Lobsteriffic's Training Log - Oct. 31st Marathon Here I Come

I'm a newbie on this forum but I find these online training logs to be very helpful so I thought I'd jump in with both feet and start one up. A bit of background is in order I suppose. I first went lacto-ovo veg in 1998 as a young teenager for ethical reasons. I've always been big, as are the majority of my family members. Fast forward to 2004. I had hit 200 lbs (I'm 5'11") and knew I had to do something. I was living on my own then (I was in my fourth year of university) and ate pretty poorly...very processed carbs and lots of cheese on everything. It wasn't uncommon for my dinner to consist of a box of instant potatoes (which I would melt cheese on). I hardly ever ate vegetables. No wonder I was big. Anyway, I started eating less (and healthier I suppose compared to what I had been eating previously, still very carb heavy and not many veggies). I did some workout DVDs at home most days of the week. Over the span of a few months I was down 30 lbs and I was pretty happy.

In 2005 I moved and started graduate school. During this time I also became more and more interested in weight training. I read a lot and started to up my protein intake quite a bit (mostly with whey powder...at this point I didn't really care if my food was heavily processed or not). Even though I started out as a weakling, over the next year I gained quite a bit of strength. My physique didn't get to where I wanted to be, but that's because my diet wasn't always spot on, which I like to blame on grad school, but we all have our excuses.

Fast forward to fall 2006. I had some pretty harsh personal problems and stopped training. I also developed an eating disorder during this time. I dropped to 140 lbs which isn't a dangerously low BMI, but I was pretty thin and I looked awful (no muscles whatsoever). I eventually dealt with these issues and moved on. Still didn't get back into training though. Which of course I also blamed on being really busy with grad school.

Not much happened until Feb 2008 when I became vegan. It just clicked one day (after almost 10 years as a lacto-ovo). Another thing that coincided with this is that I discovered I love to cook. Up until that point I had relied on convenience packaged foods. It's not easy to find vegan convenience foods here so I had to learn my way around the kitchen. Turns out I love it. Great. Now I was eating better, but my diet still had sugar and white flour and caffeine. Then I read Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhrman. This totally changed the way I view food. I'm happy to report that I now eat pretty darn healthy most of the time...about 75% produce. I try to only eat whole grains, no refined sugar, and no more coffee.

Is grad school any less busy now? No. But I'm tired of making excuses. I miss how good I used to feel after an awesome workout. So here I am, back on the wagon. It hurts my pride to have to basically start at square one again (strength-wise), but I really have nobody to blame for that but myself.

So my goals are to drop about 10-15 lbs body fat by eating clean, doing cardio, and lifting heavy weights. I also do yoga a few times a week. I'm really inflexible and have mild arthritis and I find that yoga helps a lot. Oh, and I'm also getting married in August so of course I'd like to look great for that. To help me ease back into weight lifting I am currently doing a three-day/week full-body routine. After about 4 weeks or so I'll switch it up as there were a few splits that I used to really like and saw great results with previously.

I'm not sure about my weight. My scale needs a new battery. I was avoiding weighing myself as sometimes I find that causes me to obsess and I really don't want to be in that head space again. However I think that if I limit my weigh-ins to once every 2 weeks or so that should be okay.

Wow, this turned out to be quite the novel. Anyway, I'm so ready for this.

Edited by lobsteriffic

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuesday, April 14th:

Weights: (don't laugh!)

Squat:

45 lbs x 10

65 lbs x 10

65 lbs x 10

70 lbs x 10

Lat Pulldown:

60 x 10

60 x 10

60 x 10

DB Shoulder Press:

12.5 x 10

12.5 x 10

12.5 x 10

One Arm DB Row:

15 x 10

15 x 10

15 x 10

Incline DB Press:

20 x 8

20 x 8

20 x 8

Bicycle Crunches (didn't really count these...)

Cardio: 10 k on stationary bike immediately after weights

Diet:

Breakfast: oatmeal with blueberries, almonds, and soymilk

Lunch: salad, veggie chili, some raisins

Supper: roasted cauliflower, chickpea cutlets

Snacks: navel orange

Not the best day for me veggie-wise, I usually try to get in more raw fruits and vegetables. I need to get to the store.

