Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project Heavygan: Eat Plates To Move Plates
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:39 am 
Gorilla

jungleinthefrunk wrote:
HAha the food photos just made me cry.

You could probably actually fit the Elvis wrap into your macros if you didn't use a whole banana and used a low-carb wrap (like those Flat Out ones with flax). I think it ended up being something like 11/30/29 sans banana/wrap.

lobsteriffic wrote:
Wow, your consistency is so awesome and inspiring!

Me, inspiring? I don't know about that! You're too kind.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:49 am 
Gorilla

Despite my best efforts to “sleep big” last night, I only slept moderately-sized, something around seven hours. However, instead of going straight for coffee this morning, I made myself slug back 32 ounces of water before taking in any caffeine. I was doing this every day from September until then end of October but, once I started working two jobs, hydration fell to the wayside. I’m going to go back to doing this every day as it helped boost my energy before I even took the first sip of coffee.

Of course, this could be psychological as I also probably had some additional “umpf” in my step – today was my “trial run” in a position at work that I’m really hoping I’ll be “promoted” into. There’s no pay increase that’s the appeal; it’s the increased pace and variety of tasks I’d have to perform that have me gunning for it. I think it went well enough but we’ll see what my superiors think as there are a few others who have applied for it as well.

While I was at work I heard that it was supposed to start snowing right when I was scheduled to clock out with the accumulation rate being something around an inch or two an hour. I immediately became anxious because I didn’t want to have to rush through today’s session just to beat out the bad weather. Luckily, the snow held off and I managed to get into and out of the gym without a single flake falling.

In terms of today’s session, I decided to go ahead and drop weight/ increase reps while also making sure I adhered to the “65-70% of maximum working sets” on squats despite the fact that I’d previously gone higher on them. While I was reluctant to do so, it ultimately worked out in my favor - today proved much more trying than previous hypertrophy days and I really did feel like I was going to have to crawl into my car. However, I made it there upright and with my dignity, for the most part, intact.* My legs, now, though, about three hours later … well, I did just have to limp to the bathroom but the only person who knows about this is me. And now everyone who reads this log.

Weight*

Ah, the caveat.

Not only was I actually hydrated, but I also ate breakfast and lunch today. I might inquire as to how often the scale is recalibrated but I feel like that might seem a bit … neurotic. The thing is, I feel heavier even the scale doesn't say that I am. Definitely will be buying a tape measure this weekend to properly track growth and figure out what’s going on.

Work out

Barbell squat

8x45
6x3x105
Notes: I don’t think any previously labeled “speed” squats were actually “speed” until today. I literally gave myself enough time to rack the bar, take a breath, and then immediately went to the next set. Depth was also unreal today.

Barbell front squat

8x65
2x12x80
Notes: I think my ass touched the ground on these today. That is all.

Stiff-legged deadlifts

8x80
2x12x105
Notes: That moment when you have four reps left in a set of 12 and you feel like you’re about to pass out? Yep.

Seated calf raises

2x12x170
Notes: If my calves had mouths, they would have been screaming. 4 second pauses on each rep.

Incline leg press

12x200
12x245
Notes: In order for this to happen, I took my hands off the rails and put them behind my back that way there was no chance for “failure” before hitting the reps I wanted. I like to live dangerously, I guess.

Seated leg curls

12x100
12x90
Notes: My body wanted none of these after all the other high rep sets. Mind over matter, man.

Dumbbell lunges

10x35
10x30
Notes: I wanted to do these with the 40s or 45s but, again, I got through about three reps with the 40s and fell over. Seriously.

Macros: 53/173/210 (58) ~2009 calories
Considering dropping my protein down from 180gs to something closer to 140gs. This is probably going to happen because 1.) I’m not on a cut so the likelihood of me using protein as “fuel,” instead of for mass building, is less likely 2.) I don’t like drinking so many of my calories and it’s hard for me to stay within my (carb) macros otherwise and 3.) To be honest, getting 50+g from powders is getting pretty expensive.

