Denise Nicole's Modeling, Competing & Personal Training Blog

New blog instead of training journal, so I can post periodically in regards to my journey as a vegan in the mainstream world of Modeling, Competing & Personal Training.

Staying busy doing the above as well as articles for mags and of course running a household

Background for those who are new, I have competed in 9 shows in figure, fitness model and bikini. I am 100% natural and tend to stick to shows that are both drug tested and polygraphed. My journey has been incredible thus far and I feel so blessed to be doing what I love and helping others to reach their goals.

I'm a single Mom and have had 5 children, I'm now 38 and was 184 after my last child at on 5'5". I do not accept excuses from myself or my clients... insert "But I have had a child", "but I don't have the genetics" "but, I'm not 20 something anymore" "I have no time" etc etc. I've been there and done that and overcome!

This year (and the unforeseeable future) I will mostly be competing in the fitness model and bikini divisions. I model professionally now, and my stubborn legs which are a bear to put muscle on turned out to be a god send as now I am also a professional leg model (who knew?). Life is a strange thing indeed.

Stay tuned to here me ramble on and on about my scheduling, my friends and my kids!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool! I used to love your ramblings! no joke, I did! Looking forward to them again

I hear ya 100% about not accepting excuses from clients. I've heard them all, SAID THEM ALL and tried them all. Ultimately we all decide how bad you want a goal and excuses don't move anyone any closer toward a goal, do they?

I have a lot of respect for you knowing the kind of discipline it takes to get as sculpted as you have on a Vegan diet. It is hard stuff sista, and you are one disciplined chicky-poo! xoxo

I hear ya 100% about not accepting excuses from clients. I've heard them all, SAID THEM ALL and tried them all. Ultimately we all decide how bad you want a goal and excuses don't move anyone any closer toward a goal, do they?

Yes, been there done that helps for sure!

wow, we have talked many a times and not once did I ever hear you had 5 kids. lol

lol, yes my first child is deceased, my next two are both in college, 18 & 16, and my youngest two are 14 & 12, my 14 yo decided to become a model a bit back and my 12yo just decided to give it a whirl as she idolizes Audrey Kitching and wants to continue to push her AR & Green living (majority of clothing from thrift, re-new re-use).

look forward to following your log. i agree with u 100%!

thank-you!

Sweet, I can't wait to read more as well. I'm happy to see more stories about badass single moms too. <3

lol, thanks!

Wonderful! You are a great example to your clients. Though I think the excuses are made more out of fair of failure than laziness... they are afraid they won't be able to so they figure it's best to not try, then try to justify that reasoning. I think it's incredible that you help them overcome their fears and transform their bodies the way you have.

• 2 weeks later...
i think u must b a v ery inspiring trainer 2 clients

That is def the hope

Yesterday (Monday):

Morning:

Cardio 20 min treadmill

Late Morning:

Squats 4 sets of 8

Bench Presses 4 sets of 8

Bent-Over Rows 4 sets of 8

Overhead Barbell Presses 4 sets of 8

Stiff-Legged Deadlifts 4 sets of 8

Barbell Curls 4 sets of 8

Calf Raises 4 sets of 8

Today (Tuesday):

Cardio 20 min on tread

Core Training:

Planks

Side Planks

V-Ups

Bicycle Kicks

Planned: 20 min cardio on tread late afternoon

Working towards a couple of goals. I have to get in a wedding gown by the 15th .....don't congratulate me though! it's for a magazine shoot I'm in they are shooting in Detroit. Seems I have been in a wedding gown twice, both for shoots but never wore on for either of my weddings

Next shooting for the online vid game I'm casted in, being second in command to the rebel army, my character has a muscular but lean build and I have to attend both shoots for it as well as live events (comic book & gaming conventions) ... so attempting to get "harder" for it.

• 1 month later...

I'm here still!

I relocated suddenly back "home" to the Eastern Shore of MD. Why? Because at the young age of 38 with two children in college and my youngest turning 13, I am expecting. Joining the stats of the % where birth control failed. I was in total denial as I was dieting down and training hard to come in for my shoots, but was gaining weight and starting to feel worn down and sick (morning sickness). I finally broke down and decided to find out why (I assumed it was stress of the move and such). After the initial shock wore off I had to do some serious planning, and am very blessed that God has entrusted me with another soul to raise.

Since I am a fitness model and personal trainer by trade, that put a damper on my plans and income (as in hit REALLY hard!). Obviously had to cancel all my shoots (over 30 of them) and don't feel comfortable spotting anyone. The photographers were more than gracious and many offered me other types of shoots. However I decided to move "home". I have shoots booked here for ads for family portriat studios where these studios (all over the country) advertise that they do maternity photos. Usually they use one of their clinets, but now have a model who is expecting, which works better for them. Also maternity clothing/catalogs/ads and artistic (think demi moore). So aside from that I have been in touch with some mags I work with on doing articles on fitness and pregnancy and recovery. Writing a book and doing fitness DVD's... these will also go through post partum. Let's face it if someone my age who has had as many as I can be fit and healthy and recover... there is no excuse! And.... since my diet is plant based, there simply isn't much information out there on.

