Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project Heavygan: Eat Plates To Move Plates
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:42 pm 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Mmmmmmmmm !!!!!!!

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:24 am 
Gorilla

vegansludge wrote:
veggiesasquatch wrote:
Happy to read you got a lot out of it. I won't rag on sites, magazines posting this & that "killer" routine, at least they'r putting something out there. For me when these program's start trying to rewrite the book of lifting I just read 5/3/1 again . I honestly can't see myself using another program, just will mix it up by using different templates from 2nd edition.

Hope the "testing" goes well. I'm sure a deload will get you chomping at the bit to get cracking, just remember the long term goal that your aimng for.

When you choose the template you wish to go with just make sure it's to aid the actual big lift, I know you've already read this but it does make you think about what it is your doing, which can only be a good thing.

Eg, A guy who I know exclaimed to me he'd just (isolation) curled a 16kg db for 20 reps, on asking him what was the thinking behind that he just gave me the "nobody's home" look.

I did say well done though, at least he is doing something, I just wanted to plant a seed in his head haha

I'm currently still debating between BBB and the David Tate templates as I can see how either would be extremely beneficial for me at this stage in my training. BBB would definitely help with growth and perfecting form; Tate would allow me to target my weak areas a bit more directly. Though, that makes me lean toward running BBB for the first few cycles and then switching it up once I've set up an even more solid foundation after a few months.

Tomorrow will be week 11 of PHAT and the following "final" week will be when I test my maxes in the manner you suggested - do a four day split only doing the "big" lifts and going balls to the wall on those and taking the next week as a light deload to prepare myself for the new program.

And I definitely agree with you about having a program that makes sense, i.e. each lift and exercise serves a purpose. If I've learned anything from PHAT it's that, while I love the volume, a lot of it is unnecessary. If I were focusing on being a bodybuilder, ever lift is important but, for example, the called for 6 sets of calf raises isn't really helping out my squat, you know? It's been a good learning experience, though, and I don't regret seeing it all the way through whatsoever.

Are you reading the 1st or 2nd edition? As the 2nd has a lot more templates...

The Tate template is good but take my advice & do not pyramid the sets (light to heavy)...I did this & by the 3rd assistance I was beat. To much again....I'm using the programmed assistance from second edition which is a lot like the Tate one but has a loadable (barbell work) assistance...You then hit the whole upper body (lats, Mid back, triceps & biceps) Twice a week but its light(ish) work and in 3 sets of 10 reps...Lower days I do deads with front squats & Squats with good mornings...GHR & reverse hypers on lower days to.

Heres how I work it:
After the big lift & programmed assistance on upper body days on a Monday I do chins ups with various grips for lats & a cable row for mid back. Then when it's Thursday I'll do a type of lat pull down but then dumbbell rows. I think having a harder day for each back part works well for me, two lots of chins & free weight rowing twice a week would prob mean I'd of not recovered in time.

Dead lift day i do 3x10 GHR & Hypers, Squats just 5x10 GHR as part of the warm up/assistance.

Like all assistance though after the loadable assistance don't think to much about it (besides the chins) if you were to go this route.

5/3/1 triumvirate is also a great template if you go with 4 days a week:)

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:22 pm 
Gorilla

veggiesasquatch wrote:
Are you reading the 1st or 2nd edition? As the 2nd has a lot more templates...

The Tate template is good but take my advice & do not pyramid the sets (light to heavy)...I did this & by the 3rd assistance I was beat. To much again....I'm using the programmed assistance from second edition which is a lot like the Tate one but has a loadable (barbell work) assistance...You then hit the whole upper body (lats, Mid back, triceps & biceps) Twice a week but its light(ish) work and in 3 sets of 10 reps...Lower days I do deads with front squats & Squats with good mornings...GHR & reverse hypers on lower days to.

Heres how I work it:
After the big lift & programmed assistance on upper body days on a Monday I do chins ups with various grips for lats & a cable row for mid back. Then when it's Thursday I'll do a type of lat pull down but then dumbbell rows. I think having a harder day for each back part works well for me, two lots of chins & free weight rowing twice a week would prob mean I'd of not recovered in time.

