Malckiera's umpteenth log

Hiya!

Not been here for ages, for one reason or another, one of them being that my motivation to do indeed any physical exercise at all, besides walking my dogs, seems to be going in cycles of roughly 1.5 - 2 years ... As it appears, I've just ended 1.5 years of practical inactivity and started running a couple of months ago. "Running" is a loose term tho ... half the time I barely go faster than someone who's walking, but hey, it's the thought that counts!

What's even more astounding: I've entered this 5.25 mile run in 2 weeks! Mate at work challenged me and that was that - should finally learn to keep my big mouth shut!

So I'm trying to run 2-3 times a week, with varying success rates. My biggest "obstacle", so to speak, is that I work full time and have 2 dogs, 2 Collie crosses of about 5-6 years old, so still with plenty of energy to burn. They get taken out for a quick walk at lunch time by my dog walker, but they need and deserve more than that, so the first thing that I do when I get home is taking them out, and most spare time during the weekends is spent walking too; my idea of a day out is taking my dogs out to somewhere nice and walking all day

Before you ask: I love Sparks and Kiera, my dogs, both to bits, but taking them running with me is, with their personalities, a bit more of a challenge than I'm up for at the moment

Last night I ran/walked about 4.25 miles and it nearly killed me! I'm one of those as well who runs until the legs don't want to move any more, then walks until legs are able again and then jogs on.

I know I could do with weight training to support the whole running thing, and I've signed up for a new gym that was supposed to open 2 or 3 weeks ago, but has postponed its opening till 23 Nov, too late to get anything decent done ahead of this run I will want to do some decent training tho, any suggestions for workouts much appreciated (I kinda know my way round a gym ). The best thing about this gym is, that it'll be open 24/7 - so workouts at 3AM are technically a possibility!

Right, thanks for taking the time to read this whole essay (and apologies if it bored you!), any feedback much appreciated!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woohoo!! Did a 3 mile run this afternoon and I had some energy left to spare!!! Tried it the smart way this time, i.e. got home from dog walk, had some porridge with raisins, then had a nap because I was dead knackerd, got up and left. Found a new route that I like, and sprinted up every incline and bridge on the way - about 5 or 6. Hardly walked at all, only times that I had to slow down or stop was because of other traffic.

So learned from last week and today's experiences: running 4 miles with inadequate food/drink/rest will damn near kill you, running 3 miles with plenty of rest and sustenance is SO good!! It might sound totally obvious, but I had to be reminded of the obvious indeed

Did a 3.5 mile run, took me 45 minutes, which is decent but can obviously be improved upon Really can't wait for this gym to open now, to get some weight training in too! I've spent my time at work well by trying to read up on weight training to support running, and it appears that light-ish weights and higher reps are the way foward. 2X12's it is then ...

Went for a short run today, did about 2+ miles in 22 minutes. 11 minutes/mile over 2 miles is a slight progress, cosidering that I could barely run a couple of 100 yards when I started running again a couple of months ago. The best motivation I find is looking back and realising the progress that I've made. Gym next week, woohoo!

Didn't go for a run during the weekend - for the simple reason that there just aren't enough hours in a Saturday and Sunday The guys (dogs) had not been for a decent walk all week - other than going to the park - so Sunday morning was theirs and we went to the woods for a couple of hours. It's got a few inclines, so I kind of did at least something The guys were knackered and took themselves to bed after they'd had their brekkie - goal achieved!

So went today, not feeling ridiculously great, but very aware of the fact that this race is looming in the now not so far distance ... Ended up doing 3.25 miles, managing to sprint the last 50+ yards home. Time wasn't amazing, 43 minutes (done better), but taking the wind and rain into consideration it's not too bad. Had a stretch and my legs are now satisfyingly on fire. Oh, and running with Senser screaming in my ears added a whole new dimenstion to the whole thing

Ran past my new gym that's finally opened today, doesn't look half bad! Will prolly have a workout on Wednesday - if I can fit it in with everything else ...

Thanks Robert, it is really nice to be back!

