iris777888's training journal

Training Journal - Dec. 31, 2011 - Day 0

So excited to be journaling on the site in an attempt to have some accountability to someone other than myself! A bit of an intro:

I've been vegan since shortly after my son was born, almost 5 years when as a breastfeeding mom I truly comprehended the realities of dairy for the first time. Been vegetarian for about 8 years.

Excercise is currently sporadic. Lifting, running, Bodyrock, other stuff. No trouble maintaining my weight, have been steadily gaining endurance and strength but really need to step it up in order to lower my body fat percentage and show off my work!

Some major goals for the new year are to eat more whole foods, specifically more vegetables, and to excercise more consistently. Mostly want to bring my BFP down!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jan 1, 2012 - Day 1

So far today, menu has consisted of the following:

smoothie with oj/frozen spinach/frozen strawberries/ice/frozen blueberries/banana

homemade wheat pancakes with maple syrup, veg sausage

clementine

soy latte

green lettuce salad, butternut squash ravioli

black tea - 20 oz

red tea - 10 oz

water - 16 oz

Not nearly enough fruit and veg, but was limited to what's in the house as grocery store was closed for New Years and also was cooking for the family. Will likely eat more before the day is done.

Workout:

Did three of the five Body Rock interval workouts in the 20 min interval cardio workout, each 4 mins long:

High knees - http://www.bodyrock.tv/2009/07/27/20-minute-interval-cardio-workout-part-15/

Burpees - http://www.bodyrock.tv/2009/07/28/20-minute-interval-cardio-workout-part-25/

Jumps - http://www.bodyrock.tv/2009/07/30/20-minute-cardio-workout-45/

plus 25 crab toe touches

All in all a pretty good day given it's a holiday. Need to figure out when I'm going to get my BFP tested (it's free to do it twice a year at the gym), so I have a starting point for comparison.

Jan 2 - Day 2

Eating

Today was not great. Too much processed stuff, high in salt and needs more protein!. So far has included:

Heart Thrive - Apple (1/2 in AM, 1/2 before bed)

Carrots

Raspberries

Peanut butter (just ground peanuts) on whole wheat toast - 2 pieces

Snowpeas

Clementine

Carrots

Homemade pizza/sauce with Daiya

OJ

Water

Black tea

Black tea with dash of soy milk

Workout

BodyRock.tv just posted Day 1 of a month-long plan which was a 7 minute interval workout test to use as a benchmark and redo at the end of the month. My scores were:

squat jumps 24

pushups (knees) 20

burpees 10

high knees 146

lunges 20

jump tuck 11

abs 17

Not the greatest scores, but it's late at night and my son was doing the exercises with me and interjecting his own counts!

Measured 50/10 second intervals using this online tabata clock workout timer - http://www.beach-fitness.com/tabata/

Jan. 3 - Day 3

Workout

Ran 1 mile (9 mins) on treadmill for warmup

Lifted arms: (Pounds - reps x #sets)

Bent-over row - 25lbs - 8x2

Dumbell bench press - 22.5lbs/side - 8x2

Overhead (Military?) press - 25lbs - 8x2 (took it easy due to neck nerve issue)

Barbell upright row - 35lbs - 8x2

Barbell curl - 25lbs - 8x2

Punching - 7.5lbs - 12x2 for each side

Shrugs - 20lbs - 8x2

Plank - 1 minute

Stretching

Food

Vanilla Spirutein with soy milk (post workout)

Decaf coffee with dash of soy milk

Clementine

Hummus on whole wheat pita

Snowpeas

Carrots

Raspberries

Plain cous cous with vegetables (mushrooms, green/red peppers)

Sunshine burger on bun with ketchup

One serving Tias chips (Salsa Picante)

One Justin's dark chocolate PB cup

Tea with dash soy milk

Water

Still not great, lots of processed stuff at the end of the day, but managed a few more vegetables for some variety.

-----------------

Jan. 4 - Day 4

Had to travel for work today. Did not yet fit in a workout. Want to do the BodyRock day 2 stuff but thinking sleep is a better plan at this point. Diet was OK, not great, again due to travel/forced business lunch. Had a hard time finding anything I could eat at the restaurant.

