Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jason is back in fucking business.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:10 pm 
Stegosaurus

Jason X wrote:
over head press (strict)
4 sets of 6
and 6 behind the neck push presses with the same weight to see if my shoulder still hated me.

it sure did. I dunno what that's all about. either the shrugs or the cleans are messing with it.

When you were pressing behind the neck, were you keeping your hands REALLY far apart, as in, within a foot of the collars on the bar? One thing I learned a long time ago, when pressing behind the neck, it's the least stressful on the shoulders when you go wide. So, if you're going with a grip that's similar to your press in the front, widen that sucker out and see if it helps a bit.

Jason X wrote:
wrestling with the vegan thing a bit now, though. I need to figure my diet out, stat!

What's the part that's giving you trouble? If it has anything to do with needing to gain weight, I can make some junk food recommendations that will guarantee success. My program that took me from 270 to 283 lbs. involved a pint of vegan ice cream every night after training, followed by as much vegan jerky I could put down. This, of course, was after I'd already eaten anywhere from 2500-3500 cal. during the day. Throw in some candy, and before you know it, you'll be needing larger pants. Though, it may also come from the expansion around your waistline in addition to newfound strength, but that's the price we pay sometimes to get there in a hurry :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:48 pm 
Gorilla

Thanks Ryan. I had noticed that. little too late, though. about the presses, i mean. i'm getting some weird pain. I noticed it in the scrum the other day (yeah, that's right! I'm a forward now!). I'll give my shoulders a break and then start with even wider grips on the bar.

and to be honest, I'm not totally sure where these feelings are coming from. I'm just trying to figure out more of a protein heavy less carb focused diet, and i'm having trouble with it. I don' twant to keep just eating everything, because it's giving me some wicked lovehandles when i get over 198 or so lbs. I was going to play with macro levels, but it's getting the better of me. i thought my motivation level for being vegan was waning, and then I got into it with a co-worker who said something i took offense to and I realized I am pretty sure I could never not be. Meat is just too gross.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:15 am 
Elephant

If your desparate to get the protein up higher than carbs then you're going to have to use more protein powders and/or soy products (tofu/fake meats/bars/milk).

Personally I think all you need to be worrying about is calories. If you're getting stronger and eating enough to gain weight weekly (the more weekly the more fat you'll put on) then you're adding muscle.

viewtopic.php?p=244523#p244523

I only really have one solid meal a day, sometimes some porage as well. Apart from that I drink most of my calories. I have no problems getting 4600kcal down me every day. If I wasn't worried about eating clean I could have way more unhealthy foods in there and would make it even easier.

Don't overcomplicate it. Keep lifting heavier and eat a caloric excess.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:16 pm 
Gorilla

200 lbs even again today.
Deadlifts.
135x8
225x3
245x1
265x1
275x1
285x1 (pr tie)
295x1 (10# pr)
300x1 (15# pr)
285x5 singles

shrugs
315x10
365x6 x 4 sets, one set of 8

Curls supersetted with rope tri pulldowns.
80lb curls. 57.5lb pulldowns

Sets of
8 and 10 x2
6 and 9
7 and 10
6 and 9. (Rest time wasn't consistent, cause I was watching biggest loser at gym. :) )

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:30 am 
Stegosaurus

Log is looking great, as always!

I can understand about wanting to keep the fat off. I can bulk with the best of 'em, but too many carbs in my total calories and I end up getting fatter in a hurry.

What I found worked well for me in the past for getting stronger without adding much fat has been this:

- No food for first 2 hours when I get up (I've never been a breakfast guy, so that's no problem for me). Big coffee, DEVA CLA and any sort of vegan fat burner is breakfast. Gives me energy and has a bit of time to do some work for a fractional bit of fat loss early on.
- All meals until training time are lower carb, 40g/meal maximum, usually lower though at only around 10-20g (lots of meat alternatives do the trick here). Always 40+g of protein, fat anywhere from 10-30g. Usually have three meals like that prior to training, last one is about 2 hours before heading to the gym.
- SOME carbs about 45 minutes before training, might be a Clif bar or something, just enough to get my energy back up to fuel me well enough to get beat down by the iron.
- Biggest meal about 45-60 minutes post-workout, usually about 50g protein / 80-100g carbs / 10-20g fat, usually around 700-850 calories on average
- After that, I'm usually just sitting around the house working a bit before bedtime (usually end my training around 12:30 to 1 AM), will graze a bit on some cashews or something while relaxing and doing desk job stuff. Prior to bedtime, one final protein shake to get another 30-40g in, few carbs (30g or under), 5-10g fat. By 5 AM, it's lights out, repeat again as necessary! :)

Of course, that's just my own experience. Too much to eat during the day leaves me too sluggish and decreases my training performance, so I eat nearly half of my calories in the last 5 hours of my day.