Dead lift day i do 3x10 GHR & Hypers, Squats just 5x10 GHR as part of the warm up/assistance.

Like all assistance though after the loadable assistance don't think to much about it (besides the chins) if you were to go this route.

5/3/1 triumvirate is also a great template if you go with 4 days a week:)

Shit. Definitely reading the 1st edition. Need to snag a copy of the second one.

I took today's lower-body power-day to really nail down my weaknesses and to help me decide on which template/assistance lifts would be the most beneficial. Got some serious thinking to do.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:40 pm 
Gorilla

Check your email :D

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:14 pm 

Thought you might like this, an inspiring little clip of my new training partner...

18yrs old and a lifelong vegetarian; pound for pound probably the strongest deadlifter I know and he has only been training just under a year using 5/3/1 8)

http://biggerstrongersmarter.wordpress.com/2012/02/24/roar-deadlifting/

He's the first one up in that clip, that's his final lift from a meet we both competed in last week. A comfortable 484lb deadlift at 147 bodyweight (3.288 x bw). I was sat off to the side when he pulled that and he I can tell you that he made it look easy. He told me he pulled 506 in training at the end of January, but he didn't want to attempt that weight as it was his first meet ?!

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:00 pm 
Gorilla

veggiesasquatch wrote:
Check your email :D

Damn, thank you. I started reading as soon as I got off work and now I have even more thinking to do - but it's definitely welcomed.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Thought you might like this, an inspiring little clip of my new training partner...

18yrs old and a lifelong vegetarian; pound for pound probably the strongest deadlifter I know and he has only been training just under a year using 5/3/1 8)

He's the first one up in that clip, that's his final lift from a meet we both competed in last week. A comfortable 484lb deadlift at 147 bodyweight (3.288 x bw).

Holy. Hell. Between you, sasquatch, and now this kid, 5/3/1 has some serious great vegetarian representation. I cannot wait to test my maxes next week and get going. Just gotta nail down my assistance lift decisions.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:13 pm 
Gorilla

No fancy intros for these - working on v-logs and I've had a couple of split/double shifts this week.

Lower-body power day
PHAT: Week 11, Day 1

Barbell squat
5x85
5x115
5x135
5x155
5x165
5x170
5x175

DE squat
3x5x135
6x135
8x135

Standing barbell calf raise
16x160
30x200

Hanging leg raises
2x6
3x10

Leg press
6x360
10x270
15x180
20x90

Leg curl
10x90
2x12x80
10x70

Macros
Mocha Java BBQ tempeh sandwich topped with sauteed mushrooms, onions, and peppers with a big old salad.
52/132/216

[b]02.29.12
Upper-body power day
PHAT: Week 11, Day 2

Barbell bench press
5x45
5x55
5x65
5x75
6x80
3x85 (PR)
2x5x70
2x70
4x65
5x65

Standing barbell overhead press
5x45
5x55
2x5x60
3x55
5x45
Notes: These were shit after benching. They definitely deserve their own day at this point or one of those two lifts end up suffering. I was so irate about this. Hence why I didn't bother with three sets of chins.

Assisted dips
10x110
10x100
5x70
2x5x80
7x90
10x90

Assisted pull-ups
10x110
10x90
4x5x90
5x100
2x100

Rack chins
2x10

Tricep pushdowns with rope attachment
10x80
10x70
10x60

Ez-bar strict curls
12x40 (rep increases)
6x40
12x30

Macros
51/172/196

Misc.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:48 pm 

That last shot is a cool photo, looks like it was taken in the 80's. Retro.

Your food is to die for, I'm gonna look you up when I come back to the States haha !!

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:36 am 
Gorilla

Converge <3

Don't let the choice of assistance become all consuming, use the first cycle & try a template each week. Then stick to your choice for at least 3 cycles so you can see progression.

Use the assistance for that template (or use similar ones from the section where he shows the best assistance movements) but don't add anything that's not there. I know at least two people who did the usual thing & "tweaked" the programm. The assistance actually hinderd the main lift.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:00 am 
Gorilla

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Your food is to die for, I'm gonna look you up when I come back to the States haha !!

