Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project Heavygan: Eat Plates To Move Plates
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:22 pm 
Gorilla

Lower-body POWER Day

I talk a lot about “making progress” instead of setting goals. Anybody can say “that’s my goal” with ‘that’ being any number of ambitious and brave things. ‘That’ could be signing a record contract, being drafted into the NHL, publishing a novel, competing in the UFC; ‘that’ could be something as simple as reading 52 books in one year, saving half of every paycheck for the next six months, or collecting every Bruce Springsteen album on vinyl. I have no problem with wanting to do something. I do have a problem with setting goals, though.
To me, goals are just words on a page or thoughts in your head – having a goal requires no action, just simply wanting to take action. Goals should never become “concrete;” they should be instantaneous – you should recognize your desire to do or obtain something and then, if this desire is strong enough, immediately, or soon after that recognition, starting taking action to actually do or obtain it. Until you do, that desire is simply that – a desire. Writing down your goals onto a piece of paper doesn’t get you any closer to them; it just means you wrote something down that you’d like to, maybe someday, accomplish.
You accomplish these things by making progress. And you make progress by having the drive to turn a mere thought into a reality. By taking action.
So, today, I went into my workout after working the opening shift at work on five hours of sleep after a night of drinking some brews and whiskey and I wanted to do one thing: pull one rep of 1.4xBW on deadlifts.
I squatted 1.4xBW.
I deadlifted 1.4xBW.
I leg pressed 3xBW.
I made progress.

Outwork
Barbell Squat
8x45
5x120
5x140
5x150
5x155
5x160
3x165
2x170
Notes: It was more like 2.5x170 but if it’s not parallel, I don’t want it. These felt fucking great. I’m hoping that means the plateau I felt coming on has decided to raise itself a bit so I can keep adding weight. We’ll see, though.

Deadlifts

5x115
5x145
5x155
5x160
3x165
1x170
Notes: I really wanted to rep the 170 but after squats, I just couldn’t make it happen. I actually pulled it twice but my back was far too rounded for me to think about counting it. I won’t be adding any more weight to these for a while either so I can make sure that form is perfect since it started slipping on the 165.

Seated calf raise

5x172.5
5x175
5x177.5
Notes: 5 second holds on each rep; could have went higher but I’ll save it for hypertrophy.

Incline leg press

5x230
5x270
5x320
5x360
Notes; I’m not going to lie. These made me feel like a fucking tank. I cannot believe I repped the 360. It was completely ass-to-ankle but it was damn close enough. Won’t bump weight until it is legit ATA and repped, though.

Seated leg curls

5x80
5x90
5x100
5x110
8x80
Notes: These were supposed to be 100, 110, 120, and 130. However, after deads, squats, and leg presses, I was already pushing an hour and a half in the gym/had the kind of jelly legs that made me question my ability to drive home. Maybe that’s an excuse but I’d rather give them my all on hypertrophy day. Same thing with lunges – which is why I didn’t do them today.

Macros are set to be 36/140/205 after I hit up Chipotle later (sorry, Meech) so I’ll update this with some food n00dz and the “final” macros tomorrow morning. For now, I have articles to read, note, and write.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:13 pm 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Great work, be careful on overtraining though. DL's and squats are a tough double to put into one session with the effort you are putting in there ~ and you carried on to hit leg presses after that ?! Not knocking you at all, I just know I would be beat after all of that and your session was a long one. You making today a recovery day?

I train singles, doubles and triples usually only once a month and I never train for longer than an hour.

Keep blasting it though, I find it inspiring to read through what you do!

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:38 am 
Gorilla

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Great work, be careful on overtraining though. DL's and squats are a tough double to put into one session with the effort you are putting in there ~ and you carried on to hit leg presses after that ?! Not knocking you at all, I just know I would be beat after all of that and your session was a long one. You making today a recovery day?

I train singles, doubles and triples usually only once a month and I never train for longer than an hour.

Keep blasting it though, I find it inspiring to read through what you do!

I've been following Layne Norton's PHAT pretty closely with my major change being traditional deads instead of SLDL on Power Days and then doing SLDL on Hypertrophy days. For a while I was alternating the order of the lifts so that, if one week my deads suffered, I'd hit them first the next week, but have had a harder time doing that since my gym has become more crowded.