Cals 1734

Fat (g) 28.4

Carbs (g) 300.8

Prot (g) 98.0

Also have a 60 min. hatha yoga class tonight.

Wednesday, April 15th:

Cardio:

Jog/walk intervals first thing in AM (I am trying to build up my running but I am still a novice so I am slow and have poor endurance. I jogged most of the way for 5.25 k, had to take the occasional walking break)

I have a 90 min. bellydancing class this evening. I don't really count this as cardio (it's not that fast-paced) but hey, it's me moving and doing something so I suppose it counts as something.

Diet:

Breakfast (after run): oatmeal with blueberries, cashew butter, and soymilk

Lunch: salad with kidney beans, salsa, and a nutritional yeast "cheese" sauce (a taco salad, if you will), some raisins for dessert

Supper: leftover chickpea cutlets, leftover cauliflower, roasted broccoli

Snack: navel orange

Cals 1674

Fat (g) 33.9

Carbs (g) 273.5

Prot (g) 94.7

Still didn't get to the store...ate the last of my veggies today so I really need to get there tomorrow

Thursday, April 16th:

Cardio: I tried HIIT for the first time this morning. Dear God. I used the stationary bike. My right knee is bugging me today and I didn't think sprinting would be a very good idea. I think I did something to it (my knee) in dance class last night. Hopefully it straightens itself out. Anyway, I did 30 second intervals followed by 60 seconds rest. I warmed up for 5 min. and could only manage 7 intervals. Man were they TOUGH. I never thought that I would be that drenched in sweat after a 15 minute workout...After the 7 intervals I just did my usual level on the bike for 15 more minutes. Followed up with some bicycle crunches.

I have a 60 min. hatha yoga class this evening.

Diet:

Pre-Workout: 1/4 c. oatmeal with some soymilk

(HIIT) - read you shouldn't do this on an empty stomach and should have some carbs in you - is this correct?

Post-Workout: 1 c. black beans mixed with some ketchup, bbq sauce, spices, and hot sauce

Lunch: big salad with dressing, tempeh, multigrain pita, apple

Supper: TVP meatloaf, roasted green beans, roasted brussel sprouts, small salad with dressing

Snack: orange

Cals 1645

Fat (g) 54.7

Carbs (g) 222.0

Prot (g) 80.5

Hmmm...protein lower than I'd like. I currently don't have a protein powder. I'm kind of into the whole foods thing but keeping my calories low it's hard to get that much protein without a supplement. I need to go see what's available in town (not much I'd expect). I don't want to pay for shipping from an online order if I can help it. Saving every penny I can for the wedding.

Friday, April 17th:

Weights:

Squat:

45 lbs x 10

70 lbs x 10

70 lbs x 10

70 lbs x 10

Lat Pulldown:

45 x 10

60 x 10

60 x 10

60 x 10

DB Shoulder Press:

12.5 x 10

12.5 x 10

12.5 x 8

DB One Arm Row:

17.5 x 10

17.5 x 10

17.5 x 10

Incline DB Press:

20 x 10

20 x 10

20 x 10

Cardio: 10 k on stationary bike directly after weights, followed by bicycle crunches and stretching.

Diet: (or we could call it, "the day I eat a lot of TVP meatloaf"..)

Pre-Workout: banana

(workout)

Post-Workout: TVP meatloaf

Lunch: TVP meatloaf, big salad with dressing, apple

Snack: cucumber slices

Supper: TVP meatloaf, medium-sized salad with dressing, roasted brussel sprouts, roasted broccoli

Snack: strawberries

Cals 1739

Fat (g) 44.8

Carbs (g) 233.8

Prot (g) 113.3

I usually try to get my protein from more varied sources, but I had to finish up the meatloaf today. Plus it's one of my favourite things. So I make it like once every 3-4 months and go nuts until it's all gone.

