RaVen's Nest, Take II...

Okay, I've got a goal finally. I'm giving myself 4 long months to get my arms in shape. I like THIS woman's arms and shoulders. I hope to get even halfway there!

SO, hopefully ZenMaster Phoenix, will drop in and keep giving his sound words of wisdom They are very encouraging. And EVERYONE is welcome! Feel feel to critique, comment, suggest, I need it and it will be appreciated. And, if you just want to drivel on about anything, or rant and rave, feel free to come on over

I saved my intro from my last log, so I'll post it again, modified a bit:

My short-term goal is to get my arms into better shape; Long-term is to somehow, find a way to enjoy/stick to a weightlifting program for life so as to achieve and maintain bone health/growth.

I've been running for about 12 years regulary (because I love it), but just don't like lifting. Matter of fact, sometimes I hate it. Was running 10 miles a day.

Goal is to cut down on running (this is *very* difficult for me. I have a lot of energy) and increase weightlifting.

I haven't lifted in MONTHS; and when I did, it was sporadic and not very fruitful. I burn out on it, mostly because it is a chore.

I will post a food log occasionally, but that also is very routine now, with only slight variations.

------------------------------

Background:

Exercise: I run, cycle, study Hapkido (not sure for how much longer)

Diet: Vegan: Raw, fresh, whole foods only; no dehydrated or gourmet "raw"; no grains

(Raw,for now; been at it for over a year now-feeling better than ever.)

Supplements: I like to experiment from time to time with new things. Right now, I'm taking some raw maca in my green smoothies, and I notice some benefit (feeling a slight energy boost and a more sustained energy). I tried it several months ago, but I took the recommended starting amount which was 1/2 tsp. -- did nothing for me. Now I take the 1 TB and notice a difference.

MSM

Borage oil

B-12 tablet

Calcium (probably don't need it, but I take it for insurance) with Magnesium (helps *alot*with muscle fatigue/cramping and that twitching I hate)

Occasionally, I add raw hemp protein to my green smoothies.

Occasionally, I have some raw rice protein.

General Health: Excellent! got a clean bill of health from the doc; no deficiencies (must be the green smoothies!) Bloodwork, heart, etc. all great.

Dental: Great. I had some teeth sensitivity before cleaning up my diet, but it wasn't major. No cavities My sensitivity is gone now,and on my last visit, my dentist remarked at my "beautiful gums"! So that was great to hear. (greensmoothies rule!:smt016 )

Injuries: Nothing new; but I do have permanent vertebrae injuries from a car accident in '97. Unfortunately, it's affecting my Hapkido now, and it does keep me from a few fun sports activities. Otherwise, no injuries.

Sunday, February 19

Rest day

Food Log:

-Green Smoothie, 50 oz: Collards, Bok Choy, Kale; Green Apple, lemon; Green Rooibos,HoneyBush tisanes; stevia;1 TB Maca

-Fruit Meal: Apples

-Dinner: 2 bags of romaine salad; 1 container Mache (lamb's lettuce); sweet onions; mushrooms; cucumber; 2 C broccoli sprouts; homemade walnut dressing; flax seeds; 1/2 tsp borage oil.

Monday, February 20

5 Tibetan Rites

6-mile run (with 6 sets of fartleks: three 60-second; three 90-second)

5 sets of 15 bicep curls, 15# (Help!)

Hapkido

Notes: I had a few days off which is unusual for me. I wanted to run 10 miles, but I held back. Beautiful weather for running. I have Hapkido later, and running too much on those days insures a suboptimal performance.

Hope my wimpy arms are at least sore tomorrow.

Edited by _raVen_

Hey raVen, is the change in the avatar a reflection of a change in your mind set? You're looking pretty fearsome

Looks to me like you're more focused and your goal is definitely within your grasp.....

It's just sitting there, all you have to do is take it......

How many miles a week do you usually run? Do ever do races? Why do you think you like running but not strength training?

My running is getting sporadic. There was a time I ran 7 days a week, up to 65+ miles.

