Matts Workout Journal

Hi, my name is Matthew, I am 30 years old and currently living in Vancouver. I have been a Vegan only since the start of the year so this is a huge change to my lifestyle.

How it happened: my girlfriend has been a vegetarian as long as I have known her and she had talked about becoming a vegan on several occasions, to me it was not an option - how could I give up meat?

I told her she would not have enough protein, she would lack several nutrients and so forth, yes I am the typical person who knows nothing about being a vegan apart from what I have overheard, lol. So I started to do some research, what is a vegan?

I watched forks over knives and several other programs and it really opened my eyes.

Then I thought do I even enjoy meat? The truth was most of the time no.

So why am I destroying a life for something I don't even want, this may shock some and thinking back I do feel guilty about all the animal products I ate but at least I have made the change now.

So from trying the vegan lifestyle to support my girlfriend has turned into a lifestyle change, maybe it's to early to see a change but I have noticed I am sleeping better and my energy levels are up.

I'd like to thank my gilfrIend for introducing me to the vegan life and everyone at Vegan Bodybuilding for providing this forum full of motivation and support.

First day back at the gym for over a week, had a nice rest but felt good to be back working out.

Chest & Biceps

Decline Press 12 x 25lbs, 12 x 40lbs, 9 x 55lbs

Incline DB Press 12 x 30lbs, 10 x 50lbs

DB Flyes 12 x 15lbs, 11 x 22.5lbs

1 Arm Preacher Curl 10 x 25lbs, 7 x 35lbs

Straight Bar Curl 15 x 40lbs

Crunches 14reps, 10, 8

Short but intense workout, feeling great.

Edited by mattpb

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Goals for 2012

Weekly Goals:

Eat 6 Clean Nutritious meals everyday

Drink at least 3.5 litres of water a day

Log every workout and meal online and in my journal

Monthly Goals:

Increase Strength -

Deadline 1st Feb 2012 - I will be able to complete 6 reps of:

H/S Inc Chest Press 150lbs,

Close Grip lat Pulldown 170lbs,

H/S Shoulder Press 130lbs.

45 Leg Press 200lbs

If i complete all of my monthly goals i will reward myself with a new supplement. I have had some good results from using creatine in the past and want to start using it again, so got to work hard.

1 Year Goal:

I will feel healthier,

Improve my physique by giving it some shape through working out,

Improve my posture/core through stretching and attending Pilates/Yoga

Compete on stage as a Bodybuilder

Enjoy my new healthy lifestyle as a Vegan

Edited by mattpb

Monday Meal Plan

Breakfast:

Smoothie - 1 Cup of Oats, 6oz Tofu, 1/2 Cup Mango and 1Tbsp Agave

Post-Workout:

Vega Sport Shake and a banana

Lunch:

250g Sweet potato, 112g Tempeh, 100g mixed veg and 1/4 avocado

Snack:

1/2 cup of oats, banana, and pumpkin protein

Dinner:

6oz Tofu, 100g black beans and 200g of mixed veg (mixed together and made into a curry)

Snack:

Pumpkin protein, 3 Rice cakes and 2Tbsp nut butter

Consumed 4 litres of water today.

Total calories: 2232

Carbs: 240g

Protein: 172g

Fat: 29.6g

To make life easier for me i will be eating the same foods everyday, maybe change the fruit.

After about 4 weeks of sticking to my plan i will be able to analyse my total calorie intake and adjust if its too high/low, or adjust protein/carbs/ fat if needed.

Day 2

I think the festive season of over eating and indulging in treats I should have stayed away from are starting to show. I turned up at the gym feeling sluggish and a bit chubby, so instead of getting down about it, i gave myself a good kick the ass and vowed not to let myself slip out of shape again.

10 min warm up on X Trainer

Workout: Back

DB Pullover 10 x 35lbs, 10 x 45lbs, 7 x 65lbs

Close Grip Lat Pulldown 10 x 50lbs, 5 x 80lbs

1 Arm DB Row 10 x 30lbs, 7 x 55lbs

Wide Cable Row 10 x 40lbs, 9 x 100lbs - maybe stay at this weight as not getting full range of motion

Fixed BB Deadlift 12 x 40lbs, 12 x 80lbs - increase weight next week, started off low to make sure I had good form

Reverse Crunches 3 x 10 - new exercise for me, felt good but need to push more out next time

Felt great after workout, really feel my lats whilst stretching and can still feel my chest from yesterday.

