Back to fighting form.

Thulpa

I am not really sure where to put this, so I will attach it here and hope that it goes over well. I am looking forward to the 12 days of motivation, and I am super excited to be a part of it.

Name:Steve

New Year’s Resolution Goal:My first MMA fight

Start Date: 12/20/11

Desired Achievement Date:anytime in 2013

Past workout History:I have been a powerlifter, trained for a half century, lifted more than 1200lbs on leg press, lots or prior experience in MMA style competitions, yogic training, pretty much anything that involves being active. Not much of a runner though

Biggest Obstacles: I am really heavy right from a medical issue over the summer, I was unable to do any physical activity for months which lead to a funk that I have gotten out of, my muscle structure is that of a heavy lifter, it was the last type of training that I did, I need to restructure to a combo power/endurance mix.

Favorite Foods: Vega/sun warrior and OJ, Cashews, kale/spinach, Fruit of all kinds

Favorite Exercises: Anything but running, though specifically Juijitsu, kickboxing, cycling, power exercises like squat, incline press, etc.

Current training frequency: LIfting in the mornings, classes Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday.

Any injuries or info your mentor should have: You do not play as hard as I do and not have a couple injuries. I just got over a pinched nerve in my knee. Nothing major, just needed a couple weeks of not training. I have the ankles of a 70+ year old according to one doc, though they roll rarely, they have served me well. My right hip was dislocated and never set right, I have a stress fracture of the right collar bone, thought it does not bother me too much. Actually, when you are in the sport of hurting others, you tend to know very well how much pain you can take and where your last rep or action will be. Also, you know how long you need before you can go back to doing what you love.

My biggest issue is that I do not know how much I need to eat for my exercise level, nor what I should be eating. I will have 2-3 scoops of Sun warrior a day + 1 of vega sport, as that is the most expensive compared to Sun Warrior. I tend to eat a lot of fruit. I do Door to Door organics medium box of fruit a week, and that is typically enough fruit for me to eat, I like the grab and go nature of it. I falter at eating though. Some days all I will eat is fruit and a couple protein shakes. I do love raw cooking, and have several raw books and tools to make raw foods. I just don't think I eat enough on a regular basis

My biggest hang up is knowing too much. My training gets scattered as I tend to train for a whim not a goal. One of the Reasons that I want to do MMA again, is that I can use all my knowledge, but I tend to still be scattered when it comes to training. In essence my training is like a disorganized desk, I know where everything is, but it is hard for me to be consistent. I have trained to be a power lifter, I have trained for super endurance exercises, I have trained for just about everything and love training, I can never settle on the right path.

Why a year? I know that you probably looked at that and said, that is a bit far off. When you consider that I need to reshape my muscles for endurance and power, as well as drop down in weight, it is about the appropriate amount of time. I know that I am going to have injuries, and that nothing happens over night. I will be happy with steady gains. I know that about 6 months is enough to drop down to where I will train at, and 6 more months to be in consistent enough shape to fight. If I can do it sooner, all the better, though realistically speaking, this seems like the best path to walk down.

That is my training in a nutshell. I try to keep journals, though I am terrible at filling them out. I will carry one and do a page or two and go wow that is awesome, and never finish.

Cool, I have had some views, but mostly I am sure that people are wondering if I am going to be around for a while and what I have to say. Part of my goals for next year involve being a part of this community, and learn while doing. Thanks to everyone who viewed, look forward to hearing from you and I will be around to help in the coming months as I train. Think this fits best for what I am doing.

Steve

Journals are good for focusing your training. I know that I need mine to look at what I did last time, and then figure out mentally what I want to do the next time, and then see if my body is up for it.

Your goals sound really grounded in reality. But you will need some short term goals to keep you focused I think. Sometimes 6 months seems like a long time, and you can get excited in the beginning, and then begin to become scattered after a couple of months, and then before you know it the 6 months are gone, and you did not get to your goal.

So, looking forward to seeing your goals put into action, and action being recorded here for us to see possibly.

Thanks for the advice, I will set some short term goals, and focus on small steps towards a great outcome. I have been buying up one on one training so that I am able to remember all that I had learned in Jujitsu. I am look towards setting some smaller things. I will post more as I come up with them.

