Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: I want to compete in bikini division within the year!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:10 pm 
Rabbit

You can do it! I am hoping to compete in my first bikini comp in Nov. There is so much to learn about competition prep. I am still learning. I found a coach on www.natural bodybuilding.com and she has posing lessons for the comp I am entering. They are expensive but well worth it. You may be able to find a coach in your area. Have you been to a show yet?

Angela

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:38 pm 
Rabbit

Saturday night!!! Yes, I know it's early to be in for the night :) But when I've got puppies to take care of (beagles!) and an ear morning workout, it's nice to get all my social activity done with early in the day, and then have the night to relax and record how I've progressed! Today was a legs day at the gym; I was frustrated at first because I can't lift very heavy; I used to have some pretty serious back issues, and I still have to be careful how much I strain it. I just made sure to keep the reps high, and in between sets if I felt like I couldn't get my heart rate high enough, I'd do a quick set of sit-ups, lunges, or step ups to get the blood pumping! After working legs I did abs on the ball, and played basketball for about half an hour. Saturdays at the gym are always fun because less people are there and I get to play around after my workout!

meal 1: 2 tbsp brown rice protein

meal 2: apple

post-workout: vega and a nectarine

meal 3: smoothie made of green superfood powder, coconut oil, frozen cherries, spinach, and brown rice protein

meal 4: luna bar and a nectarine

meal 5: potluck with friends in the park! I tried a little bit of lots of dishes, but think I kept it relatively in control; ate lots of raw veggie dishes, some dates stuffed with almonds, and a lots of fresh fruit!

The Potluck was actually a vegan meetup with some people in my area; we had a couple of amazing speakers come and talk to us about how to improve our outreach. My main goal to compete in a bikini competition (besides looking and feeling awesome! and doing something I love!) is to bring attention to my lifestyle as a vegan. I loved hearing the creative ways I can spread the word, and plan on using a lot of those strategies soon. More on that later!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:41 pm 
Rabbit

Angela; I just saw you replied to my post! I've only been to one show before, and it was about a year ago. I heard there's one in the Denver area (I'm in Boulder) in October, and I'm definitely going to go! Do you think it's necessary to get a coach for your first competition? I ordered a book and a posing dvd, and was hoping to avoid the expense of a coach. But if you think it's worth it I might look into it. I'm so excited for you about your first bikini comp that's coming up! What do you think of the preparation it takes to get to where you are?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:56 pm 
Rabbit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_jz5CJn ... r_embedded
also...this video is awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:33 pm 
Rabbit

Hi! I think the books and dvd's are great too! The only thing is the organization I want to compete in has different posing guidelines. This one poses more like figure which was strange to me so I will have to spend the money to get posing lessons.....From what I have seen, almost all bikini comps are the same. Just check the organizations posing guidelines to be sure.

I have been training for a year and had to lose 28 lbs bc I gained so much with my second child. I am still not sure if I can be ready by Nov 2 but I am trying! This is a completely new way of dieting for me(just started) I am used to the standard bodybuilding diet and I am sick of it! I don't think it will take you that long to get bikini ready. You are already thin so it shouldn't take long. Maybe start lifting heavy? I think I am going to have to bc I am not making any upper body changes. :)

Angela

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:32 am 
Rabbit

I had such a great time yesterday; hiking with the dogs, swimming in the pool, going out to dinner, and doing some shopping that I totally spaced posting my food for the day! It was also my day off from the gym, so I didn't get in a workout that day.

meal 1: 2 tbsp brown rice protein (120)

1/2 cup oatmeal (150)

1/3 cup blueberries (30) <- I actually blended all these together yesterday for a morning smoothie!

meal 2: apple (70)

meal 3: tempeh (160) spinach (15) bell peppers (15) 1/2 avocado (150) and 1 tbsp olive oil (120)

meal 3: vega (110) nectarine (70)

meal 4: cashew "ricotta cheese" wrapped in lettuce (?)

delicious mixed green salad with tempeh, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, and no dressing (?)

I gotta start figuring out the calories for these restaurant meals!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:34 am 
Rabbit

Also, Angela: Congrats on blasting away that baby weight and getting into shape for a competition! Do you have any pics of where you're at right now? I know you'll do great! I am lifting "heavy" right now (for me anyway!) and I'm hoping to get some of those beautiful muscles I keep seeing on girls in competition!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:36 pm 
Rabbit

Thank you! I posted some pics on my journal under "9 weeks til bikini comp".

I am struggling with the new diet. My carbs are much higher than my protein intake.
You seem to be doing well on yours! I went almost a year without eating fruit bc everyone said don't eat it bc of the sugar content.......I started eating it again last week!

We can get those beautiful muscles!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:48 pm 
Rabbit

Yesterday I talked to my mom, and my family is going through some rough issues. I thought I was okay with it, but then last night I had bad dreams, and I kept waking up in a cold sweat just worrying about them. I didn't know everything had gotten to me as much as it did! It didn't feel like much of a holiday; I spent most of the day doing homework and trying not to worry about anything, but it really bummed me out. Then my trainer bailed on me, and I couldn't get the motivation to go to the gym by myself. I felt awful about it, and eventually did some yoga tonight to try and even out my mood and re-center. I wish I'd gone to the gym today, and hopefully next time I'm having a rough day I'll remember today, and that going to the gym could have been a great stress relief. At least I somewhat kept to healthy eating today.

meal 1: 2 tbsp hemp protein (110)

green antioxidant stuff (30)

1/2 cup oatmeal (150)