I actually weighed myself this morning for the first time in a long time. I was 152.5 lbs, and that was after eating a banana and drinking some water (d'oh...forgot I was going to weigh myself...). I'm pleased, considering I thought I was around 160. The problem is I'm pretty much the definition of "skinny fat" right now due to not training for the last couple of years. With clothes on I look thin enough, but I'm actually quite jiggly. Oh well, I'm rectifying the situation now and that's what matters.

I am not allowed to weigh myself until next Thursday morning. I should also take some measurements and some before pics, perhaps this weekend.

I picked up some Nutribiotic rice protein powder today. We'll see how I like that. The only non-soy vegan powders I could find were Vega and Nutribiotic, and unfortunately Vega just doesn't fit into my budget right now. We'll see how this brand goes.

Aww, thanks Tasha. I am super picky about keeping things organized...I have my books in alphabetical order and that sort of thing. Which I think is an admirable quality but some disagree....

Thanks MaryStella - things are going great so far and I feel awesome. I'm super motivated to make things work.

Saturday, April 18th:

Rest day...60 min. hatha yoga class in the morning and that's it.

Diet:

Breakfast: green smoothie with spinach, banana, frozen mixed berries,flax seeds, and 2 scoops protein powder

Lunch: salad with dressing, tempeh, baby carrots, multigrain pita, apple

Snack: apple

Supper: black bean burgers (without buns), asparagus, endive, small potato, and salad

Snack: orange

Cals 1740

Fat (g) 45.6

Carbs (g) 272.5

Prot (g) 80.6

Good training so far in here Always nice to see people squatting.

Cardio: I tried HIIT for the first time this morning. Dear God. I used the stationary bike. My right knee is bugging me today and I didn't think sprinting would be a very good idea. I think I did something to it (my knee) in dance class last night. Hopefully it straightens itself out. Anyway, I did 30 second intervals followed by 60 seconds rest. I warmed up for 5 min. and could only manage 7 intervals. Man were they TOUGH. I never thought that I would be that drenched in sweat after a 15 minute workout...After the 7 intervals I just did my usual level on the bike for 15 more minutes. Followed up with some bicycle crunches.

Intervals are where it's at for cardio, IMO. Not that I do them often, but they always have a place on my things I really should be doing list

Congrats on your upcoming wedding as well.

Tasha - I'm trying out Nutribiotic rice protein. It's kind of chalky. Probably not something I would recommend. I'll finish my tub of it, but I don't think I would buy it again. Maybe it'll grow on me though, I've only been using it for a couple of days.

Ralst - I can see why so many people advocate doing intervals...that really wiped me out!

Oh, and thanks for the congrats on the wedding.

you shouldn't have to get use to something you don't like right away.

Is it that you don't like to spend a lot of money on proteins?

Have heard of sprouted brown rice Sun Warrior protein? Super easy to digested, tastes really good with just water. I recommand the Chocolate flavor.

go to www.veganproteins.com if you don't like to order online. There's also heartland sprouted brown rice protein that's pretty good too.

I have seen quite a bit of talk about it (on here) and it sounds great. When I'm done with this stuff I'll have to see about ordering some. There's not a whole lot of options for non-soy vegan protein powders here. It was pretty much Nutribiotic, Vega (too expensive for me right now), and a small, over-priced contained of hemp protein.

Thanks! I love food and cooking so I try to make a clean diet as delicious as possible. I am losing fat...I've only weighed myself once so far but I can tell visually as well as how my clothes are fitting. After I lose 10 lbs or so I'm going to reassess the situation. I think I may need to concentrate on building muscle for awhile.

I'm doing my Ph.D. in social psychology...which will hopefully be done in 2010.

