Jason is back in fucking business.

Hmmm. I don't know how I feel about it saying "big log" in the title, but whatever...

Ok. So the story goes like this. We were having a "healthy weights" challenge to not gain weight over the holiday. I played along, and even tried to lose some pounds through exercise. I started just before thanksgiving (2009) at 164, and got to 161 just after christmas.

That's when I realized I needed to be going to the other way. I got a gym membership as soon as I got back in town the monday after christmas (i'm fortunate to have a gym a 1/2 mile from my house.) and started lifting. I lifted for about a week and a half just doing whatever I felt like with no plan. Usually 3 sets of 10 of whatever I was doing.

Then Chewy suggested Stronglifts, and I did a slightly modified version of that for the last just about 3 weeks. It is/was awesome.

I was doing deadlifts (1x5), incline presses, overhead presses, squats (those 3 5x5), weighed crunches and back extensions (3x10). Then I did an oblique twist on some machine for 3x10 on each side.

That was it in the gym. I do pushups at home every night.

In the last month I went from 3x10 incline benching something silly like 85 pounds to something slightly less silly at 110 for 5x5.

squats went from 135 3x10 to 165 5x8 (today..I'll get to that)

Deadlifts all over the place. 1x5 at 165 to 5x8 at 145lbs today (after squats and good mornings. I was tired, for sure)

Good mornings. Went from the bar 3x10 to 5x8 at 95 lbs.

overhead dumbell presses 35lbs (each arm) for 5x5 (palms in)

I do my back extensions with a 45lb plate and 3x10, and a 25 plate on my crunches 3x10. today i went 5x8 though.

So that WAS my routine.

After meeting with the owner of my gym, I'm changing things. I'm getting big for rugby (and to look like a man, instead of a boy) I'll be changing things up. He told me to NOT squat all the way down, because it's hard on the knees (debatable) and because I'll never encounter that situation on the field). he told me do palm out the overhead presses, and do 5x8 building up to 5x12 instead of 5x5 to build muscular endurance. He is getting his masters in exercise physiology, and played QB at Arizona State. I feel like he knows what it will take to get good on a field, so I'm going to trust him. He also told me to split between upper and lower body (which I wasn't really doing before, to get more rest)

So, as of now I'll be doing 5x8 (working to 5x12 before adding more weight)

Day 1 and 3 will be upper body

Incline presses as the main lift

inverted rows

overhead press

chin and pull ups

tricep pullover

curls

day 2 and 4 will be lower body

Squats

deadlifts

good mornings or back extensions

oblique twists with the cable crossover machine

weighted crunches

calf lifts.

that's it. Will track progress.

Also, today, at the gym, with no shoes I weighed 176 lbs. My skinfold test revealed I have 161 lbs of lean body mass, and 15lbs of fat for an 8% body fat. I will be following up with another test in a month to see what sort of progress I've made in the meantime.

I think that's it for now.

Edited by Jason X

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice with that 12 pound gain!

I played rugby for 2 years in college. It's the most you fun you can have outside of your bedroom

I wish you the best of luck. Everyone should get the opportunity to play that sport at some point in their lives.

What position are you shooting for? Pack or back?

back. I am WAAAY to little to be in the scrum. my goal is a strong 90kg. if I can keep my 8% body fat at 195 or so pounds I'd be super happy. I am hoping my bike racing background and the running i've done will keep me quick enough to not get killed until I get big enough to take a hit.

I can't wait to get out there. Very excited.

After meeting with the owner of my gym, I'm changing things. I'm getting big for rugby (and to look like a man, instead of a boy) I'll be changing things up. He told me to NOT squat all the way down, because it's hard on the knees (debatable)

- Stopping at or above parallel places direct stress on the knees, whereas a deep squat will transfer the load to the hips, which are capable of handling a greater amount of force than the knees should ever be exposed to.

- For functional strength, one should descend as deeply as possible, and under control.

- The further a lifter descends, the more the hamstrings are recruited. Since one of the functions of the hamstring is to protect the patella tendon (the primary tendon involved in knee extension) during knee extension, the greatest degree of hamstring recruitment should provide the greatest degree of protection to the knee joint.

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/weight-training-weight-lifting/bill-starrs-5-x-5-program-variation-per-madcow2-thanx-so-here-k-up-now-375215-83.html#post5124176

Yeah sosso. I know. The more I think about this the more I feel comfortable squatting deep. We'll see how it goes. maybe I'll meet him in the middle and go back and forth on the depth every other session.

That was the main point of contention. I like deeper, too. feels more satisfying. His theory was that you'll never find yourself in a situation where you'll need to power through something with your knees past parallel on the field, therefore there wasn't a real point in training that far.

I'm skeptical, but willing to try it his way for the time being.

