Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 83  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chewy's Powerlifting Log
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:42 pm 
Gorilla

How were the legs after the strength shop training haha? Deads were great man inspirational

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:42 am 
Elephant

veggiesasquatch wrote:
How were the legs after the strength shop training haha? Deads were great man inspirational
Was a while ago, can barely remember anything apart from the actual session haha.

Week 2

Mon 30th January 2012
Bodyweight = 84.1kg

Squat
1x3x102.5kg
1x3x117.5kg
1x8x132.5kg (belt for this set)

DB Bench
3x10x22.5kg DBs

Kroc Rows
1x10x30kg DB (each side)
2x10x32.5kg DB (each side)

Dips
11, 11, 10

Weighted Plank
3x30s +25kg

Plate pinches with 15kg plates for grip

Enjoyable workout and nice squatting.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:11 pm 
VBB Moderator

Representing Scotland to the fullest. Pages and pages of killer workouts. Much respect man.

-Dylan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:15 pm 
Stegosaurus

wow, I don't even think I could pick up a 32.5 kg DB, nevermind perform an actual row - awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:35 pm 
Elephant

Cheers guys ;)

Wed 1st February 2012
Bodyweight = 84.6kg

Front squat (no belt)
3x5x95kg

Bench
1x3x52.5kg
1x3x60kg
1x11x70kg

Pullups
10 normal
2x10 assisted with red super mini band

OHP
3x10x27.5kg

Cable crunches
2x10x30kg
1x25x20kg

Some grip work with Captains of Crush, closed #1 for 2 reps in left hand, 3 reps in right. Left forearm was a bit sore going into this workout.

Real happy with front squats, and bench - definitely a rep max for it. Can get a much better arch on my bench at home.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:14 pm 
Gorilla

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... _challenge

This hurts just reading it

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:46 pm 
Elephant

veggiesasquatch wrote:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_boring_but_big_3month_challenge

This hurts just reading it
To be honest, it isn't really that different from what I'm doing, just rearranged a bit! Basics are the same with more deads/bench/press/squatting for assistance with some extra exercises, majority of assistance is sets of 10. I have to say, I like 3x/week and repping the last of the 5/3/1 sets. I favour the strength over the hypertrophy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:23 pm 
Gorilla

Ye I hear you, this weeks a deload for me & I've been testing my assistance for the programmed assistance template from 2nd edition. Gym has a hammer strength grip frame so I may start using it. Been implementing chins between pressing moves this week to

I really undershot my lifts when I programed the excel sheet eg 1x100kg on bench ect just so I can hopefully keep the gains slowly ticking along. I like the idea of the full body templates for x3 sessions a week. Will have to resurrect my log on here haha

Hope it goes well for you mate all the best

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:26 am 
Elephant

veggiesasquatch wrote:
I really undershot my lifts when I programed the excel sheet
That's the point. You're supposed to use 90% of your 1RM as your training max. And you only go to 95% of the training max. So first cycle you only go to about 85.5% of your true 1RM for 1 set. You can get plenty of reps in on the last set of each day though, plenty of work.

Fri 3rd February 2012

Squats
1x5x57.5kg
1x5x72.5kg
1x5x87.5kg
Paused at the bottom of the first/last rep of each set

Push Press (the first 2 sets here were supposed to be triples, completely forgot -_-, not a big deal)
1x5x45kg
1x5x72.5kg
1x9x57.5kg

Deadlift
1x3x137.5kg (no belt, hook grip)
1x3x155kg (no belt, hook grip)
1x9x175kg (belt, over under)

Deadlift off 1 block
3x10x100kg +tripled purple mini bands

Back's been a bit sore since my top set of deadlifts. Own fault, I could've left 1 or 2 in the tank but decided to kill myself. Wasn't really setting the reps up right and was just heaving it. I'll get a bath, and no workout sat/sun anyway so I'll be fine. Don't care how many reps I get next week, just want to be in a good position.

