Mikkei's New Training Log

mikkei

Hey everyone. I've been off the forum for some time now and the simple reason is that I haven't been training. I took some (maybe a lot) of time to sort out my professional life, and landed a (potentially) well-paying steady job that I can commit to instead of working 3 jobs a week and still trying to cram in freelance work just to pay the bills.

I really haven't been on my game and today I'm getting back on it. Or maybe I'm getting on an all new game. New month, new game. Anyway, I love (and always have loved) this forum because it makes people (specifically me) accountable. Sharing everything in a public place keeps you honest, so in the interest of being honest and accountable, I have some confessions and goals I need to lay out.

Confessions:

1. I have had more than a couple of days where I totally fell off the raw diet. I can clearly feel the effects of it and it sucks.

2. I've neglected my training, but I've already said that haven't I?

Goals:

1. Get a visible six-pack.

2. Bench press my bodyweight. Last time I was at the gym I lifted 90lbs. I have a good ways to go.

3. Increase relative strength.

4. Get bodyfat between 3% and 3.5%

5. Make fitness a way of life, and not just a goal.

6. Serve as an example of what you can do on a raw vegan diet.

I'm not sure what my training plan is going to be like. All I know is that I'm doing it raw vegan with intensity, dedication, and accountability. I'm going to be calorie counting online, more to keep track of the foods I eat than to restrict myself. I'm using livestrong.com now, but would love to hear suggestions about others.

I've also been drawing inspiration from gymjones.com. They have a slogan that reads "There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle." I figure when I've reached my goal, I'll get what it means.

If there's anyone in the Beaverton area that is interested in an EARLY morning workout partner at 24 fitness, please hit me up. I'm also down to be a virtual training partner to give mutual motivation to anyone who's interested in a similar program. I'll call you at 4am everyday and ask you why you're not at the gym yet!!

Anyway, I started the day with a glass of cayenne pepper, lemon juice and water, followed by a couple glasses of pure water. Going to the gym at 6am.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, these forums were my addiction when I first started! Without it I would have barely met anyone after I moved to Portland, OR.

I wouldn't say I'm going for either bodybuilding or strength training. I'm hoping for a ripped physique as a result of increased fitness and strength.

• 1 month later...

Well, I've still been pretty inconsistent, but I got a good quick workout in today.

I did:

Turkish Get Ups (20lbs DB) paired with Knee Jumps (40lbs BB) for 3 sets.

Bench Press, high reps with 70lbs, for 5 sets.

Deadlifts with 135 (just above bodyweight) for 5 sets.

Decline pushups with 10lbs DB for 3 sets.

400 meters of rowing

The workout was quick, but high intensity. I'm hoping to getting small workouts in 5 days a week and progress to longer after I get it back into my routine.

4. Get bodyfat between 3% and 3.5%

Why do you want to try reaching such a low bodyfat??Abs can be visible also at the 8-10 % range depending on the individual. You want to maintain there or try it for once? I mean it can be pretty unhealthy such a low percentage..I think 3% is the fat only needed for your organs..you also need it for the fat soluble vitamins and.... ....

Btw , turkish get ups might be cool, eh? I've never tried it but it seems interesting enough as part of training..

Yeah, I know that 3-3.5% sounds pretty low and it's not just something I picked arbitrarily. I noticed that when I was completely raw, had the most energy, and felt the most physically fit I was around 3% body fat. Also, the only place the only place (other than my organs) that accumulates fat is my gut, so at 7% I have no visible abs.

Turkish get ups are one of my new favorites. I love full body exercises like that because it's something I never did much of before. They totally kill me and I can only do it with a 25lbs DB max.

Oh Forgot to say congrats on the new job. I never did Turkish Getups with Dumbbells. Always used a bar (which is killer for stability). If you have access to some light bars (i wouldn't start with a 45 pounder) give it a shot and let me know your thoughts. Do you do overhead squats? That is another total body killer.

Thanks! The new job is good. I might be making that one full-time soon so I'm not so spread out. It'll definitely let me get more consistent at the gym.

Hit up the gym at 6am today. Had another short, high-intensity workout.

4 sets of dips, doing as many as I could for full range of motion and then switching to negatives.

