Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joel's training journal
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:19 pm 
Gorilla

Quote:
Great to know about that the Chocolate Sun Warrior goes well with blueberries
thanks for posting your meals

Yeah it's really nice, then again I have some weird taste buds!

Quote:
dude training with thses guys is going to get you brolic!

The only problem is the others' I train with want to train like bodybuilders and I want to start training more like a powerlifter.

Quote:
Although i found myself staring at your meal after meal and looking at key words to imagine what food food will be like after the comp. No use in dwelling, gotta stay focused

Your meal plan and frequency in meals is excellent. A real classic bber plan; the results tell the tale I always agree, stic to old skool and it will never let you down. Lots of meals, high protein, etc etc...

i love reading this journal. seems like it should win an award for the most well received new blog within first week of posts

To be honest, apart from a few changes I eat like this pre contest, there's nothing to be envious of, it still tastes like diet food for the most part!
There are more interesting blogs than mine, you're too kind mate :)
I do enjoy writing out my diet and training though, I at least feel more accountable for what I do, rather than just forgetting like I have been

Anyway, yesterday was a day off from training, either way it would have been a struggle because my legs are still very sore.
My diet was pretty good, I drop some of the aminos but the rest is similar.
Meal 1- Sunwarrior protein, teaspoon of almond, brazil, cashew butter. Glass of parsley, celery and pineapple juice with 10g spirulina.
Meal 2- 120g tempeh, mung bean sprouts, tablespoon avocado oil
Meal 3- Lebanese herb pizza, just with oregano and some salad in it. 1/2 serve of Nitrofusion
Meal 4- Lentil burger, alfalfa sprouts, beetroot, 1/2 avocado
Meal 5- Lima bean soup- more like a stew with carrots, celery, onion. Added some dulse flakes to it. 2 chickpea patties
Meal 6- Nitrofusion shake with blueberries, spirulina, strawberries, flaxseed sprouts and lots of ice. Kind of like a slurpee but high in protein

That was it for the day, glad to have a day out of the gym.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

I am going to love reading this journal!

I'm in pre-contest mode right now and though I've compete 7 times, I have sooooooo much to learn!

Great to see this journal on here!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:03 pm 
Gorilla

I have learnt a lot from this forum in general, there are so many people here with all kinds of interesting knowledge.
I think you have a lot to teach me Robert, fitting in all you do and still managing to diet and compete is very impressive.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:16 pm 
Gorilla

Had a very brief workout yesterday as I had to work at my gym in the evening after I finished my other job.
A bit of a chest and back workout again- they are my weakest bodyparts so I hit them more frequently.
I tried to push my chest hard as I don't think I'll be able to make it to MVS on the weekend due to the Aussie Pro Grand Prix show which I have to attend for work. Even though I bodybuild I'm not all that interested in seeing the top pro bodybuilders, not something I ever wish to try and attain.
Anyway I only did a few exercises as I had about 30 mins to train.
Dumbell bench press - 20kg x 20
30kg x 8
45kg x 5 x 3 sets
Bentover rows on bench - 60kg x 10 x 3 sets - I stand on a bench so I can lower the bar right down.
Incline bench press - 115kg x 3 x 3 sets
T-bar rows - 85kg x 10 x 3 sets
It was short and sharp but I got a good pump out of it.
I'll start getting some pics up online here, I just have to work out how to do it!
Diet was a bit of a refeed day, I figured I won't get much of a chance to eat on the day of the pro show, just quickly fitting in a lentil burger or a protein shake.
Meal 1- Nitrofusion shake, strawberries, flax sprouts, spirulina, glass of spinach, parsley and celery juice
Meal 2- 2 packets of vege chips- I could eat them all the time if I didn't stop myself
Meal 3- Lentil burger, beetroot, corn, mung bean sprouts
Meal 4- Tempeh, beetroot, alfalfa sprouts, quinoa
Meal 5- BCAA's, spirulina, no coffee today
Meal 6- Seaweed salad, 3 sushi rolls with avocado
Meal 7- Spelt pasta, tomato sauce, parmazano vegan parmesan cheese. Another packet of vege chips, 99% cocoa dark chocolate.

I will be back on my diet again today but yesterday was fun.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:32 pm 
Stegosaurus

Forgot to mention I love your Got Muscle shirt.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:49 am 
Elephant

joelk wrote:

The only problem is the others' I train with want to train like bodybuilders and I want to start training more like a powerlifter.

what would you change about your training so that you would train "more like a powerlifter"?
i'm thinking about doing my training more powerlifting style, too...

The Squat:

“It's a great excuse to wear a big ass belt that makes you look less fat.”

