gsop_3's body transformation workout log

New beginnings for my wife and I.

Today marks the second workout day of our program and my 9th day of Veganhood. My weight has dropped from 83 Kg to 78 Kg so far with 21% BF. I hope to stabilize soon and begin adding pounds/kilos. The goal is to be 90 Kg - but that is long term from now. I'll need to eat like a horse!

We are doing a simple full body, high intensity workout every 4 days for 6-8 weeks with the intention of changing to a 3-day, 2-part split routine after that. We have improved in all areas from the first workout. It's amazing how incredibly sore my legs were after the first workout. In fact, even today they were tender going into the routine - 4 days later!

The routine is as follows:

Chest press 3 sets X 6-10 reps (flat bench press - barbell)

Shoulder press 3 sets X 6-10 reps (sitting barbell press)

Lat Pull-downs/pull-ups 3 sets X 6-10 reps

Squats 3 sets X 6-10 reps

Hamstring Curl 3 sets X 6-10 reps

All sets are being done to failure (or one rep short of failure) and NOT intense failure or drop sets. Once 10 reps are achieved on the first set, the weight is bumped up the following W.O.

The first workout, we never made it to the hamstring curls...ran out of muscle juice! the whole body burned with lactic acid and I dry-heaved after the squats. Today, we made it through the routine but the hams were on FIRE!!! As mentioned earlier, we did make progress in all areas - I am putting together a spreadsheet which I will attach in a follow-up post for accountability and good book keeping.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so today was supposed to be a rest day but I was so stoked to lift, we went in to "the office" after a dinner of pinto beans and homemade pea protein bread (a VERY dense loaf! LOL).

WOW! really guys, it's important to rest as much as you are supposed to. I could tell the muscles didn't get the recovery they needed before I damaged them again. I upped the weight on my bench by 10 kilos tonight and still got 6 reps on the first set but really felt the difference in weight and lack of full recovery. We also decided to change to a split today so we only did the flat bench and barbell shoulder presses. I also decided that I would do set after set until I couldn't even do one rep...I got to the 8th set and couldn't even get the bar off the rack! Of course that also meant I was too tired to hit the shoulder press very well. I only got 4,4,2 with the same weight that I got 9,4,4 last workout.

The good news is that we enjoyed a protein drink made with frozen blueberries, papaya and coconut milk and a few drops of vanilla extract...totally hit the spot! the mix for the drink was one cup of coconut milk, 1cup of frozen blueberries (could have used less), 1/2 cup frozen papaya, 80 grams protein powder and 1/2 cup of water (room temp), teaspoon or so of vanilla extract - throw it all in the blender and hit it til it's done! Makes two drinks...half of everything for one person unless you like large drinks...just don't used 80 grams of protein for one person!!! shouldn't have to say it but ya never know!

I learned something about my body tonight...give it the recovery time it needs and save it for the right time! I'm just not used to the higher energy level that I'm having and felt I HAD to do something with it. Any thoughts or suggestions on what you've read are appreciated!

So, I can't attach a .xls file..I guess this will have to do...as of last Saturday 8/28/2010

Chest press 3 sets X 6-10 reps

actual reps: 8+ 7+ 5+ 13 9 7 6 4 4,3,2 2,1

weight: 60Kg 60Kg 70Kg

Shoulder Press 3 X 6-10

actual reps: 6+ 7 4+ 9 4+ 4+ 4 4 2

weight: 40Kg 40Kg 40Kg

Pulldown 3 X 6-10

actual reps: 20 7 7 9+ 5 3

weight: 36Kg 48 48 78Kg - body

Squat 3 X 6-10

actual reps: 10 10 10 13 10 10

weight: Amanda-54Kg 60Kg

Hamstring Curl 3 X 6-10

actual reps: - - - 16 16 12

weight: -- 30Kg

body weight: 79Kg 78Kg 21% BF

All sets to failure (but not intense failure) or 1 rep shy of failure. As soon as I can do 10 on the first set, I will jack up the weight. last time, was too soon. It was supposed to be a rest day and didn't rest long enough and therefore hadn't recovered fully. Lifts were weak and UN-profitable.