Felt a bit down looking in the mirror this morning, but I can only look forward now and I know I am doing all I can to change my body and that makes me feel great.

Not sure what happened with close grip lat pulldown but I recently changed gyms and I was lifting 150lbs but in the new gym I can only manage 80, could the new gym machine be in Kilo's? I hope so otherwise I lost alot of strength.

Will figure it out next time I'm in the gym.

Day 3 Cardio

Its been a long time since i have been running so i started off easy.

20 Minutes High Intensity Interval Training on Treadmill

Consists of four loops, i start off at 3Mph warm up for 2 mins and then increase by 1Mph every minute upto 7Mph then start again. Then on the last cycle i go up to 8Mph which should be giving your all for 1 min.

I found this ok today so i will increase speed maybe start at 3.2Mph and i'll use an incline of 0.5 to resemble running outside.

Finished off with plenty of stretches on my legs and a few core exercises as my core needs strenghthening.

Feeling great about my workout and full of energy with my new meal plan. Cant wait to attack shoulders in my next workout.

Day 4

Delts &Traps

Hammer Strength Shoulder Press 10 x 50lbs, 10 x 90lbs, 6 x 140lbs

Side Lateral Raise DB 10 x 10lbs, 6 x 17.5lbs

Low Pulley Raise 8 x 10

Rev Flyes Machine 12 x 40lbs, 13 x 55lbs - go higher next time, new machine so had to guess, still went to failure which is great

Tricep Pushdown 10 x 30, 9 x 50

Lying Tricep Extension 10 x 30lbs, 5 x 50lbs

Seated overhead Tricep Press 10 x 30lbs, 5 x 50lbs

Plank 3 Sets 45 sec, 35 sec, 30 sec

Not done plank in a long time and my whole body was shaking. Need to be able to hold it longer which will come in time, great exercise for strengthening the core.

Feeling great today, really happy with my food and workout plan. Performing a short high intensity workout seems to really suit me, I think it's partially a mental thing as in my mind I put more effort in because it's only a short workout, if I am in the gym longer than 45 min/1 hour I tend to lose focus.

Looking forward to losing a bit of fat off my belly, will be posting photos this weekend of my start and end of week one along with measurements. I will be updating a new photo at the end of each week next to my start photo that will show my progress.

Day 5 Legs

10 Mins X Trainer/Eliptical - even though i have not put it in previous posts i always start with a light warm up before starting a weights workout. Due to a physical job i tend to be fairly warmed up anyway but these 10 mins gives me time to mentally focus on the workout ahead.

Leg Extension 10 x 55lbs, 10 x 85lbs, 10 x 115lbs - need to increase next week

45degree Leg Press 10 x 90lbs, 10 x 140lbs, 10 x 180lbs - felt great and could increase this too

Leg Press 4 x 205lbs - should have done 1 set of squats here but rack was unavailable

Stiff Leg Dead Lift (fixed bar) 10 x 40lbs, 15 x 80lbs - increase next time

Calf Press 12 x 100lbs, (14 x 205lbs, 11 x 205lbs, 8 205lbs) - (rest/pause)

Seated Calf Raise 9 x 90lbs, 6 x 140lbs - will definately stay at this weight until i can get at least 8 reps

Rest/pause - i do a set then rest for 10 -15 secs then another set for total of 3 sets, i find this a good way of helping to push the muscle more especially on exercises when you dont have a spotter or a gym partner to assist.

Felt great today working legs, it has been a bit of guess work with the weights because i have not been to the gym for a few weeks and it is a new gym so getting used to different machines. As of next week i'll know exactly which weight to use.

Only 1 more cardio session tomorrow the rest on sunday but will keep eating clean which is so important.

I hope everyone else is doing well with their workouts and meal plans.

Will post photos this weekend, definately got a long way to go but if i post my photo on here the way i look now will help motivate me to get back in shape.