So, with following PHAT, I don't have a recovery day until after I do my Upper-Body Power Day tomorrow. For the first two weeks, I'll be honest and say it was rough but now my body's gotten used to the ON/ON/OFF/ON/ON/ON/OFF split, especially since it's divided into upper/lower days.

Today was also the first time I'd done singles and doubles in forever as I've made it a rule of thumb not to bump weights on any bench, deads, OHP, rows, and squats unless I can perform a set of five reps with that particular weight. Since I had don't singles/doubles in I can't remember how long and I've been feeling a plateau coming on, I wanted to give them a shot. Because of that, today was also the first work out in a long time that took longer than an hour which I definitely didn't enjoy.

I was considering doing singles and doubles on my bench tomorrow but after today's session, I might hold off until the next cycle.

I also wanted to say I seriously appreciate your input - I was reading over your blog and I'm really glad you've taken the time to read my log and give me some feedback since you're pretty well versed in powerlifting.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:19 am 

Layne knows his stuff with regards to training. I don't agree with him about everything (he doesn't buy into the whole vegetarian/vegan thing) and only a few days ago he dismissed Dr. Campbells China study as rubbish, which surprised me. Oh well, that's another story...

No worries about checking in on your log, always take anything I say as constructive rather than a criticism! Feel free to comment on my journal too, I'm a competitive powerlifter but I'm a small guy just working as I hard as I can. I'm probably nothing amazing by any stretch of the imagination, I just enjoy doing what I do whether that's running, triathlons or throwing weights around hehe.

Training wise I'm running Wendler's 5/3/1 right now, before starting that I think I was maxing out on my big compound lifts more than I should have been and it was starting to slow down my progress.

Will check in soon, until then keep hitting it hard. Your username makes me laugh btw.

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:43 am 

vegansludge wrote:
GOALS
Short-term
Unassisted pull-ups
1.5xBW Squat
1.5xBW Deadlift
1xBW Bench

Long-term
600lb total
12lb muscle gain
Personal trainer certified
Natural powerlifting competitor
To be as strong as I can be

Great goals.

Aim high (but realistic) and don't let your mind dictate what your body thinks it is capable of. Visualise and achieve :D

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:54 pm 
Gorilla

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Layne knows his stuff with regards to training. I don't agree with him about everything (he doesn't buy into the whole vegetarian/vegan thing) and only a few days ago he dismissed Dr. Campbells China study as rubbish, which surprised me. Oh well, that's another story...

No worries about checking in on your log, always take anything I say as constructive rather than a criticism! Feel free to comment on my journal too, I'm a competitive powerlifter but I'm a small guy just working as I hard as I can. I'm probably nothing amazing by any stretch of the imagination, I just enjoy doing what I do whether that's running, triathlons or throwing weights around hehe.

Training wise I'm running Wendler's 5/3/1 right now, before starting that I think I was maxing out on my big compound lifts more than I should have been and it was starting to slow down my progress.

Will check in soon, until then keep hitting it hard. Your username makes me laugh btw.

I really respect and admire Layne but, like you said, I don't agree with him about everything. He,along with Alan Aragon, Lyle McDonald, and a few other guys, have been huge inspirations for me despite them not being vegan athletes. I did see him talking about the China Study and just shook my head - I lurk the bodybuilding.com boards a lot and there's always a lot of backlash when someone posts about a plant-based diet for bodybuilding, etc. Just makes me want to work that much harder to keep smashing down those stereotypes and be a strong, vegan, female powerlifter.

I've been keeping up with your journal since I subscribed to it and thought I'd already commented on it. Looked today and realized I hadn't! I'll get right on that.

Again, thanks. Your username makes me smile - plus, you really are a "mini" forklift.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:37 pm 

I just started following you on Twitter as well btw, I don't use it much but it's cool to see what's going and keep up with thing that interest me.

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:41 pm 
Gorilla

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
I just started following you on Twitter as well btw, I don't use it much but it's cool to see what's going and keep up with thing that interest me.

