Carley's Training Journal

I spent a lot of today snoozing off and on, so my caloric intake is a bit low today. I did get in some exercise, though it was definitely an easy fitness day. Something is better than nothing, though!

FOOD

12:30 -- protein smoothie

5:45 -- quinoa and sauteed asparagus

8:00 -- edamame with sea salt

9:30 -- baby carrots and celery

EXERCISE

stationary bike -- 20 minutes

core workout -- 10 minutes

stretching -- 5 minutes

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Robert!

I'd like to lose about ten pounds or so, but I'm more focused on gaining strength and building some muscle! I also want to run in the Pittsburgh Half Marathon in May... I just have to bite the bullet and register for it!

Thanks for organizing the "New Year, New You" program--I'm really excited about it!

The gym was CRAZY today, so I had to adjust my workout a bit.

FOOD

9:30 -- protein smoothie

12:15 -- quinoa and sauteed asparagus

5:45 -- wild rice and sauteed broccoli

7:00 -- baby carrots

EXERCISE

stationary bike -- 30 minutes

upper body workout -- 3 sets, 10 reps of: bicep curls, overhead triceps extension, shoulder press, chest press, rows

stretching -- 5 minutes

Hi Carley,

Keep up the great work! My gym was crazy yesterday as well! I totally forgot about all the Jan traffic since I'm already there all the time!

What are you eating pre/ post work out? Maybe add some fruit for extra energy! Fuel those workouts, girl!

Have a fab day! I'll be emailing you again later!

Today I went back to work, so I hit the gym afterward. Not my favorite thing to do, but I'll get in the groove!

FOOD

9:00 -- protein smoothie

1:30 -- edamame with sea salt

3:15 -- quinoa

4:00 -- almonds

7:00 -- sauteed broccoli and spinach with wild rice

8:45 -- baby carrots

EXERCISE

treadmill -- 30 minutes

core workout -- 5 minutes

stretching -- 5 minutes

Today I did NOT feel like exercising after work, but I convinced myself to go to a local kettle bell gym--and I'm really glad I did!

FOOD

8:30 -- protein smoothie

12:30 -- edamame with sea salt

3:00 -- quinoa

4:00 -- almonds

5:30 -- sauteed broccoli and spinach with wild rice

8:00 -- half a grapefruit

9:15 -- apple

EXERCISE

circuit one (40 seconds on, 20 seconds off; four times through) -- push ups, luggage walk (with kettle bell), inverted rows, goblet squat (with kettle bell), chop, box jumps, ball slams

circuit two (25 seconds on, 15 seconds off; three times through) -- jumping jacks (with heavy rope), row machine, mountain climbers

stretching -- 5 minutes

Today was a good day--I was actually looking forward to exercising after sitting behind a desk all day!

FOOD

2:00 -- edamame with sea salt

3:00 -- wild rice

4:15 -- almonds

7:00 -- sauteed red bell peppers and spinach with millet

8:00 -- half a grapefruit

9:15 -- baby carrots

EXERCISE

treadmill -- 30 minutes

stretching -- 5 minutes

Hi Carley.

Great work! Keep it up! I love that you're taking time for core and stretching! For runners, this is so important! When you do core work, have you incorporated back extensions or supermans to strength the lower back? For running, having a strong core helps a lot and it's good to make sure you're balanced- so the lower back and abs are equally strong. Lower back doesn't need tons of work (don't want to stress it for sure) and it's not glamours- no one gets a hot lower back- but it's good for form and function!

Have a wonderful day!

Thanks, Amanda! I went for a six-mile run today and made sure to do my favorite stretch (pigeon) when I got home! I have been doing some lower back exercises, too

FOOD

8:00 -- protein smoothie

11:30 -- mixed vegetables with millet

3:45 -- pear

7:45 -- roasted sweet potato with millet

9:15 -- baby carrots

EXERCISE

six mile run -- 54:23

stretching -- 5 minutes

Thanks, Amanda! I'm am getting excited I'm actually going to "Runner's Weekend" this weekend to meet the rest of the team and go for a team run--it should be fun!

Hi, Karen! Yes, I'm running in a team relay in February to help raise money for pediatric cancer. You can learn more about it here: http://thehopeexpress.org/ftk/.

FOOD

12:30 -- edamame

2:15 -- millet

3:30 -- almonds

5:30 -- sauteed broccoli and spinach with wild rice

9:00 -- baby carrots

EXERCISE

circuit (60 seconds on, 30 seconds off; four times through) -- wall ball burpees, sonz bends, hand-over-hand rope pull, roll outs, rope slams, TRX side planks

Today was a good day! I was productive at work, received some nice compliments and got a good workout/stretch in!

