Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bulking phase
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:14 pm 
Gorilla

vegansludge wrote:
veggiesasquatch wrote:
Crazy to think I now weigh 185lb & I can do more. With the hammer I started to also add in a 10lb plate...

Keep at them, they'll soon come on

I'm continuously impressed with your progress in such a short-time. It's pretty amazing, mate.

I feel you - when I started StrongLifts in September, I couldn't, for the life of me, do one "regular" push-up which was embarrassing. Now I can bang out small sets in between benching.

Thanks for the kind words:)

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:57 pm 
Rabbit

Thanks for the advice mate, hope all is well. Great to know a few people from UK on here :)

http://www.my-healthy-lifestyle-choices.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:59 pm 
Gorilla

VeganDougie wrote:
Thanks for the advice mate, hope all is well. Great to know a few people from UK on here :)

No worries amigo...

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:13 pm 
Gorilla

veggiesasquatch wrote:
Thanks for the kind words:)

Any time - you deserve the praise for sure.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:19 am 
Gorilla

Wednesday 7th march.....

Stumbling through my front door roughly a round 7:08 I remind myself to be quite. The wife's in bed & i'd rather dodge an ear bashing for being noisy, on thinking this my back pack instantly gets hooked on the door knocker & it gives a little tap. Mentally I call the door a "wanker" like it did it on purpose.

I kick off my work boots, stumble into the lounge & I finish off a little food I had left over. This got me musing over how people obsess over eating carbs before bed. 

I think of all the big bad animals in the world & how, after they feast on their respective kills they nap...so
I come to the conclusion that some salad, a home made bread roll & fillings pale in comparison . Quick shower then to bed by 7:35.

Rolling over & hitting the home screen button on my iPhone it shows its 14:22. Not an awful lot of sleep but also by no means the worst I've had. The key being it was unbroken sleep, usually I wake up busting for a pee. Cutting off liquid in take a couple of hours before bed paying off.

After a wash I call out to my other half....nothing. I look round our home, scratch my head then I remember she'll be  working at the YMCA where she mentors 1 day a week. 

I think how proud I'am of this but I still worry....

In the kitchen I get cracking on prepping food. An hour later I'm done & it all looks rather daunting when I check off meals in my head.

I make half a cup of oats, 1 cup water, 1 scoop protein & 2 tbls of peanut butter & nuke it for a minute thirty seconds. This along with with a bagel & 2 eggs is technically breakfast at 15:00 while I'm also making up fried rice with mock chicken, mushrooms, peppers & salad onions.

My better half returns & we enjoy a cup of tea together before I set off for work, another 12hr stint awaiting me. Today I take the bus. I call it's passengers "the great unwashed" to myself... Harsh perhaps but accurate none the less.

Work was work 19:00-07:00, I ate when I could; wrote this blog & watched immortals on my iPhone before power napping to the sweet sounds of cattle decapitation (an all vegan band) & fukpig over my shifts duration.

I check, read & look mover my 5/3/1 a few dozen times, in PDF form so I can read it in IBooks. Looking at possible/future lifts & again urge myself to keep on track.

The biggest thing since using Wendler's method I have learnt is to make every rep count. We all know this to be true but even more so these days. Warm up sets aren't  taken lightly & form reins supreme, fuck what's loaded onto the bar. 

I think of all the partial rep guys, the "hand me the dumbbell" guys, seriously if you can't even get the
Dumbbells up to press them at what point does having them being given to you seem a good idea?....they Make me smile. Also I think of the douches using the Ghr frame for sit ups, they can fuck off as well...idiots, enjoy your bad back.

06:45 I'm changing into my gym gear & it's close to knocking off time. I have an double espresso (which must taste like the piss of Satan himself) & a banana as a little "pick me up".

07:18 I enter the gym, Time to be awesome.....

Thurs-8th-March Cycle 3 week 1 (3x5)

No interest in going anywhere near a type of conditioning machine....

Warm up with lighter sets, push ups & some stretching.

Bench press: 62.5kg 72.5kg 80kg

Assistance:
Incline bench press (programmed assistance 3x10) 42.5kg 50kg 60kg

Krock rows: today instead of two I did 1 warm up sets, then my ball out set. 30 solid, smooth reps per arm....really pleasing. 