Finally made it to the new gym last night and did my first workout in aaages (well over a year I think ):

Did 10 mins jog on the treadmill as a warm up

Then did:

2X10 lat pull down @ 18 kgs (40 lbs)

2X10 seated row @ 18 kgs

2X10 bench press @ bar (I reckon plm 15 kgs), without plates

1X8, 1X6 military (shoulder) press @ 10 kgs

2x10 rotator cuff @ 1 kgs

2X10 sit ups on Swiss ball

(and plenty of stretching before, inbetween and afters )

Felt really great, and I would of pushed harder with a few weights, if it wasn't for this run coming up tomorrow (eeks!!) and I didn't want to risk being crippled already by DOMS - well impressed with my own sensibility there, don't happen too often!

The gym in itself is fine, it has indeed got everything you need and nothing you don't. I was surprised to see the number of people that were there at 8PM on a Friday evening, more than I'd expected. Of course I was the only woman in the free weights area, as per usual - plus the blokes were all 15-20 years younger than me. I'm sure I got a few looks when I went about doing 2x10 bench presses with just the bar, but it doesn't really bother me. I always get quite excited when I see other women leaving machines in favour of free weights, but it rarely happens unfortunately. To me, free weights ae the way forward!

Any case "rest" day today in preparation for this race tomorrow. Sparky, one of my dogs, quite happily pounced on me this morning to announce that it was 6AM and thus time to get up. He obviously doesn't do weekend lie ins ... So we've been to the park for an hour or so and I'll be doing my usual weekend stuff today. Rest tonight in bed maybe ....

Thanks Vivalasvegans!

Well, today was "the day", i.e. the day of the 5.25 mile run that started this whole renewed fitness thing off. Itwas cold and it was raining, and everyone else looked a lot fitter than me, but I did it! Ran/jogged almost all of it, walked a few yards a few times, and finished in 1:02, just under 12 mins/mile. Really pleased with that, considering that I've only started training again a couple of months ago, and not been that consistent either.

The plan now is to incorporate a lower body workout (squats, lunges etc) a week into the whole training route and of course to keep running! Will now have to wait first till DOMS have all subsided tho

Not posted for a week, was feeling a bit 'not right', if that makes sense

Went to the gym for a workout on Tuesday night, 1/12/09.

Did:

10 mins warm up on the rowing machine

stretch

2x10 lunges @ 2x5 kgs dumbells

1x10 squats @ bar + 5 kgs

1 rep into the second set and I got this feeling in my left hamstring, that if I was going down any further it would "ping" (my term for it, meaning that a muscle contracts way faster than it shuold, or contracts when it should lengthen - proper term suggestion would be much appreciated! ). Therefore stood back up too quickly and almost did the same with my right quad So abandoned that exercise altogether.

Then played it safe, and did

2x10 calf press @ 18kgs

2x10 crunch on swiss ball

Stretch

Went for a very gentle run on Wednesday 2/12/09, did about 2-odd miles

Today, 6/12/09.

Went for a 2.5 hour walk with the dogs (nice! ), then had a gym session in the evening. Did:

10 min warm up on treadmill, jogging @ 8 kmh/5 mph

Stretch

2x10 Bench press @ bar (bar is plm 15 kgs, tried adding 5 kgs onto it, but it wasn't going to happen, so stripped back to just the bar )

2x10 lat pulldown @ 18 kgs

2x10 seated row @ 20 kgs - still finding my feet with these two, weight vs proper form throughout. I'm a bit of a "proper form" freak

2x10 military press @ 10 kgs

2x10 rotator cuffs @ 1 kgs

2x10 crunches on decline bench with 2.5 kgs plate (that will hurt tomorrow! )

Stretch (and stretching inbetween sets too!).

Felt really good this evening I'm still finding my feet when it comes to exercising and doing programmes and all that again, it's been a while .... But I think I'm happy with what I'm attemtpting at the moment: 2 runs a week and 1 upper and 1 lower body workout a week.

Although if anyone has any suggestions then that would be much appreciated!