Today was the first try at deadlifts and I'll tell you what! - my hams, gluts and lower back were screaming and I nearly heaved bile! I had to lay on the floor for a few before getting out of the gym and getting to dinner...carrying my 2 1/2 year old daughter. I used 110Kg (242 Lbs) and got 12 reps the first set then 9 and 7. I found it was rough on the hands and think I need some type of glove or strap when doing these to save the skin on my hands as I increase the weight. As for the rest:

bench - 70Kg 9,6+,6;

Shoulder press - 40Kg 8,8,6+ (I tried these sitting and standing and found standing easier) Is that normal for standing shoulder presses to be easier than sitting? If so, why? is there some way that the form is more difficult or more strict while sitting? Either way, I enjoyed not being able to raise my arms above my head afterward.

Pull ups I got 8,5,3 - a bit weaker than last time...felt like I didn't have enough energy in the muscles as we lifted late afternoon...just before dinner and didn't eat much (a PB&J) mid-afternoon. Sipped a protein shake during the first half of the workout...good? not good?

• 4 months later...

January 8th, 2011 - So, it's been a while since I've posted something...Been sick, busy teaching etc. Any ways, I've been consistent with lifting but I've changed over to the Strong Lifts 5X5 and I'm seeing great results and I like the linear thinking of the program for beginners. ..since I am at the beginner level. I began somewhere in the middle and have steadily increased for to date and I'm in the middle of my fourth week. My weights are as follows:

Squats: 100kg 5x5 - the first time it felt difficult to finish the last rep.

Deads: 100kg 1x5 - still easy

Overhead Press: 55kg 5x5 - close to stalling

Bench: 80kg 5x5 - still easy but feeling heavier.

Inverted Rows: body + 14kg - easy

Pull/chin ups: body + 9kg (pulls are harder than chins)

My body weight is at 80kg and my thighs have increased from 57cm to 60.5 cm since September - most of which has happened in the last month alone! I've pretty much accomplished the 12-week goals of the program and plan to continue seeing increases in my weights, though not without stalling along the way.

Hope you're feeling better. Nice seeing your progress. You seem to be fairly consistent and that's what will make the biggest impact. I hear you on the excitement factor and knowing when to try to keep it at bay. Tough to rest the muscles when you want to get the gym but you need to have an off day. All the gains in the beginning are awesome and the strength will continue. Keep at it friend

This week I changed from Thu/Sat/Mon. to Mon/Wed/Fri for the next 5-6 weeks, so I didn't get the usual two days off yet...not till Saturday/Sunday now and I've planned a mountain climb for Saturday. I did a short mountain climb (well, more of a brisk charge) on Tuesday and have decided that it's not a good idea to do when I only have one day of rest for the legs - squatting three times a week 5x5 and increasing weights every workout.

Wednesday's weights (1-12-2011) - before the workout my left knee had some discomfort that quickly disappeared after squatting! hmmmm...

ten minute warm-up on treadmill @ 8km/hr followed by stretch -my hip flexors (psoas??) are super tight from all of the squats

Squats - 104kg 5x5 (actually easier than the previous two workouts)

Bench - 82kg 5x5 (still relatively easy)

Inverted rows - body + 15kg 3x5 (still too easy)

I've decided to switch to barbell rows since those are better for the back anyways. I'll start out at 45kg to get a feel for it and practice good form then increase steadily from there.

Today's W/O:

1.25km warmup on treadmill, 10 minutes stretching with focus on the psoas and glutes, then...

Squats - 5x5 107kg (235.4 lbs.) The first set was the hardest and got easier after that! hmmm...

OHPress - 5x5 60kg (132 lbs.)

Deads - 1x5 115kg (253 lbs.)

I took BIG rests between squat sets - 3-5 minutes...Just wanted to make sure I could get all of the reps on the last set. (the stronglifts 5x5 program suggests taking up to a 5 min. rest as the weights get between 1.2-1.5x body weight) good? bad? any thoughts?

Yesterday's W/O:

same warmup as last time

Squats - 5x5 109kg (239.8 lbs.) The last rep on sets 4 and 5 were near failure (didn't take big rests this time)

Bench - 4x5 85kg (187lbs)

(Would have done 5x5 barbell rows but ran out of time and had to pick up my daughter from school. ...next time for sure!)

measured thighs today - 62cm (24.5")! 1.5 cm (> 1/5") growth in 9 days! I'm quite amazed! I'm now about 81kg - so that's 1 kg bigger and obviously most, if not all, has been gained on my legs. Feeling super strong and stoked to see these gains!