4 sets of barbell rows with 80lbs.

barbell squats, going deep with 65lbs.

Clean and Jerk with 50lbs.

leg raises.

bicep DB curl with 20lbs.

with 40lbs barbell.

500 meters of rowing on a Concept 2.

Good workout. My quads were killing from the knee jumps I did yesterday, so the squats were brutal. This makes 2 days in the gym in a row my record for the past couple months. If I can get in tomorrow, I'll be happy and take a rest day Saturday.

And one quick note...

I'm trying to keep all my workouts fresh and new, both to not get bored and to keep my body guessing so it doesn't get used to anything. I can think of a lot of different exercises to do, but it would be cool to incorporate things that don't even come from me directly.

Suggest any exercises and I'll try to put at least three of the suggestions in my workout tomorrow!

Forgot to update my last workout. I actually did my "Friday" workout on Thursday night, since I knew it'd be really busy all Friday.

I did:

Overhead Squats (Very light, but deep)

Dumbbell Swings @ 25lbs (No kettlebells available)

Leg lifts and hip thrusts

DB Shrugs w/ 60lbs each.

Stiff-legged Dead Lifts

Cable Rows

Tricep Rope Pushdown

Standing Calf Raises holding a 25lbs plate.

Good short workout. I was pretty beat from doing one in the morning, but I'm glad I went. Saw Robert and Julia, so that was rad. I tried overhead squats for the first time and I had to do it light so that I could work on form.

It's no Sunday and my legs are still sore. Calves are especially sore, which is surprising since I didn't use that much weight on my calf raises. I guess it's just been a while. Looking forward to hitting it up tomorrow, but not sure if I'll have time. Tuesday for sure though.

Thanks for the suggestions Mary Stella! I tried two, but am not sure what a wall ball is. I'll have to look it up.

Didn't workout out much yesterday, just did some push ups, chair dips, and crunches at work.

Today I hit up the gym at 6am and did:

Pull ups and negatives

Good Mornings

Decline Bench Press (New 1RM Personal Best at 100lbs)

Deadlift (New 1RM Personal Best at 205lbs, almost made 225lbs)

Side crunches with 10lbs and 25lbs

Decline crunches with 10lbs plate

Push Up to DB Row

Good workout. Now time for work.

whoo hoo! overhead squats!!!! GOOD STUFF!!! Nice on the DB swings too!

Wallballs are:

Holding a medicine ball squats down and on the top of the squat throw the medicine ball at a target on the wall. When you catch the ball you immediately go down into a squat so it is all one fluid motion. I like to use a 20lb medicine ball at a 10 foot target but I would suggest start with a lighter ball and a shorter target until you learn the motions. I will try to post a video link of it for you. Great total body exercise.

I was at the gym at 6am today. Seems like that's the only time I can rely on being able to get there. I warmed up (which is new for me) with 1,000 meters of rowing in 5 minutes. The moved on to biceps and triceps:

Parallel Bar Dips: four sets, last was mostly negatives.

Alternating Dumbbell curls: 12.5lbs, 15lbs, 17.5lbs, and finally 20lbs.

Rope Cable Pushdown: 30lbs, 40lbs, 30lbs.

Rope Cable Hammer Curl: 30lbs, 40lbs, 40lbs.

DB Kickbacks: 12lbs for three sets.

Barbell Curls: 25lbs for three sets.

This is my first real bodypart-specific training session since getting back into it. I've been sticking to mostly full body exercises, but my calves are still wrecked from Thursday, so I had to lay off legs. I noticed that my arm strength has diminished a lot since I took all that time off, but I feel confident that it will come back fast and build even faster (up until a point).

Looking forward to busting out some Turkish get ups tomorrow and maybe trying some overhead squats again. I'll also need something random that I'm not expecting, so throw something at me!

Also, I just looked back at my old logs and complied my personal bests for the important exercises.

Deadlift: 205#

Squat: 135#

Bench: 100#

Pullups: 15 reps

Maybe not much, but my bodyweight's only 128# right now.

The squat and bench are not 1 RM max or anything, just the heaviest I used to do for reps before I took my break. I'm eager to see what my 1 RM actually is.