Then I used to run 6 days @ 45 miles (but that was on dry sand -- awesome! I miss that Sooo much Best shape I've ever been)

Ect... So now I'm just all over the place, trying to get control. I want to run less and make up for it with some weightlifting. I would like a more even level of fitness. My hapkido is good for all over conditioning, but I'd like to work on my arms and shoulders more; so I don't need too, too much (Yea, I do).

Why do I like running but not strength training? Hmmm...good question. I love the feeling I get from running. There is the "runner's high," but it's more than that because that "high" is not there all the time. I do know running benefits me emotionally ("feel good" brain juice) and it relieves a lot of stress, which I have regularly. It also feels good physically...the stride, the breathing...when it's all in a rhythm and in sync there's nothing like it! I feel like a machine that's just running perfect -- no pain no nothing. It's almost as if the world is blocked out and there's nothing but me, just going -- dreamlike; yet it feels very natural, almost more natural than not running, if you can understand that.

Or else...damn, I need a date!

Now, lifting Hmm...maybe I'm not good at it? I don't know. I'm not big on things in which I don't excel . (same problem with math in school; not that I couldn't do it, I just wasn't interested)

When I do it most of the time I feel like I just want it to be over. I have felt good doing it at times, but, now that you've made me think of it, I was taking creatine at the time I would have this burst of energy which, for some reason made me want to lift; and it felt good to do it. That was years ago.

Wow, I went on and on...lol. Sorry. Guess it's good to be asked, thanks.

My Zen Master Phoenix! I don't know, maybe my new avatar was a subconscious decision...hadn't thought of that

It's just sitting there, all you have to do is take it...

Is it? Think I can get my arms in shape like I want? is/isn't on my side?

I'm gonna give it a shot. Yea. Thanks for the boost[/b]

Everyone sucks at weights to start with, you can get better and enjoy it if you pace it? But maybe you just don't like it at all, there are some exercises that I just find uncomfortable or irritating and I avoid them, and if I felt that way about all of them, I wouldn't lift at all. 65 miles of running in a week is intense

Richard,Pace it? You mean like do very little? That's all I do, lol. But, you know, maybe I just need a plan. I need structure with this, maybe? Since it's not like running which I love to do, so I just do it naturally, maybe I need a schedule.

Anyone got a routine for me? I've got 10-and 15-lb weights. I've got wrist weights (2 lbs. each); leg weights (5 lbs. each); and a pullups bar.

I have a gym membership, but I don't have the extra time it takes to deal with it. I swear it must be over an hour of wasted time, getting dressed, driving there, finding parking, getting a locker, waiting for machines, etc., etc...So I keep it for when I'm out of town or the odd day I need to boost myself out of a plateau or if experiencing stormy weather.

My triceps are the worst, my shoulders are not bad; but I really need a total arm workout.

Any solid routines you know? I looked up some and got a few ideas.

Thanks! And everyone's suggestions are welcome!

Well what I meant was, you lift a weight until you can do more reps than you need to do, then you up the weight, and do as many as you can with that new weight. Then when you are doing too many reps with that, you up it again, until your body is the shape you want it to be, then you stick with that weight so you don't get bigger. So if you either A) fart around with tiny weights that don't strain you or B) pick giant weights you can barely move, then those situations won't be fun and you won't really see development. So you pace yourself in as much as you go through the weights when you know they are getting too easy for you. With the equipment you have, that kind of progression won't happen though because you don't have anywhere to progress to other than more reps :P

You can work your triceps with push-ups, and the elevated push-ups where you have your feet on a chair or on a step.

Zen master eh??

Yes, the change in the avatar is definitely a new reflection

Time? Don't get me started on time. Worrying about this future or that future is insanity. Exist in the right now and the future simply happens.

It's like when you run. The "zone" is timeless. You exist in the zone while the miles pass away behind you.

Perhaps that's why you don't like lifting, you can't get into a zone because of the many breaks.

Like math and anything else it does take practice to get into it or get good.

