Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal

Welcome to Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal.

Here I will post my daily workout and nutrition intake. For the coming months, I hope to gain insight on the vegan diet and lifestyle while maintaining a fit physique. This will only happen with hard work, research, and of course, your suggestions, advice, and constructive criticism!

If you want some more information on my background, you can check out my introduction to this forum here. In my intro I outline my reasons for adopting a vegan diet and talk about switching to a complete vegan lifestyle.

Thanks in advance for the support!! Everyone here rocks.

Edited by Veganarchy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome and awesome decision to go vegan. It shouldn't be very difficult to maintain your physique, just make sure to eat enough good food so you don't get too skinny. The book "Becoming Vegan" helped me a lot to work out what I should be eating, so I always recommend it to newly vegan people. It's pretty cheap on amazon and easily worth much more. Good luck and have fun!!!

Thank you for the warm welcomes!

Workout summary for Saturday, January 22:

Attended a Vinyasa class.

Grade: B+. I was still stiff and sore from kickboxing the day before.

Nutrition:

- Soymilk with scoop of soy protein

- Apple

- Dank salad with azuki beans, tempeh, dark leafy greens, avocado + other veggies

- Veggies with hummus

- 1/2 cup oatmeal (dry) with cacao nibs, 1/2 sweet potato

- Soymilk with scoop of soy protein and chia seeds

- 1/2 cup oatmeal with banana

- Grapes and blueberries

- Granola (which I would have nixed had I not had the munchies)

Calories: 1,940

Fat: 61.8

Carbs: 294.2

Protein: 84.0

Grade: B-. It would have been lower, but I think I needed the extra food for having eaten so little lately.

Workout summary for Sunday, January 23:

Sundays are my rest and relaxation day.

Nutrition:

- 1 cup oatmeal (dry) with raisins, 1/2 cup blackbeans (dry)

- Carrot, snowpeas, orange

- Glutinous rice cake

- 2 clementines

- 1/2 cup quinoa (cooked), 1/2 cup azuki beans (cooked), alfalfa, spinach

- Grapefruit

- 2 servings tofu, 1 cup quinoa (cooked), alfalfa, spinach, mushrooms

Calories: 1,478

Fat: 20.1

Carbs: 261.1

Protein: 76.7

Grade: A-. I need to start eating at least this much a day. I don't want to underfeed myself. I realize that's not healthy! I need to be more patient with my progress. I'm already doing a great job; there is no need to be so hard on myself. It's easy for me to get carried away.

Edited by Veganarchy

Workout summary for Monday, January 24:

Attended a Yogasculpt class (yoga with weights).

Grade: A-. I didn't push myself too hard (except when working abs) so that I can hit it hard tomorrow on the machines. I used 3lb weights instead of 5 and maintained good form. In a few months I hope to feel just as good doing these exercises with 5lb weights!

Nutrition:

- Carrot

- 1/2 cup quinoa (cooked), 1/2 banana, 1 tbsp cacao nibs, 1/4 cup walnuts (+cinammon; num!)

- Salad of kale, spinach, alfalfa sprouts, tofu, cucumber, mushrooms, radishes, and green onion

- 1/2 cup red beans (cooked), 1/2 cup quinoa (cooked), baby spinach, tomato

- Clementine, apple

- 1/2 cup red beans (cooked), banana, cacao nibs, 1/4 cup soy milk (+cinammon; num!)

- Grapefruit

(To make my salad dressings I usually combine apple cider vinegar (ACV), lemon juice, soy sauce, and spices. If I'm feeling indulgent I will drizzle on some sesame oil or extra virgin olive oil.)

Calories: 1,509

Fat: 37.2

Carbs: 242.4

Protein: 79.1

Grade: A. I got omega-3's in today with my walnuts, got dark leafy greens in, and kept my calorie count normal!

Do you have any suggestions? I encourage comments/suggestions/advice on my diet in reference to my workouts!

Grade: A-. I need to start eating at least this much a day. I don't want to underfeed myself. I realize that's not healthy! I need to be more patient with my progress. I'm already doing a great job; there is no need to be so hard on myself. It's easy for me to get carried away.

Grade: A-. I didn't push myself too hard (except when working abs) so that I can hit it hard tomorrow on the machines. I used 3lb weights instead of 5 and maintained good form. In a few months I hope to feel just as good doing these exercises with 5lb weights!

