

Edited by lelle

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

day 2 (back)

barbell shrugs (9,5kgx12x2:12kgx8x3)

upright barbell row (7kgx12x2;9,5kgx8x3)

pull ups (3) <- haha a girl could do more

bent over barbell row (7kgx12x2;9,5kgx8x3)

one arm dumbbell row (5,5kgx12x2;8kgx8x3)

deadlifts (17kgx12x2; 27kgx8x3)

i decided to do the exercises for my abs on a seperate day, so i can do more various ones. do you think this is a good idea?

now that my arms feel a lot better i started working out again, not the full agenda but it went alright.

(warmup: 25 crunches; 30 pushups)

dumbbell bench press 2x12x6,5kg;3x8x8kg

barbell bench press 2x12x22kg;3x8x29,5kg

barbell curls 2x12x10,5;3x8x12kg

alternate hammer curls 2x12x6,5kg; 1x8x8kg

hope that my arms (especially trizeps) will be completely fine next time i work out.

• 2 weeks later...

Good for you. Keep it up. You will be surprised what you can build up to. I remeber shoccking a few guys in the gym with my weights. SO long as you don't leave it any longer than 72 hrs between a workout then you will continue to make gains.

Cheers

Charmaine

• 3 months later...

for me, this is very embarrassing but i think i need that to push myself a little bit harder.

from now on i'll post a picture of myself every 1-2 weeks so that you can tell me if i made some progress or not. in the last couple of weeks i was able to increase my weights regularly but due to my bad eating habits (low protein intake) the progress was very tiny i would say.

alright, here's pic number one (and please don't make fun of me )

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/lelle83/IMG_0596.jpg

There's nothing to make fun of. You look better than most people, better slim than obese.

(and if someone laughs at you, i take Rob, Johnathan, Topher and Kollision and visit the guy )

Please post your schedule as well. If you wish, i can advise you a little on planning your own program.

I'd suggest to post your workouts everyday for motivation but post pictures only every 6 weeks. After two weeks you cannot expect great visible results (only when you're dieting).

Did the grip thingies arrive already? I sent them a week ago.

And, i like your new avatar

thanks so much daywalker!

hmm seems like you didn't get my message on yahoo.

the grip thingies arrived several days ago, thanks!

(don't forget to send me your bank account so that i can send you the money)

my workout for today was: (kg-rep-sets)

chest+bizeps

dumbbell bench press 5,5-12-2 6,5-8-2, 8-10-1

barbell bench press 20-12-2, 21-8-2, 22,5-5-1

barbell curls 9,5-12-2, 10,5-8-2, 11,5-5-1

alternate hammer curls 5,5-12-2, 6,5-8-2, 8-6-1

concentration curls 4-12-2, 5-8-2, 6-5-1

flyes 3,5-12-2, 4,5-8-2, 7-10-1

You're welcome, it's only 3 Euro or something.

How often do you workout per week?

I think as a beginner, you should focus on core exercises, you're doing too much and probably not often enough.

A good basic routine to start with and see where it takes you before adjusting it is the following:

Day 1:

Bench Press or Dips (decide, but do the same for six weeks before changing!).

Barbell Row.

Squat.

Crunches.

Day 2:

Pull ups (or Lat machine if you can't dopull ups at the beginning).

Overhead press (Barbell, standing, or Dumbells).

Deadlift.

Calves.

Have 1-2 resting days between each workout, not more, not less.

Do a cardio warm up for 10-15 minutes. Then 3 warm-up sets on the first exercise. Do 2 heavy working sets per exercise. Heavy means a reasonably heavy weight you can use with PROPER FORM and not too fast for about 8 reps without reaching muscle failure (stop one or two reps short of muscle failure). Increase your weight every third workout. If it's too easy, increase the number of reps to 10 or 12.

Stretch the worked muscles at the end of your workout (biceps and triceps, too, though you didn't work them directly). Then eat something

If it seems not enough, you can work abs and calves every workout.

It may sound as if it's not enough, but you concentrate on excellent exercises that build strength and overall muscle mass - there are no muscles that are not worked with these few movements. I will go back to a very similar routine in december, when it's bulking time again

Try this for two months and i bet you'll be stronger and bigger.