Cable curls & body weight dips all in 3x10

Chin ups: did little sets of 5 between benching with wide grips & a couple of hammer grip sets. Also a quick & light 2x10 set of lat pulls as I had no more chins left in me.

Posting about chins recently with vegansludge has given 
Me a push to focus on wider chins....

Decent workout coming off nights, Can't complain.

This ranting was inspired by vegansludge:)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:38 pm 
Gorilla

I might make a requirement that whenever I have a day off and I'm working on my computer, that you have to update - loved everything about this entry (and not just because of the shout-out). Loved the insight into your thoughts - particularly about the eating carbs before bed, your description of the bus passengers, and how Wender's emphasizes the importance of every single rep as well as form - even though I'm only testing, reading over the handbook constantly has really put me in the zone to train smarter. It's amazing how effective it is to work with that kind of mindset.

You've inspired me to try my hand at Krock rows today after testing my OHP. I know the relative heaviness of the weight will be determined by thought but I'll be interested to see how many reps I can bang out with, say, 20s. I think it'll be a nice way to end my testing week.

Interesting that our conversation has pushed you toward wide-grip chin-ups, I've been playing around with grips on pulls/chins all week because we were talking about it.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:41 am 
Gorilla

Fri-9th-Match cycle 3 week 1 (3x5)

Couldn't take my foam roller with me today. Picking supplies up after the gym so no room in my bag. Warmed up with  mobility, stretching, lunges, body weight squats ect & lighter sets.

Squats: 80kg 92.5kg 105kg

Assistance:
Good mornings (programmed assistance 3x10) 40kg 47.5kg 57.5kg
Ghr & reverse hypers both 3x10

An circuit: leg raises, side bends, hanging leg raises & cable crunch.

With the end of week one in cycle 3 also means a break in play. I'm away next week Mon-Fri so won't train. I have internally battled about hitting Mondays lift Sunday & Tuesdays lift Monday so I don't need to go in after work on the evening Mon/Tues . Essentially getting a day in front.

This is just an excuse to not take an actual week off, which I haven't done since August last year, not missing a session. So it's time to rest & let my back (which is feeling tight) take a break.

I'm planning on taking no supps all week besides some protein & a bar for a snack each day. X2 scoops morning & before bed.

As much as I don't want to I need to do it....I tell people about how important rest is. Practice what you preach & all that :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:29 am 
Gorilla

vegansludge wrote:
I might make a requirement that whenever I have a day off and I'm working on my computer, that you have to update - loved everything about this entry (and not just because of the shout-out). Loved the insight into your thoughts - particularly about the eating carbs before bed, your description of the bus passengers, and how Wender's emphasizes the importance of every single rep as well as form - even though I'm only testing, reading over the handbook constantly has really put me in the zone to train smarter. It's amazing how effective it is to work with that kind of mindset.

You've inspired me to try my hand at Krock rows today after testing my OHP. I know the relative heaviness of the weight will be determined by thought but I'll be interested to see how many reps I can bang out with, say, 20s. I think it'll be a nice way to end my testing week.

Interesting that our conversation has pushed you toward wide-grip chin-ups, I've been playing around with grips on pulls/chins all week because we were talking about it.

I think I'll give the blogging a bit of a go more regularly. My brains pretty random at times so i'll to put my thoughts through a mental "sieve" before I post :)

Once back from my break I may need a tighter grip on calories. Not  that I'am one to over obsess but saying that I'am now up to roughly 187lb & for now I think it's heavy enough for what I'm moving a round. 

So it maybe I go with the idea of a extra meal on lifting days & monitoring it on days off. Will have a think over the coming week.

I may also roll with the idea of pairing upper/lower days on the 5/3/1 deload week. To allow more recovery & also the fact going in 4 times a week to do minimal work seems a waste of energy. I could go in, train well twice & get it all done....worth trying for a cycle at least.

I watched some guys using the pull up assistance machine yesterday. I'm yet to see a anyone do an actual chin but with assistance. People let the weight push them up via the knees & they'll then do a lite pull at the end. Can't explain it well but you must know what I mean...