(To make my salad dressings I usually combine apple cider vinegar (ACV), lemon juice, soy sauce, and spices. If I'm feeling indulgent I will drizzle on some sesame oil or extra virgin olive oil.)

Grade: A. I got omega-3's in today with my walnuts, got dark leafy greens in, and kept my calorie count normal!

Do you have any suggestions? I encourage comments/suggestions/advice on my diet in reference to my workouts!

First I just want to mention that you have great self-talk. Few people realize how important our inner conversations are. I don't know if you were conscious of it or not, but you have a great attitude!

http://www.pickthebrain.com/blog/7-steps-to-positive-self-talk/

Also I want to ask if you have a recipe for your dressing, because I have been looking for a good oil-free dressing and I can't seem to find one. :S

Good luck with everything!

First I just want to mention that you have great self-talk. Few people realize how important our inner conversations are. I don't know if you were conscious of it or not, but you have a great attitude!

http://www.pickthebrain.com/blog/7-steps-to-positive-self-talk/

Also I want to ask if you have a recipe for your dressing, because I have been looking for a good oil-free dressing and I can't seem to find one. :S

Good luck with everything!

Thanks for commenting on my positive attitude, Fallen_Horse! It's great to hear others affirm my own affirmations and even my inner monologue.

In reference to the salad dressing recipe, my concoctions are always pretty experimental. I take whatever is in my pantry and mix it together. Common ingredients include but are not limited to: apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, spices, and lemon or lime juice. I don't have any ratios for you (well, maybe 2:1 for the vinegar:soy sauce). Just use your good judgment and you'll be oil-free and dandy.

Thanks again for the support and luck! Best of luck to you as well.

Workout summary for Tuesday, January 25:

- Attended a Zumba class.

- Completed my weight training routine (week 4, day 1):

Lying leg press: 90lbs x 12reps x 2sets

Lying leg curl: 30lbs x 12reps x 2sets

Standing calf raise: 50lbs x 12 reps x 2 sets

Seated cable row: 50lbs x 12reps x 2sets

Back extension: 60lbs x 12reps x 1set; 70 lbs x 12reps x 1set

Flat bench press: 50lbs x 12 reps x 1 set; 50 lbs x 8 reps x 1set

Dumbbell shrug: 10lbs x 12reps x 2sets

Dumbbell press: 7.5lbs x 12reps x 2sets

Triceps pushdown: 22.5lbs x 12reps x 2sets (down 5lbs from last time)

Barbell curl: 18lbs x 12reps x 2sets

Barbell wrist curl: 45lbs x 10reps x 1 set; 45lbs x 3reps x 1set (should use 24lb bar next time)

Crunches: 12reps x 2sets

Grade: C+ for Zumba. I got there five minutes late and didn't have the energy to go all-out. I was confused half of the time and not trying as hard as I normally would had I not just woken up and eaten a poor excuse of a breakfast. B+ for weight training. I really pushed myself on the bench press today; it was my first time adding weights to the bar! It was disappointing to have to lower the weight for the triceps pushdown, but it was understandable since this muscle group had been worked for the past couple of days. That's okay! It will give me a chance to fix my form, since I think I cheat towards the end of one rep by flaring my wrists out a little instead of pulling down all the way with the force of my triceps, .

Nutrition:

- Smoothie of soymilk, frozen berries, and spinach

- Two clementines

- Salad of kale, spinach, alfalfa sprouts, quinoa, red beans, tofu, avocado + many other veggies

- 1/2 cup of quinoa (cooked), 1/2 cup of red beans (cooked), 1/2 banana, cacao nibs, hemp seeds

- Apple

- Veggie and hummus platter (carrot, celery, red bell pepper, radish, tomato, 3 tbs hummus) and a side salad of spinach, alfalfa sprouts, red beans, tofu, and sesame seeds

Calories: 1,557

Fat: 42.7

Carbohydrates: 233.0

Protein: 85.4

Grade: B+. I should have consumed something more than soymilk before my workout today. I felt weak and confused during the Zumba class. Otherwise, I think I did just fine.

