Karen's...

Create and maintain your own personal online journal. Log your meals and/or workouts, and monitor your progress. Hold yourself accountable and receive support, suggestions, and be open to feedback.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

robert
Site Admin

Re: Karen's...

#91 Postby robert » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:44 am

I'm sorry you had a rough day, Karen.

Get in touch anytime if you want to talk about it. Get some good rest and have a much better day tomorrow.

Hugs. :goodman:

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

VeganDougie
Rabbit

Karen's...

#92 Postby VeganDougie » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:18 am

Sorry to hear you a rough day. Anything I can do cheer you up? I know a joke:

Two cows in a field,
One says: does this mad cows disease concern you?
The other replies: no, I'm alright because I'm a duck!

Have a good workout

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.371121,-0.776181

amandagracewing
Rabbit

#93 Postby amandagracewing » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi Karen,

I love that you have a grateful attitude despite everything that might be going on with you. Congratulations on also sticking to clean eating even though you didn't do a workout. Abs are made in the kitchen- so sticking to healthy eating is so important and even with a missed workout, you'll still see results!

Can't wait to hear how your workout with your friend goes today! Change things up and have fun with it! Making fitness something you look forward to is key- and it has to be enjoyable!

Have a beautiful day! xo
Amanda

kareno
Gorilla

#94 Postby kareno » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:13 pm

Today was another hard day, but did feel better after spending some time at the gym.

Did my scheduled C25K run. It was still quite challenging, but definitely easier than 2 days ago. It's hard to imagine that I'll be able to handle runs twice as long in less than a week. Hmm... Then my friend showed me around some of the cable weight machines. Oh wait, first I did a few minutes on the rowing machine. I didn't do it long enough to count for anything, but it was fun nonetheless, and I'm looking forward to doing more of it. Then we did shoulder press, seated lat pull-down, seated chess press, seated 2-arm row, bicep curls. Then...... steam room. Ahhhh. My friend ended up joining the gym (she went as my guest today), so it'll be nice to meet up with her at the gym once in a while.

Breakfast: oatmeal with chia seeds and berries
Lunch: large green smoothie
Dinner: Spinach Channa with rice and naan
Snacks: Shitake Primal Strip, carrot w/ hummus, Vega Pre-workout Energizer

robert
Site Admin

#95 Postby robert » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:27 am

Hang in there, Karen!

I know life tosses us some challenging situations sometimes and we're stronger because of it. You'll rise above it and be back to your wonderful cheerful, excited self soon. Great work on the continued fitness and the efforts you're putting forth.

Awesome to hear that your friend joined the gym too! That is how I got into bodybuilding in the first place. My friend got me into it, and we're still best friends today, a dozen years later.

Have a wonderful weekend. Spend some good time doing things you enjoy most.

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

VeganDougie
Rabbit

#96 Postby VeganDougie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi Karen,

Is there anything i can do to help cheer you up, i have got lots of jokes just as bad as the last one i posted :) er maybe not.

Keep going it's good to see that despite how bad you are feeling you still manage to be consistent with your training. It's also good to see you have a friend join too.

The steam room sounds like the dogs bollocks (i know that sounds rude but when you say something is the 'dogs bollocks' it means it is really good or awesome).

Have a great weekend

amandagracewing
Rabbit

#97 Postby amandagracewing » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:33 pm

Karen, I'm so proud of you! You are doing great sticking to it and pushing through! You are an inspiration- really. Celebrate yourself for the strides you are making especially with the C25K. It's pretty cliche I guess, but I was thinking about the saying 'every journey begins with a single step' yesterday as I was starting my long run. I had 9 miles to get in and I was totally not feeling it! I was procrastinating and didn't want to start... but I just said ok... a single step and then another and soon I'll be done. You're taking a single step or steps each day and it's all part of a journey to being as healthy and fit as you can be for life! It doesn't matter how big the step is today or tomorrow, just keep taking them! It all counts and adds up to getting you further on your journey! You're doing awesome lady! xoxoxoxoxox I'm sending you a hug from NY!

jmichael614
Rabbit

#98 Postby jmichael614 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:46 pm

Wow Karen, after reading your posts, I need to go back to my green smoothies- they always wake me up with energy.
Thanks for the reminder!
No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.
1 Cor. 9:27

vegontherun.com (vegetarian blog)

LMNgetfit
Rabbit

#99 Postby LMNgetfit » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:02 pm

Hello Karen- thought I'd check out your journal! I wanted to know what you've been up to and say thanks for your support! It sounds like you've been busy helping your parents out post surgery- spending time with family can definitely be stressful!
You said you have a dog? What kind? We have 2 fur-persons..... I love them dearly and often think of them as my other kids!! (ones a 14 year old schnauzer & a then a 5 year old schnoodle-best buds now!)....studies show that simply petting a dog can lower ones blood pressure & promote relaxation.... See why I have 2?!?!!
Kudos to you for tackling the C2-5K program- hang in there!!! A dear friend of mine used it to run her first 5K-she really enjoyed to structure!! Do you enjoy your playlist....... Good music makes all the difference!
Have a good weekend & do find time to relax!
Lisa

kareno
Gorilla

#100 Postby kareno » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:00 am

Wow! I'm just so overwhelmed by all the comments I get posted to my journal here. Thank you all SO much!! It means so much to me, and it encourages and motivates me very much!

@LMNgetfit (Lisa): I have the most cutest, most sweetest, most adorable little Chihuahua-Dachshund mix ("Chiweenie") named Benny (although, he has a whole host of nicknames!), who is also deaf and had been abandoned at least twice before we found one another and he stole my heart. :D Yes, I'm enjoying the C25K program, and agree that having just the right music playing is key! Thanks for your kindness in stopping by my journal. :)

@jmichael614 (Jessica): I just started making green smoothies this month, and now I wake up every morning craving one! :)

@lola23: Aww, thanks so much. Things are getting better, and exercise is definitely helping.

