Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Curious
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:54 pm 
Manatee

Better upper body workout today, but still not quite up to par.
I decided to drop weight on a few things and increase the reps...it was a little boring and tedious, but in the end it hurt, and it seems to have been something I needed to do.

Flat bench 65lb x 10r x 3s (not as easy as monday morning)
-10 push ups
Pull ups (gravitron - lifting 80% bw) 10r x 3s + 5 extra reps
Cable rows 12r x 3s
-10 push ups
Preacher curls 20lb x 20r x 4s
Standing BB curls 20lb x 20r x 2s
- 10 push ups
Sitting DB shoulder press 10lb/side x 20r x 3s
Front/lateral raise combo 10lb/side x 8r x 3s
- 10 push ups
Skull crushers superset w/ tricep press 30lb x 12r (12 reps of each exercise [aka 24r]= 1 set) x 3s
Tricep extensions 17.5lb x 20r x 3s
- 10 push ups
Bent over BB row 50lb x 15r x 3s
Push ups - incline/decline/flat, 15r each

Tomorrow I'm kind of excited for...the gym is going to have to wait till after work instead of at lunch, but I'm going to do my leg workout and then zumba! :) That class never fails to make me feel good all over.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:57 pm 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

You're gonna do legs before a Zumba class? Yikes !!

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:42 pm 
Manatee

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
You're gonna do legs before a Zumba class? Yikes !!

Yep! :) Though I got out of work late, so I only had time for some squats and deadlifts. To make up for it I increased reps, though. Doing my workout first lets me get more out of the class...it hurts a little, but only in a good way!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:30 pm 

Good work, I am impressed. Hope you had a great Easter weekend, MF.

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:01 pm 
Manatee

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Good work, I am impressed. Hope you had a great Easter weekend, MF.

Getting called into work again tomorrow, it's going to mess with my workout a bit. Since I didn't get anything done this weekend, I'm essentially going to do a 2 in 1/whole body workout, emphasis on my upper body workout with a couple intense leg exercises. I'm going to try drop sets tomorrow for the first time. I'm hoping incorporating those and 21's for biceps will give me that extra punch I've been missing for the last while.
I'm also hoping I'll be left alone to concentrate on the workout...turns out my trainer friend is all kinds of crazy. Let this be a lesson to everyone else - never get involved with a trainer from your own gym! haha

So plan for tomorrow...
Some type of cardio before breakfast...Maybe treadmill, maybe a jog outside (doubtful though, it's supposed to be really cold), or maybe jump rope. I think it will depend on the time I wake up.
Upper body workout followed by modified leg workout.
Work for the afternoon, then seeing American Reunion with a friend! :)

Tomorrow is also "priming" day. Just read an article on controlling carb intake (carb cycling, essentially) and I'm going to try it out. So ultra-low carb intake tomorrow, which is really going to suck!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:49 pm 
Manatee

Pretty good workout, though I didn't allow myself enough time and had to skip several things. I also forgot to do my final 3 sets of pushups, which I didn't realize until I got home from work tonight.

I added a full set of pull ups, continued with 10 reps for my bench, used half-method drop sets for DB bicep curls and DB shoulder press (makes the muscles BURN!)...
I only did dips for triceps due to time, didn't do standing BB rows or pulldowns, but I did increase squats again (from 2 sets (10) at 65, 2 sets (10) at 85 to 2 sets (10) at 65, 2 sets of 6 at 95. I haven't lifted that much in MONTHS, and even then it was on smith machine. I haven't lifted that much free weight since high school.
Deadlifts I decided to stay with 3 sets of 10 at 105.
I followed everything up with some jump rope..2 minutes of it, I think.

Cardio before breakfast this morning definitely didn't happen...my anti-morning personality got the better of me.

Tomorrow is a day off (though by the looks of the schedule at work, I'll be getting some cardio...), then upper body on lunch wednesday, legs/zumba on thursday after work! :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:07 am 
Manatee

I think I'm in the gym too much...I was bench pressing in my dream last night.

I never did get to do legs/zumba on thursday :(
On wednesday I felt up to trying some cardio for the first time in 5 months, a light jog at a slight incline on a treadmill. I wasn't up to it. I made it 16mins of my intended 20 before I felt that oh-so-familiar twinge in my groin. I might have been fine afterwards, but at work I was having to hurdle the baby gate we have for the bosses' dogs..definitely made things worse.
I skipped the leg workout on thursday, and obviously zumba, too. Did upper body yesterday - it felt great. I usually don't listen to music while I workout, I never needed it with the music being on in the gym. With my personal issues being within the gym, however, I've been really distracted. I took this little old school mp3/radio with me, and even though it was just a radio station I had on, it really brought me in to myself...if that makes sense? I was a lot more focused. I guess I should make myself a little more current and get an ipod lol
Today is supposed to be legs, but I don't think it'd be a good idea. So heat, ice, and walking the pups is what my day has in store for me! Hopefully I'll get back to it on thursday. :boxer:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:14 pm 
Manatee