Note: I was especially excited for my weight training routine today, because now that I'm on week four, I am performing more than one set. I just read some tip-top advice: "When you can perform the recommended number of reps for a set, add weight. Many individuals fail to do this, which makes it hard to add any muscle." This makes a lot of sense, as I have felt my routine to be easier than I anticipated. I should be seeing my workouts get more intense as I follow this advice.

Workout summary for Wednesday, January 26:

Attended a cardio kickboxing class followed by a 30 minute core class.

Grade: A overall. I used 1lb weights the entire time (okay, I put them down for 10 seconds tops) and really pushed myself. Core felt great. I mean, it hurt, but I pushed through it!

Nutrition:

- Smoothie of soymilk, frozen berries, kale, spinach, banana, hemp seeds, soy protein powder, and cacao nibs

- Apple

- Salad of greens, tofu, brown rice, red beans, + other veggies

- 1/2 of said salad

- 1/2 of breakfast smoothie

- Salad of herb greens, tofu, alfalfa, banana, and hummus dressing (hummus+lemon+ACV)

- Grapefruit

Calories: 1,513

Fat: 34.2

Carbs: 216.2

Protein: 110.6

Grade: A+. Low in fat and high in protein! That's what I'm talkin' about. My smoothie this morning gave me the boost I needed to kick it in class this morning. Huzzah! Rockin' body, here I come.

Workout summary for Thursday, January 27th:

Attended a cardio Kickboxing class.

Grade: A. Damn, after taking this class, I feel like I should have given myself one grade lower than I initially did. It was tough, but I pulled through.

Nutrition:

- 1/2 cup oatmeal (dry) with 1/2 banana, 1 tbsp hemp seeds, 1 tbsp cacao nibs

- Smoothie of soy milk, parsley, 1/2 banana, 1 tbsp hemp seeds, soy protein powder

- Salad of mesclun, alfalfa, tofu, green onion, sesame seeds, with side of 1/2 cup red beans (cooked) and 1/2 cup brown rice (cooked)

- Cucumbers and carrot with 3 tbsp hummus

Salad of mesclun, 1/2 cup brown rice (cooked), 1/4 cup red beans (cooked), tofu, half of an apple cubed, lemon juice, AVC, ginger, cinnamon

- 1 cup unprepared edamame beans

- 1/4 cup oatmeal (dry) with 2 tsp brown sugar

- 3 clementines throughout the day

Calories: 1,702

Fat: 40.2

Carbs: 253.0

Protein: 104.7

Grade: ?. I became really hungry towards the end of the day... more so than usual. I'm wondering if it's because today's workout was incredibly intense. There is a reason for the question mark...

I definitely see progress when I look at my body, but I am not sure how much longer I can sustain myself on a 1,500 calories diet. Perhaps it was just a rough day today, the first of my fitness experiment. And seeing how it's only been a month since I've started exercising, I think I should keep my food intake the same. However...

Whenever I feel tired, I'm always afraid that I'm not eating enough but then get confused as to whether or not I should up my calorie intake. I feel like there is this delicate gray/fuzzy zone in reference to how much one should eat when either bulking or cutting. People say to eat more when you want to gain muscle and to eat less to lose fat, but what if I end of gaining fat when I eat more and losing muscle when I eat less? Strength training and cardio are both important to maintain good health, but how much of each activity is recommended to achieve your goal? The uncertainty you might have just experienced in your mind is what I'm referring to as the delicate gray/fuzzy zone. If you didn't just experience that, you must have some advice on what I should do to get lean.

I guess my question is: what do I do to ensure that I'm losing unwanted fat instead of good muscle?

I never knew losing weight and gaining muscle could be so hard... it seems like a delicate science to me at this point in the game.

Grade: ?. I became really hungry towards the end of the day... more so than usual. I'm wondering if it's because today's workout was incredibly intense. There is a reason for the question mark...

I definitely see progress when I look at my body, but I am not sure how much longer I can sustain myself on a 1,500 calories diet. Perhaps it was just a rough day today, the first of my fitness experiment. And seeing how it's only been a month since I've started exercising, I think I should keep my food intake the same. However...

