Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bulking phase
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:47 pm 
Gorilla

I was looking at the meal plans on the main page the same time you posted!!! Obviously busy at work tonight;)

The same weight I have gained, I lost about 2 years ago now. I was generally unhealthy meat eater...the usual story. I dropped that same weight in about five months which, looking back was very unhealthy. I believe now that I was taking the first steps to an eating disorder at one point. 

All I really did to gain the weight was to eat the food I liked in larger quantities. Luckily that envolved mainly whole foods anyway,also pizza!!!

I'm of the opinion that macro counting is for the bodybuilder who's preparing for a show. If you're looking to gain, providing the food is from quality sources then I think you just have at it. The average gym goer (myself included) doesnt need to count every single thing they eat.

Eat enough that it's aiding the goal, be that cutting/bulking  & get the training right. Then you can kick some ass & live :))))

Ps I'm only 5ft 10" so the gains looks pretty decent haha

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:41 pm 
Gorilla

Fri-11th-May Cycle 5 Week 1 (3x5)

Worked last night & was pretty beat. Managed a decent amount of sleep but not great before training.

Lighter sets/mobility/stretching to warm up.

Main lift:
Squats: (warm up 52.5kg x5 67.5kg x5 80kg x3) 87.5kg x5 100kg x5 115kg x5 

Assistance:
Squats: boring but big 92.5kg 1x10 (70%) 80kg 2x10 (60%) 67.5kg 2x10 (50%) 
Standing hamstring curls: 3x12
Reverse hypers: 3x15

Abs: hanging leg raises 3x15

Quick 1 mile on treadmill

Summary:

No problems today, easiest week where gainings concern. Nice & strong on every considering I had about 5.5hrs sleep & little food before hand, the joys of shift work.
The lighter work allowed me to get in a little work on form but my squat forms pretty tight.
Pushed the bbb sets & I breezed through these. Though I won't be a hero & increase the percentages. Will keep them as is until next cycle, nice session & lovely weather :)))

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:30 pm 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Good stuff mate, sounds like you had a good week in the gym.

I like it when a plan comes together haha. You got much on for the weekend?

WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl
Image http://www.youtube.com/user/kiwilifter?feature=mhee

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:30 pm 
Gorilla

Ye mini nice session today, I'm killing it squatting atm. The bbb sets were a breeze to.

Nothing as yet planned for sat, though I'm working a night (friday)May try catching the new Johnny Depp movie, you? 

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:27 pm 

Just about to head away for the weekend, check out the last post in my journal. We have a holiday home on the lakefront so I'm gonna chill out over there until Monday. A nice long run or two, some swims in the lake and unwind without all of the constant technology that surrounds me.

See you in a few days mate, MF.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:27 pm 
Gorilla

If firm tofu is in fact firm I'd hate to use the not so firm version :/

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:58 pm 

You got your new belt yet mate?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:22 am 
Gorilla

Mon-14th-May Cycle 5 Week 2 (3x3)

Crappy day shifts this week so up at 5:00 & lifting at 19:15...pretty hot & stuffy all day....

Main lift:

OHP: (warm up sets 22.5kg x5 27.5kg x5 32.5kg x3) 37.5kg x3 45kg x 3 50kg x3 +5

Assistance:

OHP: boring but big 37.5kg x10 (70%) 32.5kg 2x10 (60%) 27.5kg 2x10 (50%)
Pull up: wide grips 4x10 hammer grips x10= 50 reps
Mts hammer strength row: can't really remember something like 30 plates x12 35 plates x10 25plates x12

Ab circuit: side bends, crunches, weighted crunches & tried out new hammer strength crunch machines...

Summary:

50kg being the heaviest set this week, which was the last heaviest set on cycle 4 with a minimum of 1 rep (I'd got 7) so was shooting for 7+ but wasn't there tonight. Got 5 & the 5th was not very pretty. I won't worry over not getting the 8 & dropping a couple of reps. Work was very hot & the atmosphere is very draining but I won't use that as an excuse. Defintly feel OHP will be the first lift to re program.

Everything else was fine, bbb sets were disgusting...

Last edited by veggiesasquatch on Tue May 15, 2012 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:23 am 
Gorilla

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
You got your new belt yet mate?

Yes mate it's awesome :)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:06 pm 
Gorilla

Tues-15th-May

Another day shift....busy all day long.

No foam rolling tonight. No space in my bag or time after work. Usual run through of warm up stuff.

Main lift:
Deadlift: (warm up sets 52.5kg x5 65kg x5 80kg x3) 92.5 x3 105kg x3 120kg x3+4

Assistance:
Front squats: (programmed) 57.5kg x8 65kg x8 75kg x6

Abs: leg raises 3x10

Summary:
Was dying to get in for deads tonight to try out the stuff advise by a competitive power lifter last week. Had heard a lot about the guy & he so happened to be squatting in the rack next to me. So we got talking about various training program's, 5/3/1, DC , Westside ect & I asked him to check my form out on deads. 

Though he said may set up/form was ok I should try a narrower stance, much narrower in fact as my back has been especially bad lately. Also a few smaller adjustments on a couple of things. I wore my new belt on all the working sets to simply aid my back. I have an issue, no time to be a hero. Great success tonight with the new stance & belt. Though I just left it at four reps (needed minimum of three) it was just pleasing to not have any pain at all, that was the biggest plus tonight. I have an osteopath appointment Thursday so hoping to move recovering along. Forgot my chalk as well which was annoying! 