Sunday, April 19th:

Weights:

Squats:

45 lbs x 10

70 lbs x 8

70 lbs x 8

75 lbs x 8

Assisted Chin-Ups:

70 lbs x 8

70 lbs x 7

70 lbs x 6

DB Shoulder Press:

12.5 lbs x 8

12.5 lbs x 8

12.5 lbs x 8

One Arm DB Row:

17.5 lbs x 10

17.5 lbs x 10

17.5 lbs x 10

Bench Press:

45 lbs x 8

55 lbs x 8

55 lbs x 6 (didn't fail, but could tell I wouldn't be able to do another one)

Weighted Swiss Ball Crunches:

25 lbs x 12

25 lbs x 12

Cardio:

HIIT on stationary bike - 5 min. warm up followed by 30 second intervals with 60 seconds rest (did 7 intervals) followed by 5 min. cool down

Diet:

Pre-Workout: banana

Post-Workout: oatmeal with 2 scoops protein powder with a bit of molasses

Lunch: 2 collard wraps with mixed greens and leftover bean burgers, side salad with dressing, baby carrots and cucumber slices

Snack: apple

Supper: grilled tofu with bbq sauce, asparagus, salad with dressing

Snack: strawberries, orange

Cals 1787

Fat (g) 58.1

Carbs (g) 243.4

Prot (g) 92.4

Took my measurements today:

Chest: 37.5"

Waist: 30"

Hips: 39.5"

Edited by lobsteriffic

Thanks Robert!

Monday, April 20th:

Cardio: It is finally nice again here so I went for a run that was just shy of 5k. I only had to stop to walk once. I really can't stand running on treadmills in the gym. Outside I find I can go longer because I'm not just staring at the clock watching the seconds tick away.

I have a 60 min. hatha yoga class this evening.

Diet:

Breakfast (after run): green smoothie with spinach, banana, mixed berries, flax, and 2 scoops protein powder

Lunch: collard wrap with tempeh and mustard, roasted broccoli, cucumber slices, salad with dressing, some multigrain pita bread

Snack: grapes, some raisins later on

Supper: 1/2 baked sweet potato, bbq black beans, kale

Snack: grapes

Cals 1768

Fat (g) 43.6

Carbs (g) 298.9

Prot (g) 76.5

Tuesday, April 21st:

Weights:

Squats:

45 lbs x10

75 lbs x8

75 lbs x8

75 lbs x8

Assisted Chin-Up:

70 lbs x 8

70 lbs x 6

70 lbs x 5 (okay I sucked at these this morning...)

DB Shoulder Press:

12.5 lbs x 8

12.5 lbs x 8

12.5 lbs x 8

One Arm DB Row:

17.5 lbs x 8

17.5 lbs x 8

17.5 lbs x 8

Bench Press:

55 lbs x 8

55 lbs x 8

55 lbs x 6

Cardio: 10 k on stationary bike immediately following weights, followed by some stretching.

I have a 60 min. hatha yoga class tonight.

Diet:

Pre-workout: banana

Post-workout: oatmeal with protein powder and a bit of maple syrup

Lunch: collard burritos (collard wrap with black beans), salad with dressing, half a baked sweet potato

Snack: grapes

Supper: broiled eggplant slices, baked tofu, kale

Snack: raisins

Cals 1701

Fat (g) 48.8

Carbs (g) 254.8

Prot (g) 89.0

Wednesday, April 22nd:

Cardio: Ran just short of 5 k, had to stop to walk once. My body was really tired and whiny this morning and didn't want to go, but I said "too bad" and made myself go for a run anyway. Really glad I did.

I have a 90 min. bellydance class this evening.

Diet:

Breakfast (post-run): smoothie with banana, mixed berries, protein powder, flax seed, and soymilk

Lunch: more collard burritos, salad with dressing

Snack: apple, soymilk

Supper: bbq black beans, sauteed spinach and collards, salad with dressing

Snack: raisins

Cals 1808

Fat (g) 59.1

Carbs (g) 270.1

Prot (g) 75.8

Weighed myself this morning = 150 lbs. Last Thursday I was 152.5, but that was after eating a banana and drinking some water. So I'm losing weight nice and slow which is good in the long run.

Tomorrow I am flying home for my bridal shower. I will be spending the weekend staying with my parents and probably won't get to work out. After the weekend is over my Mom and I are driving back together and she's going to stay a few days. As for my diet, I'll be happy to stay at maintenance. I want to relax and enjoy hanging out with her. We're super close and now that I live further away I don't see her nearly as often as I would like. Once we get back here I'll see if she would like to go walking with me in the mornings. It's not running and weight training, but at least it's exercise and it's something we could do together. Once she leaves it's back to the gym.