Whenever I feel tired, I'm always afraid that I'm not eating enough but then get confused as to whether or not I should up my calorie intake. I feel like there is this delicate gray/fuzzy zone in reference to how much one should eat when either bulking or cutting. People say to eat more when you want to gain muscle and to eat less to lose fat, but what if I end of gaining fat when I eat more and losing muscle when I eat less? Strength training and cardio are both important to maintain good health, but how much of each activity is recommended to achieve your goal? The uncertainty you might have just experienced in your mind is what I'm referring to as the delicate gray/fuzzy zone. If you didn't just experience that, you must have some advice on what I should do to get lean.

I guess my question is: what do I do to ensure that I'm losing unwanted fat instead of good muscle?

I never knew losing weight and gaining muscle could be so hard... it seems like a delicate science to me at this point in the game.

First, feeling hungry towards the end of the day could be a result of the calorie deficit, or eating larger portions earlier and smaller later, or not getting enough fiber to fill you up later in the day. Can I ask how tall you are? 1500 cals is definitely a low amount if you are doing large amounts of exercise. I noticed my calorie deficit when I was dead tired by the end of the day.

As far as the fat loss / muscle gain conundrum, lobsteriffic is right. Being on a low calorie diet you need to really push your muscles to grow, which involves using them and feeding them. In other words, weights and protein!

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

To lobsterrific:

I followed your advice and lifted heavier the other day!

To Fallen_Horse:

I am around 5'4". Weights and protein. Got it!

To VeganResistance:

Thanks for the warm welcome! Love your journal. Keep at it!

Workout Summary for Friday, January 28th:

- Completed my weight training routine (week 4, day 2):

Lying leg press: 90lbs x 12reps; 100lbs x 12reps; 110lbs x 12reps

Lying leg curl: 30lbs x 12reps; 50lbs x 5reps

Standing calf raise: 50lbs x 12reps; 70lbs x 12reps; 90lbs x 12reps

Seated cable row: 50lbs x 12reps; 65lbs x 12reps; 65lbs x 9 reps

Back extension: 70lbs x 4reps x 1set; 80 lbs x 12reps; 80lbs x 8reps

Flat bench press: 45lbs x 5reps; 50lbs x 12 reps; 55lbs x 6reps

Dumbbell shrug: 12.5lbs x 12reps; 15lbs x 12reps; 17.5lbs x 12reps

Dumbbell press: 7.5lbs x 12reps; 10lbs x 12reps; 12.5lbs x 9reps

Triceps pushdown: 22.5lbs x 12reps; 27.5lbs x 12reps; 32.5lbs x 12reps

Barbell curl: 18lbs x 12reps; 24lbs x 12reps x 2sets

Barbell wrist curl: 35lbs x 8reps; 30lbs x 12reps

Crunches: 15reps x 2sets

- Helped a couple friends dig out part of a quincy. I actually used my muscles for something practical!

Grade: A-. It was my first time pushing myself pretty hard on the weights. I think I did a swell job.

Nutrition:

- 1/2 cup oatmeal (dry) with banana and hemp seed

- Salad of brown rice, tofu, parsley, spinach, avocado, tomato, and carrots

- Soup a friend of mine made of black beans, potato, carrot, etc.

- Hummus with cucumber, baby carrots; blueberries, blackberries, strawberries

- Kiwi

- 1/2 cup oatmeal (dry) with a tbsp of peanut butter, mysterious green substance

Grade: C+. I don't know the nutritional content of the soup, but I'd say I consumed near 2,000 calories this day! Munchies are my bane.

Workout summary for Saturday, January 29:

I couldn't get to the gym so I substituted today for Sunday as my rest day.

Nutrition:

- Oatmeal with banana and hemp seed

- 1/2 lb Tuscan White Bean salad of navy bean, parsley, red onion, tomato, EVOO, etc. (from co-op)

- 1/2 lb Butternut Harvest salad of wild rice, butternut squash, pumpkin seeds, etc. (from co-op)

- Granola bar mix: 4 dates, 1/2 cup muesli, 1/4 cup shredded coconut, 1/4 banana, 1 tbsp sunflower seeds, 1 tbsp hemp seeds, 1 tbsp coconut oil

- Rest of the banana, orange

- Carrot with tbsp peanut butter

Grade: D. Since I was staying at a friend's place, I didn't want to hassle with preparing a meal. We went to the co-op and I bought some prepared food. Everything was wholesome; I just ate too much of the goodness. There were also suspicious green bits and pieces in my granola bar mix that might have contributed to why this was. I wouldn't be surprised if my calorie intake was well above 2,000.