As for your arms...Well, the tricep muscle is the largest muscle and you can increase the size of your arms more quickly by working this muscle group. I'm told the tricep press using a barbell is the best for putting on mass in the tricep area. That's like doing a bench press or push ups with your hands about 8-12 inches apart. You have to find a weight that you can handle and use good form to get 8-12 reps (this depends on who you talk to...DW might say 12-20) before you increase the weight. An increase in weight per arm for you might mean another 2.5 to 5 lbs per arm as long as you can do at least 5-6 reps.

There are other exercises for the tris but you should find one you like to start off with.

The same goes for the bicep curls re. starting weight and reps before increasing the weight.

Measure your arms around the bicep tricep area before you start. Arms react relatively quickly to exercise but if you're looking to build mass of course you have to increase carb/protein to support the new muscle dev.

Look, if you can hold it together to run like you do, building muscle on your arms will NOT be a problem.

...With the equipment you have, that kind of progression won't happen though because you don't have anywhere to progress to other than more reps :P

Well, I think 15 lbs. is good for me to start. Sad as it is. Thanks for the explanation.

You can work your triceps with push-ups, and the elevated push-ups where you have your feet on a chair or on a step.

Okay, I'll look into that; the chair thing always scares me, though.

Zen master eh??

It's like when you run. The "zone" is timeless. You exist in the zone while the miles pass away behind you.

Ooh, I like that Thanks.

Perhaps that's why you don't like lifting, you can't get into a zone because of the many breaks.

Mm, I don't know...maybe it's just boring?

Like math and anything else it does take practice to get into it or get good.

Are you telling me to suck it up and quit http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/Raven_PZ/SMILEYS/violiniboohoo.gif

Lol

...You have to find a weight that you can handle and use good form to get 8-12 reps (this depends on who you talk to...DW might say 12-20) before you increase the weight. An increase in weight per arm for you might mean another 2.5 to 5 lbs per arm as long as you can do at least 5-6 reps.

Do you mean those tricep exercises where you hold a weight over your head (standing) drop it back behind the head and then lift it up over your head? Sorry, dang, I can't remember the name of that exercise. I'm not sure what exercise you're telling me to do with the weight.

Measure your arms around the bicep tricep area before you start. Arms react relatively quickly to exercise but if you're looking to build mass of course you have to increase carb/protein to support the new muscle dev.

They do? See pics below for reference

Look, if you can hold it together to run like you do, building muscle on your arms will NOT be a problem.

Ah, awesome, thanks!

Okay, here are some (*embarrassing*) pics to give you an idea.

First pic @ 2 years ago -- This is me flexing hard! on a cooked, (fair) vegan diet, AND lifting weights regularly! Not good; not good at all. Note there is a lot of fat on the bottom. That makes my upper arms have no shape or contour.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/Raven_PZ/RaVen%20WIP/Picture17160x120.jpg

Second pic -- My arm, not having lifted at all in many months, but this right after (about a week) going high raw (1 year ago). I obviously had muscle underneath, and the improved diet, caused me to lose that thin layer of fat which gave me the "soft" look above. Looks better doing nothing on a good diet than doing a lot on an average diet. Now I just need to find the right routine to get some shape, since my diet is clean; hopefully, I can balance out.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/Raven_PZ/RaVen%20WIP/Picture22160x1201.jpg

Third pic -- This is most recent (a few months ago, but basically me as I am now), still having done no weightlifting at all.

Now, note the fat at the bottom is still there, and I want to get rid of/replace (or tighten) that completely. It's the toughest area for me, I'm guessing that requires more tricep work?

Sadly, this is me flexing, so it's still pretty weak...once my arm is down, there is only a little bit of shape to it. I want my arms to be solid and shaped, like the arms of the woman in the pic in my original post.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/Raven_PZ/RaVen%20WIP/ArmFlex.jpg

I know everyone says you can't get rid of fat by "spotting"; but I really can't afford to lose any weight... I'm a light weight.

So this is it. This is what I'm working with, here, guys, so what do you think?

raVen, you're far more critical than I am. I can't see any fat at all.

