I want to compete in bikini division within the year!

I just read Robert Cheeke's "Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness." I couldn't put it down! It was like it was telling me what I need to do to promote veganism in my own way. I want to become the best vegan bikini model I can be, both for myself, and to prove that it IS possible to be strong and gorgeous while following a healthy diet, saving animals, and helping the environment! I started training today, and hope to compete sometime next year, anywhere from March to August depending on my progress. Any advice?

412326887_29Aug2010.thumb.jpg.31be142a6f68c7e545d9f11fbe08cd07.jpg

1112916399_progress1.thumb.jpg.35c0f6e218083b04b22bc772a928ae25.jpg

501363946_progress2.thumb.jpg.0189909c7a4e0da4b7d9a0496ee0a9ba.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my food journal from yesterday, and is pretty typical of how I eat.

meal 1: 2 scoops rice protein (120)

1/2 cup steel cut oats (150)

1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (20)

meal 2: apple (70)

meal 3: salad to go from whole foods (500)

pre-workout: 2 scoops rice protein (120)

post-workout: 1 scoop vega (100)

meal 5: shake with banana, cocoa powder, spinach, 2 scoops rice protein, broccoli: (250)

meal 6: almonds with cocoa powder...wow apparently I'm through a chocolate phase! (200)

I used to do mostly running and workout videos, but last week I started getting back into lifting weights at the gym. I'm lifting one body part per day, 4 exercises per body part, followed by 15 minutes of abs, then 15 minutes of cardio, 6 days a week.

great booty here I come! Today was my off day from the gym, so I spent some serious time reading Oxygen Magazine, various forums on competition, and reading many many many posts by Robert Cheeke!

Meal 1: 2 scoops brown rice protein powder (120)

1/3 cup blueberries (30)

1 tbsp cocoa powder (10)

meal 3: spinach, bell peppers, tempeh and almond salad (300)

meal 4: vega (100) and apple (70)

meal 5: shake with green superfood powder (30) 2 scoops brown rice protein (120) brocolli (15) banana (70) and 3 strawberries (30) and 2 tbsp cocoa powder (20)

meal 6: almonds (180) 1/3 cup frozen blueberries (30) and 1 tbsp cocoa powder (10)

I'm still going through a chocolate phase, but I think the unsweetened cocoa powder has the perfect dark-chocolate flavor! Until I stop craving it, I don't feel bad about eating it!

I was so frustrated at the beginning of my workout today! It was triceps day, and because I work out with a GUY it’s hard to compare my non-existent arm strength to his massive muscles! My arms were still sore from arms last week at the gym, and close-grip bench presses were NOT happening no matter how hard I tried! Luckily, the last part of my workout ROCKED because I got to try out all the awesome glutes exercises I read about yesterday in Oxygen Magazine Glutes edition My legs were shaking by the end…shaking=progress? We’ll see! Oh, and the cocoa powder obsession ended today as quickly as it started a few days ago…what’s up with that??

meal 1: 2 tbsp brown rice protein (120)

1/2 cup oatmeal (150)

1/3 cup blueberries (30)

meal 2: 1 apple (70)

post-workout: vega (100)

meal 3: tempeh (160) and shake with banana (70) 4 strawberries (50) cocoa powder (20) coconut oil (100) and green superfood powder (30)

meal 4: apple (70)

meal 5: Salad with tofu, hummus, cucumbers, tomoato slices, and 2 dolmas with no salad dressing at Dushanbe Teahouse (500?)

meal 6: frozen blueberries (30) and almonds (180)

I love Oxygen magazine. I just finished their newest regular issue and found so many articles extremely helpful. I will have to check out the glutes edition because that is my least favorite part of my body. I don't plan on participating in any competitions but I certainly would love to look that way. I have anxiety issues and I can only imagine how bad they would be if I were to sign up for a competition.

