Karen's...

Create and maintain your own personal online journal. Log your meals and/or workouts, and monitor your progress. Hold yourself accountable and receive support, suggestions, and be open to feedback.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

kareno
Gorilla

Re: Karen's...

#76 Postby kareno » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:01 am

Typing this from my iPhone, so please bear with me if this doesn't look very pretty! :)

Today was a travel day for me. I flew out of state to be with my parents, as my mom had surgery yesterday (knee replacement) and will be in the hospital a few days. Anyhow, I WANTED to get up early and go to the gym and exercise on my way to the airport, but I guess I didn't want it badly enough because I didn't get out of bed early enough. Therefore, I spent the day traveling, then at the hospital with my folks. So, no exercise to speak of today. My mom has a treadmill here at the house, so I'm looking forward to doing my Couch-2-5k training tomorrow before heading back to the hospital. Yes, I'm actually looking forward to it! :)

My food wasn't exactly on target today, but I'm gonna cut myself some slack today.
Breakfast: green smoothie
Lunch: yogurt (almond) and 1/2 Vega protein bar
Snacks: banana and Clif bar
Dinner: found this funky vegan cafe near the hospital and took my dad there. Had mushroom/spinach/cashew cheese red chile enchiladas with a side of sautéed squash/zucchini. Mmmmmm!
After dinner at hospital: salad with hummus, cookie (oops), pineapple

Have a great weekend, everybody!!

robert
Site Admin

#77 Postby robert » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:29 am

Karen,

I'm loving your ambition and transparency as well! You're so easy to relate to. We can all remember times we wanted to workout and life got in the way. It happens all the time and most are too afraid to admit it, will look for something to blame and will allow it to make them slip down the slippery slope of inconsistency. But you reveal your priorities, which are excellent if you ask me (visiting family after during a hospital visit over exercise), and then express your motivation to get right back on schedule and further more, convey your enthusiasm for your eventual achievements.

Absolutely fantastic and encouraging approach to fitness and health with regard to acknowledging the actions necessary to complete your task. Awesome stuff, Karen!

I hope your mother has a speedy recovery from surgery. Enjoy your time spent with family.

For the record, your post from your iphone looks just fine on my laptop (netbook).

All the best and I look forward to hearing about your time there.

-Robert

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

VeganDougie
Rabbit

#78 Postby VeganDougie » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:14 am

Hi Karen

Told you i would be lurking about here over the weekend :)

I hope your mum is alright, all my best wishes for her. Good to see you are going to be using the treadmill - it just goes to show how you can adapt training for any situation.

Anyway all my best to you and your mum, have a great weekend diamond lady

Doug

hsorlando
Elephant

#79 Postby hsorlando » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:08 pm

Before your first 5k you really want to start running outside. I didn't believe it at first when someone told me the same thing, but the terrain is so different, because its outside and not an even straight course like on the treadmill. Once you start running outside though you won't want to go back to the treadmill. :)
Happy Running!
The devotion of thought to an honest achievement makes the achievement possible.

kareno
Gorilla

#80 Postby kareno » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:44 am

Thanks for the feedback, RC, Doug, and Hayley! Hayley, thanks for the advice and I agree. I wanted to run outside the other day, but we've been having terribly strong winds, and that didn't seem like any fun to me at all. :) Now, I'm out of town at my parents', and it's more hilly here than I would appreciate this early on in my training. :) But, yes, I will definitely get outside soon!

Today I finished C25K week 1's runs! Yay! So, this coming week's runs will change somewhat, and I'm really excited!

Spent the majority of the day at the hospital or in the car. So, food was a little weird today, but not too bad, all things considered.
Breakfast: green smoothie with Vega WFHO, blueberries, hemp seeds, and a chunk of the wooden spoon that got eaten up by the blender. Oops. Extra fiber? :D
Lunch: Gardein and veggie wrap, and quinoa vegetable soup from Whole Foods Market
Dinner: Weird hodgepodge of Clif bar, rice/bean chips and bean dip, apricot.
Snacks: Dried apples throughout the day
Hanging out all day and evening at the hospital lends itself well to snacking, unfortunately. Oh well, my mom should be heading home tomorrow.

robert
Site Admin

#81 Postby robert » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:26 am

I agree with Hayley's great advice! Enjoy those outdoor runs!

Awesome to see you have Vega with you on your trip and haha at the wooden spoon!

Hope your mom recovers well. Very nice of you to go out and visit while she's in the hospital. All the very best to you and your family.

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

kareno
Gorilla

#82 Postby kareno » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:02 am

No workout today, as there was a lot going on today with my mom returning home from the hospital, etc. Looking forward to getting back home myself and back to the gym.