FOOD

8:30 -- oatmeal with peanut butter

1:00 -- edamame

3:15 -- millet

4:45 -- almonds

8:30 -- sauteed broccoli and spinach with wild rice and nutritional yeast

9:30 -- pear

EXERCISE

treadmill -- 30 minutes

stretch -- 10 minutes

Hi Carley,

You're doing great! How's the running going? I like that you did a 10 min stretch this time! Stretching is so important for us runners!

Oatmeal and pb- totally one of my favorite things in the world. If I had a last meal, that would probably be it!

How are you feeling? Have you been incorporating strength training in? If I can help with some ideas that will compliment your running, let me know!

Amanda

Running's going well! That 10-minute stretching session felt awesome, haha.

I feel great! I've been getting some strength in through kettle bell classes, and I might sign up for an eight-week boot camp, which uses body weight for strength. If you have tips for strength training/running, I'd love to hear them!

FOOD

1:00 -- GIANT (and delicious!) salad

3:15 -- apple

7:00 -- sauteed broccoli and spinach with wild rice

9:00 -- grapefruit

EXERCISE

boot camp -- 40 minutes

stretch -- 5 minutes

Boy, was I sore today! Boot camp kicked my butt yesterday, which made today's run a bit slower than normal (the hills probably had something to do with that, too). I'm just glad tomorrow is a REST day!

FOOD

9:00 -- protein smoothie

1:00 -- mixed vegetables and wild rice

3:30 -- almonds

7:30 -- seaweed salad; mixed vegetables with tofu and brown rice

9:45 -- baby carrots

EXERCISE

outdoor run (three miles, with hills) -- 28:21

stretch -- 5 minutes

Hi Carley! Hope you are enjoying your rest day! You're doing a great job with updating your journal and eating constantly clean food and working out. Since you are ruining and training make sure you are taking in enough calories and protein to support muscle repair. This is very important especially when you want to build muscle. In order to maintain and build muscle you need to take in enough quality plant proteins from multiple sources and supply your body with a wide range of all the amino acids. Fuel it up baby!

Hope you are doing awesome!! Keep up the great work and let me know if

You have any questions!

Xoxoxxo

Hi Amanda! My rest day was great This weekend I attended "Runners' Weekend" to meet the rest of my teammates for my team run in February, and we had a three-mile run Saturday morning to be assigned our respective legs. I finished in a little under 25 minutes--the fastest I've ever ran three miles! Though I ate more than normal, I tried to keep the quality of my food as good as possible, and I think I did a pretty good job!

Driving back home today messed with my typical eating pattern, so I've been feeling super hungry ever since I got home. I'll definitely get back into the swing of things tomorrow!

FOOD

9:00 -- banana

2:30 -- mixed veggies with millet

5:30 -- roasted cabbage

6:30 -- cupcake (My boyfriend surprised me with homemade vegan cupcakes! They're dangerously delicious! I'll probably end up eating more...)

7:00 -- baby carrots and hummus

EXERCISE

elliptical -- 35 minutes

stretch -- 10 minutes

Hi Carley,

That's a fantastic time for your run! You should be very proud of yourself! I LOVEI T!

That's also great that you ate a bit more but kept it clean! Sometimes our bodies need more- or just need a change. It's not natural for us to eat the exact same amount each day- our bodies change when we give them a change - keep the body guessing! It's the same for workouts too!

I personally have never been able to do 'cheat days'- doesn't work for me because I don't like to associate good/ bad with food. BUT I do believe in refeeding and refueling- so it's great to eat a little more from time to time to refeed your muscles!

MMM! Vegan cupcakes! What kind? That's so sweet that your hubs made them for you!

Have a wonderful week! We'll chat soon!

Amanda

I have not been feeling well for the past few days I also forgot my lunch today, so just had some granola bars from the kitchenette at work today.

FOOD

8:00 -- cereal with almond milk and banana

12:30 -- granola bar

3:00 -- granola bar

5:30 -- mixed vegetables

8:00 -- baby carrots, pretzels and hummus

EXERCISE

None. I was planning on going after work, but didn't feel up to it.

Hi Carley,

How are you doing? Looks like you're really doing great with your food journal. How are the workouts going? Are you planning to get into more strength training after your running event? If so, I'd love to give you some ideas on how to get started before the end of the month, if you're interested in that still! Talk to you soon!

Amanda