Today actually felt really great at the gym! I've felt so sore these past couple of days I thought it would only get worse, but maybe my muscles are actually adapting! Either that or I'm mentally getting used to the workouts. Either way, it was nice to have a workout that felt like it rocked my arms but didn't leave me completely dead afterwards. I worked biceps, abs for 15 minutes, and then 15 minutes walking at a 9.0 incline on the treadmill at 4.2 mph. My legs were super sore from yesterday and it felt good to walk it out! Later today I went and got this beautiful salad from Whole Foods for dinner, which I've been doing once or twice a week lately. The only thing that's hard about that is I'm not sure the calories in the salads I make! Do you think that's an issue early on in my training? Should I be restricting my calorie intake more or does it look like I'm doing okay? I want to make sure I build muscle, but I don't want to have to seriously cut when it comes closer to competition; I don't want to have to lose more than 5lbs when I'm a month or too out from the competition; I want to make sure I'm where I should be!

meal 1: 2 tbs brown rice protein (120)

1/3 cup blueberries (30)

post-workout meal: vega (110<- the vanilla flavor has 10 more calories than the berry flavor but tastes SO much better in my opinion!)

meal 3: green superfood powder (30) banana (70) strawberries (50) cocoa powder (20) coconut oil (100) spinach (15)

meal 4: delicious whole foods salad with tofu, lots of veggies, blueberries, strawberries, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, and no dressing (500? 700?)

meal 5: banana! (70) cherries (70) cocoa powder (10) some almonds (80)

honestly, I can't find one in Colorado next summer, I don't think they post the comp dates that far ahead of time. I just decided to train for a competition last week, but I've made it my goal to compete within the year. I want to be as fit, confident, and ready as I can be. I'm still learning so much, I feel like I need to get a lot more knowledge about what I want to do. Do you have any suggestions, resources?

Hey Amanda!

Welcome to the TEAM!

Sorry for the late welcome....been traveling like crazy. Been getting your enthusiastic emails though. Awesome stuff!

Great to have you here.

Keep up the awesome work and keep in touch.

All the BEST!

-Robert

I was so excited because today I found some awesome resources online! I'd been looking for a great book on competing in bikini and hadn't found anything until today; the book is sold out but should ship after they restock (after Sep 28th) so I should have the book soon. I also ordered a dvd on bikini comp poses and that should get here sometime next week. The video also talks about competition basics and shows footage from a competition, so that will be great to look into! Today I worked shoulders, abs, and did some stairmaster. I know that eventually I can look the way I want to, I just wish I was there today! It's Friday and I'm excited to take a weekend off from school, hang out with friends, and hopefully hit up the farmer's market tomorrow

1/2 cup oatmeal (150)

1/3 cup blueberries (30)

post-workout: vega (110)

meal 3: salad with tempeh (160) spinach (15) olive oil (100) carrot (20) bell peppers (15)

meal 4: nectarine (70)

meal 5: miso soup (30) with onions (5) carrot (20) edamame (120)

also acorn squash (80)

meal 6: 1/3 cup frozen blueberries (30) almonds (180) and cocoa powder (20)

You can do it! I am hoping to compete in my first bikini comp in Nov. There is so much to learn about competition prep. I am still learning. I found a coach on www.natural bodybuilding.com and she has posing lessons for the comp I am entering. They are expensive but well worth it. You may be able to find a coach in your area. Have you been to a show yet?

Angela

Saturday night!!! Yes, I know it's early to be in for the night But when I've got puppies to take care of (beagles!) and an ear morning workout, it's nice to get all my social activity done with early in the day, and then have the night to relax and record how I've progressed! Today was a legs day at the gym; I was frustrated at first because I can't lift very heavy; I used to have some pretty serious back issues, and I still have to be careful how much I strain it. I just made sure to keep the reps high, and in between sets if I felt like I couldn't get my heart rate high enough, I'd do a quick set of sit-ups, lunges, or step ups to get the blood pumping! After working legs I did abs on the ball, and played basketball for about half an hour. Saturdays at the gym are always fun because less people are there and I get to play around after my workout!

meal 1: 2 tbsp brown rice protein

meal 2: apple

post-workout: vega and a nectarine

meal 3: smoothie made of green superfood powder, coconut oil, frozen cherries, spinach, and brown rice protein

meal 4: luna bar and a nectarine

meal 5: potluck with friends in the park! I tried a little bit of lots of dishes, but think I kept it relatively in control; ate lots of raw veggie dishes, some dates stuffed with almonds, and a lots of fresh fruit!

The Potluck was actually a vegan meetup with some people in my area; we had a couple of amazing speakers come and talk to us about how to improve our outreach. My main goal to compete in a bikini competition (besides looking and feeling awesome! and doing something I love!) is to bring attention to my lifestyle as a vegan. I loved hearing the creative ways I can spread the word, and plan on using a lot of those strategies soon. More on that later!