Workout summary for Sunday, January 30:

Attended a Yoga Sculpt class.

Grade: B-. I guess my arms and shoulders were still pretty sore from quincy-digging. I also dreaded my friend's hair this weekend which I should take into account as for why my performance was sub-par. I couldn't do half of the poses because it burned so badly.

Nutrition:

- Kiwi

- Salad of green bell pepper, mushrooms, daikon sprouts, strip of tempeh, dash of soy sauce, sriracha sauce, a little bit of peanut butter

- Tempeh ruben sandwich on rye with coleslaw side (from restaurant)

- Oatmeal raisin cookie (from restaurant)

- 1 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup carrots

Grade: C. I would give myself a lower grade, but I have to remind myself that I can't eat salads for the rest of my life. Today was the first time in a month I put any kind of bread in my body. It was also the first time I had any kind of dessert that wasn't fruit. I suppose yesterday's granola mix was kind of like a dessert, though. Although this weekend's binging has set me back a bit, I don't regret any of my choices. I will just have to keep track of it a bit more diligently or work extra hard at my next session.

This weekend was overall not a success in terms of progress. However, I did put plenty of yummy foods into my body that my palette has not experienced in a very long time. It was pretty pleasurable. My calorie-intake was kind of high these past few days... but, my body might have needed that extra boost. Also, I've been going strong vegan-wise! Yipee!

Workout summary for Monday, January 31:

Attended a kickboxing class.

Grade: B+. I used 1 lb weights the entire time and put a good step forward. I got lost a couple of times. It could also be that the instructor was not the best.

Nutrition:

- Carrots, cucumber, apple

- Salad of green and yellow pepper, tomato, daikon sprouts, blueberries, avocado, green onion, tempeh, and brown rice on the side

- Grapefruit

- 1/4 cup navy beans (cooked), daikon sprouts, olive oil; clementine

- Grapefruit

- 1/2 cup navy beans (cooked), 1 serving tofu, tomato, olive oil

- Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries

Calories: 1,316

Fat: 36.4

Carbs: 208.9

Protein: 60.0

Grade: B. The fat from yesterday must have carried over to today, because I didn't go hungry once and am still feeling satisfied. I would have liked to see a higher protein intake and less calories to balance the past few days out.

Workout summary for Tuesday, February 1:

Attended a Cycle/Core class. 40 minutes of cycling + 20 minutes of core work.

Grade: B-. I am not as fit as I thought I was; my legs almost gave out a couple of times, and I had to rest a lot more than I expected I would. Cycling is tough! Who knew!

Nutrition:

- 1/2 cup oatmeal (dry), 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/4 cup soy protein powder

- 1 cup baby carrots, small cucumber

- 1 cup navy bean and tofu salad (+tomato, bell pepper, cucumber, avocado, green onion, EVOO), 1/2 cup brown rice (cooked)

- Luna bar sample (80 calories)

- 1/2 cup brown rice (cooked), 1/2 block (6.75oz) tofu, 1/2 cup navy beans (cooked), 1 cup baby carrots

- 1 cup navy bean and tofu salad

- clementine, kiwi

- apple, 2 clementines

Calories: 1,501

Fat: 29.2

Carbs: 251.4

Protein:73.8

Grade: B. I really need to get my protein levels up. I'm thinking about getting protein powder. I'm also going to invest in a multivitamin. Also, before I ate all of that fruit at the end of the day, my calorie intake was below my BMR. I just gotta have my fruit, ya know?

I met with a personal trainer today and he conducted a fit test. My body fat test showed a reading of 24.4%. I am looking to get down to 20.5%, a difference of 3.9%. That would take my weight to 123lbs, a difference of 5lbs. My basal metabolic rate is 1376. If I follow my nutrition and exercise plan, I can reach my goal in 6 weeks.

The personal trainer I worked with recommended that I not stick with the routine that I have been following since there is a greater risk of injury. I am meeting with him again tomorrow to formulate a new program more suitable for a beginner like me. Although I would love to meet with him twice a week, finances just will not allow for that to happen. Tomorrow will be the first of two sessions, and we'll see how things go from there.

Let the training begin!

Workout summary for Wednesday, February 2:

I worked with a personal trainer today. The don't have the sheet of paper that the routine we ran through is on, but let me tell you - it was intense.