@Amanda, Doug, and RC: Thank you all sooooooooo much for your continued support, encouragement, and positivity (and funny jokes!)! You have no idea how much it helps! Well, maybe you do have an idea, but still... :) Thank you so much. You guys are the greatest!

Moving on to today...

I had a hard time getting motivated today, but finally got my butt to the gym this afternoon. Was going to do the elliptical machine, but all the ones I like were already being used. So, I just decided to get on a treadmill instead. I walked 4 miles at incline level 2.0 for a total of an hour, which is a pretty quick pace for my short legs! ;) Definitely worked up a sweat!

Breakfast (late): large green smoothie with Vega WFHO, flax seed, spinach, kale, berries, cherries, banana, almond milk. YUM!
Dinner: Enchilada with black beans, spinach, zucchini/squash, onion, baby bella mushrooms, and pepperjack Daiya (which I know isn't exactly a health food...). AMAZING! A side salad and glass of red wine. Oh, and avocado.
Dessert: Piece of chocolate bar
Pre-workout: Vega energizer
Post-workout: banana

Have a terrific weekend, friends!

wahminsc
Rabbit

#101 Postby wahminsc » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:21 pm

Hi Karen. Your support has been awesome and you inspire me. Hugs to you, your mom, and to Benny. Some days it seems my dogs are the only ones who get me.

Keep doing what you do.
Blessed be!
Sherrie

Getting healthier one day at a time
http://www.sherriethompson.com

kareno
Gorilla

#102 Postby kareno » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:02 am

Awww, thanks so very much, Sherrie! Yeah, critters are the best! :)

Today I did the final week 2 run for C25k program. I think next week's gonna be pretty hard, but I'm already looking forward to putting that first new, longer run behind me on Tuesday! Today's run (#3 of this week's) definitely felt easier than the previous two, and I was able to do both the walks and the runs at a slightly faster speed. But, the incline on the treadmill I used was broken, which meant 0 incline, versus the usual 1.0, so a little bit different. Then I did the steam room, which I think is good for my skin (it's incredibly dry here). Lastly, I scheduled a free session with a trainer at the gym for Monday. Yay!

Breakfast: oatmeal with blueberries and chia seed, and a Vega WFHO shake
Lunch: leftover enchilada from last night's dinner, and side salad
Dinner: Primal Strip and a banana (I was running out the door to the movie theater.)
Snacks: cucumber and hummus, and soy yogurt
Pre-exercise: Vega Energizer
Post-exercise: apple

I finally saw "The Artist" tonight! Wonderful film!!!! (And the dog in the movie is so precious!) If you get a chance to see it, definitely do! :D

robert
Site Admin

#103 Postby robert » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:20 am

Great work, Karen!

Keep up the awesome efforts and consistency! Inspiring and motivating.

Have an outstanding weekend!

amandagracewing
Rabbit

#104 Postby amandagracewing » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:08 am

Hi Karen,

Way to go on completing another week of C25K! SO PROUD OF YOU! You're doing so awesome! That's great that you're meeting with a trainer too! It's amazing how once we become fitter, we feel more comfortable trying new things and want to do more and more! I can already see it happening for you!

Love your eating! That's so much of the journey and you're doing really well with that! How are you feeling? Plenty of energy for your running?!

Can't wait to hear from you soon!

xo AGW

kareno
Gorilla

#105 Postby kareno » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:55 pm

Thanks so much, Amanda! Yeah, I've been pretty anal about keeping track of my food in my iPhone app. So anal that it makes it mentally challenging for me to eat out. :( Anyhow, looking forward to meeting with the trainer tomorrow. It's just one session, and I already spoke with him for a while yesterday, so he has a general sense of what I'm wanting. First thing on our agenda tomorrow is the rowing machine, which I'm excited about. :)

Today's exercise:
Elliptical (Strider): 65 minutes total: 10 minutes at each of the following resistance levels 4, 8, 12, 16, then 20 minutes back at level 12, followed by 5 minutes at level 10. I pushed myself really hard today and think I went considerably faster today at the higher levels than previously.
Treadmill: 20 minutes total: I hopped straight on a treadmill, incline levels 1.0/2.0. I know I'm not supposed to run on the C25K "off" days, but I was so pumped after the Elliptical, I couldn't help it! I did a brisk walk at 4.0 for the majority of the 20 minutes, but I actually sandwiched 2 runs in the middle, which felt amazing, since they were both longer than the runs I've been doing so far!

Breakfast: Oatmeal with chia seeds, blueberries, and a splash of almond milk.
Lunch & Dinner: Well.... I was at a little get-together all afternoon, so it was a weird combo of food. Some sort of raw ball thing, a piece of gluten-free vegan chocolate cake, small glass of champagne, rice snap vegetable crackers and Sheese garlic and herb spread, and some garbanzo beans. It wasn't the best nutritionally, but I did manage to stay at my calorie limit, using my best guesses on the sweet thingies.
Pre-Workout: Vega Energizer
Post-Workout: Vega bar

Oh, I also started taking apple cider vinegar today, 3 times. I heard it's good for a million things, including skin, weight, energy, etc. Do any of you have any insights into this? I got Bragg brand, as it's unfiltered/unpasteurized.

I've been getting plenty of sleep lately, but still so tired all the time. Hoping to get better sleep tonight, as I had some pretty violent nightmares last night.

Hope everyone has a great week ahead! :D

Return to “Online Training Journals & Blogs”