Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joel's training journal
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:22 pm 
Gorilla

Yeah there's a little bit of caffeine in it, it's enough for a bit of an energy rush but not like I get when I have coffee, which is probably a good thing.
The chocolate turns out just like dark chocolate, same consistency even with the protein powder in it. The fat content is pretty high but I keep sugars down in my diet so there are just fuel for me.

I had a couple of sessions over the weekend, still on my week of fives.
Saturday - Military press day.
Presses - Bar x 10
40kg x 6
65kg x 5
70kg x 5
72.5kg x 5
Dumbell bench press - 35kg x 3 x 6 sets
Dips - 20kg (held dumbell between ankles) x 6 x 4 sets
Skullcrushers - 45kg x 6 x 4 sets
Trunk twists - 10 x 3 sets

Sunday - Squat day
Squats - Bar x 10
60kg x 6
100kg x 3
125kg x 5
130kg x 5
135kg x 5
Deadlifts - 100kg + 2 bands x 2 x 6 sets
Split squats - 60kg x 6 x 4 sets
Pullups - 6 x 6 sets
Barbell curls - 45kg x 6 x 4 sets

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:34 pm 
Stegosaurus

I stay away from caffeine so I'm afraid to try it. I feel so much better since I stopped drinking caffeine. But I love VEGA products so im curious.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:04 pm 
Gorilla

There's not much caffeine in it, at least not compared to what I was having when I was drinking a lot of coffee.

I've had to have a forced lay off for a couple of weeks, my lower back is playing up a lot. I haven't had any problems for a while now but I guess all the heavy lifting has taken it's toll.
I've just trained once in the last week and it was just basically bodyweight exercises like pullups and dips which don't really aggravate the pain any further.
It should be good in another week or so, i just have to rest up a bit.
Diet has still been good, have been sticking to moderate protein with a little bit more sugars from dried fruits and stuff, fats are lower now too, mostly coming from avocados, nuts, olives and dark chocolate.
I'll have some photos up soon, just had to get some help putting them onto the computer, I'm still not all that good with that stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:01 pm 
Stegosaurus

I actually ordered some today so I should get in sometime this week and give it a shot. Sorry to hear about your back. Wishing u a speedy recovery.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:53 pm 
Gorilla

Here are a couple of photos from the comp that I won, I'll have some more soon, just been pretty busy.
I mucked up one of the photos when resizing it so it's a bit small. I'll put some more up soon.

Went back to training yesterday, still not properly yet but feel a lot better.
Trained legs, back and biceps.

Split squats - 40kg x 6
80kg x 3 x 3 sets
Front squats - 60kg x 3
80kg x 2 x 5 sets
100kg x 2 - I did all my reps with a 2 second pause at the bottom, couldn't bring myself to bounce out of the bottom of the movement, plus I was watching the weightlifting championships and was inspired by the way the lifters can power out of the bottom after they look like they are stuck.
I had tried the 100kg after one set of the 80kg but felt it too much in my back, so went back to the 80's and just kept it at doubles.
Pullups - 6 x 4 sets
One arm chins - 6 x 2 sets
Seated dumbell curls - 17.5kg x 6 x 2 sets
Trunk twists - 10 x 2 sets - Really felt like awkward doing this, lower back is still too tight.
Jacknives - 12 x 2 sets
Step ups - 10kg dumbell (x 2) x 12 x 3 sets - Did them explosively and went up on my toes for each rep, did them as a calf exercise.

Diet is good, have lost the desire to cheat now, guess it's a case of "what you can't have you want more and vice versa". I'm more happy to just try different vegetable and legume combinations, rather than eat pasta and pizza and stuff that I banished while dieting.
Hopefully this week I'll be able to get back to trying the 5,3,1 program.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:53 pm 
Gorilla

Started back on the 5/3/1 program today, bench press day. May have to postpone it again though as my back has flared up again - it's very frustrating.

Bench press - 40kg x 10
60kg x 5
95kg x 5
100kg x 5
107.5kg x 5
Incline dumbell press - 45kg x 5 x 3 sets
Snatch grip upright rows - 60kg x 5 x 3 sets - was like a high pull but I couldn't lift much as 60kg was more than enough to deadlift off the floor today.
Close grip floor press - 70kg x 6 x 4 sets
Jacknives - 12 x 3 sets

So far today I've eaten the following -
Bowl of raw dark choc, goji berries and raw almonds - portions of each were pretty small
Amino acid/Vega sport mix during training
Lentil burger with green beans, kale, cherry tomatoes and alfalfa sprouts.
I've got another meal of the lentil burger and veggies and then will have a sunwarrior shake later on and also some more of the chocolate, almond and goji mix.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:17 pm 
Elephant

Damn dude... your legs are so thick and massively huge that when you stand straight up it makes it look like you dont even have knees. It goes Quads then Calves...

Can I be like you when I grow up?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:21 pm 
Stegosaurus

photos r very impressive!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:52 am 
Site Admin

Awesome!

I love seeing your pics and your success!

