Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joel's training journal
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:40 am 
Elephant

My ex (training buddy) and I used to yell Coleman stuff like "ain't nuttin but a peanut", after a while we just yelled PEANUTS but in Swedish (Jordnötter), it kept me going for a few reps :D

BTW, yesterday I drank coffe and took BCAA at the same time, Joel-style 8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:34 am 
Stegosaurus

joelk wrote:
Quote:
I love the guy in the video that just keeps saying EASY everytime you lift something. :lol:
Nice job!

Ha ha, it's like the spotters that shout "push" when you're bench pressing!
It's like "I am pushing, what do you think I'm doing?"
That's funny :D

I usually start "commenting" back to my spotter although sometimes words don't actually come out it is just sounds.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:17 pm 
Gorilla

Quote:
i like that motivation stuff. a guy i used to train with always shouted "pull! pull!" when we were bench pressing and from one second to the other all concentration was gone cause i was always thinking "no i won't you freaking idiot!!".

A good spotter will motivate, a bad one just stands around stating the obvious while you're clearly lifting with all you have.

Quote:
My ex (training buddy) and I used to yell Coleman stuff like "ain't nuttin but a peanut", after a while we just yelled PEANUTS but in Swedish (Jordnötter), it kept me going for a few reps

BTW, yesterday I drank coffe and took BCAA at the same time, Joel-style

I like that sort of supportive commentary, at least they know you're trying and are being supportive!
Ha ha, espresso's and BCAA's, best pre workout supplements ever!!

Quote:
I usually start "commenting" back to my spotter although sometimes words don't actually come out it is just sounds.

Just Branch Warren style grunting ha!? lol

Had a busy weekend so haven't updated my journal for a couple of days.
Friday was a short workout as I had to finish up at the shop and fit in a workout before I started my shift at the gym.
Just did some squats and a little bit for shoulders and abs.
Seated dumbell press (no back support) - 15kg x 12
25kg x 6
33kg x 5 x 3 sets
Squats - bar x 15
60kg x 10
100kg x 6
140kg x 4
165kg x 2 x 3 sets
Standing calf raise - 160kg x 10 x 3 sets
Rollouts - 6 x 3 sets

Didn't keep track of exactly what I ate on the weekend but Friday night was a refeed meal, had a vegan pizza from a vegetarian pizza place not far from where I live.
Wasn't able to really train over the weekend, had a migraine Saturday afternoon and into yesterday so I spent most of my time resting.
Managed to eat a couple of meals of tempeh, black quinoa, spinach, cherry tomatoes and avocado and a couple of Nitrofusion shakes, didn't feel all that hungry though. I seem to get these headaches more than I would like, could be hereditary as they run in my family but I'll make sure I keep getting enough minerals and stuff in my diet.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:38 pm 
Stegosaurus

I seem to get these headaches more than I would like, could be hereditary as they run in my family but I'll make sure I keep getting enough minerals and stuff in my diet.[/quote]

I used to get a ton of headaches and they went away when I cut caffeine out of my diet years ago. You can use try using Yerba Mate when u need it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:55 pm 
Elephant

Hey buddy. Cant wait for you to post pre-contest diet and workouts. This stuff is hard "mate". Im so an Aussie now. HA HA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:14 pm 
Gorilla

Quote:
Hey buddy. Cant wait for you to post pre-contest diet and workouts. This stuff is hard "mate". Im so an Aussie now. HA HA

As long as you add 'mate' to the end of every sentence you'll sound just like an Aussie!
Yeah my diet starts pretty soon, the show is in October and I like to give myself a few months to prepare. I'll post it all up as I go along.
Keep it up mate, you're nearly there.

Quote:
I used to get a ton of headaches and they went away when I cut caffeine out of my diet years ago. You can use try using Yerba Mate when u need it.

You are probably right there, I will look for something else, like the Yerba Mate, to have instead of my pre workout coffees. The headaches are enough to stop me from training and I can't have that!

I haven't trained since Friday as I have come down with the flu. The headache has gone but I'm just weak and keep coughing. Not really eating much, mainly just having toast with a bit of hummus and protein shakes, I don't have much of an appetite.
Hopefully I will be able to get back into the gym in the next couple of days because it's frustrating not being able to train!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:27 pm 
Stegosaurus

Sorry to hear your not feeling well. Rest up. I grind the yerba mate up and use it that way just put it in food. you can just use it like a coffee/tea drink too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:52 pm 
Gorilla

Thanks MaryStella, I'll give the Yerba Mate a shot when I get back into the gym

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:23 am 
Stegosaurus

http://www.guayaki.com/ - if u wanna check it out.

Also just checking in on you and seeing how your doing? Hope your recovered and getting back at it. But it don't see any workouts posted here recently so worried your still sick.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:47 pm 
Manatee

If you can find it Amanda is a nice brand of Maté. The classic favorite is Cruz de Malta though. That stuff is hardcore. I hear Canarias is the best, but I've never gotten a hold of any.