That was the main point of contention. I like deeper, too. feels more satisfying. His theory was that you'll never find yourself in a situation where you'll need to power through something with your knees past parallel on the field, therefore there wasn't a real point in training that far.

that's really interesting, i would have thought you would find yourself in squats past parallel. but anyways, are rugby players ever gonna find themselves on the field with barbells on their backs squatting just to parallel? i think we use weights at the gym to support our strength and other things, there's no way we can mimic our sport in the gym. we can just enhance our bodies so that we can train for our specific sports more efficiently...

btw i love your avatar!

sosso and vivalasvegans are right. People don't squat because it exactly mimics an activity in sport, they squat to get strong. And squats need to be deep to serve that purpose.

Be careful with the idea of alternating half and real squats. At the very least don't consider what you half-squat to have any bearing on actual strength levels. You'll find that you can squat a LOT more high than you can to proper depth. The ego boost of the heavier weights will also probably make the idea of squatting less weight to a valid depth somewhat distasteful.

well, I forgot to update from monday, and yesterday.

Monday I did an upper body/arms workout. Felt great, in an awful way.

Incline presses. 5x8 at 105 lbs (yeah, I'm working on it...)

Inverted rows. 5x8

overhead press (dumbell) 30lbs each arm 5x8

Tricep pullover 40lbs 5x8

pull ups (wide grip palms out) 5x8 on the assist machine. set at 85, i think, lbs. Again, working on it!

finished with curls. 5x8 first 3 sets, 5x10 4th and 5x12 last. 40lbs. Gonna go 5x12. if I can do that I'll up the weight.

by the time I finished that my arms felt like they were gonna explode. it was rad. I still have a total bike racer body with no upper half so far. 3rd time. I'm working on it.

Today (feels like yesterday) was a Lower Half day.

Started with Squats. 165 5x8 (1/2 squats, I'll admit it) then did 1 set of 10 all the way down/explode up squats with 135lbs.

calf raises 6 plates each side on the leg press machine to failure (about 30-40) x3. 3x10 leg presses same weight.

deadlifts 5x8 135lbs

weighted crunches 5x10 25lbs

oblique twists on cable crossover 5x8 each side at 42.5lbs

back extensions 5x8 w/45lb plate

that's it. Friday is arms again. This 4 day split has got me wanting to go more often! Thinking about rotating every other week between 4 and 6 day splits. but class gets in the way of that.

Incline presses. 5x8 at 100 lbs (made these sets very clean. unlike earlier in the week at 105 lbs. I really struggled with mondays presses.)

Inverted rows. 5x10

overhead press (dumbell) 30lbs each arm 5x8

Tricep pullover 40lbs 3x8 2x10

pull ups (wide grip palms out) 3x8 2x5 on the assist machine. set at 85, i think, lbs. (I am REALLY bad at these and hate doing them)

finished with curls. 3x10 , 2x10 40lbs. 3x10 50 lbs

it's really lame (trust me)

it's just helps you pull up when you have the upper body of a 12 year old girl. Kinda like using a resistant band under your knees to help you up, it uses a knee shelf and a counterweight. I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, but I'm going for accuracy and real documentation.

also can use the machine for dips as well (but I can do dips the real way...)

does that make sense?

like this, but a different. same idea though.

http://www.fitbeast.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/7/_/7_3_10.jpg

today (1/31/10). after almost not going to the gym, I went. With a friend, so not as quick in and out as usual, and I skipped an exercise.

squats.

1x10 bar

1x5 135lbs

4x8 165lbs

1x7.5 180lbs (a record! technically, it was 1x5.5-stalled and didn't get back up, took a 1 min breather and finished the set- 1x3)

1x10 135lbs

deadlifts

5x5 135lbs

weighted crunches

5x10 @ 25lbs

back extensions

5x8 @ 45lbs

i benched 135lbs twice, just to see if i could.

calves 3xfailure (30-40x) and leg presses 3x10. 3 45lb plates each side + 118lb contraption

i think that's it.

oh, and I ran a mile to warm up. I need to start running a bit more for the MC200 (a relay run -6 people in our teams case- from madison, WI to chicago, IL)

Yesterday I did the following (after a 1 mile run on the treadmill)

Incline Bench 5x8 @ 105 lbs

Overhead press 4x8, 1x10 @ 30 lbs

Curls 5x12 @ 50 lbs

Inverted Rows 5x10

Tri pullovers 5x10 @ 40lbs

chin ups @ 75lbs 5x5

My legs are still god awful sore for some reason (either heavy squatting or hot yoga. Maybe both...)

After totally being WAY too exhausted to go to the gym before of after work yesterday I went after work today. Short day. Only did Squats, Deadlifts, calves and leg presses. I think I am going to a 6 day split.

Squat

bar x 10

135lbs x5

175 5x8

135 x10

deadlifts

135 5x8

leg press/calves

6 45lb plates and 115 contraption

3x30 on calves

3x10 on LP.

that's it. in and out in under 45 minutes.