Tonight, I have 2 hours of Boxing and Jujitsu. Off to make Quinoa.

Thanks to those who read and post.

Steve

Training has gone well. Eating lots of fruit, Grappling more, and I have a few more sparring partners. Still not eating enough, I am running into snags with training competing with time I have to make food. (hence a Love of raw foods).

I am enjoying the run of the 12 days of fitness. I am hoping my buddy Rob gets some rest soon.

More later.

Steve

A bit of unorthodox training, I moved out a uhaul into a storage unit. Carrying items moving the heavy things without a dolly or cart. It reminds me of training that I read about. When the UFC fighter would dig a grave, and then fill it in as part of training. The trainer would time them, and see how they improve. There is something gratifying about a helping a friend out, but also getting a good workout in in the process. Tomorrow, is a non training day, or a day that I climb the walls. I have a hard time sitting still as it is, when I start a training program, I have a worse time. I am going to prep food for the week, and make sure I have enough items to train myself during the Gym bird season. I usually have to work out really early or really late to avoid all the "this is the year people".

Happy training.

Steve

Happy January to everyone. I hope that everyone got the start that they need for the year. I to hold off going to the gym for the first couple days of the new year, as they tend to be over crowded from the seasonal lifters and joggers. Instead, I am going to do body weight workouts today. Tomorrow, I have more time as I am off of work. It is also one of the double training days that I have.

I picked up Animal flow exercises from global body weight movement, and that is going to be today's workout with some yoga, and extra challenges. I look forward to seeing how everyone does this year.

Good Morning, I tend to update these in the morning before heading out to the gym so stats are going to be for the previous days workouts, not current day.

Yesterday was Chest day.

Incline Press 60,70, 80lbs, 6x2, 6, 3.

Decline assisted machine 145 6x3, 180 x 6

Cable Cross 50lbs, 6x4

Cable flyes 40lbs, 6x4

Cable low raises, 10lbs, 6x4

Cycled for 40 mins.

Food not so good, though that is my Achillie's heel. I had a peanut butter sandwich, vegan banana bread, 2 vegan cookies, 3 apples, and a protein shake. Yep, not enough calories, though I work a shift job, and I got called in unprepared. It is an excuse, though I am bad with food even when work does not rear it's ugly head.

Today is Back day, and a training night. I am going to pack a couple protein shakes for training tonight, and I have lots of vega sport gels, so I am going to bring along a couple for the night.

Happy Tuesday everyone.

Steve

I am reminded of why I do not go to the gym in early January. There were so many people at the gym there was a line 10 people deep for cardio equipment. All the benches were taken, I ended up grabbing a rack, and staying there. I did have a nice conversation with some of the other gym rats who are in the 9am-11am range. We were splitting the rack, so that we could all get a workout in, without fighting with January masses.

Food!

V. Banana Bread x 3.

Flat top super protein vegan stir fry

Vegan Pad See Ewe

Pre and post workout shakes

Today is leg day, I am going to go to the gym late tonight, after work when everyone will be home. I am just going to have to go late at night, to make sure that I can get in there. That is what I did on Monday.

Thanks for reading.

Steve

In going along with my plan, today is going to be a conditioning day. Biking and striking before I go to work later on today. The worst part of shift work, is that some days you have to be up really late and turn around and be up really early. It can be hard and demotivating. There are days when I go to the gyms and only lift 60% of my best because I am really tired or I have not had enough rest. Today is going to be one of those days. Only about 5 hours of sleep, and I am prepping for my time at one of my gyms. Time for a protein shake, and tomorrow to hit up the boards.

Started a journal, got my protein bars today from my friends at vegan proteins. It was a good day. My trainer gave me the advice to go to a crossfit gym, and there happens to be one down the street. While I do love to powerlift, this is a welcome change as I am currently trying to drop weight. I even have friends who are into this, though have not gone to real classes yet. So that is in the works. While I did not get to the gym today, I only got 5 hours of sleep, and nothing short of grams of caffeine was going to get me focused enough to get to the gym. Tomorrow, I have a friend heading to the gym with me. I am not much of a team lifter, though I think I lifted my best when I had a spotter.