Also, tweaked a nerve along my jaw yesterday while doing overhead presses. Feeling is still off today. Don't understand for sure why it happened but was able to find reports online of others who'd had something similar happen. Perhaps clenched jaw? If anyone reads this, advice welcome.

Edited by iris777888

Day 5 - Jan. 5

Workout

Had to give the gym a miss due to dental appointment. Wanted to make sure that I got at least some workout in, but only had a few mins, so did 4 minute burpee intervals. Not as much as I would have liked to do, but better than nothing. Need to step it up now for the weekend, push and get caught up on a few of the BodyRock workouts.

Food

For the most part I seem to be falling back into familiar eating patterns, with a few more fruits and vegetables added here and there. I am fine with that small improvement for now, just need to keep improving. It's also been a long time since I tracked my diet, so it's interesting to see the nutritional profile. It's different than I would have guessed.

Day 6 - Jan 6

Workout

Did the BodyRock Day 2 Challenge today - http://www.bodyrock.tv/2012/01/03/day-2-of-our-30-day-challenge-good-feeling-workout/. Pretty complicated with all the combos. Had to simplify slightly and watch instructions a few times to manage it. Son helped me again.

10 high knees, 10 mountain climbers - 5 sets

2 squat jumps, 2 push-ups, 1 tuck jump - 3 sets

Jump legs out/in on hands- 26 sets

Push-up, jump, squat, jump - 4 sets

5 tuck jumps, Jump feet back, in & squat hold - 2 sets

One leg push-ups, alternate L & R - 11

Switch legs lunge & overhead reach - 12 sets

2 side lunge (skater), 2 side punch, 2 tuck jumps - 5 1/2 sets

10 squat, 10 squat jumps - 1 set

10 elbow to knee, then switch sides - 2 1/2 sets

Jump legs out, then in, push up - 13

Speed run - didn't count them

Day 8 - Jan. 8

Workout

Scheduled as my active rest day today. My family and I went on a hike. Ended up running part of the trail (including some hills) with 60 pound kid on my back! Was a lot of fun and unusual to be able to do in January.

Hoping to get back to my lifting this week, as well as incorporate a few of the BodyRock 30-day challenge routines.

Diet

Not keeping track today.

Day 9 - Jan. 9

Workout

Unusually busy day at the gym today! Didn't do any warm up cardio because so many of the machines were in use. Lifted arms. Many of the same exercises as last week, except did 3 sets instead of 2 since I had extra time w/out cardio. Went up to the 45 pounds in upright row. Also did dips off a bench.

Diet

Know I fit in some extra vegetables, but still not as good as it could be! Didn't keep track again and can't remember everything I ate. Need to keep track again starting tomorrow.

Day 10 - Jan 10

Workout

Cardio plus abs. 9 minute mile and was even able to crank out a few reps at 100lbs on the nautilus abs machine.

Food

Slipped back into my old style of eating already. Had no interest whatsoever in making/eating supper so had more Spirutein and toast. Need to shape it up! Will be refocusing today on more whole foods, as many fruits and veg as possible.

Day 12 - Jan. 12 - Snow day!!

Workout

The only workout I got today was shoveling snow!! Call it an active rest day I guess...

Food

Didn't eat much. Out of my routine, stuck at home. I know I CAN and WILL start caring more and plan better options. This has to stop for me to see any progress!

Hey Iris! Great job on the consistent journaling! And shoveling snow definitely counts as exercise!

Hope you find the motivation to prepare good food to fuel your body. I understand, as I've been lacking motivation lately, too (and want to eat everything I see!). But, I think you have a good idea in using the weekends to prepare and plan your food for the week. Just make several dishes at once and then stick 'em in the fridge/freezer for the week. Voila!

Keep up the great work!

All the best,

Karen

Day 13 - Jan. 13

Workout

Another snow day! More shoveling, running in the snow, building a snow cave, other fun snow stuff. Also did a few bodyweight exercises.

Food

Ugh. Still not back on it. Things are going to change, I can feel it. Ha ha.

Edited by iris777888

Day 14

Workout

In the morning, dancing with my son! Talk about a fun workout!! Later in the day, BodyRock.TV challenge week 2, day 5. Time was 13:29.