Edited by gsop_3

BTW, my meals are usually as follows:

breakfast - 1 cup dry rolled oats, handful of dry goji berries, pea protein (40g), brown sugar cinnamon. Add hot water, mix and eat. vitamins - DoubleX multi, vit. D (4,000 IU.), 5g spirulina and 2.5g chlorella tablets

snack - homemade protein bar, almonds, or protein drink

lunch - school cafeteria (stir fry veggie and tofu dishes, rice and porridge, fruit) 5g spirulina 2.5g chlorella. Sometimes I eat a salad instead.

afternoon snack - another protein drink or more almonds

dinner - cafeteria (same as lunch)

night snack - more almonds, oatmeal or protein drink.

Thinking of adding cardio to the end of the workouts to speed up fat loss but not sure if it's necessary right now. Would it cut into my recovery ability and slow my strength gains??? The way I see it, I'm making strength and size gains and staying relatively the same weight while my stomach fat is going down (though still no six-pack) SO I must be losing fat and gaining muscle. Does that stand to reason??

Today's W/O

usual warm-up (treadmill for 1.25km - 10:00, followed by stretching)

squats: 4x5 - 113kg (248.6lbs)

OHP: 4x5 - 63kg (138.6lbs.)

DL: 1x5 - 120kg (264lbs.)

Chins: 1x5 - bodyweight

I nearly biffed it on the squats today. The last rep on the last set was nearly a good morning! No injury - just really sore/fatigued spinal erectors. We'll see how I'm doing tomorrow - with some massage and stretching. OHP was a bit rough too.

Overall I just had low energy and not all with it today. I'm sure it's because I didn't get a lot of sleep this weekend and had a really poor diet. The only thing that felt good and right was the deadlifts. I felt like I could have done a lot more reps, but sticking to the program for now especially with how the other exercises felt. Diet is back on today and the next workout should be where it should be. I'll keep the weight the same on the squats and OHP the next time they come around.

Hope you're feeling better. Nice seeing your progress. You seem to be fairly consistent and that's what will make the biggest impact. I hear you on the excitement factor and knowing when to try to keep it at bay. Tough to rest the muscles when you want to get the gym but you need to have an off day. All the gains in the beginning are awesome and the strength will continue. Keep at it friend

Sorry Lean and Green! I just noticed that someone other than myself posted something here! Thanks for the encouraging words! They're always welcome!

Today's W/O:

Usual treadmill run followed by an extra long stretch of the quads, hams, back, neck, glutes, psoas to combat the soreness from Monday's fiasco. Also, diet and sleep have been right on since Monday and it feels great! - Yes, Lesson learned!!

Squats: 5x5 - 115kg (253 lbs.) {I still upped the weight even though I failed last W/O with 113kg AND I smashed all 5 sets!} Felt SOOO AWESOME! I'm sitting here typing totally stoked right now!

Bench: 5x5 - 87kg (191.4 lbs.) This also felt very strong and I completed all 5 with relative ease. Slow down and EXPLODE up with exhale as soon as the bar touched my chest.

BB Rows: 5x5 - 55kg (first time doing these and didn't know where to start - relatively easy. So, I will add 2-3kg per W/O from there)

Today's W/O was AWESOME! everything was on and great! ...though on a slightly more embarrassing note, I blew out my draws on the squats! OOPPS! thankfully I had boxers on underneath! HAHA! That, and my workout partner had an extra pair of shorts on I could wear...changes pants and finished the W/O.

Usual warm-up - 10 min. treadmill, ten minutes stretching

Squats: 5x5 - 117kg (257.4 lbs.)

OHP: 5x5 - 65kg (143 lbs.)

Dead: 1x5 - 125kg (275lbs.)

Body weight is still at 82.5kg and holding

:lachmal: now that's hardcore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, one thing I didn't mention was that my W/O partner thought the rip was me blowing out my knee or something because the weight tipped on my shoulders - which happened because I almost LOST it trying not to laugh! He was pretty scared for a moment until I got the weight back up.

On another note:Today is a rest day and I've got a horrible headache and sinus congestion. Hoping I can be better for lifting tomorrow. Will spend the day resting and eating.