Have fun in the gym,

Daywalker

Your pictures aren't showing up on my computer, but there's nothing laughable about the weights you're at. The fact that you're working at improving is what's important. When I first started working out I was putting up about about the same weights as you are and I was really skinny and couldn't even do one pullup - now I'm almost 50 pounds heavier and I did 100 pullups in a day recently pretty easily. You'll get there!

daywalker,

i work out 3 times a week so that i get enough rest in between.

thanks for the basic routine, i'll start with it on saturday and tell you how it worked.

there's only a problem with doing pull ups, at home i had a pull-up bar which i could mount at the door, but in my new apartment the doors are broader so that this doesn't work. maybe i can get a used pull-up-device, whatever it is called for cheap money.

willpeavy,

thanks for your kind words. if you want to i can email you the picture so you can have an impression what the skinniest guy here on the board is looking like

great idea with posting my meals. i'll start right now.

today i had:

1 flapjack bar

1 litre of black currants juice

2 big servings of wholemeal pasta with self-made tomatoe sauce and tofu

stripes

1 bag of crisps in school

1 bottle of malt beer

which is about 2300 kcal.

i think i should intake at least 3000kcal a day including ~80-100 g of protein. my protein intake is my biggest problem. foods rich in protein make me full soooo quickly and that feeling lasts all day. so i have to decide between high caloric food and food high in protein which is quite bad i guess

alright, enough for today - i need sleep badly.

thanks again for your help!

You train at home?

What gear do you have? Bench i guess. Can you do dips? It's an excellent exercise.

my protein intake is my biggest problem. foods rich in protein make me full soooo quickly and that feeling lasts all day. so i have to decide between high caloric food and food high in protein which is quite bad i guess

The easiest way would be to eat high carb during the day (healthy, wholesome vegan food, nothing special) and add protein in the evening (tofu, seitan, soy protein etc.). Maybe some nuts an hour before sleeping, too. A muesli with soymilk is perfect for any time of the day.

yap i train at home. i've got a bench with various equipment.

hm, dips... is there a way to improvise a possibility to do them?

ah okay, hm maybe i can overbear myself to have a protein shake in the evening even if i'm already full.

alright, time for school, then weekend, yay!

today i had:

1 flapjack bar

1 litre of black currants juice

2 big servings of wholemeal pasta with self-made tomatoe sauce and tofu

stripes

1 bag of crisps in school

1 bottle of malt beer

which is about 2300 kcal.

i think i should intake at least 3000kcal a day including ~80-100 g of protein. my protein intake is my biggest problem. foods rich in protein make me full soooo quickly and that feeling lasts all day. so i have to decide between high caloric food and food high in protein which is quite bad i guess

Do you ever eat mixed nuts? That stuff is loaded with calories and protein

I ordered myself a skipping rope for warming up. i usually warmed up by doing sit-ups and push ups, but jump-roping is far better, isn't it?

hope i'm able to work out today because i'm soooo busy with work for school but my eating this weekend was quite good, yay!

alright,

warmup: 50 pushups (new personal best)

my lower back hurt a bit while doing the last 20 ones

dumbbell bench press 6,5kg*8*3 8kg*8*2

new personal best

barbell row 9,5*8*3 10,5*8*2

had trouble to keep my back straight, otherwise it worked fine

squats 14,5*8*3

had to quit after the first 3 sets because i started to see stars and my skinny legs didn't work anymore

crunches 10

ouch! hope i can increase to 20 next time i work out

thats it for today, only one question left.

which exercises should i do for stretching?

now i need a bath and a huge meal afterwards

warmup: 50 pushups (new personal best)

Way to go!

my lower back hurt a bit while doing the last 20 ones

You have to flex your abs when you do push ups and concentrate on keeping yourself stiff and straight.

barbell row 9,5*8*3 10,5*8*2

had trouble to keep my back straight, otherwise it worked fine

That's the same for me. Keeping the back straight IS the hardest part on that exercise! That's why i do it AFTER pull ups, that way the lats are already a bit tired and i don't need such a heavy weight for rowing.

squats 14,5*8*3

had to quit after the first 3 sets because i started to see stars and my skinny legs didn't work anymore

That's normal You pushed it hard, it's a good sign of your motivation Three sets are enough, by the way!

How heavy is your bar? How do you get 14,5kg?

crunches 10

ouch! hope i can increase to 20 next time i work out

Why, ten is not bad. It's a sign you do them correctly Maybe two sets á ten next time.

thats it for today, only one question left.

which exercises should i do for stretching?

Stretch every muscle right after you worked it.

thanks again daywalker!

my bar weights 7kg, i added 2x2,5(5) and 2x1,25(2.5) in weights

just finished my bath, now its time for a huge meal

today i had:

2 vegan döner (added beans, salad, onions and vegan tzaziki, hm delicious)

3 bottles of malt beer (yummy and lots of calories)

and now i will have a huge serving of wholemeal spaghetti with an aaaawesome sauce

my muscles already sore, i think thats a good sign...

do you have any idea how i can do dips and pullups without special equipment? otherwise i would buy myself a used device or something like that.