- Dave Tate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:12 am 
Elephant

I'm kind of in that line too acctually. I always loved low reps in the 4-6 range and I'm convinced that workouts should center around good classic compound excersises and who doesn't love the deadlift, squat and bench? Too bad it seems that I'm gonna spend my summer at a place with no gym at all which means I can't get a gym membership now cause then I will pay for 3 months that I don't use at all.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:22 am 
Stegosaurus

Are you thinking of olympic lifts? I think these really helped me increase my strength because you can put up a lot more weight this way.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:48 pm 
Gorilla

I do some Olympic lifts, mainly power cleans and some push presses.
The training I am moving towards is more compound movement based, with most emphasis on the basic lifts and a few assistance movements.
I have to remember that I am a bodybuilder first and foremost, so I don't think I could do a straight Westside program and ignore some muscle groups that enhancethe aesthetic side of bodybuilding.

Saturday I went to the Aussie Pro Grand prix, it was decent but nothing spectacular- I did manage to meet Lee Priest and get a photo, that was the highlight of the day. I didn't keep track of my meals, I know I ate three meals of tempeh and salad and the other few were protein shakes I packed, I was at the show all day so fitting in meals wasn't so easy.

Yesterday I had a workout with another mate of mine, I wanted to train shoulders and he wanted to train legs, so we did both.
I managed to equal my deadlift pb and almost get my squat pb, my back felt ok, probably because I trained shoulders first and managed to warm up properly- something I tend to ignore.
Seated dumbell shoulder press- 15kg x 20
25kg x 6
36kg x 5 x 3 sets - I don't use back support, just sit on a flat bench so I have to brace myself. I can't go anywhere near as heavy as I would if I had back support but I feel it work my delts well.
Clean and press - 75kg x 2 x 4 sets
Bentover lateral raise - 15kg x 12 x 3 sets
Squats - 100kg x 10
140kg x 4
180kg x 1
Sissy squats - Bodyweight x 5 x 3 sets - We used one of those benches that let you hook your feet in and it stabilises from behind the knee (hard to describe) we were laying back parrallel to the ground, kind of like and extension movement.
Deadlifts - 140kg x 3
180kg x 1 - tried 190 but failed, I'll go straight for it next time
That was it, I feel exhausted today.
Diet was good, it seems pretty repetitive though
Meal 1- Nitrofusion protein, Biotest superfood, strawberries, kiwi fruit (all blended together)
Meal 2- Tempeh, broccoli, 1/2 avocado
Meal 3- Lentil pattie, mixed salad, beetroot, macadamia oil
Meal 4- Lima bean soup
Meal 5- Pre workout- espresso, BCAA, spirulina
Meal 6- Sunwarrior protein, quinoa
Meal 7- Tempeh, broccoli, macadamia oil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:24 am 
Elephant

joelk wrote:
Saturday I went to the Aussie Pro Grand prix, it was decent but nothing spectacular- I did manage to meet Lee Priest and get a photo, that was the highlight of the day.

nice! wanna share? ;)

The Squat:

“It's a great excuse to wear a big ass belt that makes you look less fat.”

- Dave Tate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:57 pm 
Gorilla

Quote:
nice! wanna share?

Lee was at the Body Ripped booth (his sponsor) signing autographs and selling his merchandise.
I'm a mate of one of the reps for Body Ripped and he allowed another mate and me to spend a bit of time with Lee after the signings were done.
Honestly I didn't really know what to say, I've seen his training videos and have read a lot about his diet and stuff (not that I particularly care, it's basic bodybuilding 'staple' food, nothing healthy about it) so we just made some small talk about him living here in Australia again and also how his injured bicep is healing.
My mate took a photo of us and I'll post it up when he emails it through to me.
Lee seemed the nicest of the pros there, maybe because he wasn't dieting but it just seemed the other U.S. guys (Kai Green, Toney Freeman, Rusty Jeffers and Silvio Samuel - he's not from the U.S.) didn't particularly want to be there.
The bench press show was good, one massive guy lifted 325kg- with a bench suit but still impressive and Kai Green's posing routine was very impressive.
It was a good day all in all.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:10 pm 
Elephant

joelk wrote:
Quote:
nice! wanna share?

Lee was at the Body Ripped booth (his sponsor) signing autographs and selling his merchandise.
I'm a mate of one of the reps for Body Ripped and he allowed another mate and me to spend a bit of time with Lee after the signings were done.
Honestly I didn't really know what to say, I've seen his training videos and have read a lot about his diet and stuff (not that I particularly care, it's basic bodybuilding 'staple' food, nothing healthy about it) so we just made some small talk about him living here in Australia again and also how his injured bicep is healing.
My mate took a photo of us and I'll post it up when he emails it through to me.
Lee seemed the nicest of the pros there, maybe because he wasn't dieting but it just seemed the other U.S. guys (Kai Green, Toney Freeman, Rusty Jeffers and Silvio Samuel - he's not from the U.S.) didn't particularly want to be there.
The bench press show was good, one massive guy lifted 325kg- with a bench suit but still impressive and Kai Green's posing routine was very impressive.
It was a good day all in all.