I would definitely cook for you!

veggiesasquatch wrote:
Converge <3

Don't let the choice of assistance become all consuming, use the first cycle & try a template each week. Then stick to your choice for at least 3 cycles so you can see progression.

Use the assistance for that template (or use similar ones from the section where he shows the best assistance movements) but don't add anything that's not there. I know at least two people who did the usual thing & "tweaked" the programm. The assistance actually hinderd the main lift.

Converge is one of my favorite bands of all time, most definitely.

And thank you for always giving the best advice. I'll definitely try a different template each week for the first cycle instead of overthinking it. I'm going to try out BBB, Triumvirate, and N.O.V. but, since I don't have a Prowler or weighted sled for conditioning, it's going to be all hill sprints and steep incline, heavy carry farmer's walks which I know is tweaking but I'd really like to do more conditioning.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:01 am 
Gorilla

V-Logs: Back With a Vengeance!

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:51 pm 

Just popping in to say hi, haven't had a chance to watch your latest videos yet (but I will)!

Hope you had a great weekend, when do you officially start 5/3/1?

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:36 pm 
Elephant

Do you use any hair products?

https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorvannostrand100

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:23 am 
Gorilla

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Just popping in to say hi, haven't had a chance to watch your latest videos yet (but I will)!

Hope you had a great weekend, when do you officially start 5/3/1?

Finished my last "official" day of PHAT today; starting to test my maxes either tomorrow or Tuesday depending when I feel like I've gotten enough rest between lifting and then, instead of doing a full-on deload, taking two full days off from the gym and starting from there. I'm actually in the middle of writing up a post about how I'm going to go about all of it. :)

jungleinthefrunk wrote:
Do you use any hair products?

Nope. I just use a solid shampoo bar from Lush and/or their dry shampoo.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:06 am 
Gorilla

Since I'll begin running 5/3/1 after testing my maxes, and I negated stiff-legged deadlifts on lower-body power day and fucked-up my OHP on upper-body power day, I decided to give deads and OHP their own days this week. I think the results of this speak for themselves.
I also decided to use these two work outs to try and figure out what assistance lifts I'll be using for my trial of the Triumvirate template. Pretty sure I've got it all figured out. Feels awesome.

PHAT: Week 11, Day 3
Lower-body hypertrophy day

Training

Warm-up: Back raises, crunches, 100 jump ropes.

Barbell squat
3x10x65

Barbell deadlifts
5x135
5x155
5x165
10x175 (PR)

Calf press on the leg press
3x15x250

Leg curl
8x100
2x12x80
17x70

Leg press
2x12x270

Seated calf press
2x15x45 (8 second holds)

Back raises
15x10lbs
2x10x10lbs

Dumbbell side bends
25x30lbs

Nutrition
~53/150/200

PHAT: Week 11, Day 4
Back and shoulders hypertrophy

Training

Warm-up: 2 minutes hill walking (3.3 speed, 6 incline), 1 minute sprint (7.3 speed, 7.5 incline), 1 minute walking (3.3 speed, 7.5 incline), 220 jump ropes.

Standing barbell overhead press
5x45
5x50
5x55
5x60
5x65
5x70
3x75 (PR)
2x75

Rack chins
8x5 (done in between OHP sets)

Barbell shrugs
10x135
10x185
20x200
10x185
15x135

One-arm dumbbell rows
3x10x40

Arnold presses
2x10x15
10x10

Lat pulldowns
10x60
10x70
12x80

Seated dumbbell shoulder press
2x15x15
12x15

Delt flyes
2x10x25

Nutrition
~60/130/200
I went out to brunch with a friend and the nature of the meal made estimating macros a bit difficult today. A not greasy falafel wrap and some really greasy french fries makes it difficult to determine calories but, to be safe, I just estimated it as around 900-1000 (since the fat was pretty high), made sure I hit my protein target, and then used up what was left of the 1000 as I saw fit.

IRON MNTN // LOG

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 29  Next