Day 6 Cardio

20 Mins High Intensity Interval Training - Treadmill

0.5 % Incline

Minute - Mph

1 - 3.2

2 - 3.2

3 - 4.2

4 - 5.2

5 - 6.2

6 - 7.2

7 - 4.2

8 - 5.2

9 - 6.2

10 - 7.2

11 - 4.2

12 - 5.2

13 - 6.2

14 - 7.2

15 - 4.2

16 - 5.2

17 - 6.2

18 - 7.2

19 - 8.2

20 - 3.2

Great run today, made a big difference using an incline but still think i could go faster. Plan for next time is to keep o.5% incline and start at 3.4Mph and increase every minute like above.

Finished off with some stretches as legs were still sore from Fridays Leg workout.

Day 7

Rest day today, still eating clean but resting my body and preparing my food for the week ahead. Cant wait to hit the gym in the morning.

Start weight - 174lbs

End of Week 1 - 169.4lbs - Dropped nearly 5lbs after first week which will probably just be water retention but still makes me feel good.

Added the start photo and end of week 1 photo, not much change in the photos but i feel so much better already and will keep going until i achieve my goals.

Consistency is the key!!

Review of the week

Need to make sure i am drinking enough water, sometimes i get so busy at work i forget to drink as much as i should.

Need to take measurements and then compare them the following week, forgot to do this at the start.

Pre Workout meal is protein shake, oats and banana - finding this a bit awkward to eat as i eat on the way to the gym after leaving work, so today will try and blend the ingredients and add some dates to try make my own protein bar - will post photos if they turn out well.

Now i have found the weights and rep range i will be using, now is the time to focus and really give it my all starting monday!

All in all i am happy with my progress and surprisingly not had any cravings for any junk food, i know i have only been a vegan since the start of the year but i seem to be eating a wider variety of food which keeps it interesting. Yesterday i did feel like i wanted to eat more food but think this could be slight dehydration - will keep an eye on this.

Consider having an extra calorie day - maybe 1 every 4 days.

Feeling great and happy.

2002509384_Start-Week1.JPG.8ceaaf3f46bdb04a4d02cc88ba1d3377.JPG

Left - Start, Right - End of Week 1

I decided today to try and make a protein bar out of the food i normally eat pre workout.

Usually i eat a Banana, Pumpkin protein powder and 1/2 cup of oats.

I swapped the banana for dates to help bind the bar together, i thought 5 would be enough and would be similar in nutritional value to a banana. Unfortunately it did not bind that well so i added a few more, 1 teaspoon of natural peanut butter and a touch of orange juice.

Per Bar

Calories - 452

Fat - 11.3

Carbs - 65.4

Protein - 28.1

Due to adding more dates and peanut butter my calories soon shot up, but i'll give them a go and see how i feel, maybe i can play around with the mix if its to heavy.

My daily intake now is:

Calories - 2481

Fat - 62.9

Carbs - 289.1

Protein - 170.7

I am aiming to gain strength and size so the extra calories will probably do me good.

313011907_ProteinBars.JPG.43fcbcf413c6561949725db5ca83b633.JPG

Edited by mattpb

Blenders

After reading all the positive reviews on Vitamix blenders I thought I need one, I could make my smoothies, soups and anything else I wanted. When I got to the store I watched the demonstration and was sold, well that was up until the point that they told me the price!!

I did check the Vitamix website and saw they do sometimes have reconditioned units that come with a 7 year guarantee, but to me on my budget it was still too much.

I looked around and I found what looked like a fairly good blender at a reasonable price, but then I remember the valuable lesson I learnt as a kid which was “if you buy cheap, you by twice”.

Well I like the gamble and I bought the Ninja Professional Blender for $99, it has a 1000W motor which is great, 3 separate blades in a way I have never seen before in a blender and its dish washer safe (but I have found that as soon as you have finished using the blender fill it ¾ full with warm water and blitz it for a few seconds and that cleans it really good)

It has no problem crushing ice, soup come out really smooth and I love watching it rip through anything you put in it.

I know there is another Ninja for $199.99 which comes with attachments to make dough etc, but this is something that I don’t need.