Yesterday for the first time I actually used my training logs, I made several discoveries which are going to help my training get back on track. There's a few bits and pieces I need to go through but I'll be making a post about it later.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:41 am 
Gorilla

Ye I know how it works i meant my actual max before even taking the 90% off I went for a lower Number than what I could actually lift

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:27 pm 
Elephant

Okay so I mentionned in the last post I put my training logs under the microscope. I dunno if I mentionned this or anyone noticed but my strength ain't been where it was last summer, after then I decided to try and boost my relative strength and try hit some PB's around 83kg. I've been trying to figure out what I've been doing wrong, obsessing over what exercises or program to go on. Obviously a couple of weeks ago I chose Jim Wendler's 5/3/1.

I decided to look back through my training log and write down my noticable PB's for the powerlifts (for 1 - 13 reps depending), and the date I hit them on. I discovered that EVERY PB under 10 reps (so 1-9RMs) were set between June-August 2011 when my bodyweight was at its highest. This came as no surprise. But it got me thinking I've never really looked at my bodyweight progression very closely.

So I went through my log and put all my bodyweight entries into an Excel spreadsheet. This was time consuming to say the least, as the first half of the entries were in pounds (I now use kilograms). I made a graph;

I quickly realised. I've NEVER made gains whilst just maintaining my bodyweight (or losing bodyweight, but that's to be expected). I could actually look at the graph and remember my training cycles from the beginning, throughout. I checked the dates with my log and everything makes sense.

Here's a quick run down of my training;
After discovering VBBF I got myself a light DB kit and for maybe a month or something. I weighed 10.5 stone at this point, 66kg. After much internet research I decided a strength program and bulking was the way for beginners. I ordered a 100kg barbell set, bench and power rack for my room. The graph starts when I started Stronglifts program in June 2009.

Stronglifts 5x5

June 2009 - February 2010
Basically just before I started stronglifts I went from just eating when hungry to eating 5000-6000 calories a day for 3 months. Gained a lot of strength, muscle but a lot of bodyfat too quickly. Decided to cut some of it back, that's the dip in the graph. Strength suffered tremendously and stopped making gains.

Stronglifts Advanced
February 2010 - April 2010
As seen on the graph, only maintained my bodyweight. Had a horrid cycle. Hated the program and struggled with the weights. No gains. Decided to start bulking again.

Jim Wendler's 5/3/1

April 2010 - November 2010
Made great gains on this program. My weight gain was steady and consistent. Only reason I stopped it was because I joined the weightlifting club.

Powerlifting peaking cycle to my first comp
November 2010 - Feb 2011
After a couple of weeks I got a program from the guy who runs the powerlifting club. Weight gain continued, made crazy gains, especially in the deadlift. Had a great first comp.

Post comp for whatever reason I stopped eating as much and burnt out, a couple of false starts starting new progs. Injured my back minorly and took a week off after this. You can actually see my bodyweight levelled off there. Decided to start Madcow 5x5 and start eating more again.

Madcow 5x5
April 2011 - June 2011
Fucking great cycle. Gained weight steadily, hit just about my highest BW. Hit tonnes of PB's in June.

4 week peaking schedule + 2nd comp
June 2011 - July 2011
Bodyweight still rose a tiny bit, attempted and hit many PB's thanks to Madcow's work. Another routine by the guy who runs the powerlifting. Had a great comp in July.

Just another peaking schedule really + 3rd comp

August 2011 - September 2011
This is where the shit hit the fan. I hit some higher rep PB's still with my strength from the last cycle. But my bodyweight skydived down 3 or 4kg and tried to get it back before the comp but it was too late. I also started to obsess with straightening out my back on deadlifts/form on other exercises. Horrid cycle, lost strength and had my worst competition yet.

Basically after this I was left with still a high'ish bodyweight but much weaker. And I thought what was the point of being this heavy and decided to drop to 83kg. I can kind of see why I done it then but it made no fucking sense. I never cared about relative strength or weight classes.