1/3 cup blueberries (30)

meal 2: nectarine (70)

meal 3: toasted bagel (240) with peanut butter (180)

meal 4: nectarine (70)

meal 5: tempeh (160) and smoothie with frozen cherries (80) green antioxidant stuff (30) brocolli (15) spinach (15) cocoa powder (20) coconut oil (120)

meal 6: 1/3 cup frozen blueberries (30) almonds (180) cocoa powder (10)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:28 pm 
Rabbit

I know I eat relatively healthy, but there are several things about my diet that I've been totally in denial about. I didn't want to admit it, but when I take a close look at my diet I know I'm eating too much fat, even if it is good fat! Also, my fruit intake is really high...both these things aren't helpful when trying to make major changes to my body. I'm not trying to eat less calories, I just want to make sure I'm eating as many nutritionally dense calories as I can fit into my day. For me, that means replacing a lot of my fruit and fats with vegetables and high-quality proteins. I didn't arrive at this revelation until after lunch yesterday, and you'll see my diet choices shift there. Today should be even better! Here's yesterday:

meal 1: 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/3 cup blueberries, coconut oil, cocoa powder

2 tbsp brown rice protein

meal 2: apple

post-workout: vega

meal 3: smoothie with peanut butter, banana, cherries, green antioxidant stuff, and spinach

meal 4: 2 tbsp brown rice protein

meal 5: salad greens with tomato, onion, cucumber, and tofu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:24 pm 
Rabbit

Yesterday I re-evaluated my diet, and had a surprisingly easy time with the minor changes today; even going to my friends house for dinner wasn't hard! Also did 30 minutes of circuit training because my trainer told me to take the day off but I wanted to do a little something at home (shh don't tell!) Here's my food for the day:

meal 1: 1/2 cup oatmeal (150)

1/3 cup blueberries (30)

1 tbsp coconut oil (130)

cocoa powder (20)

meal 2: 2 tbsp brown rice protein (120)

meal 3: salad with 3/4 cup edamame (180) spinach (15) salsa (15) balsamic vinegar (15) carrot (15) bell pepper (15)

post-workout: vega (110)

meal 4: peach (70) <- didn't want to eat fruit after lunch, I won't tomorrow! My friend brought one just to have me try so...I felt like i had to. I know, excuses.

meal 5: tempeh (240) salad greens (15) baked tomatoes (50)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:35 pm 
Rabbit

Today I had a TON of homework and a bunch of Air Force meetings to go to...I managed to squeeze in a circuit training workout for 45 minutes tonight, and I kind of snacked throughout the day after lunch. Improvise, adapt, and overcome!

1/3 cup blueberries (30)

coconut oil (130)

2 tbsp brown rice protein (120)

meal 2: 2 tbsp brown rice protein (120)

meal 3: spinach (15) tempeh (320) bell peppers (15) onions (10) balsamic viniagrette (15)

meal 4: apple (70)

meal 5: luna bar (180)

post-workout: vega (110) and green antioxidant powder (30)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:29 pm 
Rabbit

1 tbsp cocoa powder (10)

1/3 cup blueberries (30)

coconut oil (130)

meal 3: spinach (15) edamame (90) avocado (100) balsamic viniagrette (15) bell peppers (15) salsa (15)

meal 4: acai berry drink (125)

meal 5: spinach (15) jicima (15) avocado (100) edamame (90) onion (10)

meal 6: cocoa powder and stevia (10) green antioxidant drink (30)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:36 am 
Rabbit

I've been reading about raw food a lot lately, and the more I read about it the more it seems to make sense to me. I've been reading Ani Phyyo's website and book, and other articles about going raw online. I don't know if I'll ever go 100 percent raw, but it's definitely something I've been leaning toward for a while without even realizing it. I'm not sure how eating raw and working out in what I hope is a (relatively) anti-inflammatory way will contribute to my getting in shape for a Bikini Division Competition; these learning experiences are reasons why I haven't set definite deadlines on a competition date. I feel like I'm moving towards my goal more and more, but it's a process I'm feeling my way into.
Here's my food from yesterday!

2 tbsp cocoa powder (20)
1/3 cup blueberries (30)
coconut oil (130)
meal 3: salad with hummus, tofu, cucumbers, tomato (300-500)
meal 4: nectarine (70)
meal 5: almonds (180) blueberries (30) cocoa (10) squash (100)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:27 pm 
Rabbit

Today I ate totally raw, and it was ridiculously easy! I rarely cook my food anyway, but I do consume products that have been processed or pre-cooked like tofu, tempeh, hummus, and other such things. But today I decided to go completely raw and see how it felt. So how did it feel? So great! I also did p90x yoga which feels amazing (and amazingly hard!) but it was a good day. I got my bikini posing video yesterday and watched the video and practiced posing for a bit. I saw some footage from an actual bikini competition and felt a lot less nervous about preparing. A lot of the girls looked great, but some of them were just skinny without a lot of definition. I feel better about that because I'm not very muscular to begin with, and think I mostly have to lose some fat and get more definition in my arms and abs.

meal 1: (soaked not cooked) oats (150) 1 tbsp coconut oil (130) cocoa powder (10) vega (110) 1/3 cup blueberries (30)

meal 3: spinach and dandelion greens (15) almonds (180)carrot (15) jicima (15) and onion (10) and lemon juice (5)

meal 4: raw evolution food bar (gave 1/3 to friend) (200)

meal 5: smoothie with 1 banana (70) 1 tbsp brown rice protein (60) cocoa powder (20) 1/3 cup blueberries (30) and coconut oil (130)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next