So if anyone is looking for a decent blender at a reasonable price this one is worth checking out, I have attached a link below so you can check it out.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/8/KitchenBath/2/Appliances/Blenders/PRD~0432189P/Ninja+Professional+Blender.jsp?locale=en

Day 8

Just finished my Chest & Bicep workout and I feel amazing, really good workout where I beat all my set goals for the day. Before each workout I look at the previous week and aim to get at least one more rep or increase the weight, this way I know I am always improving.

All reps were performed with great technique the only problem was by the end of the workout my face was bright red like a beetroot, this is normally caused by pushing myself in the gym or eating my pre workout meal without leaving enough time before I workout.

Today I think it was a bit of both so tomorrow I plan to eat at least half an hour before workout.

Tried my homemade protein bar today which was my pre workout meal and it was really good and alot cheaper than the ones in the shop.

Will post my workout and nutrition as soon as I get home.

Feeling great, but think I am ready for a nap but best get ready for work.

Day 8: Back

10 Min warm up on Elliptical Trainer

DB Pullover:

12 x 35lbs, 10 x 50lbs, 10 x 65lbs

Increase next week up to 70lbs

Close Grip Pulldown:

12 x 85lbs, 8 x 140lbs

This was tough, will stay at this weight and try and improve on reps

DB Row:

12 x 30lbs, 9 x 55lbs

Great – go up to 60lbs

Wide Cable Row:

12 x 55lbs, 9 x 100lbs

Stay at this weight until I hit 10 reps

Barbell Deadlift Fixed Bar:

12 x 50lbs, 12 x 90lbs

Felt really good, will move up to using an Olympic bar instead of fixed weight bars

Obliques/Side Crunches:

12, 10, 8 each side

Stretches:

Chest stretches as my chest was so sore and tight from yesterdays workout, plus a few pilates/yoga moves to stretch out my body.

Start: 3.15pm

Finish: 4.10pm

Time: 55 mins

Awesome workout feel great!!!

Nutrition

Breakfast: 8AM

Homemade Protein Smoothie

Lunch: 11AM

Tofu, mixed beans and veg

Pre Workout: 2PM

Homemade Protein Bar

Post Workout: 3.45PM

Protein Shake and Banana

Dinner: 6PM

Sweet potato, Tempeh, avocado and salad

Snack: 9PM

Protein Shake, Rice Cakes and Peanut Butter

Calories: 2326

Fat: 58.9

Protein: 169

Carbs: 283

4 Litres of Water

Day 9: Cardio

So far so good this week, all my workouts going as planned and i feel stronger than ever, all my lifts seem to beat the previous week which spurs me on to keep going. Cant get enough of the gym at the moment, think its partly to do with keeping my workouts short it keeps the hunger there to keep me going back. I find if i spend to long in the gym, anything over an hour i lose focus and feel tired the next day.

Easy start for the day for me just relaxing, going to head to the gym soon for my cardio session and a good bit of stretching as i am feeling quite sore from my two workouts this week, then off to work.

Nutrition so far today

Will have my homemade pre workout bar soon, which i cant get enough of. So much cheaper than buying ones from the shop and they taste great too.

Notes:

Switched my protein powder from Vega to Vegans Protein+ by Genine Health (partly because it was on offer at my local store), loving the taste of it and it was nearly half the price of the Vega.

I would definately give it a try if your looking for a protein powder.

Cardio

Treadmill

20 Min High Intensity Interval Training

Consists of 4 cycles, increasing speed every minute then start again and on last loop go all out as fast as you can for 1 minute.

Start at Mph: 3.4

Fastest Mph: 8.4

0.5% Incline

Distance 1.86 Miles

This was my toughest run so far, i really felt it tough on my breathing. It was i great challenge but i did it and i was so happy, i think i will push myself and try to start at 3.5 and the fastest level of 8.5.

I spent 20 mins stretching after my run

Homemade Protein Bar

Protein Shake and Banana

Protein Shake, 3 Rice Cakes and Peanut Butter

4 Litres of Water

Feel a bit down today, not sure if my calories are enough for my workouts and work but i am going to keep it the same for a few more weeks and see if i feel like this again.

