Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: gsop_3's body transformation workout log
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:47 am 
Rabbit

Today's W/O:

usual warm-up -treadmill and stretch
So, I made some improvement on my squats since Monday, but still not what I want. I was going really good up to the heavy set. the first 4 reps at 125 felt great, but as I went for the 5th rep, I failed and had to dump the bar off my back down to the floor with a big crash! Boy, did I get some looks! Believe it or not, this was actually a confidence booster for me because I don't have a power rack or a spotter. So, to know that I can safely dump the bar behind me, lets me know it's OK to try that "one more rep." I'll try again at this weight on Friday. If I still can't get it, then, I'll back down the weight and start progressing again from there...hopefully blowing past 125kg 5x5.
Squats:
1x5 - 95kg
1x5 - 105kg
1x5 - 115kg
1x4 - 125kg - (Dumped the bar for the first time -ever- on rep 5)
2x3 - 125kg

OHP:
5x5 - 57kg

Deads:
1x5 - 135kg - The skin on my hands felt like it was going to tear on the last rep - no chalk or anything...just good 'ol sweaty hands! :wink:

Still don't have a belt or straps. That may limit me sometime in the future, but seems to be working fine for now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:41 am 
Rabbit

So, today was my first day back in the teacher's office preparing for the new semester. :cry: no more playing all day every day :cry:
Before listing the results of today's W/O I feel compelled to share a mistake I have continued making with the SL 5x5 up until now with the I can prevent others from making the same mistake. I just read the SL 5x5 report for the first time today and discovered that this whole time, I should have been doing warm-up sets before going to the working weight! It only took until I stalled for the first time to realize I needed more info. :oops: I feel so foolish for waiting until now to read the report. :oops: I like to call that behavior "zeal without knowledge," a common occurrence among humans, or so I hear... :wink: :wink: So, now I still have zeal with more then zero knowledge and just enough to (hopefully) keep me out of trouble for a while.
SO, starting today, I'll be doing warm-up sets on ALL exercises before using the working weight. I hope this will enable me to get more gains and feel more prepared and confident going into the heavier sets. Sorry to be so long winded today! That said...

Today's W/O:

Usual warm-up on treadmill and stretch plus rolling out my glutes and back on a basketball (found some really tender spots that turned my grin into a grimace. Today is my first day of de-loading for the first time on squats and the first one since starting the SL 5x5 method. I figured rather than try again at 125kg 5x5 it would be better to go down now and get back up sooner...soooo...

Squats:
1x5 - 85kg
1x5 - 95kg
5x5 - 105kg (a little more than 10% lower, but not going to sweat it)

Bench:
1x5 - 65kg
1x5 - 75kg
5x5 - 91kg SO STOKED! :boxer:

BB Rows:
3x5 - 69kg (next time I'll plan to do some warm-up sets before the working weight...I sort of forgot)

Those of you out there who have been keeping up-to-date on my log, feel free to share your thoughts on what I've written above. Thanks in advance, all! Peace (平安)!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:11 am 
Rabbit

Today was the first day of classes for the new semester. I LOVE my students! I missed them so much. NE-ways, got to my workout around 3:30 with no afternoon nourishment. BIG mistake! I had maybe a handful of peanuts around 1:15 and a few more around 2:15 but that was it. I also didn't eat any rice (or any other form of carbs at lunch or breakfast), only stir-fry eggplant and green beans. Needless to say, I had a rough time fighting the weights today. I got through all of my squats just fine, but ran out of gyass on the second set of OHP. I crashed hard-core (blood sugar, not the weights) and had to phone my wife to bring me a protein drink ASAP - I'm so blessed to have such a wonderful and supportive wife! Once she arrived, I sipped on that until I felt better, then went back in there and cranked out the rest of the workout. I was very tempted to just call it a day and go home and go to bed, but I'm glad I stuck it out and finished strong!

The sets were as follows:

Squats:
1x5 - 85kg
1x5 - 95kg
5x5 - 107kg

OHP
1x5 - 35kg
1x5 - 45kg
1x5 - 59kg
1x4 - 59kg (followed by about 30 minutes recovery)
3x5 - 59kg

Deads:
1x5 - 105kg
1x5 - 125kg
1x5 - 140kg (used mixed grip and had to re-set my grip for the last rep)

Chins:
3x5 - bodyweight (84.5kg - as of this morning)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:38 am 
Rabbit

Today's W/O was split in two because of time. This morning I did my squats and this evening I did my bench and BB rows. In the morning I did my usual warm-up but added some myofacial work on my thighs and glutes with a baseball bat (rolling, not beating) since I don't have foam rollers. I also taped two tennis balls together to use on my spinal erectors - thoracic mobility work. Man, that felt really good!

The numbers looked like this:
(Morning)
Squats:
1x5 - 85kg
1x5 - 95kg
5x5 - 109kg (I did these with my eyes closed. Seemed to help me focus on the form of the movement rather than my form in the mirror)

======================================================

(Evening)

Bench:
1x5 - 75kg
1x5 - 85kg
1x5 - 93kg
1x4 - 93kg
1x4 - 93kg
1x3 - 93kg
1x2 - 93kg (looks like I'll be keeping this weight next time)

BB Rows:
1x5 - 55kg
1x5 - 65kg
4x5 - 71kg (Note: SL 5x5 calls for 3x5) I disobeyed and did an extra set since I was feeling strong.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:42 pm 
Stegosaurus

Way to get in your workout even when you are pressed for time!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:54 pm 
Elephant

lobsteriffic wrote:
Way to get in your workout even when you are pressed for time!
+1

A lot of people could take a leaf out your book. Too many people blame time as a reason not to workout. Have to do what you have to do!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:44 pm 
Site Admin

Wishing you an awesome weekend!