I've recently caught the Twitter bug since a lot of the people who I think are doing good things in the fitness industry (i.e. dispelling myths about training and nutrition that industry itself has created) tweet about articles/research much more frequently than they update things personal blogs/websites. I'll warn you, though, my tweets are pretty obnoxious since I think, for the most part, Twitter's pretty silly and my life is relatively boring.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:44 pm 

vegansludge wrote:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:

I've recently caught the Twitter bug since a lot of the people who I think are doing good things in the fitness industry (i.e. dispelling myths about training and nutrition that industry itself has created) tweet about articles/research much more frequently than they update things personal blogs/websites. I'll warn you, though, my tweets are pretty obnoxious since I think, for the most part, Twitter's pretty silly and my life is relatively boring.

X 2 :lol:

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:02 pm 
Gorilla

Upper-Body Power Day

Not having a set work schedule is just not conducive to my extremely specific, and somewhat contradictory, pattern of living. For example, I generally am in a much better mood if I wake before 10:00 a.m. but I am also more productive later in the evening – some of my best lifting sessions have started at 8:00 a.m. and some of my best writing has taken place after 2:00 a.m. Conversely, I sometimes have phenomenal sessions after working the closer and the poem that won me that Academy of American Poets award from my alma mater was written after waking up 6:00 a.m.
The reason I’m including these random facts about myself is that, this morning, I didn’t get out of bed until 11:00 a.m. and, while that meant I got in a solid eight and a half hours of sleep, it also put me in a horrid mood right up until I loaded the plates for my first set of bent over rows (which, in turn, did little to really alleviate my bad mood – it just simply turned it into concern for my lower back but more on that in a bit). I know I need to sleep big to get big but I also coined the axiom: the amount of hours in the day is directly proportional to the amount of peanut butter in my kitchen -- never enough. So, when I wake up two and half hours later than I planned, I get cranky.
Pair that with the fact that when I walked into my gym, there was a line for the rack, meaning I’d be even further “behind” for the day, well, let’s just say I wasn’t a pleasant person to be around until about 2:00 p.m.
However, while I was waiting, a simple conclusion came to me: since my work schedule comes out every Thursday, I’m going to sit down with my hours and map-out my week so that I can maximize my efforts on all fronts of my life – in the gym, on the page, and in my head. It sounds relatively silly but since I know the patterns of my gym’s “regulars” and I know what does or doesn’t make training optimal, I think this will help alleviate the rushed and unorganized feeling my life has come to embody recently. /tangent

Now, onto the work out. First, the negative(s).
01.) As I mentioned, rows felt decidedly wrong today, particularly in my lower back. After my session, I decided to look back over my log to confirm what I’d already known: this has been the case for quite some time and I’ve been somewhat ignoring it. No more. I didn’t add any weight, I dropped reps, and, probably foolishly, played with grip-widths to see if this had anything to do with it – definitely not the case. I’m going to take tomorrow’s rest day to really evaluate what I want to do about it (deload, sub, or cut the lift).
02.) I hate not having a spotter.

Now, the positive(s).
01.) Following PHAT even more closely and putting an emphasis on bodyweight exercises on upper-body power day was a great idea. I really have to push myself with dips and pull-ups because, like I’ve said many times, I’m extremely week in my upper-half and the feeling I get from these is great. And with the addition of rack chins, I definitely am understanding the hype surrounding these types of exercises.
02.) My standing shoulder press. I know that five pound increase seems pretty insignificant but I cannot articulate how much stronger I felt on this lift today. My first three sets were not a struggle. At. All. I was even tempted to go for 60lbs after the first set of 55 but chose not to – if I keep following my program the way I am, I have no doubt in my mind that I’ll be able to get 0.5xBW in the next couple of weeks.
03.) I felt pretty smashed after today’s session even though I cut out a lot of assistance lifts (no long pulls, no dumbbell rows, no skull-crushers) and I think it’s because of the increase in both my bench and OHP.

Verdict: Pleased with the session overall, now just to address the issue with rows and my weight – I’ve “stagnated” at 121.5 pounds precisely.

Outwork
Assisted dips
2x10: 90lbs
Notes: Started with these while waiting for the rack. Definitely not ideal for my big lifts or for these as I could have done them with 80, or maybe even 70, but I didn’t want to blow my compounds.