Hiya Mog! Well, somebody can actually take at least part of the credit for kicking my backside back into exercising again, missus

Training is, again, a bit haphazard this week as I'm working overtime to cover for a colleague who's off on holiday. It just means that I'm spending an hour a day longer in the office, so an hour less with my dogs. I do have a neighbour coming in at lunch time, but still I want to spend some quality time with them too, rather than spending time in the gym.

Did go for a run today tho, plm 35 minutes, felt good. I'm still not the fastest runner on the planet by far, but I keep myself motivated by looking back and realising what I can run now - albeit at a snail's pace - that I couldn't and wouldn't have wanted to run before. We'll get there in the end!

Will try for another lower body workout again in the next couple of days ...

Thanks lobsterrific! It's good to know that there are not-so-fast runners amongst triathlon trainees too

Was planning to hit the gym tonight, but after having had toothache for the last 2 days in different stages of agony, I've woken up with a really sore leg this morning - almost feels like my femur's gone out of its socket and back again but not quite right. Strange I know. I've been to the dentist for the teeth, but she found nothing untoward, and I woke up with sore teeth too! As I appear to have a habit of going to bed just fine and then waking up with all sorts of unexplained aches and injuries it would almost make a case for insomnia - but I'm too tired for that

So nothing tonight, but the weatherforecast for tomorrow looks really good so me n dogs, and my new best friends Ibuprofen and Paracetamol will be going for a day out and go for a long walk. If I'm still on my feet on Sunday I'll then hit the gym for said workout and maybe even fit a run in (steady now Billy, you're not 18 anymore! )

Been for a really nice, long walk today (plm 10 miles) over the moors and through the woods and thought I'd share some pics:

My little girl Kiera

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/BillyMalc/Lyme%20Park%2012122009/lymepark12122009010.jpg

My little man Sparky

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/BillyMalc/Lyme%20Park%2012122009/lymepark12122009008.jpg

"And now whatcha gonna do?"

After having cleared this massive puddle by either jumping over or going straight through, 'the guys' (as I call them) were interested to see how their 'not-so-agile' human would negotiate the wet and the mud

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/BillyMalc/Lyme%20Park%2012122009/lymepark12122009002.jpg

This is what it looks like where we walk:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/BillyMalc/Lyme%20Park%2012122009/lymepark12122009013.jpg

There are deer in the park, but I've never seen them this close and so not bothered by humans and dogs (on lead!) approaching them. The pictures don't do them justice, they were beautiful!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/BillyMalc/Lyme%20Park%2012122009/lymepark12122009021.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/BillyMalc/Lyme%20Park%2012122009/lymepark12122009019.jpg

We're now waiting for the slow cooker to finish cooking our curry and then I anticipate a whole evening of doing nothing at all - seeing as the guys have already gone off to bed that seems a safe assumption!

Been good this morning and already to the gym; gym on a Sunday morning at 9 o'clock is blissfully deserted!

Did 10 mins warm up on rower

2x10 lunges @ 2x5 kgs BB

2x10 squats @ bar + 10 kgs (after I mistakenly thought that the 5kgs total from last week was a 2x5 kgs plate - DOH! )

2x10 calf press @ 32 kgs

2x12 crunches on swiss ball - those weighed decline crunches last week were a mistake! My abs still hurt so bad I couldn't even do decline crunches without added weight! Got to remember to kinda take it easy, patience isn't my biggest virtue ....

Am now having porridge, then will have to do the weekly shop - if that bloody van that's just parked up and blocked my van is gonna move soon or else I'll be going nowhere! - then dog walk and if I've not collapsed by then I'm contemplating doing a little off road run with Sparks. Happy Sunday!

Sunday turned out a bit different than planned: while playing football with Kiera I managed to hit the floor with my toe with all my strength - ouch!!! Sunday night it hurt so much that I tought I'd broken it, so bandaged it up and hobbled round on it on Monday, hoping that it would heal on its own accord. Tell you what: homoeopathic arnica is amazing! 3 of those little pills and my foot only plays up a little bit every now and then - what a relief.