There's lots of different exercises you could do.... At home the easiest are chinups for biceps and pushups or dips for triceps. Dips are better for triceps than pushups. You can do dips with a kitchen counter and a table. Use some books to get the two to the same height. For starters just try to do a few sets of each, 2 or 3 times a week and slowly add a few more reps. If chins are too hard you can use your feet against the sides of the door to help pull you up.... You should get back to being able to do 3 like you did before pretty quick.

But it's hard to say really what you ought to do because there's lot of different things you could do and the main thing is to just find something that you like to do instead of something that you really have to try to motivate yourself to do.

So this is it. This is what I'm working with, here, guys, so what do you think?

Looks fine to me, have you got any photos of what you are aiming for? Pictures of other people's arms that you like?

What is it that scares you about doing push-ups off a chair? Maybe you could work your way up, start with putting your feet on a phone book, then work up to like, a bread bin or something, then get to a stool then a chair etc.

Thanks, Jay. I know what you mean. I feel like I've tried so many things and they don't work. Or maybe I'm not sticking to it long enough before I try something else, or worse, burn on it

I guess this is why I'd like a set routine to do. I still no pretty much zero about weights. I've tried to read online, but it gets so technical, like I'm supposed to know what all the terminology means; and it's boring too

I've been to the stumptuous site many times and others too, but I don't really know how to make a routine for what I want.

Richard, My very first post, third sentence has a picture of what I want.

Isn't it easy to slip doing the chair thing? Maybe I'm thinking of something else. I can't afford to get injured right now; as it is Hapkido keeps me pretty bruised up!

O sorry, I got confused. Yeah I looked at that picture when I read the thread first time then forgot :s your arms are already more toned than hers I think. hers look a bit bigger perhaps. Chin ups will increase size of your bicep. Maybe consider buying slightly bigger weights? 15lbs is definitely a good start, but I imagine someone like her lifts / can lift more than that in a single-arm bicep curl. Your arms look fine as they are though, although it's the tricep you're mainly concerned with, which I guess I can't see so much on the photo of the other lady.

If you're scared of the chair falling over, put the chair next to the wall so the back of it is pressed up and can't shift. Or use a couch, that definitely isn't going anywhere

I don't see a problem here to be very honest. I agree with everyone else who has said your arms look great.

But I also understand that we are all our own worst critics.

The dips that Jay was talking about can be done with two chairs facing each other. Your feet up on one and your hands supporting your weight on the other. Hmm....difficult to describe. But basically you are bending at the elbows and allowing your bodyweight to come down so that your arms are at a 90 degree angle and then pushing back up.

Or you can do the exercices you described, or you can do the pushups. But the thing to remember is that to build mass you have to keep increasing the weight to keep challenging the muscle to grow.

Find a weight or exercise that you can only do for 6-8 reps to start. Do it until you can do it 8-12 times then up the weight so that you can only do it for 6-8 reps. Work with it until you can do it 8-12 times then up the weight again.

And yes, just do it

thanks for all the great advice, tips, and encouragement, GUYS!!

Let me just clarify, though: My arms are not even close to the woman's in the photo. The bottom of my flexed arm (tri area) is totally soft. There is virtually no muscle to be felt there; no shape, no visible countours...sucks! The woman in the pic has cut arms whether she flexes or not -- that's what I want

I guess I'll have to figure out some sort of routine...

Will get on it.

Been very busy...

Tuesday, February 28

30-minute cycle, a.m.

30-minute cycle p.m.

Food log:

Meal #1: Green Smoothie - Kale, romaine, green leaf lettuce, mache; blueberries, cranberries; lemon; maca; 1 TB flax seeds; 1/2 tsp borage oil

Meal#2: 3 bags of romaine lettuce; ground broccoli; cucumber; zucchini; onions; homemade pumpkin seed dressing

Meal #3: Apples

Meal #4: Cauliflower, chopped; sliced mushrooms; homemade Miso sauce

--------

Notes: I've made some changes here.