Bent over barbell rows

5x70
5x75
5x80
5x85
4x90
4x80
4x80
Notes: Like I said in the intro, these most certainly felt off today. I don’t know if it’s from the heavy leg day yesterday (though I don’t think it is) or if my form is off but I’m either going to deload, sub these, or scrap them altogether for a while. Not sure yet.

Barbell bench press

6x55
3x60
5x70
5x75
3x80
3x80
Notes: I stopped the set of 60s because I realized that’s what I should have started with and I didn’t want to blow my working sets any more than I already did by starting with dips. However, the 2x3x80 would have been 2x5x80 if I actually had a spotter.

Standing barbell overhead press

6x45
5x50
5x55
3x55
2x55
Notes: These seriously felt incredible today. Well, incredible for me. No complaints whatsoever.

Assisted pull-ups

2x10: 90lbs
Notes: Need to put serious work into these (and dips).

Rack chins

2x10
Notes: Since this was my first time doing these, I took it easy to get a feel for them: did the first set with the bar set at shoulder height when standing upright, performed the second set with it at chest height when standing upright. Will be continuously lowering the bar as I feel comfortable with to work toward doing them weighted and with feet on a bench.

Tricep pushdowns with rope attachment

9x80
10x90
6x100
Notes: Now we’re talking. The 100s were killer and I won’t be bumping weight on them until I can 2x15 for those.

Strict curls with EZ-bar

6x40
6x50
6x60
1x70
Notes: These are a lot harder than I gave them initial credit. The last rep was testing the waters for hypertrophy day.

Seated dumbbell shoulder press

7x20
8x20
6x20
Notes: I could have easily gotten 10 reps on the first set but I left some in the tank so I could do all three sets. These went up extremely easily even after all my other lifts. It’s nice to actually feel my shoulders getting stronger.

Nutrition
Pre-WO: Nada.

Berry protein shake and cinnamon, apple, and pomegranate oatmeal. (I don’t like pomegranate so I offered up the fruit on top in exchange for the coffeeshop letting me use their microwave. Barter and trade rules.)

Snacks: Not pictured but I think they'll deserve their own post anyway.

Total: 62/134/217 (37) ~1962
Notes: Fat’s a little higher than normal but I’ve also been taking in sub 0.5g per pound of body weight on most days so I don’t mind the slight bump. I’m not worried about not hitting 2,000 today since my fucking food scale broke so there’s a chance I’m over on some things, under on others. Will be picking up a new one either tomorrow or by the weekend.

More importantly, I’m not sure how I feel about my target macros anymore but I won’t be altering them for a while. Why?

Because I just decided today that I’m going to do a pre-WO meal for the next two weeks - one week with fast-release carbs followed by one week with slow-release to do a comparison – and, if this really does affect my sessions positively, I’ll be less-inclined to decrease my CHO/re-up my protein and fat like I’ve been considering.

If anybody's interested, I’m going to be documenting this slow vs. fast carb experiment in a series of video-logs which will largely consist of me sitting on my ass, eating, first, bowls of sugary cereals, pop-tarts, waffles, then a week later, oatmeal concoctions, rice cakes, and whole grain toast, while running my mouth about IIFYM, veganism, and the food industry (especially since I know I run the risk of getting some flack for actually buying products from companies I don’t necessarily want to support for the sake of trying to dispel some myths surrounding veganism and nutrition, both together and independently, while also seeing if the hype surrounding Pop-Tarts is deserved). I had planned on just posting them on my tumblr but, if people want, I could throw them up on here as well, especially since I plan on videoing all my power days from here on out, if not to post, at least for my own reference.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:33 pm 

I gotta step up my journal. yours is so detailed and complete with amazing pictures of food that I'm afraid I might not be able to sleep tonight !!

I just skim read it now (I don't lie), will re-read through all of it tonight when my attention span is a little better. I like your bartering skills, genius !!

Oh, and I answered your leg press question in my journal earlier this arvo. Cheers ears, MF.

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:22 pm 
Gorilla

Rest Day

I made a serious mistake yesterday before work. I started watching the documentary If A Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front.

Approximately a half an hour into the documentary, a man who worked in the logging industry, but also considers himself an environmentalist, states the following: “The industry tends to color environmentalist radical. The reality is that 95% of the standing native forest in the United States have been cut down. It’s not radical to try and save the last 5% - what’s radical is logging 95%” - he motions to an empty valley “this is radical.”