Due to the fact that i have started getting a bit more hungry i have decided to do a higher calorie day, so every fourth day i will up it by nearly 500 calories. I tried to do a plan qickly last night before bed and i only managed to increase it by nearly 300 calories but as long as i know how mch i am eating.

Will give this a go and see what happens.

Extra Calorie Day

Homemade Protein Smoothie with extra oats & O.J.

Tofu, mixed beans, veg and banana

Homemade Protein Bar

Protein Shake and Banana

Extra Sweet potato, Tempeh, avocado and salad

Protein Shake, 4 Rice Cakes and Peanut Butter

Calories: 2592

Fat: 60.7

Protein: 175.2

Carbs: 337

Just checked back over my monthly goals and it looks like i already reached two of them, i know one was the Leg Press. Maybe for next month i should aim a bit higher, i think i did well to reach most of them and be on track to reach the others by the end of the month but for February i want to aim high to push myself to achieve even greater results.

Feel so much better today then yesterday and i think its down to a good nights sleep.

Delts & Traps

Hammer Strength Shoulder Press:

12 x 50lbs, 10 x 90lbs, 6+2 x 140lbs

DB Side Lateral Raise:

10 x 10lbs, 9 ½ x 17.5lbs

Go up to 20lbs

Low Pulley Raise:

11 x 10lbs

Try 15lbs next week

Reverse Flyes-Machine:

12 x 40lbs, 11 x 70lbs

GO up to 85lbs

Tricep Pushdown:

12 x 35lbs, 13 x 50lbs

Go p to 57.5lbs

Lying Tricep Etension:

10 x 30lbs, 9 x 50lbs

Seated Overhead Tricep Press:

12 x 30lbs, 6 x 50lbs

Plank:

1min, 1min, 35secs

Stretches:

Stretch all body, definitely needs it

Notes:

Awesome workout really enjoyed working shoulders today, unfortnately i couldn't beat shoulder press from last time but not to worry i WILL beat it next week. All other exercises i got at least another rep.

Feeling good and not felt hungry today after having a few hundred extra calories.

Camt wait to take photo this weekend to see if there is any change, i know its still early but any change just gets me even more motivated.

Legs

10 mins warm up elliptical trainer

Started with 5 – 10 mins of Active Leg stretches

Leg Extension:

12 x 70lbs, 10 x 85lbs, 11 x 130lbs

Up to 145lbs next week

45 Leg Press:

12 x 110lbs, 10 x 160lbs, 11 x 200lbs

Really happy with this, great technique and can go for 220lbs

Squats (Should have been but could not get on squat rack, so used different leg press):

12 x 100lbs, 10 x 145lbs, 7 x 175lbs

Stiff Leg Deadlift:

12 x 50lbs, 12 x 110lbs

Need to get an Olympic Barbell next week

Calf Extension:

10 x 70lbs, (Rest, pause – 12 x 100lbs, 11 x 100lbs 9 x100lbs)

Go up on this

Seated Calf Press:

10 x 90lbs, 7 x 140lbs

Torso Twists:

20, 20, 20

Stretches:

Leg stretches

Started 2.45pm

Finished 3.45pm Total:- 1 hour

Nutrition

Homemade Protein Bar

Protein Shake and Banana

Protein Shake, 3 Rice Cakes and Peanut Butter

4 Litres of Water

Calves were pumped today, great workout and really enjoyed it today. Only problem was that i struggled to muscle my way onto the squat rack as they were taken by day dreamers and people who spend longer doing squats then i spend in the gym. I'll muscle my way onto squat rack next week for sure.

Cardio

Treadmill

20 Min High Intensity Interval Training

Consists of 4 cycles, increasing speed every minute then start again and on last loop go all out as fast as you can for 1 minute.

Start at Mph: 3.5

Fastest Mph: 8.5

Distance : 1.9 Miles

Next cardio session go for 3.6 – 8.6, felt great the run today. I felt like I had really challenged myself but I know I can always do better so I will up it again next time.

Stretches:

Mainly for legs as my hamstrings felt tight.

Nutrition

Homemade Protein Bar

Protein Shake and Banana