So before I started 5/3/1 a couple of weeks ago, I tried a few schedules from the guy who runs the powerlifting again. But as you can see, I lost bodyweight through to January 2012.

CONCLUSIONS;
*I don't gain strength or muscle while maintaining/losing bodyweight
*Volume in the program is irrelevant. I've made gains with all sorts as long as I'm bulking
*Steady weight gain is definitely the key to strength/muscle gains

It's funny looking back and thinking I put on 20kg of mass in about 14 or 15 months between May 2010 - July 2011. I stayed pretty lean during a lot of that time as well. I don't know how the hell I lost sight of my goal just to become a tank and started caring about relative strength and cutting back fat. I didn't even have that much at the time.

My focus is sharpened now though, the steady bulk is back on :D

Post subject: Chewy's Powerlifting Log
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:36 pm 
Rabbit

Thanks for your comments on my thread. I like the strong lifts program, is this a good one for gains whilst reducing body fat as well? I have a bit of spare tyre that needs to shifted :)

I love the attention to detail you presented and how you put it all in a spreadsheet. I think I shall 'borrow' this idea if that's ok. I used to be pretty good with excel and access software before going into electronics so if you need a hand with anything let me know - I can be a bit of a geek sometimes and enjoy techie stuff.

Any way thanks again and god luck with the gains and training

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.371231,-0.776259

http://www.my-healthy-lifestyle-choices.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:18 am 
Manatee

Hi Chewy!
I'm a big fan of your log and just wanted to finally send you a post to say you are AWESOME!
You seem like a real cool dude and are an inspiration to me.
I love reading about your training so keep posting and good luck with your next cycle.
Your assessment looks on point and I know you'll do great things this year.

peace,
Jesse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:34 pm 
Gorilla

Chewy, that last post proves why your log is so crucial to this forum - extremely insightful, analytical, and inspirational. Serious props for taking the time to do all of that; your dedication is admirable.

chewybaws wrote:
My focus is sharpened now though, the steady bulk is back on :D

And I'm stoked to watch this progress. Cheers, mate.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:38 pm 
Elephant

VeganDougie wrote:
is this a good one for gains whilst reducing body fat as well?
It is very hard to gain muscle whilst losing bodyweight. Stronglifts is a great program for gaining mass and strength, but it uses very heavy loading (+2.5kg per workout) and requires that you eat a lot (otherwise you stall quickly). A bit of extra bodyfat may come with the territory but can be cut later. If reducing fat is your priority I'd concentrate on cardio with maintenance lifting.

theVeganInitiative wrote:
Hi Chewy!
I'm a big fan of your log and just wanted to finally send you a post to say you are AWESOME!
You seem like a real cool dude and are an inspiration to me.
I love reading about your training so keep posting and good luck with your next cycle.
Your assessment looks on point and I know you'll do great things this year.

peace,
Jesse
Cheers mate! Thanks for dropping in ;)

And thanks vegansludge!

Week 3

Mon 6th February 2012
Bodyweight = 86.7kg

Squat
1x5x110kg
1x3x125kg
1x5x140kg (belt for this set only)

DB Bench
3x10x22.5kg DBs

Kroc Rows
3x10x32.5kg DB

Dips
3x10

Plate Pinches for grip, 2x1m plank for abs.

Worked out around midday, and just didn't get enough carbs in before it. Just a glass of orange juice, couple of slices of toast and jam + protein shake first thing in the morning. I ran out of vega sport last week so tried making my own pre workout drink and it didn't blend properly so that was a waste. Squats felt really fucking heavy. I had completely no energy, I dunno what I ran on for the rest of the workout. Dips were surprisingly easy though.

Tue 7th February 2011
Intervals on stationary bike. 15mins total with 5x20s flat out.

Tried taking a reference picture today but it didn't come out so well, blurry...

On Saturday I was dumped by my girl after over 5 years together. I'm obviously pretty depressed just now and not been eating or sleeping optimally. You never realise what you had till it's gone.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 83  Next