How are the chins coming along? Manage to try hammer grips?

Ps I had to buy a large hoodie yesterday :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:13 pm 
Gorilla

veggiesasquatch wrote:
I think I'll give the blogging a bit of a go more regularly. My brains pretty random at times so i'll to put my thoughts through a mental "sieve" before I post :)

Once back from my break I may need a tighter grip on calories. Not  that I'am one to over obsess but saying that I'am now up to roughly 187lb & for now I think it's heavy enough for what I'm moving a round. 

So it maybe I go with the idea of a extra meal on lifting days & monitoring it on days off. Will have a think over the coming week.

I may also roll with the idea of pairing upper/lower days on the 5/3/1 deload week. To allow more recovery & also the fact going in 4 times a week to do minimal work seems a waste of energy. I could go in, train well twice & get it all done....worth trying for a cycle at least.

I watched some guys using the pull up assistance machine yesterday. I'm yet to see a anyone do an actual chin but with assistance. People let the weight push them up via the knees & they'll then do a lite pull at the end. Can't explain it well but you must know what I mean...

How are the chins coming along? Manage to try hammer grips?

Ps I had to buy a large hoodie yesterday :)

I usually exercise some restraint when it comes to what I post - my v-logs were a little less, well, tamed since a lot of it was off-the-cuff. I need to do a "final" one about it all since I decided 3/4 of the way through that it was far too unstructured to be continued/I'd made my point in my mind that it didn't really matter what I ate, just that I did. Which is why it just turned into me ranting about all kinds of nonsense.

Are you still putting on mass with how you're eating or just weight at this point? I know you're smart enough to just ride it out without putting on excess fat - just curious. You've put on so much muscle since you started lifting, be interested to see how long/far you can go.

Definitely know exactly what you mean with the assistance - I know I'm still going about it that way but I never half-ass a rep because I know I'll never be able to do an unassisted one if I don't push myself with them. And I did do some hammer-grips yesterday, actually. Felt so much better that way. Thanks for the tip.

Speaking of needing new sizes - all of my "small" t-shirts are getting really snug around my shoulders and upper-back. Pretty happy about that.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:54 am 
Gorilla

It's weird you've asked that because I'm currently writing a blog for cutting/bulking....I won't have time to post it before leaving Monday as I want to add in some progress shots...

I think right now I'm just heavy enough for my lifts. A point will more than likely come where I may need an extra few pounds to take me past a certain point but I think that's a way off. So realistically I'm just maintaining current weight.

A week off however is going to mean a few extra lb but that's kinda the point of a break. Not to worry over shit.

Nice feeling isn't it when cloths start to feel tight. Like a little nod to yourself it's coming :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:28 am 
Gorilla

Also do let my pics fool you. I have put on some fat round my stomach but I'n fine with that. It's something I can address if I want...main thing for me was to just get some weight on my frame. Once I post the blog up it'll be a good comparison.

I can still, just about get into my 30" jeans but they are becoming snug round the waist. It's more my quads filling them out so I need new jeans really...

I'm also plotting a blog about newbies using super sets & the like....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:11 pm 
Gorilla

Looking forward to reading your blogs once you get back as well as hearing about your break - hopefully you've been enjoying it and not chomping at the bit from the deload!

Just came across this Wendler article about conditioning - a lot of it's covered in the handbook but he gives more alternatives for people who don't have access to a Prowler/sled drags and the like: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... ioning_101

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:12 am 
Gorilla

A few nights back I had one of those surreal dreams . I can't remember the full sequence of events but at some point I remember standing in front of a mirror & seeing a very ripped, not huge but muscular reflection looking back at me...abs & all. This got me thinking......

This time last year when I was still a cardio freak after dropping 67lb in about 6-7 months prior I had a very lean physic ala Mr Pitt in fight club (but lighter I must of been) & I thought I looked very fit & healthy.
After wearing xl t's & 36" waist jeans being able to buy the skinny fit cloths seemed like a trophy of my hard work. Fast forward to present day & my views have certainly changed.