Food n00dz
Late night snack

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:56 am 
Elephant

OMG COOKIES AND CREAM BUILDERS!!! FML

https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorvannostrand100

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:44 pm 
Rabbit

>I think I've grown to use the word "fluffy" in a positive way recently.
Good! I've heard people use it as a reference similar to chunky (in a self-deprecating way). If yours is a positive one, then I retract my objection! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:21 pm 
Gorilla

Meech, I'm sorry for this post but, in my (fruitless) search for my squat video, I found all of these food n00dz I haven't posted yet ...

Everything home-made pizza (except the last of my free Daiya).

Home-made lentil and TVP samosa and lentil soup.

Super-spicy tofu, eggplant, beans, and onions with brown rice from High Thai'd.

And then copious amounts of Voodoo (for Nicholas, wherever he is).

This was actually breakfast. And when your breakfast looks like dessert, I think it's a win. Voodoo, peanut butter, granola, and blueberries.

And this, my friends, is IIFYM. Toaster pop, ice cream, and peanut butter.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:39 pm 
Gorilla

Arm and Chest Hypertrophy

Woke up in a bad mood, lounged around the house not really feeling like doing much even though I knew I should have been more productive on my day off. After checking out the new powerlifting class standards, having a toaster pop covered in PB2 as a pre-workout meal, I decided that since the only thing I was really looking forward to was the gym, I should probably actually get there and start working my ass off to reach my goals. I also figured if I was going to be a baby with my unnecessarily foul mood, I might as well do something that could possible cause it like, you know, crunches.
All joking aside, it did feel good to bust out some leg raises and side bends. Since I’ve seriously been considering adding a day of treadmill pushes, farmer’s walks, and cleans, I could probably also make that “core” day as well. Of course, I haven’t committed to adding this in since I’m unsure as to if it would completely go against my promise to not fuck with the PHAT outline.
What I do need to fuck with is my macros and my calories. I weighed in at a hydrated 121.5lbs in jeans, a t-shirt, and socks today after having eaten a pre-work out meal about 30 minutes beforehand.
Despite the disappointing weight-in, my mood’s improved a little bit, mostly because I came home and decided to start making chili. Everyone in my family has their own “secret” recipe and we all argue about which is the best so it’s like the ultimate comfort food for me. Well, besides pizza but I … may or may not have picked up a Tofurky pizza to have later this week because it was $4.00 off at my work. Don’t worry, I got the cheese-only one so no going back on my anti-gluten words.
I also found out that unfrosted Pop-Tarts are vegan.

Though, today I did have an Amy's toaster pop for breakfast. See food n00dz.

Outwork
Barbell Bench Press
8x45
6x3x65
Notes: So, only about mid-way through these did I realize I didn’t adhere to PHAT exactly but I also was killing these in terms of speed and form so I finished them out with higher weight than I should have. Adapative training is still my jam. Which is why these were super-setted with the following.

Incline dumbbell bench press

5x20
7x15
Notes: Wasn’t planning on these at all today but I had a pretty good pump from the speed sets and figured why not.

Strict curls with EZ-bar

10x30
10x40
6x50
10x50
Notes: The new class standards for powerlifting were released a few weeks ago and I finally got around to looking at them. Strict curls are now classified (though they do not count toward your total) so I wanted to try them out for the first time. I was disappointed with the 6x50 so I gave myself a little longer rest period and was happy with the results.

Hammer curls

8x20
2x15x20
Notes: I dropped weight on these after the first set because of what I talked about in the intro. I think a lot of it had to do with doing the strict curls first but we’ll see as the weeks pass.

Tricep pushdown with rope attachment

12x70
12x80
2x10x90
Notes: No mercy for my tris on hypertrophy day. None.

Cable flyes

12x30
10x30
12x20
Notes: My joints thank me for doing these instead of with dumbbells but I can’t help but feel, for some reason, like I’m cheating not using free weights.

