My Training Journal - Modified DC Training

Hey Everyone,

I'm hoping to start a comprehensive blog (ya, blogging is a new hobby of mine) that details my nutrition and training opinions. For now though, I'm going to make posts nutrition and my many athletic persuits. I"m hoping this will keep me more accountable to train hard and eat well. I'm expecting to learn some things from all the great minds on this forum as well!

Currently, I"m persuing several avenues of fitness:

1) Bodybuilding--I don't like using this term because I'm nowhere near big enough to consider myself one. However, I love lifting weights and putting on mass, so I suppose that makes my training body building. I"m using a modifed form of DC training. I will be going into great detail about DC training, but basically, its blowing my mind. I love it.

2) Gymnastics. So a friend of mine owns a dance studio, and has started showing me stretching (hard, painful stretching!) how to do cartwheels, handstands etc. She is pushing to get me into breakdancing as well.

3) Running. I love running, always will. I drop weight like crazy when I'm runnign a lot, and i'm more focused on putting on mass. Right now, I'm struggling to go slower on my runs. I hope to do a few races over the fall/summer and will keep people posted

Just to Give people a General Idea of my fitness levels, here are some stats off the top of my head

5'7", about 165

Squats - pyramided to 285 for 5 solid reps (no belt)

Deadlift - Pyramided to I believe 255 for 8 Reps last workout (no belt or straps)

Leg Press - About 800 Pounds I think last time

Chest Press - umm, BB, can't recall, but I did Incline Db press with 75s with good depth and temp on my last workout

--> I will probably write a post abotu this late, but my strenght has skyrocketed since Novemebr, when I started eating properly and doing DC training

Jumping - I can jump up onto an aerobic platform with 19 levels under it (if that makes sense to anyone)

Running - my 5 km time is about 18 mins i'd say? 10 is low 40s, haven't done a half in a looong time

Gymnastics - My handstands are terrible. landed some 1 handed cartwheels the other day

A day in the life of my eating: Constructive Criticism welcomed and encouraged

Meal 1

-3/4 Cup Ezekial 4:9 with berries

-Toast with Avocado/tomatoes

-Orange Juice (on higher carb days)

-1/2-1 tablespoon pumpkin seed butter

Meal 2

-Protein Shake - Rice/Split pea, plus Vega or Hemp Protein,, Pb on higher Calorie Days

- Oatmeal or Brown Rice

-Fruit with pumpkin seed butter, or almonds

Meal 3.

-Compelx Carb - Sweet potato or brown Rice

-Tempeh

-Veggies

-Fat - natural Pb, avocodo

Meal 4

-Protein Shake - Rice/Split pea, plus Vega or Hemp Protein,, Pb on higher Calorie Days

- Oatmeal or Brown Rice

-Fruit with pumpkin seed butter, or almonds

Meal 5

-Complex Carb (on higher carb days)

-Veggies - kale, Broccoli, peppers

-Protein - Tempeh or Tofu

-Fat source - avacodo or Pb

-meal 6

Veggies and protein

-Usually big sald with tempeh OR tofu/beans plus veggies

Fealt Really Good today going into the gym. Went pretty well.

Here is today's workout, DC style: As in working set, 15-25 sec pause, next set, etc

Incline DB Press 75lbs 11/6/4 + dropsetting down to 30s

Shoulder DB Press 40 1-/5/3 + Dropset

Rear Delts 10 lbs, 3 sets of 10

Viking Press BB + 17.5 per arm 12/5/3

Deadlifts (not DC) 225 (8) 245(8) 265 (6)

Hammer Lat Pulls (can't remember)

Dips (wtih 45 lb weight) 12/6/4 + dropset, followed by three sets of pushups till failure

Stretching:" Lats, chest, Tris, Delts

• 3 weeks later...

My eating/training have not been upto par lately. Went and did quads/Hams/Bis at the gym yesterday. My squats weren't great, but its motivation to get my eating back on track.

BB Curls -75 lbs 10/5/3

Hammer Curls 30 lbs 14/7/5 + Dropset

Squats W/U followed by 245 (8) /265 (8) /275 (5) + All out set of 205

-1 Giant drop set leg extensions immediately after

Seated Hamstring Curls 150 lbs 9/5/4 (little too heavy) + dropset

-1 set of 12 S/L Deadlifts 135 pounds with long pause at bottom of each set

Stretching:

Quads/Hamstrings

Post workout shake comprized of GLycocarb,waxy maze, glutamine and Creatine

-Sam

Ya, modifying it is sort of stupid, but mostly I made very small modifications...Mostly the stretching, and I usually do Calves on a separate day from legs with abs/light cardio

I'm re reading teh DC training system to ensure I'm doing fairly correctly.

I did it for several months starting last November, and my gains were amazing. i got kind of complacent and started slacking, so i'm going hard again.

I think I'll start posting my food, b/c that has been my achilles

• 3 weeks later...

taking a break from DC for a short while...

I'm actually doing the ultimate diet 2.0.

I'm on the first day of my carb depletion...Its not horrible yet, but i'm sure its going to suck after a few days of this.

I'm only going to try this out for a week or two, see how it goes

So, I'm winding down now, day 2 of the ultimate diet 2.0.

This is extremely hard, today's workout was a real struggle to get through. I'm feeling proud though for just getting through yesterday and today. Tommorow is the real test though,

If you're curious, I generally eat about 400 -500 grams of carbs a day I'd say

And for teh last two days, between 60-100

2 more days tillI carb load!

Wow, the carb depletion phase went by in a weird, blur. Fealt sort of nautious and had a dull headache the entire time.

The 2nd workout on the 4day of carb depletion was definitely a battle. One my hardest workouts to get rhough psychologically.

The carb up phase was epic..I put on I think about 8 pounds overnight, which was pretty cool...filled back out...

Overall, after just one week, came out harder and leaner.

I have an exam coming up though, so I'm laying off the Ultimate diet 2.0 for now...It's definitley a good way to get through teh last couple pounds of body fat.

Starting my next DC bulking phase in August.

• 1 month later...

My training and eating have really sucked this summer. Just not consistant enough with my eating, and not intense enough in the weight room.

I've been reading and getting motivated again over the past coupel weeks though, so I'm back on track!

Went to the gym today and did Bis/Legs...Will include the weight that I remember:

Hammer Curls (DC style) 30s

BB Curls FST7 Pump style 60 maybe?

Forearm wrist curls

Hamstring Curls 140 (DC Style)

Squats pyramided to 265

leg extension pump set (FST7 style)

Seated Calfs plus standing pump set at end

Stretching DC style at end!

Post Workout: Glycocarb and rice protein

Today's Workout

Deadlifts (with straps): warm up plus 3 working sets: 285, 305, 325 (got 325 up 5 times, I think this is my record weight for that many reps)

WG Pull Ups (DC style) - Bodyweight, can't remember rep range

Incline Hammer Strength Chest Press (DC Style) 80/side

Db Military Press (DC style) 40s

Rear Delt Flys (DC style)

Tricep Dips (DC style) 50 lbs db between legs

Stretching- Chest/Lats/Shoulders/Triceps

Decent workout today, mostly just pumped about my deadlifts. My form was rock solid during the 325, considering trying 330 next time!