For now, I've upped the carbs to a higher level to test things out (will get bodyfat measured again in a month to see what damage has been done, if any), but otherwise, many of my days this summer when getting stronger while losing bodyfat were done by keeping protein and fat way up and high carbs ONLY in the meal after training. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it definitely did the trick!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:27 am 
Gorilla

Thanks a lot, Ryan. I'm pretty sure this is a similar route to what I'll take. Aside from the not eating breakfast thing. That's very important for me.

That's awesome. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:54 am 
Stegosaurus

weights are looking good jason!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:31 pm 
Gorilla

The other day before rugby I went to the gym. I did 5 or 6 sets of barbell curls at 70lbs for 7-10 reps. supersetted with probably tri pulldowns @ 57.5 lbs. Did some weighted decline crunches (cause my girlfriend said she wanted to see a 6pack, "cause they're sexy". which i totally back, by the way. I told her it wasn't really in my goals, but I'd see what I can do...) with a 25lb plate. a few sets of 10 crunches, and a few sets of 5 a side oblique crunches.

then a few sets of 405# shrugs for reps 6-8 reps.

TODAY, I was focused more on abz/armz. (cause I feel like brickwork style abz are rad, and i have pathetically small arms and it's on the verge of pissing me the fuck off)

3 different tri-sets.

first was a circuit of
preachers curls (60lbs) (sets of 10, 10, 9, 9, and 6)
Dips (no added weight. never done before!) (sets of 10, 9, 7, 7, and 7 to at least parallel)
shrugs (405lbs) (sets of 8, 6, 8, 8, and 6)

2nd was a circuit of
incline bench dumbell hammer curls (at 25lbs) (4 sets of 10)
overhead barbell tri extensions (57.5 lbs) sets of 10, 12, 11 and a set of 10 at 60lbs as a closer)
weighted decline crunches (25lbs) (10 straight-5 each side, 10 straight- 5/4 sides, 10 straight x 2)

3rd was a circuit of
barbell curls (70lbs) (sets of 6, 5, 6)
tricep rope pull downs (57.5 lbs) (sets of 6, 7, 8 )
back hypers (45lb plate against chest) (3 sets of 10)

Then I peaced to home. Good day. Rugby game tomorrow. 2nd of the season. I hope to play #8 again. I would be surprised if I didn't.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:04 am 
Elephant

Jason X wrote:
(cause my girlfriend said she wanted to see a 6pack, "cause they're sexy". which i totally back, by the way. I told her it wasn't really in my goals, but I'd see what I can do...)
You're such a pussy man. I told my girlfriend she ain't seeing no six pack till I hit 200kg deadlift and 100kg bench, THEN I'll cut.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:26 am 
Elephant

I thought you already had one, chewy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:08 am 
Gorilla

@ sosso, he does.

@chewy fair enough.
I thoughbeinghonest was the way to go, which is why I said it wasn't really in my plans. And there is no 'cut' involved. Not eating any less. Trying to nake the abz bigger. I've had a 4 pack forever and can't shake the spare tire at the bottom (which is why I was getting pissed last page on here)

I dunno man, I want it all, and I'm not patient. But progess is continually being made.

And a 440lb dead would be sick, but I bet you could hit 220 on the bench in a month or two (for a rep, at least)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:10 am 
Elephant

I had a six-pack about a stone ago. The belly's getting bigger every week!

And anyway, just teasing you ;)

Only reducing fat will get rid of the spare tyre man, doesn't have anything to do with the size of your abs.

Try 9-10 months for the bench, maybe a month longer for the deadlift! I'm happy with 5/3/1 for the time being, I'm making great deadlift/bench gains compared to before. Press is decent and made great gains on squats till this cycle. Slow and steady. In a years time I'll be playing with decent weights, no rush, enjoying the ride. Then I'm gonna get shredded!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:18 pm 
Gorilla

Yeah, I know, chewy. Both playin' and fat issue. I'll make it. Not worried. Just feeling small and fat at the same time. :/ its all good. I'll bounce back.

And your progress is great. Keep it up. You're inspriring.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:53 pm 
Gorilla

Well, played 80 minutes of rugby on saturday. 3 different postions (8,12 and 10) and have a partially torn bicep to show for it. :)

But, its healing well, and I have a sick bruise. No gym since friday, I wanted to go today, but didn't have time before it closed.

Just an update.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:58 pm 
Gorilla

How was the bicep torn? Ruck?

"Kill! Kill! Multiply! 'Til the skies are black and the rivers dry!"
-Atreyu

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 26  Next