Cable high curls

8x20
10x20
Notes: Someone at the gym should me these and I wanted to try them out. I can dig on them when I’m feeling exceptionally bro-y.

Machine chest press

2x10x40
10x50
Notes: Machine or not, I always feel these the next day. Plus, I decided I was going to do push-ups today anyway. Might start doing flat bench, though.

Dips

10x90 assisted
10x100 assisted

Chin up
10x100 assisted

Pull ups

10x90 assisted
10x100 assisted
Notes: Pathetic as always. I might switch these to earlier into the routine/onto power days, too.

Hanging leg raises
2x10
1x7

Crunches

Dumbbell side bends
10x20
10x25

Push-ups
50 kneeling
Notes: I can actually do “real” push-ups but I got through like 15 and my arms didn’t want them. I stuck with these even though they look kind of wimpy. Hell, it wasn’t until recently that I’ve been able to do the real deal so no care.

Macros: 25/151/224

Expect more things like this with the PT find.

Also a friend asked me how I was spending my Saturday; I responded with this photo:

And the words "Getting swole, NBD." She didn't respond for a while.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:51 am 
Manatee

Getting shredded! Your delts are killing it!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:07 pm 
Elephant

I hate your guys pictures of food. I'm always sitting eating something shitty when I stumble across these pictures haha. I wish I could make stuff like that!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:49 pm 
Gorilla

Shoulder and back hypertrophy day

Con: I woke up later than I wanted.
Pro: I slept for almost eight hours.

Con: I didn’t make coffee this morning.
Pro: I made my new favorite pre-work out snack: a peanut butter sandwich with mini-waffles for bread.

Con: The new bros at my gym do all the bro things that I once believed were internet jokes.
Pro: I now have quality entertainment during my quality work-outs.

Con: Not adding weight to my “big” lifts leaves me momentarily unsatisfied.
Pro: Adding reps to sets, instead of weight to reps, makes concentrating on form, ROM, and explosiveness that much more important and satisfying.

Con: Somehow Underoath ended up on my iPhone iTunes when I updated it.
Pro: So did Taking Back Sunday's Tell All Your Friends album.

Con: Because I woke up late, I didn’t have time to make myself lunch.
Pro: I made it to work early and was able to throw together a spinach salad with Thai TVP to have waiting for me on my break.

Con: New England won.
Pro: The Giants are the NFC champs!

Con: I worked the late shift.
Con: Now, I’m wiped out and still have about 800 calories to fill and I’m not very hungry.
Pro: Hopefully whatever I end up eating to fill in my macros.

Work out

Standing dumbbell shoulder press
12x20
8x20
8x15
Notes: Some guy was doing rows in the rack so I opted for these instead of speed on barbell overhead press. Closer to 65% of my max but with higher reps was my compromise to stick with PHAT.

Bent over barbell rows

8x45
6x3x65
Notes: Didn’t add any weight to stick with PHAT but increased speed. Just set the bar down, took a breath, then went right into the next set.

Seated dumbbell shoulder press

2x12x15
Notes: Rep increases.

Side lateral raises

2x15x15
Notes: Rep increases. Will be re-upping the weight on the next round since I’m getting full ROM on these with 15s.

Overhead front raises

2x12x10
Notes: Weight and rep increases on these. I’m not going to do regular front raises any more – I only want to be able to get them over my head and won’t be bumping weight on them until I can do them for 2x12.

Upright cable rows

2x12x70
Notes: Like buttah but less gross and more vegan.

Cable shrugs

2x15x170
Notes: Should have weight higher on weights.

Lateral pulldowns

12x50
12x55
12x60
Notes: I wanted to do these with 70s but I’ll take the rep increases and bump the weight next time around.

Long pulls

2x12x70
Notes: Hot. Damn. These burned today.

Reverse cable flyes

2x12x20
Notes: I love flyes now. Seriously.