Front squats felt strong tonight, nice & deep.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:07 pm 
Gorilla

Tues-15th-May

Another day shift....busy all day long.

No foam rolling tonight. No space in my bag or time after work. Usual run through of warm up stuff.

Main lift:
Deadlift: (warm up sets 52.5kg x5 65kg x5 80kg x3) 92.5 x3 105kg x3 120kg x3+4

Assistance:
Front squats: (programmed) 57.5kg x8 65kg x8 75kg x6

Abs: leg raises 3x10

Summary:
Was dying to get in for deads tonight to try out the stuff advise by a competitive power lifter last week. Had heard a lot about the guy & he so happened to be squatting in the rack next to me. So we got talking about various training program's, 5/3/1, DC , Westside ect & I asked him to check my form out on deads. 

Though he said may set up/form was ok I should try a narrower stance, much narrower in fact as my back has been especially bad lately. Also a few smaller adjustments on a couple of things. I wore my new belt on all the working sets to simply aid my back. I have an issue, no time to be a hero. Great success tonight with the new stance & belt. Though I just left it at four reps (needed minimum of three) it was just pleasing to not have any pain at all, that was the biggest plus tonight. I have an osteopath appointment Thursday so hoping to move recovering along. Forgot my chalk as well which was annoying! 

Front squats felt strong tonight, nice & deep.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:01 am 
Gorilla

Thurs-17th-May Cycle 5 Week 2 (3x3)

Had a couple of hours extra sleep as it's a day off. Warm up as usual, lighter sets/mobility & stretching.

Main lift:
Bench press: (warm up sets 40kg x5 50kg x5 60kg x3) 70kg x3 80kg x3 90kg x3+7

Assistance:
Bench press: boring but big 70kg x10 (70%) 60kg 2x10 (60%) 50kg 2x10 (50%) 
Dumbbell rows: all per arm 32kg x10 30kg x10 28kg x10 24kg x10 22kg x10 
Chin ups:Chins  3x10 hammer grips 2x10

An circuit: side bends, crunches, hammer strength ab machine

Summary:
Strong today on bench, minimum of 3 reps & got 7 on 90kg. Pleasing indeed. Bbb sets were fine, no issue there.
My lats were still a little sore from pull ups on Monday but I had planned to do chins today anyway but defiantly still felt the soreness even though they were getting hit a little different.

Solid session 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:31 am 
Gorilla

SO I had my first session with the Osteopath today. Basically, like many people when my feet face forwards my shins/knees twist, with my job being 12 hrs on my feet thats a problem right away. Ran though some mobility & there was no issue with pain. However my right leg/hip joint is incredibly tight, as in my range of motion, the left side not so bad.

We ran through the history of the issue, back into my teens & he obviously came to the conclusion I had. It's compression my back dislikes. He said it's where the hip meets the pelvis & that it could be inflamed from....of course weight training. He advised yoga to help my mobility, going to have another app in a couple of week. Had treatment today from a machine & some manipulation, man did I crack lol Glad to be working on this now but it leaves me being able to deadlift up in the air.......today I'm going to look at maybe going to a 3 day split again.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:01 am 
Gorilla

Fri-18th-May Cycle 5 Week 2 (3x3)

Got called into work as I had interview for a promotion...Got the job :) Manager stating my cover letter, interview & questionnaire being the best they'd had in a long time...so I then headed for squats. Usual warm up jazz.

Main lift:
Squats:(warm up 52.5kg x5 67.5kg x5 80kg x3) 95kg x 3 107.5kg x3 120kg x3 +6

Assistance:
Squats: Boring but big 92.5kg x10 80kg 2x10 67.5kg 2x10
standing hamstring curl: 3x12
Reverse hypers: 3x15

Ab's: Hanging leg raises 3x15

Summary:

Felt pretty damn flat today. Maybe from the osteopath session yday & that I woke up with a little cold...who knows. Even before the bbb sets I was feeling pretty drained. Managed to get 6 out on the last set (3 being the minimum) so that prob took most of my energy, currently lay in bed feel fucked....grinder today but all done now. Wkend off then it's to 5/3/1 week next wk,

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:10 am 
Gorilla

Mon-21st-May Cycle 5 Week 3 (5/3/1)

Had to work nights over the weekend (60hrs total week) & was, in all honesty pretty beat at work last night. I headed immediately to the gym when I got off work at 7:00. Usual warm up...

Main lift:
 OHP: (warm up sets 22.5kg x5 27.5kg x5 32.5kg x3) 42.5kg x5 47.5kgx3 52.5kg x1+5

Assistance:
OHP: boring but big 37.5kg x10 (70%) 32.5kg 2x10 (60%) 27.5kg 2x10 (50%)
Pull ups: All wide grip today just varied the distance of the wide grips 5x10
Krock rows: Prob shouldn't of put these back in till next cycle but want to use these as my extra back work. 2x10 warm up then just 1x12 per arm with a 28kg dumbbell, was feeling pretty beat at this point.
Tricep push downs: No idea why I did these, 2x20.

Ab circuit: side bends, crunches, hammer strength machine crunch.

Summary:
Start my new role this weekend on my shift. So busy, was tired from only getting roughly five hours sleep during the day.

I sampled a jacked 3d for a "pick me up" & not sure it actually did anything. OHP felt ok, not the strongest I ve felt but it wasn't bad hitting five on the one set. 
Bbb sets were a lot easier today.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 27  Next