Lee seems like he's a down to earth guy. He has seen the short side of the stick with a lot of supplement companies and endorsements(from what I can remember him saying). I loved it when a bunch of pro's were bound by contract to go on BB.com and post threads. Lee said he got a better pump from eating a bowl of Fruit Loops compared to taking Cell_tech and such. Man I laughed so hard. He also let the cat out of the bag when it comes to before and after photos. There was one in particular where he had his shirt off and was full of body hair and had his belly poking out. Then the After picture he was all clean cut, shredded and tanned. He stated that the photographer(or company) wanted him to look his worst in the before photo and to stick his gut out as far as he could... I was shocked to hear that at the time. Had heard rumors of such things, but to hear a pro come out and say it made it very realistic.

Keep postin in here Joel. You the man for drinking coffee everyday. LoL

Last edited by Octopussoir on Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:19 pm 
Gorilla

Quote:
Keep postin in here Joel. You the man for drinking coffee everyday. LoL

Yeah, just had one! It works better than BSN No-Xlode!!!
Lee gets himself in trouble because he is one of the few who doesn't kiss a*** to get endorsements, he is the man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:54 pm 
Gorilla

The last couple of days have been really busy with work so I haven't spent much time here or managed to get all my meals in properly. Training has been ok, I've started to focus on bringing my squat and bench numbers up, I'm taking it slowly with the deadlifts and will focus on them more down the track.
Mondays workout (16-3) was chest and back
Bench press - Bar x 15
60kg x 12
110kg x 5 x 5
Incline dumbell press - 50kg x 5 x 5
Reverse grip bench press - 90kg x 5 x 3 sets
Pullups - BW x 6 x 6
Reverse grip barbell rows - 100kg x 8 x 5 sets
Parallel grip chinups - BW x 6 x 6
Diet was pretty similar to usual, I just didn't have time to eat them at the frequency I usually do.

Yesterday was a leg session, starting a squat routine but as with most routines I do I tend to change it a little, felt pretty strong and the back isn't too bad now.
Squats - Bar x 20
60kg x 20
100kg x 8
155kg x 2 x 6 sets
175kg x 2 - needed a spot on the second rep, I know the spot helped despite my training partner saying he didn't help- they all say that!
Sissy squats - held 20 kg bar over my head like an overhead squat but used the sissy squat 'machine' to hold my legs in place. 10 reps x 4 sets
Step ups onto box - 65kg x 5 x 5 - 5 reps each leg per set, the box was about 3/4 of a metre high, worked the hamstrings well.
Leg press calf raise - 180kg x 10 x 6 sets
Roll outs for abdominals - 8 reps x 4 sets
Diet was a little more structured yesterday
Meal 1- Sunwarrior powder, flax meal, chocolate coconut butter, cocoa powder - made it into a fudge consistency and at a little for breakfast.
Meal 2- Lima bean stew with vegetables and ramen noodles
Meal 3- Tempeh with broad beans and alfalfa sprouts
Meal 4- Same as meal 3
Meal 5- BCAA's, spirulina, blueberries, espresso
Meal 6- Nitrofusion, kiwi fruit, pineapple, strawberries, all in the blender
Meal 7- 2 tofu sausage rolls, 50g dried Goji berries with cocoa nibs

I'm hoping I can bring my squat up to 200kg in the next couple of months with this program.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:04 pm 
Gorilla

Last night I trained with Noah from MVS and had a good session. We trained the bench, squat and some assistance exercises.
The workout was bench press - 60kg x 5
90kg x 3
110kg x 5 x 3 sets - needed a spot on one or two reps, not happy!!
One arm dumbell bench - 30kg x 6
40kg x 6 x 2 sets
Dumbell curls - 20kg x 6
22.5kg x 6 x 2 sets
Skullcrushers - 40kg x 6 x 3 sets
Squats - 60kg x 5
90kg x 3
125kg x 5 x 3 sets - 2nd day in a row I squatted and a mate wants to train legs tonight so I will be over them I think
We finished off with some deadlifts - 90kg x 5 x 3 sets
It was a good workout and we pushed eachother even though the weights weren't huge.
Diet was back on track for the most part
Meal 1 - Sunwarrior protein, added a teaspoon of chocolate coconut butter
Meal 2 - Lentil soup, 2 small rye rolls
Meal 3 - Lima bean stew
Meal 4 - Tempeh, beetroot, alfalfa sprouts, mixed greens, broad beans, broccoli, spinach
Meal 5 - Sunwarrior protein pre workout
Meal 6 - Small serving of protein fudge - Sunwarrior protein, cocoa powder, chocolate coconut butter, rolled flax seeds
Meal 7 - Lentil soup, broad beans, a few vine leaves with rice

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next