Macros currently 18/109/137 but will edit them once I figure out what I want to eat.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:11 pm 
Gorilla

Rest Day

As soon as I rolled (yes, literally, rolled) out of bed today, I knew I wasn’t going to be on my A-game – yesterday’s session, for whatever reason, sure did a number on my shoulders and I felt it all day long. The soreness was a welcomed feeling, though, as it’s relatively easy to tell the difference between a “good” soreness and a “bad” soreness from the previous day’s work out. This was definitely the “good” kind.
Other than that, today was pretty average, even nutrition-wise. I went all (bro-)out today since I knew I was going to be having a couple of drinks after (what turned into a long, grueling day at) work. No real complaints, though, since I love me some spinach salad, rice cakes, and shakes.

Macros are currently set to end up around 10/133/200 (drinks included) which I know is under my target goal but I’ll make up for it tomorrow. No sense in trying to cram food down with brews when it’ll be more useful around tomorrow’s heavy leg day.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:41 pm 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Nice journal! How are you performing your front squats just out of interest? If you are getting ATG it's probably worth learning how to squat Olympic style as opposed to the more popular 'crossed arms' version which most people seem to perform. It's not incorrect, but it's not the optimal way.

When you cross your arms, you are more likely to let your back round when the weight gets heavy and therefore throw your form off and lose the weight in front of you. Rounding your upper back can also lead to injury b/c it's no lnger tight (arched back). Using the Olympic style is more efficient. It automatically puts you upright which will make it easier to keep your back arched and therefore allow you to lift more weight. Also, it's easier to keep your elbows up using the Olympic technique instead of crossing your arms, so you can purely focus on just lifting the weight. The weight should sit on your clavicles and your shoulders should keep them in place.

Just my 2c of course, your food photos look amazing !!

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:48 pm 

Also, I feel it's possibly worth me mentioning that I often notice the majority of people performing this movement incorrectly when it comes to foot position and ROM. Ideally you need to front squat with your feet at shoulder width or a bit closer, that's assuming that you are looking to work primarily your outer quads? Don't cut your ROM short either; it's hamstring to calves for the bottom position and not parallel, or above (which is even worse)! You'll find it easier to squat to that degree if you use a small block of wood or a small weight plate under your heels when performing the lift. This added height will help open up positions as well as helping to open your pelvis allowing your squat lower, and squat easier.

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:19 am 
Gorilla

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Nice journal! How are you performing your front squats just out of interest? If you are getting ATG it's probably worth learning how to squat Olympic style as opposed to the more popular 'crossed arms' version which most people seem to perform. It's not incorrect, but it's not the optimal way.

When you cross your arms, you are more likely to let your back round when the weight gets heavy and therefore throw your form off and lose the weight in front of you. Rounding your upper back can also lead to injury b/c it's no lnger tight (arched back). Using the Olympic style is more efficient. It automatically puts you upright which will make it easier to keep your back arched and therefore allow you to lift more weight. Also, it's easier to keep your elbows up using the Olympic technique instead of crossing your arms, so you can purely focus on just lifting the weight. The weight should sit on your clavicles and your shoulders should keep them in place.

Just my 2c of course, your food photos look amazing !!

First, thanks for the comments about the journal and food photos! I want to try and put as much of "myself" into the log as I can, though some days are better for that than others.

About front squats - no crossed arms here. I've always known it was an option but, like you said, it's not optimal and ever since I've gotten it into my head that I want to compete, the thought of injury terrifies me so I've never even tried it out. I really do appreciate the advice, though!

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:26 am 

Great to hear, refreshing to hear someone performing them the way they are meant to be done !!

Keep up the good work MF.

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:21 pm 
Gorilla

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Great to hear, refreshing to hear someone performing them the way they are meant to be done !!

Keep up the good work MF.

Hell yeah! I don't cross my arms on front squats and it's only recently been brought to my attention that I've always done low-bar squats, which is good since I'm looking to eventually do powerlifting comps. Thanks again.

IRON MNTN // LOG

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 29  Next