Yet.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:27 pm 
Stegosaurus

I'm using the Mate factor brand . I use it sparingly though because it gives me a good jolt because I've been off of caffeine/ stimulants for awhile now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:31 pm 
Gorilla

Thanks MaryStella and Nathan, will check it out this week as I've only just got back to training.
Finally got back into the gym, the flu really knocked me around, the joint pain was what really made it hard to get back to training.
Had a workout last night, chest, back, arms, calves and a little abs.
Bench press - bar x 12
40kg x 10
60kg x 10
100kg x 5 x 3 sets - felt heavy
Dumbell bench press - 45kg x 4 x 3 sets - stopped the dumbells at bottom of stroke and then powered up, need to work on the bottom part of the movement and then will get back to floor presses to work the top part.
Pullups - 6 x 3 sets
Deadlifts - 100kg x 5
140kg x 3
160kg x 2 x 3 sets
Close grip floor press - 60kg x 3 x 3 sets - Again tried to power up the positive stroke
EZ bar curls - 35kg x 6 x 3 sets
Skullcrushers - 45kg x 6 x 3 sets
Rollouts - 8 x 3 sets
Barbell calf raises - 60kg x 15 x 3 sets - I love these, just balancing is hard. Put 10kg plates on floor so I can get a stretch in the calves.

Have finally managed to get some proper meal consistency in again - have lost 4 kg this week because I've had no appetite.
Meal 1 - Nitrofusion shake, flax meal, strawberries
Meal 2 - 60g tempeh, 60g nutmeat, spinach, broccoli (about 5 small heads), black quinoa (50g), 1/2 avocado
Meal 3 - Same as meal 2
Meal 4 - Dark rye toast with chickpea (100g chickpeas) and quinoa salad - black quinoa, mixed greens (spinach, kale, lettuce, beetroot), macadamia oil (10ml)
Meal 5 - 15g BCAA, 3g creatine (back on it now), ginseng resin, 10g Spirulina - have to take the ginseng on it's own as it is vile tasting and use the spirulina and BCAA's to wash it down. No coffee today, have not had it for a week, going to take MaryStella's advice and try Yerba Mate.
Meal 6 - Nitrofusion shake, electrolyte tablet (still sweating a lot even though I didn't do all that much - the salts reduce my migraines too I think)
Meal 7 - Same meal as meal 5 - Kept the carbohydrates up because I feel really depleted.
Glad to be back to normal now though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:11 pm 
Elephant

Good to see you're back at it!

Haha ginseng must be horrible if you can use spirulina to wash it down!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:05 pm 
Gorilla

Yeah it's awful mate!

Back in the gym yesterday, legs and a little back, shoulders and abs
Squats - Bar x 15
60kg x 8
100kg x 5
140kg x 3 x 3 sets - Felt a bit weaker on the squats today, the weight just felt a lot heavier than what I was doing previously, didn't push it too hard.

Dumbell squats on box - 54kg (x 2) x 5 x 3 sets - Box is about a foot high, am able to go very deep, like I do with barbell squats anyway but standing on a box using dumbells forces me to keep my feet close together and I think helps build power out of the bottom part of the movement.
Jump squats - 60kg x 3 x 3 sets
100kg x 2 x 1 set
Dumbell shoulder press, no back support - 22kg x 6
33kg x 4 x 3 sets
Bentover rows on bench - 70kg x 10 x 3 sets
Rollouts - 8 x 3 sets
Barbell calf raises - 60kg x 15 x 3 sets - I like this exercise. Free weight version of standing calf raises, standing on 10kg plates for better stretch. Apart from the balance issue, it really gives my calves a good workout.

Diet
Meal 1 - Pita bread, chickpeas (80g), hummus, nut meat (50g), spinach - just made some wraps. A change from my usual liquid breakfast
Meal 2 - 3 slices of black bread, bowl of lentil soup, added in some extra kidney beans (50g)
Meal 3 - Nitrofusion shake, spirulina, flax meal
Meal 4 - 120g tempeh, 50g nut meat, 50g black quinoa, 2 cups broccoli, spinach leaves
Meal 5 - 15g BCAA's, 15g spirulina, 3g creatine, no coffee again
Meal 6 - Nitrofusion shake (got to get some more SunWarrior!), 15g spirulina, 3g creatine
Meal 7 - Small bowl of lentil soup, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato, kale and black bread toast (2 slices), 10g BCAA.

Glad to have my appetite back, still looking depleted though, hence my carbohydrates are higher at the expense of some of the fats I normally eat. I'll drop the carbs and bump the fats up as soon as I manage to start filling out again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:37 pm 
Stegosaurus

You might actually feel worse before you feel better with the caffeine withdrawal symptoms. I had a headache everyday for about two weeks but I was a pretty serious caffinator back then. But once I got over those headaches I almost never get them anymore and when I do they are so much less severe than they used to be. Glad you got your appetite back, I thought I ate a lot of food, you eat a ton!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 31  Next