Seeing a picture of myself where my head actually looked like a toffee apple coupled with the fact my cloths in reality were a pathetic size for a guy I had to take action.
Now I'm weighing in at 187lb & I feel better in myself, my strength continues to grow along with my physic but above all I look a damn sight healthier!

The dream however had me musing.... "should I do a cut", "I wonder how I'd look" "Would it take long" & the like.

After processing this over a shift at work where I get left to my thoughts a lot one thing kept repeating in my mind.... "I don't want my lifts to drop"
It just confirms to me, once I'd realised I had been doing this was that...my goal, at a stripped down level, take away everything else is that I want to move a barbell which gets increasingly difficult to move....that's it.

I won't ever take away from the bulkers who will end up cutting, the cutters who in return will begin a bulk. For me it's a very primitive thing, I want to be strong but all year round.
I have nothing but respect for the bodybuilders of this world & on this very forum. I read countless articles, story's , workout plans & keep up with people's blogging here where bodybuilding is concerned. When I read people are cutting up & how meticulous they are with food it kinda blows me away. Also the love/hate affair with the scales, I have been there mind.

My biggest issue with the obsession with food on a cut is that it just, to me seems to detract from the actual point of going to the gym in the first place.... Also the idea of someone judging my body is another topic I don't want to cover. For me the number counting over takes the actual fun side of the gym.

My other gripe is beginners & intermediate lifters thinking 6 months, 1 years is ample time to build a solid base & will then want to cut....seriously wtf!!! Maybe in two years time mate, make that 3....wait 4 (myself included).  What these people fail to realise is that it'll take a long time to build proper muscle. As an example a good friend of mine with whom I use to work with was very over weight. After stripping that weight off he trained his ass off, stopped drinking, lifted smart & he had an amazing grip on his diet. 3 years on he added 50lb of mass. Only now is he thinking of a cut.

To finish off this rant I'm going to start with this conversation I had; "I'm wanting to bulk like you but I don't want to gain fat & I want visible abs while doing it". Face palm moment, I gave advice & I could see the "nah I'm not believing this" look in the guys eyes...may advice went along the lines of (also this goes to anyone wanting to gain):

"To gain muscle you're going to also have to gain fat, if you want to stay mega lean then you won't add any weight to your frame which in turn leads to over training & frustration. Under normal circumstances it's almost impossible to loose/not gain fat but add muscle..the only exceptions at a rarity being very obese, untrained people or folk on the juice"

I don't care If anyone bothering to read this doesn't agree & I in return I don't care you don't agree. Fact is your six pack is going to become a little blurry. I don't care how many crunches or ab circuits you do, even if you say you hit a million ab movements a day with multiple angles. All this does is over train the abs & burn much needed calories, also cardio (intense) is next to no good on a bulk. Minimal cardio on a bulk, just to keep the cardiovascular systems in check.

TO PUT ON WEIGHT YOU MUST CONSUME MORE CALORIES THAN YOU EXPEND! YOU WILL NOT PUT ON WEIGHT IF YOU DON'T!

You can't bulk & cut...simple! So man up, commit to the bulk & stop whinging!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:17 pm 
Gorilla

Excellent advice, mate! There was an article posted up on T-Nation a while back (at least I think it was T-Nation) talking about how, for all intents and purposes, bulking and cutting cycles were absurd in the first place because people end up losing hard-earned muscle mass when they cut and/or gain too much fat when they bulk - the smarter way to go about is just slow and steady gains to prevent muscle loss and keeping fat gain to a minimum. Seems like common sense but I think more people would do well to read what you just wrote, most definitely.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:18 pm 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Great writing mate.

I've never been a massive advocate of bulking as most people see it. I believe weight should be added consistently and slowly over a longer period so that your body can recognise the changes. How can it adapt if you blow up 20lb in a month? It can't ~ and you'll just end up losing it at some point. Gain fast, lose fast.

If you read through the last couple of pages of my journal you might notice that I'm gaining at the moment, this is deliberate and being done gradually through application of high quality foods/calories, an incremental fortnightly increase in calories and a slightly altered macro profile.

Everyone has opinions on this but many people never get the results, that's why I tend not listen to anyone and just figure it out for myself. Sometimes firsthand experience is just as valid as what science or studies dictate.

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 27  Next