I have a story, I popped on twitter after my workout and saw that Robert and I did the same workout yesterday. I trained with my friend yesterday, and she is not quite ready for crossfit training, so I took her through a strength series, while I lifted for power. I will start with the lifting.

Standing Shoulder Press:

135lbs. x 6

185lbs. x 3

185lbs. x 3

185lbs. x 2 I was starting to struggle with form

Lateral Pull Down

100lbs. x 6

120lbs. x 6

120lbs. x 6

120lbs. x 10 - I need to up this weight for the next round.

Upright row - This is an odd one to me, the machines we were on have a different series of numbers on weights them than I am used to lifting, for instance I usually use a Smith machine at 95-115lbs, those were taken, so I went to a cable rack, and those were listed with numbers from 5-95. I ended up at 42.5 after some testing.

42.5lbs. x 8

42.5lbs. x 8

42.5lbs. x 8

Reverse Grip Pull Down

120lbs. x 8

120lbs. x 8

120lbs. x 8

Warm-up was on a spin bike using Brendan Braziers VO2 training program listed in Thrive Fitness. This is a great program to get warmed up. It also is something that I can do to help with my breathing.

I have been doing better with food, not the best, I had an unexpected bill hit my account, and that took out part of my food budget. I love eating fresh so I always set money aside to do so. So I am eating things that I still have, though I ran out of flax seeds yesterday. I can still make a lot of recipes, I am just out major sources of whole food protein until next week. I have plenty of protein powder. I always stockpile that, I am terrified of running out, and I use a lot during heavy training days. I am a huge fan of the vega sport powder, even if it is super expensive. I also have a lot of sunwarrior around as well.

This next week is going to be a touch tougher than this one, I normally had three days off of work while I am in school, now I only have two. I am trying to work out more training days for competition, though I have more than a full plate.

Good luck everyone

Steve

Morning Everyone. I hope that training is going well for everyone. Good luck to those doing the 12 days challenge.

Yesterday was Leg day. I love leg day, nothing makes me feel stronger than working out my legs.

Squat

225lbs. x 6

275lbs. x 6

315lbs. x 6

315lbs. x 6

Seated Leg Curl

90lbs. x 10

90lbs. x 10

90lbs. x 10

Leg Press

450lbs. x 10

540lbs. x 8

630lbs. x 6

Good Mornings -> This works back and legs, I do them as part of a rack work out.

95lbs. x 6

95lbs. x 6

95lbs. x 6

Calf raises -> I normally work out my calves on leg press or when squatting.

135lbs. x 15

135lbs. x 15

135lbs. x 15

I am feeling a little sore today, though my gym partner and I were supposed to work out more, though we were going on two hours there. Today we are going to go condition. If it stays warm enough to ride my bike I am going try getting in some winter miles. I love that it is super warm in January.

Thanks for reading

Steve

Wow, I missed a day. I have done really well to keep to date on most lifting.

Yesterday, Push/Pull with shoulders. I hit a new PR with shoulders, 60lb dumbbells, though I struggled getting them up, I was able to get 6 reps out. I will need some help moving heavier weights as I progress with that exercise.

I have been training with a friend in Heavy weights, doing the Crossfit work out of the day, though I count that as Cardio, not as much as lifting. (mostly, because I like to lift heavy weights, so I call that lifting. Crossfit still kicks my ass though). Training with a friend has helped me remember a lot of the things that I have used and not thought of in a while.

MMA training has temporarily stalled as I am trying to work out a new work schedule to be able to attend more classes. I have a shift work job, so I have had to make a couple sacrifices in training, in trying to maintain a sleep schedule and a workout schedule.

Shoulder Press

40lbs. Warmup 12 reps

50lbs. 10 reps

60lbs. 6 reps - Struggled getting these up, so I will need a little more arm strength.

50lbs. 10 reps

Bent over rows

60lbs 8reps x 4 sets

T cross (Front raise, hold, out to sides, hold, back to front, hold.

15lbs 6 reps x 4 sets

Close grip lat pull downs

100lbs 10 reps x 4 sets

It was a quick workout, I had to make sure I could shower before work and prep food.