Today did arms. Felt good doing 'em, too.

incline press

5x8 @110lbs

5x12 curls at 50 lbs

overhead press 2 30lb dumbbells 5x8 (felt really good after the first two sets)

inverted rows 5x10

tri pullovers 5x10 @ 40lbs

assisted chins 5x5 @ 70lbs

weighted crunches 5x12 @ 25lbs

back extensions 5x10 @ 45 lbs

think that's it. I wish my arms would stay puffy after the workout for longer than a half hour. bigger arms are better arms.

fighting a cold today. didn't go to the gym. If I'm not sick I'll go tomorrow.

At any rate, went bouldering for a bit indoors today. I'm not strong enough to make it a crazy workout, but I have fun with it). tomorrow i'll probably go to the vertical wall gym for an hour or two. that's good times.

leg day tomorrow as well. not excited. I've been feeling strong, but getting awful sore after I go do squats.

Ok, back at it. Too yesterday off because I was busy sleeping quite literally, all day. It was awesome, and I feel great now!

Today I went to the gym after work

squats (deeper than parallel)

135 x5

175 2x8 1x6 got stalled out

155 2x8

135 1x10 ALL the way down.

Calves

3x30 @ 6 plates plus 118lb contraption (from here out to be implied without saying)

leg presses

3x10 @ 6 plates

1x5 @ 8 plates

1x2 @ 10 plates (not to parallel, this was a bit of a coworker challenge. just seeing what I can handle.)

Deadlifts

4x10 @ 135lbs

1x10 @ 155lbs (upgrade!)

Bench

3x8 @ 115lbs (just for fun. I think flat benches are easier than incline benches. your opinion?)

then I came home. YAY!

good times.

wednesday I did arms/core.

3x8 incline press @ 115 lbs

3x8 flat bench 115 lbs

2x8 overhead press @ 70lbs ( i tried...)

3x10 overhead press @ 60lbs

5x8 curls @ 60lbs

5x12 tri pullovers @

weighted crunches 5x12 @ 25lbs

back extensions 5x12 @ 45lbs

think that's it. then i went rock climbing that night. bad idea. sore.

legs today in milwaukee before my 2 day tattoo session (that's a terrible idea, right? lifting before tattoo? i'm hoping i fall asleep)

Yesterday am I did. Strange circuit training thing at Neutral Ground in milwaukee. Owner is vegan and into MMA. Place is rad. Look it up if you're ever in mke.

Did some warm up stuff and then did a cicuit of 5 of each squats, kettle bell clean and presses, one legged squats and inverted rows.

It was fun, but didn't feel as brutal as my usual gym day (for better or worse). Tyler did advice on my squat form (knees out, which made everything harder!). Then I went to tattoo shop and am currently sitting for my 14th hour in two days...

I went to the gym again!

Incline press 105lbs 5x8 (coulda done more, but I hadn't worked arms in a week. better safe than sorry)

Overhead press 70 lbs 5x8 (upgrade!)

Tri extensions 45lbs 5x8 (upgrade!)

bicep curls 60lbs 5x8

that might be it, the gym was strangely crowded, and I still don't have range of motion/want to touch things with my leg. Should go tomorrow, but not sure what to do (exercise-wise) thinking might only do arms until leg is healed (or at least done peeling. I REALLY don't want to fuck it up!)

Yesterday I did more legs.

Started with squats. 155lbs 5x8 focusing on keeping knees out and exploding up. started and finished with 10 reps at 135 lbs

deadlifts 5x8 @ 155lbs.

more curls (I have tiny arms...) 60 lbs 5x8

leg press 3x10 calves 3x30 @ 6 plates

Bench 5x8 @ 115lbs

clean and press. 5x8 focusing on quick movements 65lbs.

Went to gym yesterday. Changing up my routine again. mostly because I'm nervous about rugby season being right around the corner, so I'm cutting almost all of the isolation stuff.

gonna go back to 5x5's. every other day same routine. add 5lbs every week.

squats, deads, clean/press, flat bench. Then curls and tri extensions (because my arms are tiny and I want to change that). Curls every time and tri's when I have time to fit them in. I try to be out in an hour fifteen max.

Yesterday

squats 185lbs focusing on getting low and keeping knees out.

flat bench 115lbs for one set then 120lbs for the other 4 sets

clean and press 70lbs

deadlifts 155lbs

curls 60lbs. will go up to 70 on monday

This is way more fun that what I'd been doing, albeit significantly harder. I'm super into it though. We'll see how it goes. It'll be real hard. I want that. Captains practices start in a week and a half, then regular practices start on St Paddy's day. Then the running will start. About time. Just not motivated enough to go kill myself alone yet.

deadlifts @ 155lbs still. my grip is giving out on the double overhand. that sucks. it's still WAY too light for that to be happening. (correction. slipping. not failing. haven't dropped it, and haven't had to cut a rep short)

squats at 185. damn that feels heavy.

bench at 120

tri extensions at 50lbs

curls at 70lbs (again, damn that feels heavy)

clean and press. 70lbs (3 of the 5 times I added 5 standing military presses on the last rep of the clean/press. does that mean i'm not using enough weight?)

in and out in an hour flat. total win.