Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Karen's...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:20 am 
Rabbit

Hi Karen,
Love reading your posts. I struggle just as much with training so it's good to see your journal as it helps keep me positive.

I just watched FOK and got to thinking about the engine2 plan is it a good one to follow?

http://www.my-healthy-lifestyle-choices.com

Post subject: Re: Karen's...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:06 pm 
Rabbit

>I felt a bit better mentally/emotionally afterwards, but looking foward to the start of another new day tomorrow.
Yayy..hopefully today is even better for you!

>Thanks again, everyone. I'm so appreciative of the support and kind words..
what goes around.. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:57 am 
Gorilla

Aww... Thanks, guys! I'm really feeling inspired by all of you. Thanks for checking up on me! :)

Went to the gym today and got back into my cardio routine.

Stairclimber - 20 minutes (5 min. @ 40/45 steps/min, then 15 min. @ 60 steps/min)
Eliptical - 60 minutes (started at resistance level 4 and increased it by 4 every 5 minutes until reaching 16, then backed down by 4 every 5 minutes until level 8, where I stayed until the end.

Not sure if it's yesterday's exercise or today's, but my body is fairly sore! Mentally, though, that feels good. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:03 am 
Site Admin

You rock, Karen!

You're doing such an awesome job!

I agree that we have a great, supportive community here! Well done. You had another excellent exercise session today.

Hope you have a wonderful rest of your weekend!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:13 pm 
Rabbit

Hi Karen,

Lovely cardio session! You're pushing through mentally which is often harder than pushing through physical pain! If you can train the mind, the body can be trained to do just about anything! When I don't want to work out, I just say, ok I'm going to at least get in the car and drive there. Once I'm there- ok just 15 mins- that turns into 30 which turns quickly into an hour. You feel even better knowing you pushed yourself you be mentally strong and physically strong! You're getting both on and I love it!

Can't wait to chat on the phone in a bit! xo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:15 am 
Gorilla

For today's workout, I did the following machines:
warmup: 10 minute walk on treadmill, with last minute jog (jogging is kind of a big freakin' deal for me...yes, even 1 minute!) :D
Incline press 2x10 @ 40 lbs.
Pec Fly 2x10 @ 40 lbs.
Tricep Extension 2x10 @ 40 lbs.
Preacher Curl 2x10 @ 40 lbs.
Leg Extensions 2x10 @ 80 lbs.
Prone Leg Curl 2x10 @ 60 lbs.
Abdominal Crunch Machine 2x10 @ 60 lbs.
Lower Back Machine 1x10 @ 60 lbs., 1x10 @ 70 lbs.
11 minutes on treadmill, 3.0/6.0 @ 1 min. intervals

I realize everything I listed above may seem really lame to most people here, but I really have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to strength training, so I just decided to start somewhere. It's weird, but I've almost been craving it lately. When I've been on the treadmill or eliptical, especially, I see people across the room doing weights, and it's like my arms are whispering to me, "we want some of that!" Hahaha! But, I'm not really sure where to begin. Anyhow, those are the 8 machines in the workout room I was in, so that's where I started, and now I can go from there. :) As Amanda, my coach, and I talked about today, just incorporating some type of exercise into my life almost everyday is a major feat for me, especially 2 weeks into it! So, I'm proud of myself for doing something most days, and I'll continue learning and hopefully becoming more effective as I learn. I'm also going to stay off the scale for the next 2 weeks and just weigh myself on the 31st, since the scale is frustrating me. :)

That's it for today! Tune in tomorrow!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:23 am 
Site Admin

I'm very proud of you, Karen. You're really doing a wonderful job. Not just in comparison to your previous non-athletic background, but you're doing a wonderful job in general, training more than people who claim to be athletes. You're probably one of the most consistent people on the whole forum and that is something to be very proud of.

Keep up the great work! I love your positive outlook as well. Amanda's great too, and I'm so glad the two of you are working together!