• 2 weeks later...

Friday, May 1, 2009:

My Mom left early this morning so it's back to business as usual. No gym today but I'll be back in there tomorrow. Which will be tough after not going for 10 days but oh well. 3 months left to the wedding so I need to kick it into high gear. I won't be weighing myself for awhile...too much wine and good food while visiting.

Diet: didn't have much of an appetite today at all...long story...so yes my calories are abnormally low for me.

Breakfast: banana, soymilk with protein powder

Lunch: whole wheat pita with veggies and hummus

Supper: lemon tofu with sauteed kale; 1.5 glasses of red wine

Snack: banana

Cals 1185

Fat (g) 26.5

Carbs (g) 142.8

Prot (g) 63.1

I will be starting a new routine tomorrow. I used this routine quite a bit when I was training about 2 years ago. If anyone wants to read about it, you can do so here.

Day 1: Horizontal Push/Pull & Abs

Rack Pulls 5x5

Barbell Rows 3x8

Bench Press 5x5

Flat Flyes 3x8

Weighted Crunches 3x8-12

Day 2: Quad Dominant/Hams & Biceps

Squats 5x5

Leg Press 3x8

High Foot Placement Leg Press 3x12

Hammer Curls 3x8-12

Day 3: Vertical Push/Pull & Abs

Negative Chin-ups 5x5

Lat Pull-Downs 3x8

Military Press 5x5

Standing Side Laterals 3x8

Weighted Crunches 3x8-12

Day 4: Hams Dominant/Quad Accessory & Triceps

RDL's 5x5

Good Mornings 3x8

DB Lunge 3x12

Dips 5x5

Cable Pressdown 3x8-12

I'm looking at a schedule something like this:

Monday - Horizontal Push/Pull & Abs & HIIT in AM; yoga in PM

Tuesday - Quad Dominant/Hams Accessory & Biceps

Wednesday - run in AM, bellydance in PM

Thursday - Vertical Push/Pull & Abs & HIIT in AM; yoga in PM

Friday - run in AM, possibly yoga (not sure yet about scheduling)

Saturday - Hams Dominant/Quad Accessory & Triceps

Sunday - rest

That routine looks nice and unboring! How did it work for you last time?

I'm really interested in what that link says about

Try pairing a horizontal pulling workout with horizontal pushing (chest) and the vertical pulling with vertical pushing (shoulders) to ensure that the volume around the joints is kept constant. This is assuming that muscle groups are being trained once per week.
This seems really right on.

Saturday, May 2nd:

Weights: Ham Dominant/Quad Accessory & Triceps

RDL's:

45 lbs x 5

65 lbs x 5

75 lbs x 5

75 lbs x 5

75 lbs x 5

80 lbs x 5

Good Mornings:

45 lbs x 8

65 lbs x 8

75 lbs x 8

75 lbs x 6 (grip slipped and my wrist was screaming so I had to stop)

DB Lunge:

20 lbs x 12

22.5 lbs x 12

22.5 lbs x 12

Assisted Dips:

60 lbs x 5

50 lbs x 5

50 lbs x 5

50 lbs x 5

50 lbs x 5 (my form sucked this last set)

Cable Pressdown:

40 lbs x 8

50 lbs x 8

50 lbs x 8

Cardio: 10 k on stationary bike followed by some stretching

Diet:

Pre-workout: banana

Post-workout: protein powder and chocolate soy milk

Lunch: grilled tofu with green chard and mixed sprouts

Snack: 1 tbsp. peanut butter, small piece rye bread

Supper: grilled tempeh with zucchini, corn on the cob, and small salad with salsa, some grapes for dessert

Snack: banana

Cals 1412

Fat (g) 29.1

Carbs (g) 221.8

Prot (g) 85.1

Cals still a little low for me but not too bad so I won't worry about it. I just honestly haven't been all that hungry.

Viva - I found the routine worked great for me when I used it earlier. It kept me interested as well as continually challenged. I kept seeing strength gains with it, even though I was cutting at the time. The woman who wrote it (MariAnne Anderson) seems to really know her stuff.