Grade: A+. I worked hard.

Nutrition:

Calories: 1,193

Fat: 33.9

Carbs: 186.2

Protein: 46.3

Grade: Erm...

Workout summary for Thursday, February 3:

I didn't go today. 1) My gym bag is not with me at the moment and 2) I'm still a little beat up from yesterday and 3) I just don't feel like it...

Grade: FAIL.

Nutrition:

Calories: 2,032

Fat: 55.7

Carbs: 332.1

Protein: 83.1

Grade: D. I can't stop eating!!! I don't know what to do...

Workout summary for Friday, February 4:

- Walked in 2 feet of snow for a few hours.

- I found this website called bodyrock.tv and followed this marine corps workout. It's really motivating to see someone incredibly fit performing the exercises. I see the ideal and reinforce it with each exercise I tackle.

Grade: A-. I am glad I chose to workout today despite the fact I didn't have a way to get to the gym. I think I pushed myself a good amount, as well.

Nutrition:

- 1/2 cup oatmeal (dry), 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup soymilk

- Apple

- 3/2 cup navy beans (cooked), some alfalfa sprouts, lime juice, drizzle olive oil

- Banana

- 1 cup sprouts, 1/2 block tofu, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, 1/4 avocado, drizzle sesame oil, sesame seeds

- Grapefruit

- 1.5 cup soymilk

Calories: 1,423

Fat: 41.2

Carbs: 213.6

Protein: 68.0

Grade: B. I stopped eating after 4 (cup of soymilk as an exception) to give my digestive system a rest. I think it was a wise decision, considering how late into the night I ate fruit. I've been drinking a lot of tea since then (green tea, yerba mate, nettle).

It's weird being so calculated with my routine and diet. If I stopped keeping a detailed journal, I think I would be pretty lost and not able to trust my instinct as much. Good thing I am keeping one... !

I am going to try and not look in the mirror for the next six weeks. Correction: I will not look in the mirror for the next six weeks. I'll base my level of health and fitness solely on how I feel. I have become a little obsessed lately with checking my image out, so it's definitely time to give my eyes a rest for a while. Hopefully the next time I see my reflection I'll be pleasantly surprised and pleased.

Workout summary for Saturday, February 5

- Walked 2 miles

- Followed the "Swimming in my own sweat" workout. Basically swung a sand bag around and did 155 burpees.

Grade: B+. I took my time with the workout, but at least I completed it in less than an hour. It was fun; my body could uphold the intensity whereas a month ago it would have petered out halfway through.

Nutrition:

- 2.5 cup butternut squash soup (blended with onion, celery, carrots, and potato), tempeh, quinoa, dry roasted cauliflower and asparagus

- 3/4 cup soymilk, chia seeds

- 1 cup bell pepper soup (blended with sunflower seeds, cucumber, celery), 1 cup raw spinach, 1/4 cup chickpeas (cooked)

- A few strawberries

- Kiwi berry smoothie (kiwi, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, soymilk, tofu)

- 1 cup edamame beans (in pod), 4 oz tofu

- 1 clementine

Calories: 1,351

Fat: 45.8

Carbs: 190.1

Protein: 72.1

Grade: B-. Fat was a little high today, and protein could still be higher.

Workout summary for Sunday, February 6

- Attended a Zumba class

Grade: B+. It was a lot of fun.

Nutrition:

- 1/2 cup butternut squash soup, 3 oz tempeh, 3/4 cup quinoa, cauliflower, asparagus

- 1/2 cup bell pepper soup, 3.5 oz tofu, 1 cup sprouts, 1 cup spinach, 1/4 cup chickpeas (cooked)

- 1 apple

- 1/2 cup butternut squash soup, 1/4 cup chickpeas (cooked)

- 2 clementines

- Kiwi berry smoothie

Calories: 1,207

Fat: 37.4

Carbs: 176.2

Protein: 63.8

Grade: B+. Let's get that protein up and fat down.

Edited by Veganarchy

Workout summary for Monday, February 7:

I met with the same personal trainer today.

- Medicine ball push-ups

- Chops (these suck)

- Lunges

- Rubber tube walk

- Shoulder press with rubber tube

- Lunge, extension, curl, raise

- Pull-ups

- Dips

- Squat machine

- Rows

I have the hard copy with the weight, reps, and sets recorded, but I'm too lazy to put it up...

