Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: coroho's strength training log
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:13 am 
Manatee

chewybaws wrote:
Nice work on squats/dead/press man!

What are BCAA's for? I've seen the name everywhere but never actually checked out what they are

Thanks :D BCAAs I first heard about here and here. They're basically to prevent muscle breakdown and facilitate muscle recovery.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:38 pm 
Manatee

1/29/10
Squats: 86kg 5,5,5,4,5
Bench Press: 63.5kg 5x5 PR
Barbells Rows: 52.5kg 5x5
Dips: 12,10,8

Squats: Main problem today was keeping form. Some were all over the place, and I had some good morning action going on.
Bench Press: Last two sets were pretty damn hard. Think I could eek out a few more kg's if I could solidy form.
BBRows: I hope I'm doing these right, I don't really feel it in my lats (spinal erectors yeah though).
Dips: Started out strong but got fatigued. Takes me a minute to set up at the start of each set, need to cut that out.
I think Wednesday I might've just been jacked up on caffeine, having had an extra cup of coffee than usual. Maybe I'll give that a try again on Monday.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:46 pm 
Elephant

Your bench rocks.

See the BCAA do you take it for so many weeks at a time then off for a week (I remember reading you're supposed to do this with creatine).

How you feeling now you've been taking it for a few days?

I was planning on taking creatine after I got back into a solid routine again. If this helps I'll prob take it too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:40 pm 
Manatee

nah, no need to cycle. actually i've heard the creatine cycling thing is not really necessary either. i plan on taking that too but i wanted to introduce stuff one thing at a time to see what does what. the bcaa's i think are helping, i've made those PRs and it seems like I have more energy late in sets when normally i would be getting tired. should be a few more workouts before i can say i'm consistently having these results. hopefully some more PRs will accompany those results :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:33 pm 
Manatee

2/01/10
BW: 158.6lbs
Squats: 86kg 5x5 PR
Overhead Press: 43kg 5,5,5,5,4
Deadlift: 116kg 1x5 PR
Chinups: 5,5,5

I incorporated gripping the bar as hard as you can on OHP and it helped, but once that last rep came down I just couldn't get it back up :evil: Besides that today was a good day. Lots of strong people squatting and deadlifting, almost no plates were left for the leg press machines :lol:

Last edited by coroho on Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:35 pm 
Stegosaurus

Nice work!

Happiness is a personal choice!
I am the sole source of all my sadness and joy.

"The logic of worldly success rests on a
fallacy: the strange error that our perfection
depends on the thoughts and
opinions and applause of other men."
Source: Thomas Merton

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:20 am 
Elephant

wow! nice work dude. i gotta get me in on these BCAA's!

what kinda grip you using on deads? i'm shitting myself about doing them tomorrow since i didn't do ANY last week. i'll prob get confused and try to do a barbell row or something :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:12 am 
Manatee

haha :D I've been drinking coffee beforehand too, it's a combination that seems to work for me (plus an excuse to drink wonderful coffee). for deadlift i use overhand grip for as long as i can (usually my last warmup set) then switch to mixed grip for my work set, with chalk of course. i also hold the last rep at the top for as long as i can, supposed to help with grip strength.

also thanks joe!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:41 pm 
Manatee

2/03/10
Squats: 88.5kg 5x5
Bench Press: 66kg 5,5,5,4,4
Barbell Rows: 55kg 3x5

Squats: First set was hard, but the rest were fairly straight forward.
Bench Press: Proper failed my last rep on the 4th set. Didn't have a spotter and had to roll it off my stomach. Much harder than when I last had to do that at 40 something kg.
Rows: Only did 3x5 cause I suspect I might be cheating a bit at the top. Gonna bring a camera and check next time.
I've got to get my workout time back under control. I didn't even do dips today cause it was already past the 90 minute mark. I've been good about not going long on breaks between sets, I think I just need to speed up my warm ups. It was almost 30m before I did my first squat working set today :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:11 am 
Elephant

Squats are looking good! What do you do for warmup? I often just go straight into squats and do many reps with an empty bar to start off. And what about cooldown/stretching?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:34 pm 
Manatee

I don't do anything too intensive in itself. Foam roll my legs, few minutes on a stationary bike on days I don't walk to the gym, couple bw squats, leg swings(2x10), side-to-side leg swings(2x10), shoulder dislocations(2x10). Then I do 2 sets with the empty bar and 3-4 warm up sets. Next time I'm just going to do everything back to back and see how long it takes without any breaks. Squats are looking good tho, got 200 lbs next time then I've got my sights set on 100kg :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:07 pm 
Elephant

coroho wrote:
I don't do anything too intensive in itself. Foam roll my legs, few minutes on a stationary bike on days I don't walk to the gym, couple bw squats, leg swings(2x10), side-to-side leg swings(2x10), shoulder dislocations(2x10). Then I do 2 sets with the empty bar and 3-4 warm up sets. Next time I'm just going to do everything back to back and see how long it takes without any breaks. Squats are looking good tho, got 200 lbs next time then I've got my sights set on 100kg :D

Holy crap, that's about as many exercises as you actually do in your workout haha. Maybe if I actually warmed up I wouldn't get injured so often!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:52 pm 
Manatee

2/05/10
Squats: 90.5kg 5x5 PR
Press: 43kg 4,4,4,3,3
Deadlift: 118kg 1x5 PR
Pullups: 3,2,2

Squats: Really hard today, may repeat the weight due to questionable form.
Press: Just lacked energy on these. First set I actually tried 44kg but I knew beforehand I probably wouldn't get it.
Deadlift: Really glad I got this. I was afraid I was gonna fail judging by the warmup sets.
Pullups: Terribad. Again, didn't have much energy left.
Glad I got two days break. Hopefully I'll have more energy on Monday. I did manage to get in and out in 90 minutes though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:11 pm 
Manatee

2/08/10
BW: 159.2lbs
Squats: 90.5kg 5x5
Bench Press: 66kg 5x5 PR
Barbell Rows: 55kg 5x5
Dips: 12,9,8

Squats: Again these about wore me out, but I think I gotta just suck it up and move on. 100kg isn't gonna get any lighter :P
Bench Press: Didn't have much difficulty with this today.
BBRows: My camera died when I went to record, but I just kept strict form and think I'll give myself a pass.
Dips: I'm tempted to add weight to these even though my numbers aren't going up. I feel like I'd get more out of them.
I was feeling froggy enough for some chinups at the end, but my time had runneth over. Someone asked me for a spot for the first time today Image I don't think it was completely random either.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:54 pm 
Manatee

2/10/10
Squats: 93kg 4,2 / 84kg 3,3
Press: 43kg 5,5,4,3,4
Deadlift: 120kg 1x4
Chinups: 5,5,4

Squats: Ugh, don't know what I was doing today. Felt like I was doing more harm than good, even after I took some weight off.
Press: That's 3 failed attempts, might be time to deload.
Deadlift: Heavy shit, almost got it though.
Failed at everything, really bad day all around. Just gonna make sure I'm eating enough over the next couple days and get back to it on Friday.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next