All the best. Have a wonderful week!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:46 pm 
Rabbit

Hi Karen,

I had a wonderful time chatting with you last night! You're doing so great and your mental determination is just awesome! I was listening to a talk today on nutrition and the speaker was saying how our bodies need to be given time to respond to new, good things we do for them. We're so programed for instant gratification, but we need to give our bodies at least 28 days to adapt, respond and change- to see clear results and if what we're doing is working. So- all that to say, don't let the scale frustrate you! Give it time and you'll see your hard work paying off- I promise!

I'll be in touch over the next few days with some ideas about how to structure a beginning strength routine! BUT what you did was great- you are finding your way and trying things out! That's awesome... as I always say, it's perfection is not the goal! The goal is always striving to be the healthiest you that YOU can be!

xoxox Amanda

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:22 pm 
Elephant

I just have to say that for me weight training and the gym are so much fun because I can do it, and do it well. I remember when I first started back when I was 18 I thought finally something I can do! Growing up with two brothers I was never good at any sports, but when it came to lifting weights I could be really good. My second trainer was a stickler for form, and I caught all that in the beginning of my career as a gym rat. Anyway the point I'm trying to make is that you feel good and you crave it because you've finally found something active that you like to do. Way to go! I started out with baby weights too, but with confidence in your form and the movements you will go up higher in weights, and reps with time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:36 pm 
Gorilla

Awww, thanks for that encouragement, Hayley! I really appreciate it! Yeah, I've just never in my whole life been an active person and not good at anything even remotely athletic. So, just making the mental shift to incorporate exercise into my schedule is pretty huge. :) But, it's really easy to feel intimidated (and embarassed) at the gym or to exercise around friends because this is all so new to me and I'm not good at it! Hopefully, that will change though. Thanks again for the kind words, and GREAT JOB to you!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:02 pm 
Rabbit

Well done on the 1 minute jogging!!! Everyone has to start somewhere. Before you know it, you'll be at 2 mins, then 3, and eventually you'll be up to a mile! I totally agree with what you say about the weights calling out to you. MUCH prefer to do that than boring old cardio! :tongue:

Don't forget to be awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:34 pm 
Gorilla

I'll start today's post by saying that I did not get any fitness in today. My day did not go as planned. It was my intention to meet a friend for lunch, then go to the gym afterwards. But, lunch turned into a late lunch, followed by long conversation, followed by going to several shops to find this thing she was looking for. By that time, it had started snowing, and it was windy and cold. Since the gym is quite a distance from where I was, and even further from where I live, I decided it was best to get home before the roads got too bad and darkness fell. I was incredibly tired, took a nap, woke up with a headache and no energy whatsoever. All those excuses in order to say.... no fitness today. I know that will give me more motivation for tomorrow, though.

I did, however, download a Couch-to-5K app for iPhone today, which I'm looking forward to trying out. Perhaps I should sign up now for the St. Patty's Day run! :D Aww, and this St. Patty's Day would be my Grandma's 100th birthday! I could do it in her honor! I'll have to give this idea some more thought. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:56 pm 
Rabbit

>I realize everything I listed above may seem really lame to most people here
ooooo can I join the really lame club with you?
I haven't been writing down my weights, but I'm pretty sure I'm around the same numbers (e.g. I'm 95% sure I've been bench pressing 40lbs and i'm 110% sure my triceps aren't doing 40lbs!)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:39 am 
Site Admin

Karen,

Those things happen. It's best to be safe when weather conditions get back, so it's good that you went home.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling 100% at the moment. Hope you get some nice fruit, water and sleep to help you feel better when you wake up tomorrow.

I think that run sounds like a great idea! When we meet up to ship out all these prize packages, we can go on morning runs each day!

All the very best. The run sounds great, your enthusiasm for fitness for tomorrow is excellent and as always, I appreciate all your generous work!

It is an absolutely pleasure to work with you and I'm grateful to have your support!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:29 pm 
Rabbit

Hi Karen,

As Robert mentioned it is better to be safe than risk the bad weather. It can get pretty bad here in the winter too and have almost had an accident a few times trying to drive in heavy snow.

Sorry to hear you are feeling a bit 'tom dick' (promised you a new one :), rhyming slang for 'sick') but hopefully you will get that run in. Look forward to your next post

Doug

http://www.my-healthy-lifestyle-choices.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next