Grade: B+. Weight training is constantly testing my mental strength, but especially did it today. Today's routine made me think about applying what goes on in my head during training to my daily life. For instance, pushing harder than I think I can, not giving up, challenging myself, and testing my limits. Could I have pushed harder today? I'm honestly not sure... only more experience will tell.

Nutrition:

Well, I caved and bought some protein powder. This stuff is rice protein. We'll see how it supplements my current diet. I also bought a multivitamin. Is the organic stuff expensive or what?!

Calories:1,351

Fat: 54.3

Carbs: 168.2

Protein: 71.6

Grade: B+. My fat content was a bit high. I love me my olive oil, though...

I am going to start offering daily tips!

Tip #1: Midnight cravings

If you're still hungry at the end of the day but have maxed out on your calorie (if you're counting), try sucking on a piece of hard candy or chewing a piece of gum. This will keep your mouth occupied and curb your craving. You can also try drinking a tea. It will give your taste buds some flavor while supplying your system with healing benefits, not to mention keep you hydrated.

Workout summary for Tuesday, February 8:

I went on a brisk walk through a regional park with my dad today in 4 degree weather! It was only about 1.5 miles.

Grade: B+. I was forgiving of my very light workout today since I was pretty sore from the day before.

Nutrition:

Calories: 1,491

Fat: 36.7

Carbs: 235.1

Protein:76.2

Grade: C. I went over my calories this day. One medium apple packs a lot of calories, surprisingly. And I had two!

Workout summary for Wednesday, February 9

- Attended a kickboxing class (60 minutes).

- Attended a core class (30 minutes).

Grade: A. I am starting to see improvement in my body, and didn't want to go to class today because of it! But I reminded myself that I am going to keep my current routine going for at the very least the next two months, even if I am somewhat satisfied of how I look. I certainly feel a ton healthier.

Nutrition:

Calories: 1,315

Fat: 45.0

Carbs: 160.1

Protein: 82.9

Grade: A. I didn't necessarily need the hundred calories, but I wanted my protein level to be higher.

I just finished a bowl of oatmeal mixed with soymilk, kiwi, and hemp seeds. I now consider this my favorite meal! It's super good for you and has a protein punch as well! It also is very creamy, a sensation that my mouth missed very much.

Tip #2: Mirror obsession

Try not looking in the mirror for one week. The next time you do check yourself out, you'll be surprised at how much your body has changed. This will be a huge motivating force for you to keep working hard! If you can go a week without looking, try an entire month! Six weeks?!

Workout summary for Thursday, February 10:

NA

Nutrition:

Calories: 1,538

Fat: 52.9

Carbs: 209.8

Protein: 82.1

Workout summary for Friday, February 11:

NA

Nutrition:

Calories: 1,482

Fat: 38.0

Carbs: 256.9

Protein: 55.3

Workout summary for Saturday, February 12:

Attended a cardio kickboxing class.

Grade: A.

Nutrition:

Calories: 1,313

Fat: 22.6

Carbs: 225.1

Protein: 69.1

Workout summary for Sunday, February 13:

NA

Nutrition:

Calories: 2,020

Fat: 85.8

Carbs: 289.5

Protein: 62.3

Grade: I don't think I even have to say.

Workout summary Monday, February 14:

Attended a cardio kickboxing class.

Grade: B-. I ate too soon before the class and subsequently had a stomach ache during it.

Nutrition:

Calories: 1,453

Fat: 35.4

Carbs: 245.6

Protein: 65.8

Grade: C. I didn't keep track of everything today so it's a rough guesstimate.

I have been working on a few papers these past few days which is why I've been working out less (less time) and eating more (emotional eating like WOAH!!). I'm pretty ashamed as to how I've been treating my body these past few days, but I am considering this my first major uh-oh that made me reconsider my lifestyle choices. I didn't know that eating more when I'm under stress, or emotional eating, was a problem for me until now. I will have to keep an eye on myself during rough patches so this does not happen again. Also, I think it's a good idea to have some kind of healthy and fulfilling "treat" lying around the house for when I get a craving. This way I can eat one serving of the "treat" instead of trying to compensate by eating five clementines.