So revamping my training once again! Will continue Yoga, staying away from core exercises and moving towards more isolated, keeping cardio at a nice steady rate

Ahhhh AND, still plan to compete.... but will be 2011 now

Congratulations!

Thank you!

Work on more articles tomorrow, finishing up client plans so I can get them sent off tonight ..... Monday is generally my program tweak day for them

Tomorrow I have appt in the morning, but willl work on some of my schedules and start diet plans etc for the pregnancy programs

before you get too pregnant , not you joe i am talking to siren, you should put a youtube video for your site (her fit life) on, well, youtube. They seem to work pretty good for alot of other training sites. You could then get more pregnant and put up another one for pregnancy training with another slant.

Have a happy pregnancy.

Thanks Joe! I have no idea what an online baby shower is though, lol

before you get too pregnant , not you joe i am talking to siren, you should put a youtube video for your site (her fit life) on, well, youtube. They seem to work pretty good for alot of other training sites. You could then get more pregnant and put up another one for pregnancy training with another slant.

Have a happy pregnancy.

Thank you! And already too preganant! Since I come in flat for modeling, I look like most women who are almost four months in .... my belly must have baby memory! I am actually larger than I was with any, but only there. From the back you can't tell, but from the side and front we are headed toward beach ball already.

I have no idea what an online baby shower is though, lol

Planning An Online Baby Shower - Tips for Planning and How They Work

Online baby showers are becoming more and more common in today’s computer savvy world. With the internet, family and friends who live far away can enjoy the baby shower as if they were sitting right next to the mom to be. It is a great way for the new mom to be to enjoy her baby shower anytime she wants with the people she loves.

Online baby showers can be used so that everyone you know has a chance to celebrate your special upcoming delivery. Anyone with access to a computer and the internet can enjoy every aspect of the baby shower. These types of showers are beneficial to the new mom that has been put on bed rest or they can compliment traditional baby showers that have already taken place. You can share photos of your pregnancy from start to finish and keep all of your friends and family updated on your health and your little one. This also leaves the option open to announcing when your precious bundle of joy is born. Message boards can also be used for your online baby shower allowing your friends to say a little something to the new mom to be. The new mom to be can register online and post the registry on her online baby shower website. Then the pre approved baby items can be shipped directly to the new mom. This is an easily accessible option for her closet friends and family.

Invitations for this unique baby shower are fun and free. You can create them online and send them through your guests’ emails. Games can still be played during an online baby shower. Creative baby puzzles or baby name lists can be submitted from each one of your attending party guests. Web cams can be added to the online baby shower that will give your guests visuals of the new mom opening her gifts and showing off that beautifully big baby belly. If this is not an option, then pictures from a digital camera can be added to your website to show off all of the baby shower festivities.

Using an online baby shower is convenient and affordable. With this type of shower the new mom can have her shower whenever she wants. It can even take place after her new bundle of joy has arrived. Imagine all of the baby pictures that would be posted then! It is now time to start the oooing and ahhhing from your home computer.

Thanks everyone

Joe, that looks like fun!

Today:

30 min cardio on treadmill no incline.

My cardio is a fast walk bringing the heartrate up, but not too much. During pregnancy a drastic increase in body temperature during exercise can hurt baby. So exercising at an optimal level is very important!

Later, cardio may become more difficult as balance gets thrown off and during the last trimester the joints are much looser. Will be adusting accordingly.

Weights: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps (planned)

Exercises during can be tricky. Core exercises should be eliminated and any exercises in which lying on the back is required as this can potentially reduce the babys oxygen delivery again causing harm. Especially important by the 2nd and 3rd trimester.

Meals today:

300-500 cal per day increase for pregnant women.

Meal 1: This one is very late for me since I am still suffering from morning sickness which actually occurs in the morning for this one! Sights, sounds and odors trigger a nasty effect, lol Getting lemon juice today, the smell of lemon juice helped during the last one.

Late:

baked tofu

ezekiel bread (toasted) w/peanut butter

herbal tea

water

Meal 2:

granola cereal with soy milk w/scoop of pp

fresh orange juice

water

Just got back from my initial work up and am so happy!

I have been anemic since I was 12 years old and very much so with pregnancy. Of course when I went vegan, they tried to blame it on it, but had no answer when I asked .... so why before then? Any how, after getting so sick while competing (lump taken out near spine was found to be the main culprit). I took a huge interest in nutrition and how it used in the body. Why won't some supps work for some people (not absorbable)? Why do some work? In what form are nutrients more readily available (pill, with food ... raw, cooked, etc)? I of course then got certified as a personal trainer along the way.

I have not been tested for iron in a couple years, now here I am after being anemic since twelve and of course pregnant and all my levels are normal! I stopped taking an iron sup way back since it simply wasn't working.... so this is all food choices I feel huge, but in clothes weighed in at 132, so not too bad, and BP is perfect as well.

Anyhow .... just proves what you stuff in your face DOES make a difference! I have "cured" myself of high cholestrol, high blood pressure and now anemia through my food choices. How cool is that?