Looking forward to continuing PRs every W/O! I need to enjoy the progress while it lasts! woohoo!

yesterday's W/O:

This marks the last day of the 7th week of my 5x5 program. workouts have been adjusted a day forward or back at times but none have been missed. Feels good to be developing a new habit that is so rewarding!

Monday was NOT a good squat day at first. After the warm-up and stretch, I got under the bar for my usual first set of squats with the usual increase in weight. As I went down, it felt really difficult! Way more difficult that I thought it should be...especially after two days off from squats and plenty of rest and food! I got to the third rep and barely got the weight up. Something wasn't right! I quickly stripped the weight down to 85kg and did a set of 12 and re-racked. That felt MUCH better. I steadily increased the weight back up and got 6 sets total finishing back at the weight I should have been at for all 5 sets of the 5x5 program. Perhaps the weight is getting high enough that I need to start doing lower weight warm-up sets before diving in to the bigger weights...I'll try a couple warm-up sets on Wednesday and see how things go. The rest of the W/O was great and made planned increases in all the weights as follows:

squats:

1x3 - 119kg (262lbs.)

1x12 - 85kg (187lbs.)

1x8 - 95kg (209lbs.)

1x6 - 105kg (231lbs.)

1x5 - 115kg (253lbs.)

1x5 - 119kg (262lbs)

bench:

5x5 - 89 kg (196lbs.) (This has been the diamond in the rough for me. I have always felt weak in the chest area, so it's really encouraging to continue making regular increases and every W/O being a new PR)

BB rows:

3x5 - 65kg (143lbs.) This still feels pretty easy, though I think it's a good weight to build from.

seated leg extensions: (just because)

1x8 - 60kg

pec deck: (just because)

1x10 - 60kg

Hey chewybaws! Thanks for checkin' in! I noticed you've done the stronglift's 5x5 program too! Actually, now that I think of it, your log is the one where I first read about the program. NEways! Thanks again for the encouragement!

Today's W/O: Short on time and focused on squats today. Before warming up I stepped under 85kg and squatted 3 reps with pretty strong pain in my left hip flexor. Then, I proceeded to the treadmill for about 400m and used the "shaker" attachment to loosen up the lower back and legs. Next, was an extra long stretch time - about 15 minutes! Then the work began...8 more sets of squats! nothing else...I'll probably go back to the gym tomorrow. Tonight it's the Chinese New Year and there are constant fireworks going off...they'll keep going all night till about 4am then a break until 6 am upon which they'll start again.

Squats:

1x3 - 85kg (187lbs.)

1x5 - 85kg (187lbs.)

1x5 - 95kg (209lbs.)

1x5 - 105kg (231lbs.)

5x5 - 121kg (266.2lbs - Yea buddy!!) The legs really are capable of some amazing stuff when you tell them to do it! 9 total sets today on squats alone!

The next week I'll be traveling and have no opportunity for weights. I plan to do a lot of stretching, push ups, pull ups and other body weight stuff, but mostly just taking it easy. We'll be going to the Great Wall on Saturday - PLENTY of hiking time! Hope to be able to post a pic or two after we get back!

Well, here we are...back from Beijing and the Great Wall

1741613875_GreatWall.JPG.e6c94ceef738510760d522ae8bd59088.JPG

This is the MuTianYu section of the wall. Unfortunately, pictures really don't do it's grandeur much justice. It's really quite an overwhelming site. It was quite a hike up to the top...enough stairs to get the legs burning. The hike down was WAY harder and I got a sharp pain in the side of my right knee and my legs were shaking uncontrollably. Felt AWESOME!

We also had a wheel barrow race on the Wall, did some kungfu , hand stands and general goofing off.

1194218256_MeandE.JPG.7d01b832682d23b41eacc3f33cb34e2d.JPG

Here's me and my youngest daughter Elizabeth on the Wall. She just turned three in January. I had her on my shoulders for a lot of the trip - her favorite ride.

Other than the Great Wall we also went to the Forbidden City, Tian'anmen square, and the Temple of Heaven...quite a bit to pack into 3 day! Next post will be back to my workouts...sorry for the rabbit trail in my log! hope you all enjoy the pics!

Edited by gsop_3