Lisa's 600 Rep Challenge - http://www.bodyrock.tv/2012/01/13/day-5-week-2-of-the-30-day-challenge-blue/

100 High Knee Skips

100 Lunge kicks

100 High Knee Skips

100 Squats (had to modify to 50 squats, extra 50 high knees due to sore knee)

100 High Knee Skips

25 Straight Abs

25 V Abs Left

25 V Abs Right

25 Bicycle Abs

Food

So/so. Better than yesterday!

Hey there!!

Thanks for the wonderful and uplifiting message you posted on my journal recently! I had a rough few days of feeling pretty low, and it really helped a lot, so THANK YOU!!

Hope you're having fun in the snow, wherever you are, and staying warm!

Happy Monday, and let's kick some a$$ this week!!!!!!

Jan. 16 - Day 16

Workout

Even though I was running late this morning, did a quick 100 high knees, 25 burpees, 100 high knees, 25 situps, 10 pushups as fast as I could. Enough to work up a sweat. Good thing because it's looking like I'm not going to get to workout tonight! Glad I got something in, even if it's not what I wanted to do today.

Food

Better than I have been doing, still room for improvement! Tomorrow I am traveling for work again, so won't get full choice over menus. Did get some input into restaurant this time so know they have something I can eat. Sometimes tough where I live to get anything vegetarian, let alone vegan!

Jan 17 - Day 17

Workout

Was expecting to be traveling for work today, so did a quick 50 reps of ... IDK what they're called, a body weight exercise ... but then figured out it was going to be another snow day instead. Lots of accidents, ice, etc. so decided to work from home. Hope to get back to the gym tomorrow.

Food

Did OK. With my husband's help, even managed to cook some BBQ tempeh. I am NOT a good cook if I have to use the stove top, trying to learn. Hoping this will help my goals of eating more non-processed, whole foods. (And yes, I realize BBQ tempeh doesn't really qualify in this regard.)

Jan 18 - Day 18

Workout

45 minutes of shoveling this morning majorly cut into my time for my leg workout. Did the following:

Dip bar knee raises - 20 reps

Dip bar spread leg raises - 20 reps

Leg press machine - 200lbs, 6 reps x 2 PLUS 10 calf press

Squats - 70 pounds (35 per side) plus bar weight, 5 reps x 2

Lunges - 50 pounds (25/side) plus bar weight, 6 reps x 2

Goblet squats - 55lbs, 6 reps and 50 lbs, 6 reps

Reptile butt lifts - 10 reps

Food

Did OK. Intend to start keeping track of everything again tomorrow for awhile, as even though I'm naturally ending up with about the same number of calories each day even not when tracking, I eat better stuff when I know I'm going to have to document it!! Do have to go out for a work lunch tomorrow, but doubt I will eat at it as we're going to a very non-vegan friendly restaurant.

Jan 19 - Day 19

Workout

15 mins (6.14 miles) biking to warm up, then:

Lat pulldowns machine - 110lbs x 8, 100 x 8

Mid row machine - 90lbs x 2, 85 x 6, 80 x 8

Barbell up row - 45lbs x 8, 35 x 8

Dip bar hanging leg raise x 10

Jan 20 - Day 20

Workout

Active rest day, hanging out and playing with my boy.

Food

For both the 19th and 20th, did OK. Got in lots of fruits and veg, but also had sweets. I am only sabotaging my own success by not making more of an effort. Need to own it, not just get by.

Day 21 - Jan. 21

In general, feeling off. Eye infection is really bugging me. Totally forgot to be awesome today.

Workout

Was in a bit of a funk this morning so did some exercises to try to help my mood. Helped for awhile.

50 high knees, 5 burpees (with push-up), 50 high knees, 5 burpees, 10 sumo squat leg lifts

Then did more in the evening. BodyRock Fitness Test #2. Since I haven't been keeping up with the challenges, it was really just a chance for me to get in a workout and didn't really expect to make any progress. But I did a little bit!

squat jumps 24

pushups (knees) 23

burpees 13

high knees 168

lunges 22

jump tuck 20

abs 23

Food

So/so. Seems to be a trend -- one I intend to reverse starting tomorrow!!