Breakfast: Oatmeal with blueberries, an apricot, and a Vega WFHO shake
Lunch: Green smoothie
Dinner: Salad with lots of veggies and some kidney beans
Snacks: Rice chips with black bean dip, dehydrated apples, and frozen banana/blueberries

amandagracewing
Rabbit

#83 Postby amandagracewing » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:09 pm

Hello Miss Karen,

I wish your mom a very quick recovery! Congratulations on completing week 1 of C25K! I'm like a proud parent! So awesome! I just posted a quote (from my amazing boxing coach) in my forum. He said 'the days go slow but the weeks go fast'- that's been hitting me a lot!

Sometimes the days seem overwhelming in regard to starting or sticking with training, but then you look back and it's amazing- a whole week down! Such a great feeling! So happy for you! It's only going to get better too!

A very challenging part of a healthy lifestyle can be sticking to the program when you're traveling or away from home- it looks like you did a really great job with it - especially the eating part while you were away! And even though you felt you had some random snacking in there, you got right back to it- which is KEY!

I'm going to email you some more ideas this evening as promised!

PS- saw the black bean dip and thought I'd share my recent invention- fat free, high protein black bean dip:

-1 can unsalted eden organics black beans (not drained)
-1/3 can eden organics black soy beans (drained)
-Sea salt to taste
-4 tablespons favorite organic salsa (I used mild)
-Cumin to taste (I love cumin so I used a lot)
-A few dashes of pepper

Whipped this up in my magic bullet and stored it in an old salsa jar I saved. My hubs liked it too- which is crazy b/c he doesn't like dips or black beans!

xo Amanda

iris777888
Rabbit

#84 Postby iris777888 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:01 pm

Way to stick with your diet, Karen! And congrats on finishing week 1 of C25k!

Don't forget to be awesome.

wahminsc
Rabbit

#85 Postby wahminsc » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:28 pm

WTG, Karen!

I'm glad your mom is back home. How is she feeling?
Blessed be!
Sherrie

Getting healthier one day at a time
http://www.sherriethompson.com

kareno
Gorilla

#86 Postby kareno » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:29 am

Thanks y'all for the well-wishes for both me and my mom. She's doing great. She's really strong and quite a trooper, so her recovery is going great! As for me, spending time with my family is always quite stressful for me on multiple levels, so I'm happy to be back home and ready to get back to my emerging routine! Amanda, thanks so much for the recipe! I have a love affair with beans, so I will try this. :)

Oops, I didn't post yesterday. I was so exhausted and feeling pretty dang crummy after such a long day of work at my parents'. I totally crashed last night. But, I've gotta say, I made some pretty amazing spinach, mushroom, black bean, and squash enchiladas last night, smothered with New Mexico green chili and pepperjack Daiya. Not the healthiest thing in the world with all that Daiya on top, but mmmmm...... sooooooo good!

Daiya cheese aside, I did fairly well with food while out of town. Fortunately, my parents are at least semi-aware of healthy eating, so it's not too hard to eat vegan at their house. I did get a run in one day while I was there, but not much in the way of fitness the past couple of days. So, I made sure I made time for my scheduled C25K run today! Got up early, drove an hour to the airport, flew home, drove an hour home from the airport, changed and met a VIP old friend for dinner, squeezed in a visit to the gym, then rushed to a band concert where I saw more old friends I hadn't seen in a long time, then went out for post-concert hangout. Got home late tonight, so it's been a long day. I knew it would be a hectic day, but I was absolutely determined to get my scheduled run in today, and I made it happen! Today was the start of week 2 of the program, which meant longer runs, and it was really hard for me! At the end of each running section, I felt like I was going to throw up. I'm sure it didn't help that I went to the gym straight from dinner, but I didn't have a choice today. Anyhow, I'm hoping Thursday's run will feel a bit easier.

Breakfast: green smoothie with Vega WFHO and hemp seeds
Lunch: cereal bar, yogurt (soy)
Dinner: vegetable sushi roll, edamame, and glass of wine
Snacks: Primal Strip, 1/2 pretzel

robert
Site Admin

#87 Postby robert » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:41 am

Great work Karen!

Awesome to know we were both traveling and both at the gym at the same time.

Way to stick with your consistency! Glad you had a fun time with friends tonight and managed to get your training in too.

Catch up soon. Have a great one!

wahminsc
Rabbit

#88 Postby wahminsc » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:32 pm

Those enchiladas sound fantastic! WTG on keeping motivated!
Blessed be!
Sherrie

Getting healthier one day at a time
http://www.sherriethompson.com

kareno
Gorilla

#89 Postby kareno » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:35 am

Had a really rough day, with no fitness to report today. Have a workout planned with a friend for tomorrow, which should be fun.

Breakfast: Vega WFHO shake
Lunch: Spinach wrap w/ apple and dried cranberry
Dinner: Green smoothie
Snacks: Had some junk sugary snacks today, but still managed to be okay, in terms of calories at least.

Grateful for my precious dog lying beside me as I type this.

lola23
Rabbit

#90 Postby lola23 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:39 am

awww furry friends make everything better.
i hope things turn around for you.

Return to “Online Training Journals & Blogs”