Great stuff man!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:30 pm 
Gorilla

Quote:
Damn dude... your legs are so thick and massively huge that when you stand straight up it makes it look like you dont even have knees. It goes Quads then Calves...

Can I be like you when I grow up?
Quote:

Haha!! Thanks mate!
I still get marked down for being too bottom heavy, my symmetry gets thrown off a bit because my legs are too big. I barely do anything for legs compared to what I used to do, it's all genetics really.

Quote:
photos r very impressive!

Thank you MaryStella!

Quote:
Awesome!

I love seeing your pics and your success!

Great stuff man!

Thank you Robert!

Still not training properly yet. I've been going to the gym but really have just been mucking around with the weights and haven't been following a structured program. No leg or back training, apart from pullups. I've been cycling a lot so my conditioning is still good.
The back pain is easing off slowly, I'm just getting impatient to start training properly again.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:54 pm 
Stegosaurus

Hope your back @ it soon!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:25 pm 
Gorilla

I'm finally back to some sort of structured training, I've just been mucking around with the weights for the last couple of weeks. My back is feeling ok, still not doing heavy back squats or deadlifts and might leave them out for a little while still.
I've been practicing the olympic lifts and doing some kettlebell stuff, things that won't aggravate my back too much.
I'm going to start my 5/3/1 program again but relegate back squats and deadlifts to assistance exercises and focus more on power cleans, push presses and snatches as my main exercises. As strange as it may sound, they don't give me any discomfort in my back, unlike heavy deadlifting at the moment.
Today was just a bit of everything again but at least I managed to journal it, so it's a start.

Overhead squats (full snatch on first rep) - bar x 5 x 2 sets
30kg x 3
45kg x 3
60kg x 3 x 3 sets - Not a very heavy weight but I'm still a weightlifting novice so snatching 60kg is very hard. Should be good for building up my upper back.
Incline press - 70kg x 6 x 2 sets - 2 second pause on each rep
Romanian deadlifts - 70kg x 6 x 2 sets
Dips - 25kg x 8 x 2 sets
Close grip chins - 10kg x 8 x 2 sets
Swiss ball crunches - 10kg x 12 x 2 sets

Diet - I've been pretty strict with my diet, I'm 3kg above my contest weight so look pretty lean but feel stronger now because I'm eating a bit healthier.
Yesterday -
Meal 1 - Dark chocolate (cocoa butter, raw cocoa powder, Maca powder, agave nectar, raw almonds, raw pepitas, Sunwarrior protein powder) with handful dried cranberries.
Meal 2 - Vege burger (vegan burger mix and added broccoli, chia seeds and red onion) with spinach, tomato, avocado and lentil sprouts.
Meal 3 - Sesame seed bar (just black sesame seeds rice syrup - going to start making my own soon) and Sunwarrior shake.
Meal 4 - Aminos, Vega sport, apple, creatine and phytoplankton smoothy. Had it in freezer for a few hours so turned out like a slurpy. Tastes pretty good when training in 30 degree temperatures.
Meal 5 - Tofu (marinated tofu cubes) with broccoli and raw beetroot and avocado.
Meal 6 - Same as meal 1 but also had dried blueberries too.

I can pretty much use this diet for cutting before my comp, the calories aren't too high even with the chocolate and sugars are pretty low.
I'm having one refeed day a week where I drop my fats and increase my carbohydrates, it seems to be helping to keep me lean.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:50 pm 
Stegosaurus

yeah o-lifts! nice! I think they will work out great for you. Just watch your back on those romanian deadlifts!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:36 pm 
Gorilla

Quote:
yeah o-lifts! nice! I think they will work out great for you. Just watch your back on those romanian deadlifts!

Yeah I figured I would give them more of a go, I can't really do too much powerlifting stuff at the moment (don't know if I really want to really focus on it too much anyway) and weightlifting will have plenty of carryover into all the cycling I do and also strengthen some of my weakpoints in my bodybuilding, like upper back thickness which I lack.
I don't really go very heavy on the Romanian deadlifts so my back feels ok doing them, unlike regular deadlifts.

Had a session last night, bit of everything again - I haven't made up a program yet.
Kettlebell swings - 20kg x 10 x 3 sets
Squat cleans - Bar x 3
40kg x 3
80kg x 1 x 3 sets
Push press - 40kg x 3
70kg x 3 x 3 sets
Front squats - 90kg x 3
120kg x 1 x 3 sets - felt heavy so just did singles. It's the heaviest I've lifted since I got back into training.
Paused bench press - 60kg x 3
90kg x 3 x 3 sets
Rope climbs - x 2, don't know how high the climb is but ceiling is pretty high I guess
Trunk twists - 10 x 3 sets

Diet was pretty much the same the whole week. Today will be my "refeed" day so might have some lentil or vege burger wraps or something. Haven't really had the desire to carb up, been feeling pretty strong and energetic on my usual daily diet but I'll probably enjoy it eating once I start :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:46 am 
Site Admin

Just stopping by to say hi....haven't been online much lately but been talking about you when talking to others about big vegan dudes! Thanks for representing so well!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next