I am restocking food today, I need some more x-protein tofu and OJ.

Thanks reading everyone, hope your workouts are great

Today was brutal. In kickboxing, everything was on fire all class. I have worked out everything in the past few days, and every body squat, every arm circle, every push up burned, I felt proud that I have gotten as far as I have. I can already see changes in my body, and how I am feeling. I just need to eat more as I work out, I am not eating enough to feed everything that I am doing. I joined up with myfitnesspal.com and I will be posting the same blog there as I place here.

Good luck everyone, see you in the fields.

Steve

I never know what to do with rest days except this one...This one I am going to rest. I barely moved all morning before classes, and I am back to sitting again before work. So today is going to be a day of rest. We all need them to grow. I will be back tomorrow to post how the rest day went and to talk about tomorrows workout, one of my favorites Chest and arms, I tend to use this workout as a reward, or to pull me back into the gym.

Work out was really good, I back up in numbers to pre-injury Incline dumbbell press. Wow, I was actually disappointed that my gym only goes up to 100lbs on dumbbell.

Incline Dumbbell press

60lbs. x 10

70lbs. x 8

80lbs. x 6

60lbs. x 10

Cable Cross

50lbs. x 10 (x3)

Cable Flies

40lbs. x 10 (x3)

Hammer curls

30lbs. x 10 (x3)

Wide grip bicep curls

60lbs. x 10 (x3)

Over head tricep press

60lbs. x 10 (x3)

Tricep press down

60lbs. x 10 (x3)

I feel Like I cannot eat enough food, I am not following my plans as I am trying not to eat my arm halfway through the day. I am eating 6 meals, so I think I am going to have to up my caloric intake so I am not feeling like I am starving.

Take care everyone, Tomorrow I will be around the boards to say hi and see how everyone is doing.

Steve

Not sure If I am still qualifying for this, I tend to post at random times of day and night. I think that I am still in the good graces though. This has become more than just a training journal though. I am thinking today will be a light lifting day, though I never know until I am in front of the weights how much I am going to lift. I tend to play it too safe sometimes, and need to up a bunch of weights again.

Today is push/pull shoulders and lats. Oh and shoveling. Lots of shoveling. I am not going to complain too much as this is the first snow, and usually the first snow is around October.

Thanks for reading

Steve

Day 3 of 3 of extended rest. I pushed really hard and changed up my workouts this week. The only issue is that when I do that I do not have the internal barometer as to how hard I am pushing myself. I pushed myself so hard, I had trouble walking for 2 days. Giving that I need to stand for work, that is not a viable option.

I have a friend who is a shutter bug, I want to have pics up soon. Even If I am not looking the way that I want, it will be nice for progress reasons.

Steve

And we are Back. I love the first day back to the gym after a rest, It fills me with wonder and refuels my will power.

Powerlifting 5 x 5s today. All with a one second hold at the hard part of the exercise

Dumbbell Shoulder Press

40lbs

50lbs

60lbs

50lbs

40lbs

Seated Row

180lbs

230lbs

270lbs

230lbs

180lbs

Upright Row

95lbs

115lbs

135lbs

115lbs

95lbs

Front lateral Raise

10s

15s

20s - against a wall, so no cheating

15s

10s

Lat pull downs

Low Row

Some of these felt easy even at high levels, though I want to respect the weight that I have done, I will up a couple of them for the next workout.

Food has been good now that I have money and a little time.

Off to work

Steve

I am enjoying a day off of work, which is nice because It means I can get more training in than a normal day.

1/16 lifts 5 X 5 powerlifting

Squat (lbs.)

Decline abs (BW= Body weight)

BW

BW +25lbs

BW +45lbs.

BW +25lbs.

BW

Lower Back Raise

BW X 5

I have back issues and this one can sideline me for months I am not careful and respectful.

Hamstring Curl (lbs.)

I have had plenty of Vega to fuel me today, I always stockpile, and I realized that I had three Vega Sports proteins. So I had the last 4 servings in one of them, and feel like I can conquer the world.

Off to grab so tofu wraps, and lunch items.

Steve