All the BEST!

Robert

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:23 am 
Rabbit

@Lobsteriffic, Chewybaws - Thanks for the encouragement! ...and as you said Chewy...Have to do what you have to do! It's so great to see your comments in my log! Get's me super stoked! Thanks ya'll! :)

@Robert So far the weekend is AWESOME! I just started my ISSA CFT course and I'm soooo excited. So much great info! Thanks for the well wishes! Hope your weekend is AT LEAST as awesome as mine!! YEAH BUDDY!!! :boxer:

Today's W/O was great! I felt super strong in all my sets and the weights flew up! :boxer:

Here's the breakdown:

Squats:
1x5 - 85kg
1x5 - 99kg
5x5 - 111kg

OHP:
1x5 - 45kg
1x5 - 55kg
5x5 - 60kg

Deads: (measured to the center of the bar and found I've been lifting from 7"...about 2" too low! Set up the bar on a couple of plates to raise it up to 8.8" and lifted from there.)

1x5 - 105kg
1x5 - 125kg
1x5 - 145kg

Chins:
3x5 - bodyweight (83.8kg this morning)

Diet-wise, I am cutting carbs down on non-lifting days and only eating rice, etc. on lifting days. I did that all last week and lost a couple pounds (84.5kg down to 83.8kg). I'm sure some of that was water weight but some was def. fat.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:32 am 
Rabbit

...I have a horrible headache now! ARRGH! I think I ate some MSG in my veggie stir-fry today...ate out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:43 am 
Rabbit

OK, headache is gone and feeling much better today! I got plenty of much needed rest and good fooods. Today's W/O was AWESOME! Oh yeah, and did I mention that today's W/O was AWESOME! LOL

I did some myofacial stuff (baseball bat - gets good penetration) before lifting today and didn't do any treadmill but still made sure the blood was flowing and the muscles to be used were adequately warmed up (walking lunges across the gym and some bodyweight squats. I did some dynamic stretching rather than the usual static stretches, as I've learned that static stretching can actually cause a temporary strength loss that can adversely impact training with heavy weights. Judging by the numbers and the way the lifts felt, I'd say it was a success.

The numbers were as follows:

Squats:
1x5 - 87kg
1x5 - 99kg
5x5 - 113 kg (followed by DC style extreme stretching for quads and hams)

Bench:
1x5 - 65kg
1x5 - 77kg
5x5 - 93kg (followed by DC style extreme stretching for pecs with 25lb dumbbells)

BB Rows:
1x5 - 45kg
1x5 - 55kg
5x5 - 73kg (followed by DC style extreme stretching for lats - weighted hang from chin bar with close grip)

Followed all that with a HUGE serving of rice, a steamed bun and rice starch noodles with shredded squash and carrots...and lots of water. Feeling good now with a protein drink just entering the belly! Oh Yeah!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:50 am 
Rabbit

I did some box jumps yesterday. Not sure how many or how high, but I was pretty weak walking (barely) away from it. The quads and periformis (sp?) muscles were and still are quite tender. I used the baseball bat to roll them out again before and after. I think that helped me get through the W/O but they are really sore. Perhaps I'm approaching the point where I need to go lower on the volume for a while - maybe change to 3x5. Not sure. I'll just keep an eye on it for now and see how things go for the next few days' workouts and keep rolling on the bat.

Today's W/O:

Squats:
1x5 - 90kg
1x5 - 105kg
5x5 - 115kg (followed by extreme stretching - perhaps a contributor to the tenderness??)

OHP:
1x5 - 45kg
1x5 - 55kg
5x5 - 61kg (took like 3-4 minutes of rest between the last few sets)

Deads:
1x5 - 105kg
1x5 - 125kg
1x5 - 150kg (felt really strong on this today)(followed with extreme stretching for the hams)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:34 am 
Elephant

Keep rolling and be careful when you're stretching.

Box jumps are awesome, but don't overdo it. Start low and build it up the same as anything else - squatting comes first :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:21 am 
Rabbit

Hey, Chewy, thanks for the pointers!

I find it is quite painful while I'm rolling but it sure feels WAY better once I'm done!

I'd like to think I'm being mindful with the stretching to not go too far. I know I want to at least maintain the flexibility I have...I noticed my flexibility decreasing as of late.

As for the box jumps, I really don't have a graduated set of boxes to jump up...only a ledge that I haven't even measured yet. I'll try to measure it tomorrow...and keep track of how many I do. :wink: Maybe I can start jumping up a few stairs at a time first?? We've got stairs EVERYWHERE here!

And, good reminder! Yes, squats come first! :) :wink:

Oh, BTW, I've noticed that your deadlifts are SO heavy! How in the world!? Is that just a lift you are gifted at or what? I mean, I'm at 5x150kg and can't even imagine 1x220kg yet. Amazing, simply amazing!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:17 pm 
Rabbit

Solid progress keep up the good work 8)

Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:22 pm 
Elephant

I have good levers for deadlifting. Real long arms. Technique changes here and there recently are really starting to unlock my potential. The flip side is my bench press.

You seem to have REALLY good base strength and a great attitude towards working out. From your numbers you look like a well rounded lifter, I think you'll be a beasting squatter before long.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next