I'm taking it easy on the running for this week tho, don't fancy being halfway and finding out that it hurts too much to continue and then having to walk back in the freezing cold.

Today was a bit of a pants day: some of you might maybe remember Malcolm (the first half of my nick). He was my best mate for 7.5 years before he sadly died of cancer in May of this year. I still miss him every day, and today would have been his 8th anniversary with me. Felt rotten all day thinking about him...

Did go to the gym tho, tweaked my workout a bit, changing upper/lower body to chest/shoulders/abs one day and legs/back/abs the other day. Reason being that I wanted to balance things out a bit better and while working my legs is my least favourite, working my back is my most favourite, so by combining those I'll have something to look forward to, if that makes sense.

Today: chest/shoulders/abs:

10 mins rower

2x10 tri dips @ 110 lbs - scandalous I know, I've got no strength in that part of my body at all!

2x10 DB flyes @ 5 kgs DBs - bench press was heavily in use, so figured I'd do these instead

2x10 upright row @ 10 kgs BB

1x10, 1x8 mil press @ 10 kgs BB - failed at 8 reps

2x10 rotator cuffs @ 1 kgs DB

2x10 decline sit ups, no weights - I've barely recovered from the weighed ones last week!

On Saturday nights people usually have other things to do that involve going out etc. I'm not one of them so I hit the gym instead, after a rather treacherous trek on foot over slippery grey mush - I like the look of fresh snow, but I hate the slippery side effects!

Found that my foot is still quite tender, must have caused myself a hairline fracture or summat, and kinda twisted the knee on the same leg while negotiating the mush. This week has not been good for legs! So after trying a set of lunges I decided that nothing decent would come of it, so did upper body instead:

10 mins rower

2x10 bench press @ bar + 5 kgs (about 20 kgs/ 44 lbs) (really chuffd with the added 5 kgs! )

2x10 chins @ 45 kgs/99 lbs

2x10 lat pull down @ 25 kgs/55lbs

2x10 seated row @ 18 kgs/ 40lbs

2x10 mil press @ 10 kgs/ 22lbs (no fail this time! )

2x10 rotator cuff @ 1 kgs/2.2lbs

1 min plank

2x10 decline sit ups

It's too slippery ouside at the moment to go for a decent run anyway, so I might just see what my gammy foot and knee make of the treadmill next time I'm in the gym. I'm getting old ....

24/7 Gyms that are open on Xmas day are the best thing since sliced bread!!

Wanted to finally go for a run today, as both foot and knee have finally recovered. Unfortunately the UK has been hit by lots of snow and ice, and it's impossible to walk anywhere fast, leave alone run in places, so off to the gym for the next best thing: a run on the treadmill.

Also, while my foot and knee have recovered, I've now got a massive tooth/jaw infection and I've spent the last 3 days on painkillers and antibiotics, after a visit to the dentist. I'm sure I rattle when I run! Pain killers don't always sedate the infection completely tho, and definitely pounding the treadmill brought out the worst. Still managed to do 30 mins @ 8.8km/h, which is better than nowt ... It's going to take me a long time to get anywhere near my goal of 6 miles in under an hour tho, bugger

Workout after treadmill:

Lunges: 2x10 @ 5 kgs DB

Squat: 2x10 @ bar + 10 kgs

Calf press: 2x10 @ 39 kgs

Lat pulldown: 2x10 @ 25 kgs

Seated row: 2x10 @ 25 kgs

Decline sit-ups: 2x10

Had a very tasty, not Xmassy curry for dinner and a soy choc shake for pudding

Woohoo!!

Been out for my first run in weeks - due to all sorts of aches and pains that stopped me, not to mention iced up roads, grrr - and it felt great!! Tried a different route again, which took me along 90% ice free pavements, almost no need to stop, and it felt so good that I ran further than planned. Okay, this is still a pathetic distance compared to all you marathon runners, but I was VERY made up to do 3 miles in just over half an hour! I think I did between 11-12 minute/mile, and I'm REALLY happy with that!!

Can't wait now for the days to become longer and warmer again (ice-free would be a good start! ), and really go for running with Sparky