In my quest to do less running, I'm doing more cycling -- interval training -- which is pretty challenging. Lots of sweating.

Also with my running, I'm taking my own advice and doing more fartleks; but I'm doing a variation from a HIIT program. See how this works...

Haven't figured out how many days a week I should work my biceps and triceps...My tris were so sore that it's been about 4 days since I've done them. Anyone reading this know how many days I should go in between?

My diet is being moved around a bit, but it's the same foods.

I'm cutting my fruit intake by having a veg meal as my second meal of the day -- this fills me up so I consume WAY less fruit. I can easily get out of control with it, which I, eventually, always do if I don't watch it. Also taking my flax and borage with my a.m. smoothie instead of with my veg meal.

Wednesday, March 1

5-mile run (Fartleks @ 80 %)

cycle - projected, p.m..

Jay, no, I don't. That would mean a specialized training program, and I'm not prepared for that; I'm not particularly interested in racing. Running is not an area in which I feel competitive; other athletics I would be but only if I'm playing a team sport. I used to love floor hockey and flag football Was pretty good in softball too; lousy at basketball, lousy at volleyball... Soccer seems like something I'd be good at. Hmmm...maybe I should join a team this summer.

Have you started jogging yet?

A little. I used to do 30 mpw. Also used to run a few hours a week with a 40 pound pack..... Right now I just wanted to go with my wife every other day for a short run. (She's slower than me.) But she hasn't been feeling up to it. I need to remember to go even though she doesn't want to.

I've noticed my resting heart rate dropped almost 20 beats just from a couple runs. I hadn't run for like a year and my heart rate was around 72 or so. Dropped to mid/low 50's just from two short runs before I had surgery.

Sounds like you'd be pretty good at races.... Have you never entered a race at all? I'd think it'd be fun...

Jay, I'm ordering "Bait and Switch"; thanks for the recommendation in your sig. I've been wanting to read "Nickled and Dimed" for a long time -- should I read it first?

Wednesday, March 1

5-mile run (HIIT-fartleks)

No Hapkido today; did a 30-minute cycle(interval)

Shoulders

Triceps

Food Log:

Meal #1: Green Smoothie - Kale, collards, butter lettuce, green leaf lettuce; 1/2 grapefruit, 4 lrg. strawberries; 1 TB maca; 1 TB flax seeds; 1/2 tsp borage oil

Meal #2: 1 Bag of Romaine, 1 head of butter lettuce; 1 pckg microgreens (yummy!); cucumber; onions; ground broccoli; homemade Sesame seed dressing

Meal #3: Apples

Meal #4: Cauliflower, chopped, with Miso sauce.

----

Notes: had a bit of nausea with the HIIT-farlek routine

It was a 5-minute warm-up jog to start. Then a 1-minute all-out run, then back to a 1-minute jog; back to a 1-minute hard run, 1-minute jog, etc. VERY tough.

Now I know why it is only to be done for 15 -30 minutes. I did this for 2.5 miles, then for the last 2.5 I did a variation: I ran hard (@ 80% max output) for as long as I could sustain it, then slowed to a jog for only 1 minute; run hard as long as I could, then jog for 1 minute, etc....even TOUGHER.

I was sweating a lot, which doesn't happen much because my body has acclimated to long runs.

Since this was new, I did my hard run at 80% my maximum effort. Hopefully, will see some improvement there; I don't know. It wiped me out! So this was good. The claim with this type of training is that it burns more fat than long runs and gets you cut fast with less running. We'll see! I'd love that. ;D.

Still doing interval training on the cycle which is pretty intense too. I'm incorporating the same concept as running.

I've been wanting to read "Nickled and Dimed" for a long time -- should I read it first?

I read Nickled and Dimed, it was a good read. I was able to read it in one sitting which is saying something since I generally won't sit still long enough to do that.

You know, that's exactly what I need -- something fast! -- especially right now, being pretty busy.

I have SO many books I'm reading at any given time, plus magazines! I must have 10 books right now unfinished

Thanks, I'll probably get it too.