I had to stop the documentary even though I had plenty of time before work to finish it. The atrocities of mankind are no longer shocking to me – I spent my years as an undergraduate as a fiery “radical” environmentalist, eating leftovers off people’s plates so they wouldn’t go to waste, jumping into to dumpsters to get my food for the summer, and recycling and repurposing everything in sight all while spouting my extreme philosophies at anyone who would listen (or pick up the school newspaper). Since then, I’ve become soft and while I could chalk it up to “growing up,” I feel like that’s a cop-out because know that’s not just it. It goes deeper than that. I didn’t just “grow up,” I “sold out.”

I’ve settled, somewhat discontentedly of course, into my current routine of having a 40-hour work week (at a place I don’t necessarily believe aligns with my morals and ethics) because the pay is good and not really much else other than that, the gym, and my measly little online blogs. I’ve also settled into not being as passionate about certain things that mean quite a bit to me, namely environmentalism, which is something I didn’t admit to myself until yesterday morning. This was a solid punch to the jaw as my passion for environmentalism is what led me to becoming vegan – it was the area of social justice that moved me the most and now I do little, if anything, on a day-to-day basis about it.

Of course, I’ve also made up excuses as to why I can’t do much about, ones made largely out of fear. Fear of losing my job, fear of my neighbors judging me, fear of … things I used to scoff at just months ago ...

Unlike my other entries, this one doesn’t have some nice little closing statement – yesterday was pretty taxing mentally as I spent the majority of it inside my head, weighing my options, truly assessing my current position, and being completely honest with myself about how unhappy I’ve been about some things. I wouldn’t say that this is a bad thing, though, just that I don’t have anything extremely ‘final’ to say about it as it's gotten the wheels turning in my head quite rapidly.

So, in "conclusion," I'm glad yesterday was a recovery day as I was able to work through things in my head somewhat and can focus on lower-body hypertrophy today and movie-date night with my lady tonight. I think we're getting take out from Melt and watching Thor at our apartment afterward so I am going to destroy my legs to get them ready for all the food I will be ingesting. Gains, anyone?

Macros: 50/171/215

I made myself some serious comfort food for dinner last night - my version of chicken and waffles.
Hickory and black-pepper grilled tofu, mini-waffles, raspberries and blueberries, with a side of PB2.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:39 pm 
Gorilla

Sidenote(s): I got videos of speed squats, front squats, and leg press today. I will probably be putting the first two up sometime tonight most likely when I actually update. Avatar is from the 150 deads from a few weeks ago - pissed I don't have the 170 on video.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:05 pm 
Elephant

I know how you feel about selling out. I have that battle in my head too.....i try to do the "least evil" in many aspects of my life. social work = the least evil profession (although the pay and benefits afford me a great deal of comfort, more than most of my clients have), veganism = less evil way of eating, although i know if i ate more locally it would be better for the environment, adopting all pets = less evil, but still feed them non-vegan cat food... i feel horrible when i look at the tags in my clothes...made in brazil, probably by children... starbucks...
when it comes time to buy a new car, id like to go electric..but if the monthly payments are gonna be high, will i do it? probably not...
status updates on facebook silly dom mazzetti quotes rather than anything profound that might spark thought in other people..
transitioning some of my cosmetics to vegan but not all of them...

https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorvannostrand100

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:38 am 
Gorilla

For the most part, I avoid all the companies and products I know that, even if they are vegan, are owned/produced by environmentally destructive parent corporations - from the "obvious" ones like Silk and Boca to even less obvious like Rice Dream (Hain Celestial is also owned by HJ Heinz) but ... occasionally I do slip up and, when I once would have never even not thought to double-check something out, when I do find out ... I've just been shrugging it off. A lot of it comes from being surrounded by people who don't care at all and I got into the mentality of, "well, I'm doing better than most people" - and while that's true, it's disheartening to realize how much I've compromised my principles, morals, and ethics slowly over time without really thinking about it until it all of a sudden smacked me in the face.

Today was better than yesterday, though, as I got a lot of things done and I can see the positive in "doing better than most people" instead of the negative. I just want to go back to being more active and pro-active about my beliefs.

IRON MNTN // LOG

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 29  Next