Pretty solid workout yesterday..still a little unfocused, but definitely more centred than before, and I'm definitely more determined.
Bench Press - 65lb x 11 for 3
- 10 push ups
Preacher Bicep Curls - 30lb x 14 for 3
Cable Bicep Curls - x 12 for 3
- 10 push ups
Pull ups on gravitron - 80% BW x 10 for 4 (I switched to neutral grip - I really feel it this way!)
Cable Rows - x 12 for 3
- 10 push ups
DB Shoulder Press - 15lb DB x 13 for 3 + an extra 6 reps at the end after a 10s rest
Front/Lateral Raise combo - 10lb DB x 10 for 3
- 10 push ups
Standing Tricep Extensions - 17.5lb x 20 for 3
Tricep Dips, feet on stability ball, 25lb plate on legs - x 12 for 3
- 10 push ups
Standing BB row - 40lb x 20 for 3
3 sets push ups, 15 each

Back at it tomorrow! Not sure legs on thursday is going to happen, though... :( I'm holding out a bit of hope for it still.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:01 pm 
Manatee

*Sigh* No workout today. I spent my time on the couch with the dogs drinking pop..I really, really didn't want pop, but it's one of few things that keep my throat from feeling like a punching bag every time I swallow. Ibuprofen has also been my best friend today..it stopped my head from feeling like it was going to explode from the pressure.
Today's workout is being done tomorrow, whether my body likes it or not. Legs definitely won't be done tomorrow, sadly :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:39 pm 
Manatee

Last week was such a write off...I only got to the gym on monday and saturday. Blah.
Today was a really good workout..different gym where I have no personal distractions, and the environment is definitely made for lifters. I was diggin' it.
Killed my shoulders with 4 sets of military press...after 3 sets of 12 with 30lbs I felt I could do more, so I grabbed the 20 and pumped out another set of 12.
I tried a new exercise for biceps..it's a normal DB curl, but when lowering the weight you turn your hands so that palms face down. Those suckers burn.
I increased my bench by 1 rep/set again (up to 12). Except this time I did 2 sets of 65, then increased to 75lb for a set of 8. I wanted to do more but I was pretty sure I wouldn't get the bar back up.

As of this weekend I'm putting serious consideration into competing within the next year... :?
I found out that 2 of my classmates from high school are competing (both guys), and another that was in powerlifting with me. It makes the idea/possibility of me doing it seem very real. On top of that, a friend of mine is wanting to get into competing as well, and he would be willing to sign up if I do. EEK! It's terrifying...I'd love to do it, but I don't know if I can. I look at the women I'd be up against and I don't look ANYTHING like them...
Advice, anyone??

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:36 pm 
Manatee

Back to the gym after a day off yesterday..Quite looking forward to it, possibly due to renewed perspective. I discovered that I no longer properly fit in my batman shirt because my shoulders got too big. I'm both thrilled and a little sad about this lol

Attachments:
P4210902 (464x640).jpg
P4210902 (464x640).jpg [ 153.95 KiB | Viewed 1076 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:05 pm 

Nice Batman shirt !!

Hope your throat is starting to feel better now? You never know, you might have needed that week away from the gym and it might have actually benefitted you in terms of muscular/mental recovery. Just go hard again from now.

Even from all my time doing powerlifting, I can honestly say I have never had a single dream about bench pressing lol.

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:16 pm 
Manatee

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Nice Batman shirt !!

Hope your throat is starting to feel better now? You never know, you might have needed that week away from the gym and it might have actually benefitted you in terms of muscular/mental recovery. Just go hard again from now.

Even from all my time doing powerlifting, I can honestly say I have never had a single dream about bench pressing lol.

I do feel stronger this week after taking most of last off..but if I had my choice I still wouldn't have taken the time off lol I didn't like it all.

Dreams about lifting are kinda fun...you wake up with more desire than usual to get to the gym! lol It's like the dream workout energizes you!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:45 pm 

Hope you have a great weekend, anything planned?

I'll be back in the gym next week, have had an enforced rest and I can't wait to get stuck back in !!

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:51 pm 
Manatee

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Hope you have a great weekend, anything planned?

I'll be back in the gym next week, have had an enforced rest and I can't wait to get stuck back in !!

Gotta hit the gym at 7am tomorrow, other than that my time will be spent looking after a rather sick pup :(
Have a good time getting back into the gym! That's the only benefit of taking time off...it feels 10x better going back.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 24  Next