Angela; I just saw you replied to my post! I've only been to one show before, and it was about a year ago. I heard there's one in the Denver area (I'm in Boulder) in October, and I'm definitely going to go! Do you think it's necessary to get a coach for your first competition? I ordered a book and a posing dvd, and was hoping to avoid the expense of a coach. But if you think it's worth it I might look into it. I'm so excited for you about your first bikini comp that's coming up! What do you think of the preparation it takes to get to where you are?

Hi! I think the books and dvd's are great too! The only thing is the organization I want to compete in has different posing guidelines. This one poses more like figure which was strange to me so I will have to spend the money to get posing lessons.....From what I have seen, almost all bikini comps are the same. Just check the organizations posing guidelines to be sure.

I have been training for a year and had to lose 28 lbs bc I gained so much with my second child. I am still not sure if I can be ready by Nov 2 but I am trying! This is a completely new way of dieting for me(just started) I am used to the standard bodybuilding diet and I am sick of it! I don't think it will take you that long to get bikini ready. You are already thin so it shouldn't take long. Maybe start lifting heavy? I think I am going to have to bc I am not making any upper body changes.

Angela

I had such a great time yesterday; hiking with the dogs, swimming in the pool, going out to dinner, and doing some shopping that I totally spaced posting my food for the day! It was also my day off from the gym, so I didn't get in a workout that day.

1/2 cup oatmeal (150)

1/3 cup blueberries (30) <- I actually blended all these together yesterday for a morning smoothie!

meal 3: tempeh (160) spinach (15) bell peppers (15) 1/2 avocado (150) and 1 tbsp olive oil (120)

meal 3: vega (110) nectarine (70)

meal 4: cashew "ricotta cheese" wrapped in lettuce (?)

delicious mixed green salad with tempeh, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, and no dressing (?)

I gotta start figuring out the calories for these restaurant meals!

Also, Angela: Congrats on blasting away that baby weight and getting into shape for a competition! Do you have any pics of where you're at right now? I know you'll do great! I am lifting "heavy" right now (for me anyway!) and I'm hoping to get some of those beautiful muscles I keep seeing on girls in competition!

Thank you! I posted some pics on my journal under "9 weeks til bikini comp".

I am struggling with the new diet. My carbs are much higher than my protein intake.

You seem to be doing well on yours! I went almost a year without eating fruit bc everyone said don't eat it bc of the sugar content.......I started eating it again last week!

We can get those beautiful muscles!!!!!

Yesterday I talked to my mom, and my family is going through some rough issues. I thought I was okay with it, but then last night I had bad dreams, and I kept waking up in a cold sweat just worrying about them. I didn't know everything had gotten to me as much as it did! It didn't feel like much of a holiday; I spent most of the day doing homework and trying not to worry about anything, but it really bummed me out. Then my trainer bailed on me, and I couldn't get the motivation to go to the gym by myself. I felt awful about it, and eventually did some yoga tonight to try and even out my mood and re-center. I wish I'd gone to the gym today, and hopefully next time I'm having a rough day I'll remember today, and that going to the gym could have been a great stress relief. At least I somewhat kept to healthy eating today.

meal 1: 2 tbsp hemp protein (110)

green antioxidant stuff (30)

1/2 cup oatmeal (150)

1/3 cup blueberries (30)

meal 2: nectarine (70)

meal 3: toasted bagel (240) with peanut butter (180)

meal 4: nectarine (70)

meal 5: tempeh (160) and smoothie with frozen cherries (80) green antioxidant stuff (30) brocolli (15) spinach (15) cocoa powder (20) coconut oil (120)

meal 6: 1/3 cup frozen blueberries (30) almonds (180) cocoa powder (10)

I know I eat relatively healthy, but there are several things about my diet that I've been totally in denial about. I didn't want to admit it, but when I take a close look at my diet I know I'm eating too much fat, even if it is good fat! Also, my fruit intake is really high...both these things aren't helpful when trying to make major changes to my body. I'm not trying to eat less calories, I just want to make sure I'm eating as many nutritionally dense calories as I can fit into my day. For me, that means replacing a lot of my fruit and fats with vegetables and high-quality proteins. I didn't arrive at this revelation until after lunch yesterday, and you'll see my diet choices shift there. Today should be even better! Here's yesterday:

meal 1: 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/3 cup blueberries, coconut oil, cocoa powder

2 tbsp brown rice protein

meal 2: apple

post-workout: vega

meal 3: smoothie with peanut butter, banana, cherries, green antioxidant stuff, and spinach

meal 4: 2 tbsp brown rice protein

meal 5: salad greens with tomato, onion, cucumber, and tofu